Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:23:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  It is intolerant to say that Christianity is the only true religion?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It is intolerant to say that Christianity is the only true religion?  (Read 1821 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »

It is intolerant to say that Christianity is the only true religion?

Yes it is intolerant. In fact, it is very intolerant to say that Jesus is the way the truth and the life and that no one can get to God except through Him as Jesus Himself said in John 14:6. It is also intolerant to state that there is no other name under heaven other than Jesus by which a person can be forgiven of his sins as Peter said in Acts 4:12.

It is intolerant to say that there is only one true God as Jesus said in John 17:3. It is also intolerant to say that trying to enter into heaven by any other way than Jesus is to be a thief and a robber as Jesus said in John 10:1. Jesus was intolerant when He said that He is the one who reveals God to people (Luke 10:22). Jesus was even more intolerant of religious hypocrisy when He condemned the religious know-it-alls and called them hypocrites and deceivers (Matthew 23:25-26).

Jesus was extremely intolerant of the buying and selling in the temple when He drove the people out of it by force and overturned their money tables (John 2:13-16). Jesus was intolerant of hatred when He said "love your enemies" (Luke 6:27). Jesus was intolerant of ignorance when He taught the people truth (Matthew 5). Jesus was intolerant of prejudice when He gave the parable of the Good Samaritan (Luke 10:30-37).

Yes, Christianity is intolerant because its founder, Jesus, was intolerant. Christianity is intolerant of false gods and false gospels. Why is it so intolerant? Because it is shaped after Jesus. It is intolerant because there is a hell and Jesus, who is God in flesh (John 1:1,14; Colossians 2:9), who died for our sins (1 Peter 2:24), has made the only way to forgiveness a reality: through Him alone (John 14:6) and without Him comes damnation.

On the other hand, Christianity is very tolerant. It teaches to be very forgiving (Matthew 18:21-22), to be patient and kind (Galatians 5:22-23), and to be honest and wholesome (Philippians 4:6-8). Jesus taught us to love and to heal and to be examples of kindness and truth in the world.

Jesus was intolerant of religious hypocrisy and bigotry. He was very intolerant of false teachers. He was intolerant of pride, rebellion, sin, covetousness, adultery, lying, cheating, stealing, fornicating, and murder. He was intolerant of husbands treating their wives poorly. He was intolerant of pain and was saddened by suffering. Yet, at the same time He demonstrated the greatest love and patience with those who were guilty of all these things. Why? Because He is God in flesh, incarnate love, incarnate righteousness, incarnate humility.

The whole issue of whether or not Christianity is intolerant lies in who Jesus is, what He claimed, and what He did. If what Jesus said and did is true, then Christianity isn't intolerant. It is simply true and it is the world that is intolerant of that truth.

Likewise, it is true that Jesus lived. It is true that Jesus walked on water (Matthew 8:26-27). It is true that Jesus healed the sick (Matthew 8:5-13). It is true that Jesus calmed a storm with a command (Mark 4:39). It is true that Jesus raised the dead (Matthew 9:25; John 11:43-44). It is true that Jesus claimed to be God (John 5:18; 8:24; 8:58, also see Exodus 3:14).

It is true that Jesus was killed on a cross (Luke 24:20). It is true that Jesus rose from the dead (Luke 24:39; John 20:27). These are not feeble claims made by crazy people who wanted to gain power and fame. These are the claims of Christ Himself and of those who followed Him and suffered for Him and died for Him.

Either it is all true or it is not. Either Jesus performed miracles or He did not. Either Jesus rose from the dead or He did not. Based solely and completely on who Jesus is and what He did, Christianity is the truth and by necessity all other religions that disagree with Jesus are wrong.

Truth is, by nature, intolerant of falsehood. If Christianity is not true, then Jesus was not God, then Jesus did not do miracles, then Jesus did not heal the sick, then Jesus did not walk on water, then Jesus did not die and rise from the dead after three days. But, if He did do these things, then Christianity alone is true. Of all the religions in the world, only Christianity has the person of Jesus and Jesus said that He alone was the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).

Christianity is only as intolerant as Jesus is true.

