Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:01:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How can you be sure the Bible is inspired of God?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How can you be sure the Bible is inspired of God?  (Read 10320 times)
Mandy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2003, 01:31:09 AM »

~quote~
However, for some adults, if we first understand that Jesus and the bible isn't just a bunch of "nice stories", that there is a load of corroborating archaeological and historical evidence that prove these biblical events and characters are real, then it becomes much easier to become a true believer.
~/quote~

I think that's reasonable and about where I'm at. Smiley
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2003, 02:09:30 AM »

~quote~
However, for some adults, if we first understand that Jesus and the bible isn't just a bunch of "nice stories", that there is a load of corroborating archaeological and historical evidence that prove these biblical events and characters are real, then it becomes much easier to become a true believer.
~/quote~

I think that's reasonable and about where I'm at.   Smiley

Mandy,

I believe that God uses a great number of ways to draw people to His Son and a saving faith in Him and Him alone.  Do you think that this kind of evidence is helping you become a true believer?  If so, here's a verse that may well help you along:

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Hebrews 11:1

You may well find evidence that corroborates the bible, and that may well give you a better feeling about believing it.  However, when it comes down to it, it's still a matter of faith.  We see God in nature the bible tells us:

"The heavens declare the glory of God,
   and the sky above proclaims his handiwork." Psalm 19:1

We have evidence of His existence.  But when it comes down to it, it's faith that brings us into that relationship with Him.  Where then does this faith come from?

"So faith comes from hearing, and hearing through the word of Christ." Romans 10:17

God may very well be using this evidence to bring you to Himself.  The question isn't then, "Do I believe in God because of nature or the bible," but rather "What am I going to do with this belief?"  Are you at this point perhaps?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2003, 05:42:38 AM »

I think Shaka's original answer was pretty good:  I Corinthians 2:14:  

"The unspiritual man does not receive the the gifts of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned."

I think specifically, you CAN be sure the bible is inspired, because it is spiritually discerned.  (um, known as "joy", um, in some circles......hehe).
Mandy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2003, 06:42:33 AM »

I think specifically, you CAN be sure the bible is inspired, because it is spiritually discerned.  (um, known as "joy", um, in some circles......hehe).

Hmmm - can you define the phrase 'spiritually discerned' please - I'm missing something here *grins*

It's once bitten twice shy in my case.  Been there, had a religion, got sucked in, got abused, in fact it's a minor miracle that I'm opening up again. This time I'll need more than isolated scriptures taken out of context and a sense of wanting to believe to convince me (and believe me I *want* to believe). I think age has something to do with it too, I was more ready to take the leap of faith that seems to be required in my early twenties. I'm 37 now and a bit older and wiser.

Allinall Smiley

Do you think that this kind of evidence is helping you become a true believer?

That's what I'm hoping for.  Working towards an improvement  in knowledge.  So far this has been the most convincing article I have found http://www.biblemagazine.com/magazine/vol-9/issue-4/evidence.html

Thanks everyone for your replies.
asaph
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2003, 05:06:54 PM »

Hi Mandy,
Have you talked to Jesus yet? If you do He will not turn you away. Talk to Jesus daily and read the Bible. A good way to read the Bible is to "pray read" it.

Example:
Psalm 1
1   Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

Jesus, teach me to walk stand and sit in your presence. Help me to love sinners yet not get trapped in what they do.

2   But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

As I read your words from the Bible make our fellowship sweet. Give me understanding, let your law be my delight.

3   And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper.

Today I want to drink from your river of delights. I long to bear much fruit, fruit that is pleasing to you. To enjoy you is my prosperity.

4   The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

Let my life be like you, like whole wheat, not like windblown chaff.

5   Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

Let me be gathered with your people at the coming of Jesus. In the mean time, while I wait, let me have sweet fellowship with others in your name today.

6   For the LORD knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Know me and my ways, keep me and preserve me forever.

asaph Smiley
Shaka

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2003, 07:54:38 PM »

'Spiritually discerned' Means that the things of the Spirit of God are recognized or understood only by the Spirit of God, in whom all Christians have.  There must be congeniality between the perceiver and the thing perceived.  So since we have the Holy Spirit, we can now, by the Spirit (spiritually) recognize (discern) the things given to us by God.
Mandy

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2003, 09:26:31 PM »

Thank you Asaph and Shaka.

Asaph:  No I haven't talked to Jesus yet, something is holding me back.  I think maybe I am coming from a far too logical viewpoint but I'm getting there slowly.

Thank you for the prayer example Smiley

Shaka Smiley Thank you for your reply, that really helped clear things up for me.
asaph
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2003, 01:11:27 PM »

Thank you Asaph and Shaka.

Asaph:  No I haven't talked to Jesus yet, something is holding me back.  I think maybe I am coming from a far too logical viewpoint but I'm getting there slowly.

Thank you for the prayer example Smiley

Shaka Smiley Thank you for your reply, that really helped clear things up for me.
Mandy,
Whatever is holding you back is not from the Lord Jesus. It could be your imagination that is holding you back. The spirit that is now at work in the world is confusing your mind to keep you from coming to Jesus, but it can prevail only if you let it. My advice to you is to reject outright that spirit and go forward to Jesus. Jesus will take down any walls that might stand in the way. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Resist the devil and he will run from you.

2 Corinthians 10
 4   (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;)
5   Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

You have God on your side, and if He is for you who can be against you. Prayers are being said for you.

asaph  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the