Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 01:06:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Death is a Hard Subject
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Death is a Hard Subject  (Read 2154 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2004, 12:22:43 PM »

In November 2002 I suffered a heart attack.  I had another in July 2003.  Since I am a relatively young man (48), I considered it all a temporary anomaly.  Since, I have lost lots of weight, began eating right, working out regularly, got my cholesterol levels where they should be, etc, etc.  To be truthful, I thought I had everything under control and figured that as long as I take care of myself that my cardiac problems would be solved.  However during my last visit to my cardiologist, I asked him about my prognosis.  For some reason it is a question I never thought to ask – I figured if there was something he needed to tell me, he would.  Well, you’d have thought I slapped him.  This man, who has always been talkative and jolly suddenly became tongue-tied and sullen.  He wouldn’t look me in the eye, and flipped through my charts repeatedly as if he was searching for something.  Finally – after what seemed 10 minutes, although I know it couldn’t have been but a minute or so – he said, “Jim, the average life expectancy of an American male is 72 years old.  If you were 70, I would say your prognosis would be good – not great but ‘good’.”  So, was he telling me I had about 2 years left?  That’s what it sounded like to me.  
I feel so healthy – it is just so hard believe the doctor!  Am I afraid to die?  Not at all!  Nothing is more attractive to me than heaven.  But I am afraid for Charity, my 17-year old daughter.  The thought of leaving her makes me very sad.  She is saved (praise Jesus!!) and I know we will meet again should my demise come soon.  I actually haven’t even told her – I don’t want her (or anyone else for that matter) to treat me any differently.  
Please pray for me – and especially for my daughter, that if and when I should pass into Jesus’ hands she will remain strong in the faith and continue loving the Lord.  
Thank you all so much.
Jim

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 01:23:00 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to JudgeNot,

Brother I will pray for you and your family. My circumstances are close to yours. I almost died twice in 1998 and asked God to let me finish raising my kids. So far, God has given me 3 years more than I asked for, and I may be around long enough to enjoy several more grandchildren. Currently my prognosis is good, and I may make the 72. Mine was a disease in the spine. I only partially believe what the doctors say. I wasn't supposed to be able to walk, but I'm still walking.

I would simply tell you to stop more often to smell the roses, enjoy the precious moments God gives you with your family, and give thanks. It might be a gift to be encouraged to pay attention to the most important in this short life, God and family. Only God knows - you may be doing the same thing at 80.

I'll be praying for you Brother.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 01:34:28 PM »

Brother, that's a toughy.  I have thought of such things myself.  I am in good health, and if my health were to decline to such a point, I know Whom I have believed.   Smiley  But I would fear for my two girls as well.  The one thing that I thought of at the time was that though I will someday leave them, God never will.  I'm better to introduce them to Him now, and foster their knowledge and love for Him, than I am to do anything else.  Of course, I'm not in your shoes, and it's alot easier said than done.  You have my prayers my friend that God will heal in whatever capacity He sees fit.   Smiley

God bless.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 09:16:25 PM »

Dear Brothers, I am so very sorry to hear of your circumstances, and of course I will pray.

Just in case there is an issue with hardening of the arteries, there is now a brand new treatment available. It injects protein into the veins that attract the plaque away from the arteries and remove it, and within six weeks of treatment, the patient is much better.

Is there anything I can do to help?

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 12:56:32 PM »

hehe, Since I am a relatively young man (48), *sigh*   Roll Eyes

More like ancient history.  *sigh*  Embarrassed

Well, anyway.  Okay.  Let's see.  First, you've chosen your name for a reason; my guess is your in circumstances of a judgemental sort--no matter what you do, you're still "wrong"?  Is that a good guess?  The only way I know to deal with that is find time away from that , if possible, to recharge your batteries.  Whew.  It's no fun.

Second, them thar doctors can be peculiarlly, um, uh...welll.  On my shelf here is a 1992 book, "Left for Dead" by Dick Quinn.  He chronicles his own journey through open heart surgery, the doctors' uncaring progosis, the offhand suggestion by a friend that he try ordinary cayenne pepper, which he dismissed then on a whim tried and was immediately out shoveling snow.  Quite a story.

He recommends other herbs.  The two I take regularly are the cayenne(powder, in a capsule); and, of course, plenty of garlic(i use the ordinary powder--NOT the salt), sprinkled on salads, main dishes.  I'm a garlic hound.  Yeah, baby.  So, of course, the police keep their distance.  (hehe.  sorry, bep).  But, of course, so do the ladies.  Embarrassed

Third, I'm not sure about our view of life.  It has to be a day to day affair, hour to hour--literally, if we're living by faith.  That's all we can do.  Indeed, all that I have here is what he gave me in the first place--that is, my flesh and blood, my ability to think and reason(hehe, no jokes here please).  If he chooses to take it back, via heart attack, or whatever, then so be it.  Bless the Lord, for his inexpressable gift.

But I'm guessing the cayenne might help you along quite a bit, Judgenot.  Maybe ask for that book thru you interlibrary loan.  

I iz a prayin' for you, sir.    Smiley

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 01:01:53 PM »

Ah, yes, and I've heard of the report too that Whitehorse mentioned.  That sounds productive too.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2004, 01:13:09 PM »

Thank you all for your advice and prayers.  They truly lift my heart!  Don’t worry – I haven’t “given up” by any means and never shall – “One day at a time” did not originate in Alcoholics Anonymous as some think – we of faith know it comes from Jesus and that is how I live.  Praise the Lord I’m alive today and I’ll not worry about tomorrow!  (But I will diligently plan for my daughter.)
I am as happy and content now as I was before – maybe more so! (?)
Symphony – I chose JudgeNot as a name because I absolutely refuse to spiritually judge (condemn) anyone – be they protestant, Catholic, Mormon or other.  That kind of judgment is reserved for God – only He can see into hearts.
Two of things I refuse to do in this life:  1. Judge others, 2. Deny the Lord.
Again – thank you all so much – you are a true blessing!

