Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:26:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Question if you don't mind
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Question if you don't mind  (Read 9787 times)
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2008, 07:22:02 PM »

In the world of computers:  What are tags?  I'm asking because as a bonus of signing up with NetZero for my dial up service, which by the way is cheap and so much faster than no-charge, I got a free little website all my own!  On my one of my pages it has a place at the bottom for "tags".  What is that used for?

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 07:35:12 PM »

Search engines use certain key words for listing and searching for web pages. "Tags" is the word that defines these key words. If you want a certain type of "audience" then you list the words under "tags" that you think would be most likely to bring them to your web site.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

Search engines use certain key words for listing and searching for web pages. "Tags" is the word that defines these key words. If you want a certain type of "audience" then you list the words under "tags" that you think would be most likely to bring them to your web site.

Oh!  Cool.  Thanks PR!  You DO know that I was only a "receptionist" at Microsoft? 

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »

Oh!  Cool.  Thanks PR!  You DO know that I was only a "receptionist" at Microsoft? 

It shows.  Grin Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 08:40:11 PM »

It shows.  Grin Grin

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 02:06:41 AM »

It shows.  Grin Grin

Always a comedian in the crowd!  The problem is that here...I'm surrounded! 

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:19:00 AM »

Always a comedian in the crowd!  The problem is that here...I'm surrounded! 

That makes it a whole lot more fun. Like a barrel of monkeys.  Grin Grin Grin

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 04:52:09 PM »

That makes it a whole lot more fun. Like a barrel of monkeys.  Grin Grin Grin

You can say that again!   

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2008, 05:27:49 PM »

Okay.

That makes it a whole lot more fun. Like a barrel of monkeys.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2008, 09:38:20 PM »

Okay.

That makes it a whole lot more fun. Like a barrel of monkeys.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »

Well here's another question for those of you in the know:

I can't get my computer to play videos like from GodTube or YouTube, emails, etc.

I downloaded two different ones from the internet.  First VLC media player from Uberdownloads.com
That didn't work so I removed it and tried RealPlayer and that didn't work so I removed it.  What happens is the video will start and stop all the way through.

Any ideas?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 01:50:23 PM »

There are a number of things that can cause this. Here's just a few of the more common ones.

Download speed. If you are using dial up it is usually not able to download a video fast enough to play it without hesitating that way.

CPU speed and size. Again an older cpu may not be fast enough to play a video non-stop and if the processor is small it may be that it gets to doing other things in the background and causes a temporary interupt while it is doing other things.

Video card. Some video cards have a mini-processor of their own and take bits of the video at a time then play it. If this process is too slow it can cause this problem.

So far we are talking about the need for hardware updates in order to solve the problem. Now on to the software.

Each time you install and uninstall programs there are remnants of the program left behind in the Registry database. Sometimes this can slow program functions down if these remnants cause confusion as to what should and should not be accessed. A good registry cleaner can take care of this problem.

Another problem with installing and uninstalling programs is the programs can get what I referred to as being "fractured". The correct term here though is "fragmented". This happens when portions of the program are written on disk into one place and there isn't enough space to finish it there so some files get written to another area. It takes more time to search through the different files for the correct one when this happens. This can be solved by clicking on "Start", "All Programs", "Accessories", "System Tools" and then last "Disk Defragmenter". Then when that window comes up click on "Defragment". This will speed up processing quite a bit if it is too fragmented.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »

There are a number of things that can cause this. Here's just a few of the more common ones.

Download speed. If you are using dial up it is usually not able to download a video fast enough to play it without hesitating that way.

CPU speed and size. Again an older cpu may not be fast enough to play a video non-stop and if the processor is small it may be that it gets to doing other things in the background and causes a temporary interupt while it is doing other things.

Video card. Some video cards have a mini-processor of their own and take bits of the video at a time then play it. If this process is too slow it can cause this problem.

So far we are talking about the need for hardware updates in order to solve the problem. Now on to the software.

Each time you install and uninstall programs there are remnants of the program left behind in the Registry database. Sometimes this can slow program functions down if these remnants cause confusion as to what should and should not be accessed. A good registry cleaner can take care of this problem.

Another problem with installing and uninstalling programs is the programs can get what I referred to as being "fractured". The correct term here though is "fragmented". This happens when portions of the program are written on disk into one place and there isn't enough space to finish it there so some files get written to another area. It takes more time to search through the different files for the correct one when this happens. This can be solved by clicking on "Start", "All Programs", "Accessories", "System Tools" and then last "Disk Defragmenter". Then when that window comes up click on "Defragment". This will speed up processing quite a bit if it is too fragmented.

Okay.  I'm defraging now.  I haven't done that in awhile.
I did have no charge dial up but just this past week got a service with NetZero that cost me about $15/mo. and it runs quite a bit faster than no-charge.
I just talk with a Geek Squad rep from Best Buy and he suggested Media Player Classic download from Source Forge Project, so maybe I'll try that next.  Otherwise he said bring it in and they could fix it all up for about $30 which I could do after payday next week.

Thanks for the info PR!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 11:43:01 PM »

Sister, when you download a video from Godtube, & youtube, you need a flash player. There are several good free ones out there.

Any video you get while on dial-up, pause the video, till 90% of is is ready to play. Then press play, and you can watch the video uninterrupted.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the