— Source Unknown

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 01:52:34 PM »

Is Christianity the One True Religion?

Yes, Christianity is the one true religion. That may sound awfully dogmatic and narrow-minded, but the simple truth is that Christianity is the only true religion. Jesus said that He alone was the way to the Father (John 14:6), that He alone revealed the Father (Matthew 11:27; Luke 10:22). Christians do not go around saying Christianity is the only way because they are arrogant, narrow-minded, stupid, and judgmental. They do so because they believe what Jesus said.

They believe in Jesus, who claimed to be God (John 8:58; Exodus 3:14), who forgave sins (Mark 2:5; Luke 5:20; 7:48), and who rose from the dead (Luke 24:24-29; John 2:19f). Jesus said that He was the only way. Jesus is unique. He was either telling the truth, He was crazy, or He was a liar. But since everyone agrees that Jesus was a good man, how then could He be both good and crazy, or good and a liar? He had to be telling the truth. He is the only way.

Christianity is not just a religion; it is a relationship with God. It is a trusting in Jesus and what He did on the cross (1 Corinthians 15:1-4), not on what you can do for yourself (Ephesians 2:8-9).

Buddha didn't rise from the dead, nor did Confucius or Zoroaster. Muhammad didn't fulfill detailed prophecy. Alexander the Great didn't raise the dead or heal the sick. And though there is far less reliable information written about them, they are believed in.

The scripture is right when it says in 1 Peter 2:7-8, "This precious value, then, is for you who believe. But for those who disbelieve, ‘The stone which the builders rejected, this became the very corner stone,’ and, ‘A stone of stumbling and a rock of offense’; for they stumble because they are disobedient to the word, and to this doom they were also appointed." (NASB).

The Mathematical Odds of Jesus Fulfilling Prophecy

"The following probabilities are taken from Peter Stoner in Science Speaks (Moody Press, 1963) to show that coincidence is ruled out by the science of probability. Stoner says that by using the modern science of probability in reference to eight prophecies, 'we find that the chance that any man might have lived down to the present time and fulfilled all eight prophecies is 1 in 1017." That would be 1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000.

In order to help us comprehend this staggering probability, Stoner illustrates it by supposing that "we take 1017 silver dollars and lay them on the face of Texas. They will cover all of the state two feet deep. Now mark one of these silver dollars and stir the whole mass thoroughly, all over the state. Blindfold a man and tell him that he can travel as far as he wishes, but he must pick up one silver dollar and say that this is the right one. What chance would he have of getting the right one? Just the same chance that the prophets would have had of writing these eight prophecies and having them all come true in any one man."

Stoner considers 48 prophecies and says, "we find the chance that any one man fulfilled all 48 prophecies to be 1 in 10157 or 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,
000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000."

(This information was taken from the book Evidence that Demands a Verdict, by Josh McDowell.)

The estimated number of electrons in the universe is around 1079. It should be quite evident that Jesus did not fulfill the prophecies by accident. He was who He said He was: the only way (John 14:6).

— by Matthew Slick

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »

Naaaaah....I am not intolerant of say Muslims......I just think they are wrong and I will not allow them to speak to me of their false religion, but I will tolerate them sitting there and listening to me tell them the truth.  Grin

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
allaboutGod

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:43:07 PM »

if they are 'truely willing' why not have a discustion with them. I am not sugesting that you take in what they have to say as gospel but I do think that when the other person is brought in in a way that they feel that you care about what they think/about them that it leaves them more open to accept the truth from you.

I may be wrong but that is the way that I was before I got saved.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 04:00:35 PM »

That may be true with a few people. Most however are already set in their agenda of making others believe their way. This is what we are seeing today in the majority of the world, especially when it comes to those that are anti-Christian. Those claiming to be the most tolerant are usually the ones that want Christians totally silenced and do whatever they can to achieve that purpose. Now it is even worse because we have some that claim to be Christian that also want Christians to be taken out of anything public.

Personally I will speak and teach the Gospel. If they refuse to hear then they have the choice to go the other way.

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2008, 11:52:56 AM »

It may be intolerant, but Christianity IS the only TRUE religion. Without Jesus Christ there is no hope.

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the