Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:38:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Dangers Of Compromise
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dangers Of Compromise  (Read 4706 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:36:35 PM »

"Turn not to the right hand nor to the left: remove thy foot from evil" (Proverbs 4:27).

Some today disdain the "old farmer" who has been quoted as saying, "God said it. I believe it. That settles it." It appears that it has become passé to base our faith solely on the word of God or to trust explicitly in the clear, simple words of the written text. We must, many seem to demand, have evidential proof of the accuracy and authenticity of the Scriptures before we feel that "others" will accept our faith.

Perhaps the evangelical Church needs reminding how emphatic is the demand for total allegiance and submission to the authority of God's word.

"Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments . . . " (Deuteronomy 4:2).

"Every word of God is pure: . . . Add thou not unto His words, lest He reprove thee, and thou be found a liar" (Proverbs 30:5,6).

"Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled" (Matthew 5:18).

"The scripture cannot be broken; . . ." (John 10:35).

"For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of God without effect? God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; . . ." (Romans 3:3,4).

And perhaps, the Church has forgotten the intense prohibition and terrible consequences to those who would take it upon themselves to alter the word of God.

". . . there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed" (Galatians 1:7,8 ).

"Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ" (Colossians 2:8 ).

". . . keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith" (I Timothy 6:20,21).

"Ye therefore, beloved, . . . beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness" (II Peter 3:17).

"I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book" (Revelation 22:18,19).

When the Lord God of the universe, the Creator of the ends of the earth, the King of kings—whose very name is held to be the greatest name among all created beings; whose name is not to be taken in vain—when He says He has "magnified (His) word above all (His) name" (Psalm 138:2), it does seem prudent, at the least, to respect that word and honor its message.

Yet today, even among the core of evangelicals—indeed, among those who claim to hold to the inspiration of the Bible—there are voices of Christian men and women who are questioning the most basic and foundational revealed truth in Scripture that "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth" (Genesis 1:1). And not merely questioning the curious mechanics and unique events of the creation week, but debating the very words and message of that week. Even more—questioning the character and nature of the God of the Bible by attributing to Him the evil, wasteful, chaotic, random, purposeless, death-filled processes of evolutionary "creation" making God the Author and Sustainer of all that evolution demands.

My dear reader, this cannot be! The worldview which is presented in the Bible is quite incompatible with and un-harmonizeable with that which is presented by the evolutionary philosophers. Every facet of these two diametrically opposed systems of thinking and belief are opposites! They cannot be made to blend together.

One or the other is not real.

Perhaps the most perplexing and distressing phenomenon among the scholars, theologians, scientists, and leading spokespersons on this issue today is—that Christians are the only ones doing the compromising! The evolutionary camp is not being converted to the Biblical message of an omnipotent Creator. They are fast anchored to the atheistic system that excludes a Creator. The evolutionary thinkers are not struggling to find a way to harmonize the events of Genesis 1-11 with the words of Darwin or Stephen J. Gould. They are beating the drum of "science" versus "religion" so loud that they cannot hear the evidence that some Christian apologists would try to get them to consider.

No, the "movement" is among the saints of God! It is the Christian scholars and theologians who are insisting that the words of God be aligned with the words of men. It is the avowed "Bible believers" that are leading their followers down a broad road of compromise with philosophical amalgams like "The Progressive Creation Theory" or "The Framework Hypothesis." The common thread among all of these efforts, including the earlier attempts such as "Theistic Evolution" and the "Gap Theory," is to provide a way for "science" to have the long ages necessary for evolutionary activity, while still allowing for God to "create" mysteriously during the long ages of chaos.

Years ago the "enlightenment" dawned in Europe and darkened the minds of theologians and Christian scholars with the "proof" of intellectual reason and the "science" of evolution. The main streams of Christianity (both Protestant and Catholic) fought fiercely for the approval of secular minds trying to bring about a reconciliation between faith and science, morality and philosophy, and revelation with reason.

As the "higher critics" attacked the authenticity and accuracy of the Scriptures, the theologians bent to accommodate the "naturalistic" interpretation of God's word. When the "scientists" swept the creation account into the dustbin of mythology, the theologians found "allegorical meaning" in the words. And when the philosophers rationalized away the "absolutes" of righteousness and negated the "concept" of sin, the theologians embraced "situational morality" and "cultural diversity."

Time after time, issue after issue, decade after decade, the Christian theologians were the ones who "changed" their positions to placate open hostility to God's Holy Word!

