Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I Timothy 4:16
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I Timothy 4:16  (Read 1963 times)
phillip

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2008, 09:00:28 PM »

I Timothy 4:16 says, "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them:  for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee."

Some Christians say that Bible doctrine is no longer important, but the above verse teaches otherwise!  Bible doctrine is very important in the sight of God so that Christians may grow spiritually mature in Jesus Christ!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 10:07:31 PM »

I Timothy 4:16 says, "Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them:  for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee."

Some Christians say that Bible doctrine is no longer important, but the above verse teaches otherwise!  Bible doctrine is very important in the sight of God so that Christians may grow spiritually mature in Jesus Christ!

Hello Phillip,

I'm not aware of any Christians saying that Bible doctrine isn't important - just the opposite. Someone saying something like this would probably not be a Believer. It's also true that some folks wouldn't know the meaning of the word "doctrine." We live in a day and age where many self-professing Christians spend so little time with the Bible that they know very little about the Bible, much less what the Bible teaches. Many would barely understand the meaning of the term "Bible".

Love In Christ,
Tom

« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 10:09:52 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

pinguino

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 03:43:46 AM »

On the contrary, BEP, phillip is right in saying that doctrine is being forsaken by the mainline Christian church.

In fact, just the other day I saw a sign on a Methodist church that read...

"DOCTRINE DIVIDES
BUT LOVE UNITES"
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »

On the contrary, BEP, phillip is right in saying that doctrine is being forsaken by the mainline Christian church.

"DOCTRINE DIVIDES
BUT LOVE UNITES"

Hello Pinguino,

I see that you're new, so WELCOME!

I sincerely hope that you enjoy Christians Unite.

If you carefully read the posts, we are both saying the same thing in different ways. Blanket statements of any kind are rarely close to right, and this subject would be no exception. Please notice that we are both talking about Christians, not the lost, Something this vague could mean something different to each person reading it. By the way, we're not having a disagreement, just an attempted clarification about what is being talked about. Vague and blanket statements usually don't  accomplish much except confusion.

Here's a specific statement about Bible Doctrine that has resulted in many millions of people being saved over the last 2,000 years:

GOOD NEWS!

1:  Romans 3:10 NASB  as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."

2:  Romans 3:23  NASB  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

3:  Romans 5:12  NASB  Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

4:  Romans 6:23  NASB  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

5:  Romans 1:18  NASB  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

6:  Romans 3:20  NASB  because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

7:  Romans 3:27  NASB  Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith.

8:  Romans 5:8-9  NASB  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

9:  Romans 2:4  NASB  Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

10:  Romans 3:22  NASB  even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

11:  Romans 3:28  NASB  For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

12:  Romans 10:9  NASB  that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

13:  Romans 4:21  NASB  and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

14:  Romans 4:24 NASB  but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead,

15:  Romans 5:1  NASB  Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

16:  Romans 10:10  NASB  for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

17:  Romans 10:13  NASB  for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2008, 12:14:10 PM »

"DOCTRINE DIVIDES
BUT LOVE UNITES"

Hello pinguino,

Welcome to Christians Unite forums. I hope that you will enjoy your time here.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
phillip

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 09:53:43 PM »

One example of Christians forsaking doctrine for the sake of unity is the old-time compromising, ecumenical movement which seeks to unite Christians and liberals who deny certain basic Bible doctrines such as the blood atonement of Jesus Christ into large body of liberals, neoevangelicals, and fundamental, Bible believers.  One such example was Key 73, an ecumenical endeavor that I experienced in Bible college!  Another is the recent rapprochement between the Catholic and Protestant churches in which they both agree not to evangelize each other denomination's members.  Yes, doctrine is important just as much as Christian unity!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:01:38 AM »

Hello Brother Phillip an All!

We have an abundance of very sad things happening in many so-called churches. However, there are still plenty of churches that teach the Full-Strength Gospel of the Grace of GOD.

The UNITY that GOD encourages and exhorts us to have is IN CHRIST. This is the ONLY REAL UNITY in LOVE that exists on this earth. The Rightful and completely RIGHTEOUS HEAD IS JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF.

Many so-called mainline Christian Churches these days are little more than social clubs, and the GOOD NEWS OF GOD takes either a back seat or no seat at all. One has to look harder, but there are still churches doing GOD'S WORK. The world isn't supposed to like us. There are great reasons why sound doctrine of the Holy Bible instructs us not to love the world or the things in it. Much of the world doesn't like GOD either. The selection of our local assembly should have nothing to do with popularity, rather of how much they HONOR, PRAISE, AND WORSHIP ALMIGHTY GOD FOR HIS GLORY! If this isn't a FIRST and PRIMARY consideration in selecting a local assembly, one might wind up in a brick and mortar building that doesn't serve GOD at all.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Timothy 4:1-4 NASB
I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the