Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:00:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Peter Pan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Peter Pan  (Read 2049 times)
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2004, 06:24:42 PM »

Ok, I saw this movie last week, and all I can say is wow. The fairy tale of so long ago is finally given the setting and beauty it deserves, and the result is fantastic. Neverland is so lush, so vibrant, that the feeling you get is that nothing so pictureesque can ever be brought to the silver screen again.

This is another kids' story, of course, but it is much darker than the Disney cartoon that most people are familiar with. There is feeling here; sadness, happiness, discouragement, regret, love...the list goes on.

Symbolism is a huge factor in this story, and without understanding some of the metaphors in the story, one will not get the full effect of what this film is trying to convey. For example, Peter is representative of someone who does not want to grow up and take on responsiblities, and ultimately doesn't. Captain Hook is shown as someone who grows up too quickly and loses all his youth. Wendy acts as a median between the two; she eventually grows up, but she never loses her youth. Wendy is the most powerful character in the movie, because she is the person that everyone should strive to become. When you understand all this, the story can have infinitely more meaning, because people will begin to see themselves as one of these characters.

Ok, so, enough with the deep stuff for now. On to the filmmaking itself.

The island of Neverland is sometimes dark, sometimes shrouded in light, but always lovely. The foliation, the sky, and of course the characters who make up the island help to bring it to life in a spectacular way. The entire movie is pure eye candy, as far as scenery goes. As I said earlier, the island is just vibrant. There is so much color, and the lighting is really good. For example, Wendy and Peter are often shot in a bluish light, while eveyone else has a more natural lighting on them (green, gold). All of this gives the film a very "fairy tale" look. That's not bad, though, because the story is, in fact, a fairy tale.

Besides the fact that it is a fairy tale, there is a dark undertone. The funny pirate from Robin Williams' Hook is gone, and in place we have a darker, more serious pirate, more reminiscent of his former role as Lucius Malfoy in the second Harry Potter movie. The violence in the movie is steeper than would be expected in a fairy tale, though it's not too graphic.

I really liked this movie. It was one of the better movies of 2003, probably in a three-way tie between Master and Cammander and The Last Samurai. These three are right below Return of the King, but be sure to see Peter Pan. Also be aware that this is much different than the Disney version. After that, my rating is:

4 out of 4 stars (common rating, isn't it?).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2004, 06:28:51 PM by Sapphire W34P0N » Logged
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 06:46:13 PM »

Ok, I saw this movie last week, and all I can say is wow. The fairy tale of so long ago is finally given the setting and beauty it deserves, and the result is fantastic. Neverland is so lush, so vibrant, that the feeling you get is that nothing so pictureesque can ever be brought to the silver screen again.

This is another kids' story, of course, but it is much darker than the Disney cartoon that most people are familiar with. There is feeling here; sadness, happiness, discouragement, regret, love...the list goes on.

Symbolism is a huge factor in this story, and without understanding some of the metaphors in the story, one will not get the full effect of what this film is trying to convey. For example, Peter is representative of someone who does not want to grow up and take on responsiblities, and ultimately doesn't. Captain Hook is shown as someone who grows up too quickly and loses all his youth. Wendy acts as a median between the two; she eventually grows up, but she never loses her youth. Wendy is the most powerful character in the movie, because she is the person that everyone should strive to become. When you understand all this, the story can have infinitely more meaning, because people will begin to see themselves as one of these characters.

Ok, so, enough with the deep stuff for now. On to the filmmaking itself.

The island of Neverland is sometimes dark, sometimes shrouded in light, but always lovely. The foliation, the sky, and of course the characters who make up the island help to bring it to life in a spectacular way. The entire movie is pure eye candy, as far as scenery goes. As I said earlier, the island is just vibrant. There is so much color, and the lighting is really good. For example, Wendy and Peter are often shot in a bluish light, while eveyone else has a more natural lighting on them (green, gold). All of this gives the film a very "fairy tale" look. That's not bad, though, because the story is, in fact, a fairy tale.

Besides the fact that it is a fairy tale, there is a dark undertone. The funny pirate from Robin Williams' Hook is gone, and in place we have a darker, more serious pirate, more reminiscent of his former role as Lucius Malfoy in the second Harry Potter movie. The violence in the movie is steeper than would be expected in a fairy tale, though it's not too graphic.

I really liked this movie. It was one of the better movies of 2003, probably in a three-way tie between Master and Cammander and The Last Samurai. These three are right below Return of the King, but be sure to see Peter Pan. Also be aware that this is much different than the Disney version. After that, my rating is:

SWP I just thought of a question to ask you. How many Christian movies do you like?

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2004, 06:46:59 PM »

Well, Saph, I can't see any reason not to vote for you once again.

You should write a movie column for your school newspaper or something.

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 06:48:54 PM »

or someting... Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2004, 07:28:22 PM »

SWP I just thought of a question to ask you. How many Christian movies do you like?

I don't know what movies you would consider "Christian." There are movies with Christian undertones, but I don't think I've really ever sat down and watched one that you would consider to be Christian. Why?

I wanted to be on our newspaper staff, but I didn't know when to sign up. So I missed it.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 12:59:19 PM »

Yeah, I think you need to rethink you system Grin

Just a thought, many Christian movies are likable? Who in this forum liked "Left Behind" or "The Omega Code"?

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 06:42:13 PM »

Yeah, I think you need to rethink you system

Nah, it was just a really good year for movies.
elisabeth

savvy?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2004, 05:26:19 PM »

thanks for the excellent review, Sapphire.
I haven't seen Peter Pan, but hopefully will soon!
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2004, 10:32:03 PM »

I don't know what movies you would consider "Christian." There are movies with Christian undertones, but I don't think I've really ever sat down and watched one that you would consider to be Christian. Why?

Lord of the Rings is a Christian-fantasy. Tolkein was devout Catholic, and his books are vibrant with the Christian faith. Even the fact that the "Rings" movies have definite good and evil is uncommon right now; most modern works have a blurry mixture that doesn't support any absolutes (except 'love's first kiss') and even more films, books etc. do away with righteousness altogether.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the