Now, the momentum is building up again toward secular triumph among the evangelical churches, after a few decades of opposition by the "fundamentalist versus modernist" clash in the early years of the twentieth century. Science now supersedes Scripture when there is conflict. Reason and intellect now triumph over Scripture where there is question about the text. In many churches, experience substitutes for doctrine and pragmatic function dominates theology.

Instead of "pulling down of strong holds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ" (II Corinthians 10:4,5) many are "tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive" (Ephesians 4:14). But, my dear brother or sister in Christ, "these things ought not so to be" (James 3:10)!

As Dr. John Morris (President of ICR) is so fond of saying, "This is a wonderful time to be a Bible-believing Christian!" There is more "proof" of the veracity of Scripture in history, archeology, and science than at any other time. More work has been done and published than ever before! There is absolutely no need to retreat into the shallow grave of ignorance and apathy. We should be on the spiritual battlefield, heady with the filling of the Holy Spirit, and rejoicing in the power of the Gospel!

Thankfully, there are still many churches that stand firm for the word of God. There are thousands of Christian leaders, scholars, pastors, theologians, and scientists who both love the Lord Jesus Christ and hold to inerrant Scriptures. There are Christian schools, radio stations, teaching organizations, and mission boards that rejoice in the integrity of the Bible and boldly proclaim their commitment to the absolute authority of God's revealed Word over life and lifestyle. God is not asleep; His reach is not shortened; nor is His ear dulled to the cries of His people.

The command of God was "go" under authority and with ability (Matthew 28:18-20; Acts 1:Cool. Both God's promise and His expectation are for us to use His power and might.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:42:05 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 02:01:09 PM »

Unfortunately, there is too much compromising in too many churches today. Many have become lukewarm, and God hates lukewarmness. Many churches are more concerned with giving people what they want rather than what they need. Some are ordaining homosexuals, using rock "music", and I've even heard songs that weren't in any stretch of the imagination "Christian". False teachings have slipped in and been accepted.

Those who try to stay with the truth of God's word are condemned and called all kinds of names because they won't compromise. I recently experienced that with a friend who said we can't be friends any more because I told him (twice) that I didn't want him sending me e-mails with profanity in them. He said I am sticking my head in the sand and putting myself in the place of God, and he claims to be a Christian. If I was putting myself in the place of God, I would have told him how immoral his home life is with him living with a woman to whom he's not married.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 02:44:22 PM »

Some of it I would call more than just compromising but rather an all out rejection of the word of God and making themselves out to be God.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 01:06:47 PM »

Unfortunately, that is very true. Jesus said that many would say "I am Christ." Many will be fooled by them since they don't know the scriptures. Some even claim to speak with the voice of God. Lucifer was the first one to say "I will be like the most High." Like Lucifer, all others who lift themselves up and proclaim "I am the Christ!" will be cast down.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
xadian66

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 12:44:10 AM »

The type of music a church uses doesnt matter..whether u have a band or a choir as long as ur praising God is all that matter..music has no good or evilness(even if its loud)its the lyrics and intent of the song...so i think rock is ok as long as its positive...im not saying all rock is good like i said it depends on the lyrics..the people playing it and the intent...my church has a praise band and its hard to find a church more passionate about having a relationship with christ..so a church playing a little rock praise music is not being deceived the sound doesnt matter its the content of the song and the meaning...i know some very Godly christian metal bands and their members are some of the Godliest People youll ever meet...granted their are some bad apples out there...not trying to start a debate..my point is just that it doesnt matter how u praise God as long as u praise him with all your heart and soul.
Gaurav

Jesus Rocks!!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 03:31:59 AM »

I think I agree with the majority of you. Many churches in the UK are willing to compromise. Yet, I cannot condemn compromisers, as there was a time when I called myself a Christian, yet I was more than willing to compromise! I thank God that he revealed the level of compromise so clearly to me.

There is a big danger with any sort of compromise. I sometimes wonder what it will be like for so called leaders, who are more than willing to compromise, during the day of judgement. There will be a number of people who believe they are saved and then will find that they are not - why? Because they were never told the truth!

God bless
Gaurav

God = love
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »

The type of music a church uses doesnt matter..whether u have a band or a choir as long as ur praising God is all that matter..music has no good or evilness(even if its loud)its the lyrics and intent of the song...so i think rock is ok as long as its positive...im not saying all rock is good like i said it depends on the lyrics..the people playing it and the intent...my church has a praise band and its hard to find a church more passionate about having a relationship with christ..so a church playing a little rock praise music is not being deceived the sound doesnt matter its the content of the song and the meaning...i know some very Godly christian metal bands and their members are some of the Godliest People youll ever meet...granted their are some bad apples out there...not trying to start a debate..my point is just that it doesnt matter how u praise God as long as u praise him with all your heart and soul.

