Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:59:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Believing without looking stupid
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Believing without looking stupid  (Read 6667 times)
bloodofthelamb

View Profile
« on: April 09, 2009, 10:06:14 PM »

Hi, I'm new here, and I need help. My parents are atheists and my mother has asked me "do you believe in the bible?" I want to say yes, because I do, but I'm afraid that I'll look stupid. She worries that I'll get taken advantage of and get scammed out of my money by false churches and organizations. How do I tell my mother that I do believe in the bible without looking like a fool?  Huh
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:48:43 AM by bloodofthelamb » Logged

The Lord is my Shepherd.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 10:51:11 PM »

Hello and welcome to Christians Unite forums.

Scripture gives us an excellent answer to this.

1Co 1:18  For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

1Co 2:14  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
1Co 2:15  But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

No matter what we say or do it will seem as foolishness to this that do not believe. We must not let that prevent us from following Jesus Christ.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
bloodofthelamb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 05:53:26 AM »

Thank you! I never knew the bible could hold the answer to so much! It's been months since I've touched it because of college. May our good Lord bless you.

The Lord is my Shepherd.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 06:45:22 AM »

Hello BloodoftheLamb,

WELCOME!

First, I want to say AMEN! to what Pastor Roger has already told you.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy Christians Unite. There is no shame in claiming JESUS CHRIST as LORD and SAVIOUR! The issues surrounding money can wait until you settle into a church that you're comfortable with.

The big issue is worshipping the LORD, studying GOD'S WORD, and growing strong in CHRIST. I think that it would be good for you to pray for GOD'S help in finding a local assembly of believers to meet with. You can visit various churches first and see what their priorities are. As far as I'm concerned, teaching GOD'S WORD should be the highest priority - not money. If money is the first and highest priority of a local assembly, you're in the wrong church.

I'll be praying for you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Colossians 2:13-17 NASB  13  When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions,  14  having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.  15  When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.  16  Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day--  17  things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 04:03:09 PM »

Amen to that. 

And welcome to the forums.  And you will be called foolish by the world and the world will hate you for believing in Christ.  But always remember that you are no longer of this world, simply in it.  And it will be hard to have to deal with your parents, but you have a Father that wants to build a relationship with you, and one that has already sacrificed more than anyone else ever could.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

Welcome bloodofthelamb!!!

I hope you're still checking back with this forum. We've just watched a teaching by Chuch Missler discussing an architectural "fingerprint" of God that is contained within the Bible. The Bible is like no other book in the world, telling us the "end from the beginning", or telling us what will be in the future, starting with the first book of the Bible.

But there are some astounding facts about this book that may peek the interest of unbelievers.
You've probably noticed that the Bible uses the number 7 very prominently throughout.

Imagine yourself getting an assignment to design a family tree, a geneology. And, by the way, you can do this from fiction - you can make it up as you go. Except I've got a couple of rules I want you to follow:

- The number of words that you used to be divisible exactly by 7, evenly - there can be no remainder. In other words it has to be either 7, 14, 21, 28, etc. words exactly.
 - Also, I want the number of letters that you used to also be an exact multiple of 7.      (CONT'D)
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 01:25:57 PM »

- Now, also, we're talking in the Greek language here - in English sometimes you could fudge a little.
- Next, the number of vowels and the number of consonants must also be divisible by 7 exactly.
 (Now, everytime I add a rule it makes it tougher - with each one you've got 1 chance of winning & 6 of losing)
- Next, the number of words that begin with a vowel must be divisible by 7.
- Also, the number of words that begin with a consonant must be divisible by 7.
- The number of words that occur more than once to be divisible by 7.
Are you getting the feeling that this would be hard to do?
- Next, those that occur in more than one form must be divisible by 7.
- Those that occur in only one form must be divisible by 7.
- The number of nouns shall be divisible by 7.
- Only 7 words shall not be nouns.      (Cont'd)