PS – I LOVE garlic!

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2004, 10:21:22 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Whitehorse,

Is there anything I can do to help?

Grin  The only thing that would help me is a spine transplant, and I'm holding out for a cheatah spine. If I'm going to go to all that trouble, I want to be able to run 60+ miles per hour after the operation.   Grin

Symphony, thanks for the information about that cayenne. I might take that just to speed up my current walking.   Cheesy

I really think the bottom line is we are all just mortal beings with problems of one kind or another. Prayer, encouragement, and fellowship is one of the best medicines for all of us.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2004, 12:34:39 AM »

Symphony, thanks for the information about that cayenne. I might take that just to speed up my current walking.

Yes, bep, it will definintely light a fire under you.   (hehe).

Thank you, JudgeNOt.  I see.  That's a good determination to have.  NOt to judge.

Sorta reminds me of the wager Bill Cosby had to make with that live-in guy that neither of them could go a week in the household without saying anything.   Lips Sealed

hehe.  That's a tough one.  Not to judge.

For me, I don't know what I'd ever do in this world if I couldn't judge.  Unfortunately, one of my favorite pastimes.  I think I would lose all sense of purpose.   Undecided

Embarrassed
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2004, 01:05:56 AM »

Thank you all for your advice and prayers.  They truly lift my heart!

Brother, we are all in this together. Believe me, there is power in prayer.

I honestly believe that many doctors tell you things for insurance and malpractice purposes. I also think it is good to get a second opinion in another city.

By the way, I like your reasoning for your handle, JudgeNot. Those of us who are in Christ will only have one judge, and it will be for rewards instead of condemnation.

Love In Christ,
Tom

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2004, 06:34:02 PM »

Hey - BlackEyedPeas -
I just had a GREAT idea!
Why don't we trade - your heart for my spine???

Naw - probably wouldn't work - we probably got different blood types.  Cool

JPD
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2004, 01:06:37 AM »

Hey - BlackEyedPeas -
I just had a GREAT idea!
Why don't we trade - your heart for my spine???

Naw - probably wouldn't work - we probably got different blood types.  Cool

Grin  If you can run 60 mph +, I'll consider it.

I hope you don't mind some of my attempts at humor, and some might not call it humor. I found that laughter is truly one of the best medicines.

Love In Christ,
Tom

peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2004, 04:00:54 PM »

I hope you don't mind some of my attempts at humor, and some might not call it humor. I found that laughter is truly one of the best medicines. Amen! lol

Death indeed, is a hard thing to face, and I think everyone fears it for a while.  I'm so glad you don't, however, I'm just now begining to grasp the meaning of death.  If indeed the worst (or the best, depending on how you look at it) should happen, I think your daughter would find a lot of strength in God, but also in literature.  Some fabulous things have been written over the years including some beautiful quotes and ideas.  "Death is but the next great adventure" after all, and it is a passing that not even the richest, smartest, or prettiest can avoid.  I would recomend the following if you wanted to help her get a grasp on the idea of death.  These have helped me with my grandmother's passing last summer:
Harry Potter (#5) And the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling (with the passing of a main character towars the end of the book)
LOTR: The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien(With the death and rebirth of Gandalf the Grey)
The Chronicles of Narnia (#7 The Last Battle) By C.S.Lewis (This is really more like the Apocolypse, but it paints a good picture of heaven.  
Holy Sonnet 10 by John Donne (the Old English is a tad confusing, but it is a beautiful sonnet)
Other than that, I will be praying for you constantly.  God has a reason for everything, he could be trying to tell you something now.  God Bless You!

Do not be decieved,Wormwood.Our cause is never more in danger than when a human,no longer desiring,but still intending to do God's will,looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished,and asks why he has been forsaken,and still obeys.-CS Lewis,Screwtape
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2004, 02:03:03 AM »

Judge Not,

My prayers are with you friend.  Concern for those we leave behind is understandable.  However, we must remember that Gods Love and care, are far greater than ours.  He loves our loved ones more than we ever could, because his Love is perfect!   While we love our children dearly, our love can never match his love for them.

Indeed death is a difficult thing to contemplate.  The side we see of it from earth is not pleasant.  However, as Christians, I believe death is as simple as walking out of one room to the next, or rather, walking out of this life into Gods glorious presense.  Jesus says, "He that believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live."   What a promise!

Rest in his grace and comfort brothers.  God almighty has it all under control.  He is well aware of our sufferings, and has made the best possible remedy for us in all instances.  Jesus!

My prayers are with You and Bep.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
TigerLily
Gold Member

Laugh often,long & loud.Laugh until you feel it!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2004, 02:41:26 PM »

JN my new found friend..I knew you had a heart problem but didnt realise it was so serious.. im so sorry to hear this.. Cry
I know you are trusting in God to heal you  and help you and please know that i am praying for you.. i love your daughters name.. beautiful..charity was a name i had picked out had i had a girl... its absolutley wonderful that she is saved!. Your a blessed father to have the knowledge that your baby  is saved and in the safe confines of our saviours arms...!!
Anyways please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers,

oh and symphony,, 48 is very young lol.. let me just say the older i get the younger even 70 -75 is getting lol.. Wink
 and BEP (tom) you know your in my prayers as well..
God Bless
Tigerlily

Remember that tho the storms of life may rage & stir things up, cause chaos and at times many hurts, etc...In the end, It can unearth the most beautiful of treasure! Keep Holding on to Jesus thru the storm & He will indeed show you the beauty of life after its all settled & peaceful, Its His Plan!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the