Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:46:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286809 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Being Blunt
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being Blunt  (Read 842 times)
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« on: January 25, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »

Is being blunt always a good thing? Can one be too blunt? If one isn't blunt, are they necessarily compromising or sugar coating?

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 10:44:49 AM »

Hello David,

Yes, being blunt is a good thing when it means telling the truth especially when it is God's truth. If we are not blunt and to the point many may be misled into thinking many things that are not true. The most important part of being blunt is in our hearts. We must do so out of the love of and for God, the love of all others. A part of this is to ensure that we are being blunt for the right reasons, because we are truly concerned for the soul of these people and not just because we want to prove that we are right but rather that God is right, God does love them and does not wish to lose any of them. If we are not blunt in telling the truth then they may truly be lost to Him.

Much more can be said on this and I do hope that others will join us in this conversation.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 12:48:24 PM »

Even though I agree, some say if you are too blunt, you'll drive people away.

Rev 21:4  And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

Is being blunt always a good thing? Can one be too blunt? If one isn't blunt, are they necessarily compromising or sugar coating?

Hello Brother David,

First, I want to say that I agree 100% with what Pastor Roger has said.

I think that the REAL answer to this question with all of the possible side issues and circumstances can only be KNOWN by GOD.

If we are talking about GOD'S WORD and HIS GOOD NEWS, I firmly believe that it should be FULL-STRENGTH. That's the way that GOD Gave it and the way that HE intended it. This, ALONE, would make Christians hated by the world - those who love darkness. Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the WORD OF GOD. One of the first steps to SALVATION is the realization of SIN - wrong-doing.

Brother David, the above doesn't address radical extremes like the Westborro Baptist Church. GOD'S WORD doesn't tell us to yell, scream, and curse at people in the most cruel ways. They are definitely driving people away from them and NOT toward GOD. If someone doesn't like us, but it leads to them accepting CHRIST, that's fine. We aren't in the business of trying to win a beauty contest or a popularity contest, BUT GOD didn't tell us to be RADICAL EXTREMISTS like some of the false religions today. The TRUTH of GOD'S WORD is harsh enough, and it's "sharper than any two-edged sword."

However, one can be TOO blunt unnecessarily, and I'm guilty of that too often. I have the leading and conviction that I am, so this is something that I pray about often. On the other side of the coin, there are full-time servants of GOD who are of the fire and brimstone type that GOD uses for HIS Purposes. I'm not claiming that of myself and view many of my times of bluntness as failures. I'm not going to try and justify all of my times of bluntness. I would ask all to read the Portion of Scripture Below and ask all Christians to pray for guidance - not just for themselves but for other Christians who are trying to serve GOD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Timothy 4:1-4 KJV  I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;  2  Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.  3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;  4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

2 Timothy 4:1-4 AMP  I CHARGE [you] in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, Who is to judge the living and the dead, and by (in the light of) His coming and His kingdom:  2  Herald and preach the Word! Keep your sense of urgency [stand by, be at hand and ready], whether the opportunity seems to be favorable or unfavorable. [Whether it is convenient or inconvenient, whether it is welcome or unwelcome, you as preacher of the Word are to show people in what way their lives are wrong.] And convince them, rebuking and correcting, warning and urging and encouraging them, being unflagging and inexhaustible in patience and teaching.  3  For the time is coming when [people] will not tolerate (endure) sound and wholesome instruction, but, having ears itching [for something pleasing and gratifying], they will gather to themselves one teacher after another to a considerable number, chosen to satisfy their own liking and to foster the errors they hold,  4  And will turn aside from hearing the truth and wander off into myths and man-made fictions.

David_james
Gold Member

Jesus loves you

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 08:30:07 PM »

However, take this example of me not being blunt.

Me: You need something to take away your sins. Do you think you can remove it yourself?
Friend: I think I can remove most of it.
Me: but not all?
Friend: I don't know
Me: Well you can't and even a little sin can't enter heaven. You need Jesus.

See how I wasn't blunt without losing any truth?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 09:28:38 PM »

Hello Brother David,

This is a good example, and there would be many more just like it. I was just reflecting on statements I've heard many times from atheists and agnostics - them talking about how good they are - better than most Christians they know. Being good in their case would be a variable of man - not GOD, and their so-called goodness would mean nothing to GOD.

I also couldn't count the number of times I've heard well-meaning, self-professing Christians say that people have to earn their SALVATION by doing good works and NOT SINNING. Most Christians should know that SALVATION was paid for by CHRIST on the CROSS, and man can't do anything to earn SALVATION. Further, it's impossible for mankind NOT TO SIN, and any righteousness man thinks he has is as filthy rags in the eyes of GOD. This is GOD'S WORD - not mine. This is why FAITH IN JESUS CHRIST is the only way for SALVATION. Our part is to pray for forgiveness, give thanks to GOD, try the best we can to yield to HIS SERVICE - whatever HE leads us to do. We do good works out of love and appreciation for GOD - not for SALVATION.

Love In Christ,
Tom

1 Corinthians 13:11-13 KJV  11  When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.  12  For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.  13  And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity.

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »

I tend to be very blunt in what I say and don't generally beat around the bush. I live by the old saying, "Honesty is the best policy. However, speaking the truth does not give anyone a license to hurt people with their words.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the