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009, 01:41:05 PM »

- The number of names shall be divisible by 7.
- Only 7 other kinds of nouns besides names, are permitted.
- The number of male names shall be divisible by 7.
- The number of generations shall be divisible by 7. (21)

You probably can see where I'm headed here, because this is the description of the geneology of Jesus Christ found in Matthew 1:1-11, in the original Greek! These are the discoveries of Dr. Ivan Panin, who graduated from Harvard in 1882 with a PHd in mathmatics. But then he discovered Christ! He committed the rest of the 50 years of his life. studying the mathematical structures in the Bible. This is only a small portion.
This is not something you can simulate! This is no ordinary book!!!  Shocked
This book is dictated by the Holy Spirit. It is like no other book in history. There are so many more 'impossiblities' such as the possiblity of any one person fulfilling the over 300 prophecies about the Messiah in the Bible. The chances of anyone fulfilling these prophecies to the letter are more than the number of all the atoms in the universe!!!!! (I could give you more on that but thought the above was a good beginning illustration of the awesome Word of God!)
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 02:06:22 PM »

Jesus Christ is God, who came in the form of a man, to be the perfect 'Lamb of God' that took away the sin of the world. But because we sinful human beings couldn't possibly understand a perfect God, He humbled Himself out of love for us, He made Himself small - or, you could say, He translated Himself into a human being, which was something we could understand, but His flesh was the veil, we couldn't behold His Glory and live.

The word for "weight" and "glory" in Hebrew is the same word. Because He's too heavy for us, we'd be crushed if He fully revealed Himself to us. And so He came as a man, he taught us the full meaning of Scripture, He was sinless, He showed us how to walk or how to act in this life. Then he died, was buried, and defeated death and the grave by rising again.
The first part of the Bible is God's self-revelation of Himself and what he requires of us - His Commandments. The second part (the New Testament) is God Himself, showing us how to live. He came in the form of a man and rescued all that would believe on Him from eternal separation from Him. All we have to do is accept His perfect sacrifice.
Again I say, THIS IS NO ORDINARY BOOK!!!!!!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2009, 02:21:44 PM »

Amen Sister Barbara!

God's Word is indeed more than just an amazing masterpiece, rather a Supernatural Masterpiece because it is the inspired Word of God. It would seem impossible for so many writers over such a long period of time to write a flowing dialog that proves itself over and over. In fact, it would be impossible without the God Breathed Word given to the Inspired Writers.

A large number of Bible Prophecies have already been fulfilled, and they were fulfilled most perfectly. The probability of just the Prophecy on Jesus Christ being fulfilled would take a scientific calculator to determine. Yet, there is much more that includes many other writers and scientific evidence of all kinds. There have been numerous breathtaking discoveries just this year that prove portions of the Bible. We can even read about the future in the Holy Bible, and that future might be soon. If one looks at the mountains of supporting evidence, it takes more faith to dismiss the Holy Bible than to believe it.

Sister Barbara, thanks for sharing. I firmly believe that the time will come soon when God will subject all things under His Feet, but we both know that the earth must go through a horrible time first. Sadly, many will die in their sins - rejecting the only one who can rescue them from the curse of sin and death. Jesus Christ is His Holy Name.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 01:53:21 PM »

Amen, Brother Tom!! The Word of God is, as you said, a Supernatural Masterpiece (I like that)!!!
We're having fun and are being amazed at some of the overwhelming evidence that the Bible is unlike any book in the world - we're watching Chuck Missler's series on Sky Angel and buying his studies.
Here's something else from Mr. Missler:
"...This blew me away! I had to get it in the briefing today for those of you that are mathmatically or technically oriented.
Genesis 1:1 - 'In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.'
If you look at the Hebrew letters (in Hebrew the letters or the Alphabet are also numbers - they have no Arabic number system as we do - each Hebrew letter is also a number) and you take:

The number of letters x the product of the letters and divide by
The number of words x the product of the words

You get      Pi  =3.1416 x 10 to the 17th!!!!!                                         Cont'd...

