Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:40:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  YOuth leader needs help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: YOuth leader needs help  (Read 1220 times)
gennex

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2004, 04:42:10 PM »

Cry Over the past year my youth group took a bad turn. I have asked for forgivness and ready to move on. But I don`t have much resources for them every saturdays.

Can you guys help me in finding information for my youth group. I also welcome your suggestions on how to get this up and running again.

Thanks Undecided
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 04:57:35 PM »

What do you mean by "bad turn?"

With kids of different ages, the Youth Group is different.  How old are the kids? Mostly Middle School, College?

If you have the full backing of the Church leadership, I'm sure they can help you come up with some good Ideas.

As a 19 year old, let me give you one good tip: don't you the letter X when titling ANYTHING.  Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
gennex

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 05:04:30 PM »

Thanks dude about the letter 'X' Grin

Well I mean, we did not do as much as was expected of us to do....

Do you have any articles, drama...etc that can be of great help.

Thanks
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 05:26:13 PM »

Drama, eh? I've got plenty of ideas. If you are just starting back up, take it slow. Maybe a single Drama for the Church will bring people together. The Sin chair is a fun one. An oldie, but a goodie. You know, the comical one where the guy gets stuck to the chair. But, that is a one man show. Once, my group did a skit to the Carman song "Champion." He had devils and Angels, "God" was standing on a chair is a ref shirt. We sued black lights, where Jesus and the Angels whore white, and Satan and his gang whore blue/gray/off-white. Black lights and white clothes was all the rage a few years back. there are all kind of fun things to do. Once, we whore all black with only white gloves, and did a signing to a song. It looked pretty cool, too.

Are you one of the youth, a Young adult or an older adult? It does matter. As a youth or Young adult, they might be upsetwith you, or disrespectful, because they will see you as a friend and an equal, not a leader.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2004, 05:28:08 AM »

Can you guys help me in finding information for my youth group. I also welcome your suggestions on how to get this up and running again.

I'd suggest having all the youth together and then presenting the question to them.... An open discussion type thing where they all have some input into what their expectations (of a youth group) are, what they'd like to learn more about, how they learn best, what they don't like, etc. That should give you a starting point and get the creative juices flowing.
You can also use books geared to that age that they might like to read to get discussions started. There's a Josh Harris book ("I Kissed Dating Goodbye") that has a study guide with it (for teens) that will make them think. Even with out the study guide it should generate some meaty discussions. That's just an example, there's more geared to youth that you could use. Without a book, you could use real-life examples of problems that your youth encounter and Scriptural answers on how to deal with them. Get them going straight to The Word for answers for a life-long impact!

Personally, I think that local missions projects need to be included. Putting feet to faith, so to speak. Depending on the size of the group, some ideas are: Helping the elderly with yardwork, car washing, housecleaning, etc. Helping out with literacy programs, homeless shelters, etc. Depending on the size of your city..... If they've never done anything like that before, they start off a bit whiney but end up feeling the satisfaction of doing something for nothing as they head towards doing it for Christ!

How big is the youth group? How many males and females? Are they older or younger?

Sorry, is that too much?  Embarrassed

gennex

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2004, 07:17:29 AM »

Well guys thanks for that start.

Tibby
I do think I should look into that aspect that you`ve raised about they feeling me being equal with them.

Sincereheart....
It is not too much.....Thanks a bunch. The youth group is small. This year I`ve decided that quantity is not a factor but quality. So we are working on getting those that are realy serious about serving the Lord to a higher....not forgeting those that are not serious.

I also used some of those example that you shared, but as I must say, some of the youths make lots of style...Don`t want to take part in the activities....

I covit your prayers...
Peace out...
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2004, 11:36:28 AM »

I think a "leader", no matter who s/he is, has to focus on being a servant.  You'll have to take the initiative on serving them--likely, individually, even.  That won't be easy.  But taking an interest in them.  And, it'll have to be a genuine interest.

Why are you the youth leader, anyway?

As your servanthood takes hold, that example will elicit similar sympathies from those you are serving...

It means being rooted daily in the Word.

gennex

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2004, 02:24:12 PM »

Symphony
Thanks bro...for those word of encouragement. I do have a problem when reading the word of God.

I sometimes don`t read my bible and then sometime i read it.

Thanks anyway for those word of encouragement...

Be cool....dude Grin
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2004, 01:06:20 AM »

Let us know how it's going, gennex... Smiley
gennex

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2004, 10:37:59 AM »

Hello there..Thanks for the encouragement...

It is moving on and I must say it is great. We had a good start this weekend and I`m looking forward for another great weekend with the youths.

We are planing a visitation this coming weekend, that should be fun.

Thanks again...
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004, 06:44:50 PM »

Okay.  Sounds good, gennex.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the