Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 09:12:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Becoming a pastor?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Becoming a pastor?  (Read 1772 times)
HappyGirl

View Profile
« on: April 20, 2009, 03:15:22 PM »

Exactly what do you have to do to become a pastor? Specifically, for children? I have a real heart to serve children. I have been called by God to take care of children. I have already been a teacher for a long time, and am currently a nanny. However, I won't be nanny forever.  At a conference (Joyce Meyer) last year I had a vision of me working in the mission field with children. What exactly does it take to do these types of things? What kind of degree in college would I need to get? What kind of training, specifically, do you do? What do you have to learn about? How do you know if the Lord has called you? What all does a pastor do? Anything and everything you can tell me, I would appreciate!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2009, 03:58:09 PM »

Hello HappyGirl,

I'd like to attempt to answer part of this, and maybe my answers will help on all of it. Many in my family are missionaries all over the world, so I'll try to relate what they've told me. First, their work is dangerous and could involve being killed, but nothing like this has happened in my family - THANK THE LORD!

I honestly think that the first step must be Bible Study and MUCH PRAYER especially. Many of the missionaries are sponsored by missionary organizations that have been around for a long time. It takes considerable money to just get there to the work, and any language differences must be taken care of first. I'm thinking about The Navigators and Campus Crusade for Christ - both part of the same organization. There is also considerable education involved first - The Bible and teaching methods being first. The secondary education involves the specific needs of the people where they are going. All of this must be very organized and is. Various locations of mission work involve various serious needs of the people they will be serving, and they are trained to help the people (i.e. clean water, food preparation, shelter, disease, and more). Helping the people survive gains the confidence of the people and then makes it possible to share the GOSPEL at the same time. They then teach others to do the same thing they are and try to help more and more people as the ministry progresses.

I think that the first big thing to know is a lot of effort and probable danger is involved. Forget about making money because necessity is the only thing that the sponsors try to provide. The necessity part is large, so the sponsor is going to be careful to make sure you are serious first and are willing to learn what it takes before they risk large sums of money on you. Some of the organizations have training grounds here where it is still safe, and older missionaries can see how serious you are first. The funds they use are offerings, and they must account for every penny. Trying it here first is smart because you get a chance to see things first, and so does the organization. Depending on the mission, you really might be going to your death. NOW, I would go back to the first two highest priorities - Bible Study and PRAYER - especially PRAYER. GOD can help you find out if this is HIS WILL for you. The Navigators are one of the oldest Missionary Organizations, and they support missionaries all over the world. They are also known for properly addressing educational needs and other needs in an excellent manner. You can easily find many links in Google for Navigators and Campus Crusade for Christ. Their materials are excellent, and their methods are tested far over 5 decades.

I hope this helps some. Let me conclude with one statement that speaks volumes. If GOD calls you, HE will equip you and send you. Please - this statement is not abstract, rather very serious and TRUE.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Isaiah 54:13 NASB  13  "All your sons will be taught of the LORD; And the well-being of your sons will be great.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2009, 04:34:23 PM »

The information that Brother Tom has given to you is some really great info. I also recommend the Moody Bible Institute for materials and assistance. They have a number of programs that I think that you will find invaluable.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2009, 04:48:55 PM »

The information that Brother Tom has given to you is some really great info. I also recommend the Moody Bible Institute for materials and assistance. They have a number of programs that I think that you will find invaluable.

Hello Pastor Roger,

Brother, I agree 100%. The Moody Bible Institute is wonderful and one of the best and oldest. Their reputation is impeccable, and I give thanks that their work for the LORD continues.

Love In Christ,
Tom

John 10:8-10 ASV  8  All that came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door; by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and go out, and shall find pasture. 10 The thief cometh not, but that he may steal, and kill, and destroy: I came that they may have life, and may have it abundantly.

HappyGirl

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »

Thanks so much.
What about just being a children's pastor? ( I don't mean "just"... as thinking of it as "less than"...sorry) I mean, what about... if I wanted to be in children's ministry? Or even ministry with older adults? Do you suppose there are different types of training for that? How long does it take to become a pastor/ minister?

I am meeting with my pastor on Friday to talk to him more about this as well.

And I'm not worried about the money thing... I've always been poor and I'm quite comfortable with it  Wink
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2009, 06:48:06 PM »

This information applies no matter what ministry you may want to be in.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 12:28:05 AM »

Hello HappyGirl,

Again, I agree with Pastor Roger completely. Nothing can replace Bible Study and PRAYER if we want to do something for the LORD. I firmly believe that GOD provides opportunities for HIS Children to serve HIM, and that is HIS WILL for that Child at that time. I also firmly believe that it's smart for GOD'S Children to go through their entire lives continually seeking and yielding to their Heavenly Father's Will. Maybe it involves formal training, maybe it doesn't, or maybe it involves a combination of different types of learning. If one is yielded to GOD in this matter, HE will determine these things. It's not funny how things work out --  RATHER it's GODLY how things work out when HIS Children are yielded to HIM.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 147:11 ASV  11  Jehovah taketh pleasure in them that fear him, In those that hope in his lovingkindness.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 12:40:14 PM »

I cannot add any more advice than what has already been given.  All I can add is my prayers that God will show you what direction He wants you to go in.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the