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 02:07:06 PM »

Cont'd...

Now look at John 1:1, that's the other major creation verse. We looked at Genesis 1:1, now John 1:1
We need a little background here. How many know what "e" is? If you've been in high math or advanced engineering you would. John Napier was the inventor of what we call logarithms - a 'natural' or 'Napierian' Logarithms.
It's a strange number, the letter 'e' comes up all through advanced math. The number e is most commonly defined as the limit of the expression (1 + 1/n)n
as n becomes large without bound.
This limiting value is approximately 2.7182818285
The number e forms the base of natural, or Napierian, logarithms.
In geometry, e is a necessary component for many curves, such as the catenary, the shape assurred by a cord suspended from its extremities..there are scads of equasions. The main point is e shows up all over the landscape in mathmatics. It's one of the 2 basic constants in the universe - Pi and e[/i]

Having said all that, you go to John 1:1
                                                                Cont'd...
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 02:27:14 PM by Barbara » Logged
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 02:16:24 PM »

Cont'd...
John 1:1 'In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.'
Take that in the Greek, and do the same thing as we did with Genesis (by the way, the letters of the Greek Alphabet also stand for numbers), take -

The number of letters x the product of the letters
    The number of words x the product of the words

and guess what you get? You get the value of e
= 2.7183 x 10 to the 65th = e x 10 to the 65th

It's too bizarre to ignore!!! I'm stunned, because the probablility of that happening by accident is absurd! by definition, anything with a probability of ten to the 50th or more is absurd!
So here we have hidden in the very structure of the text of the creation, 2 of the fundamental constants in the field of advanced mathematics - Pi and e - and e was not discovered until the 17th century!                     Cont'd...
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 02:24:33 PM »

Cont'd...
How did John contrive to put that in his Greek? I don't think he did. I think the Holy Spirit did.
The Rabbis would call this a 'remez', or a hint of something deeper, and we'll find more as we go through the Bible!"

So, this book, then, is not for 'stupid' people. It is, though, for simple people who want to know God and have been called by Him to come into a deeper relationship with Him. He loves you! He also proves, in so many ways, that this book called the Bible is absolute TRUTH. What I've written so far is a minute part of what is within His Word, hidden for those who would keep reading, keep studying, to uncover treasure beyond compare!

There is more info I'd like to post for you on the probability of Jesus fulfilling all of the prophecies of the Bible. It is an excellent study, as is every jot and tittle of this Holy book. But there is no stupidity in anyone called by God, according to His purpose, but there is wisdom, truth and understanding, that the world has never known hidden in the pages of this magnificent book!! You are blessed, bloodofthelamb, to be called!!!!!!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:20:18 PM »

Amen! - Thanks Sister Barbara for sharing!

"Believing without looking stupid" was the subject for this thread. I personally believe that one would have to be stupid for rejecting God and His Word. There are mountains of evidence that God exists and His Word is absolute truth.

Yes, there has to be a Creator, and He told us what He wants us to know about His Creation. He will reveal more to His Children at His Appointed Time. Until then, it's just common sense to believe in God and Trust every word in the Holy Bible.

As a CONTRAST, it would take tremendous faith to believe in the "big bang" and goop somehow getting together to form man. This is outrageous nonsense. The only explanation for Creation that makes any sense is God's Explanation!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 19:1-14 KJV  The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.  2  Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.  3  There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.  4  Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,  5  Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.  6  His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.  7  The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.  8  The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.  9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.  10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.  11  Moreover by them is thy servant warned: and in keeping of them there is great reward.  12  Who can understand his errors? cleanse thou me from secret faults.  13  Keep back thy servant also from presumptuous sins; let them not have dominion over me: then shall I be upright, and I shall be innocent from the great transgression.  14  Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the