I think that you're replying to the brief mention of rock music in reply #1 instead of the original poster. I'm an older person and have mixed emotions about certain types of music in church, especially considering the audience that will be listening to it (i.e. young people or older people). I realize that the lyrics of some of the rock music are good. As an older person, I would be concerned about the reverence of certain types of music in a mixed congregation. I might have less concerns if the audience was a youth group wanting to listen to that kind of music. There's another concern about what harsher types of music are generally associated with in our society (i.e. drugs, sex, do your own thing, rebellion, etc.). I realize this is a stereotype and is not fair with Christian rock, but this is how many older people see it. The stereotyping is even worse with heavy metal. As an older person, you can probably tell that I prefer the more traditional worship music in mixed congregations.

Back to the original poster, the main topic is compromise and the dangers that compromise poses. It's back to the purpose for a church and whether or not that church is fulfilling what should be its primary mission - salvation for the lost and building up of the saved. "What part should entertainment play" is a matter for serious concern - rightfully so. The following portion of Scripture comes to mind:

2 Timothy 4:1-5 KJV  I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom;  2  Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.  3  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears;  4  And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.  5  But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 02:17:36 PM »

I think I agree with the majority of you. Many churches in the UK are willing to compromise. Yet, I cannot condemn compromisers, as there was a time when I called myself a Christian, yet I was more than willing to compromise! I thank God that he revealed the level of compromise so clearly to me.

There is a big danger with any sort of compromise. I sometimes wonder what it will be like for so called leaders, who are more than willing to compromise, during the day of judgement. There will be a number of people who believe they are saved and then will find that they are not - why? Because they were never told the truth!

God bless
Gaurav

Hello Gaurav,

Amen! It's great to hear from you. Lost or saved is the all important question.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 04:17:48 PM »

The following is a great example of what my original post is talking about:

CHRISLAM SPREADS THROUGHOUT AMERICA

http://thelastcrusade.org/2010/11/04/chrislam-spreads-throughout-america/

Just to post that word here rips me up inside even though it is being used to show the error of apostates such as Rick Warren and Robert Schuller as well as others following their example in compromising the word of God. To compromise with the devil in this manner is no better than to reject God Himself completely.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 07:04:47 PM »

The following is a great example of what my original post is talking about:

CHRISLAM SPREADS THROUGHOUT AMERICA

http://thelastcrusade.org/2010/11/04/chrislam-spreads-throughout-america/

Just to post that word here rips me up inside even though it is being used to show the error of apostates such as Rick Warren and Robert Schuller as well as others following their example in compromising the word of God. To compromise with the devil in this manner is no better than to reject God Himself completely.

Thanks for sharing this article, even though it's shocking and sickening. In fact, sickening would be an understatement. If you can't tell, I just got back from reading this article. I recommend that all Christians read this article and start praying about this. Brother, I agree with your statement completely. May God give us all the strength, encouragement, and determination to do His Will until He comes to take us Home to be with Him.

Love In Christ,
Tom

xadian66

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 12:11:48 AM »

i do agree that church should not be for entertainment...or for comfort and airconditioning or any of that stuff...its about GOd and only God...some dont even have cushioned seats and climate control or anything they just talk about God for hours...i also agree there are some things that should not be compromised though..especially when it comes to eternity...God bless
Gaurav

Jesus Rocks!!!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 05:25:19 AM »

Wow! That article took me by complete surprise. I hope God reveals the sins being committed here and that there will be repentance!

God = love
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 02:50:03 PM »

Wow! That article took me by complete surprise. I hope God reveals the sins being committed here and that there will be repentance!

It took me completely by surprise also. I was shocked. I honestly think this is a sign of the times that this Age of Grace is nearing an end. The time will come when the Tribulation Period is ushered in and all foretold in the Holy Bible will be fulfilled. Much worse is yet to come. Once it starts, no combination of powers will be able to stop it until the Second Coming of Christ.

xadian66

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 12:55:21 AM »

amen..and i pray that church will become about God again...and not about above stated things...seems now days its more like a social club..and they seem to talk about football more than God...we should all pray for the church and that people would see that the church isnt the building...its the people..and also that everyone should be welcome at church no matter where they are on thier journey in life or what their financial status is..or their past..so many judge and push people away from church...its not a club for christians its a hospital for the hurting and a place anyone should be welcomeespeciallly unbelievers...if people would spend less time judging and more time witnessing and loving....but all we can do is pray and let Gods Will take place...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the