Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:15:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  ChristiansUnite and Announcements
| |-+  ChristiansUnite and Announcements (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Are U.S. Churches Doing Enough to Fight Poverty in America
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Are U.S. Churches Doing Enough to Fight Poverty in America  (Read 959 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: April 30, 2008, 12:22:24 PM »

Are U.S. Churches Doing Enough to Fight Poverty in America

by Staff
April 30, 2008

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich., (christiansunite.com) -- Two-thirds of Americans surveyed in a new poll say their churches are doing enough to help the poor despite the latest United States Census Bureau statistics showing consistent year-to-year increases in the numbers of Americans living in poverty. This, combined with poverty indicators such as rising food stamp usage, points to increased demand for a complacent church to do more to help the poor.

Conducted by Faith in Action and Harris Interactive, the national survey polled more than 2,800 adults, and took place February 14-18, 2008. Sixty-seven percent of respondents "agreed" or "strongly agreed" with the statement, "My church already does enough to help the poor in my community." Yet current data provided by the U.S. Census Bureau reveals the national poverty level has increased from 11.7 percent in 2001 to 13.3 percent in 2005, or 38 million Americans.

Additionally, demand for food stamps between 2007- 08, a key economic indicator provided by the United States Department of Agriculture, is up significantly in 43 states, increasing the need for significant help among more than 28 million Americans.

"These results, when combined with current census and economic data, expose a discrepancy between Christians who believe they are doing enough and the reality that Christians are just scratching the surface in our communities," said Steve Haas, vice president for church relations at World Vision. "Faith in Action is designed to be a step toward alleviating the complacency that is afflicting churches across the country, and an effective call to action to follow Christ's example of compassion."

The study also reports that 60 percent of respondents "would support their church if it occasionally canceled traditional services in order to donate that time to help the poor in their community," indicating a willingness to participate in the bold premise at the center of Faith in Action.

The defining characteristic of this groundbreaking ministry is an invitation to Christians to close their church doors and mobilize on service projects within their communities. The program is led by three world- renowned Christian organizations, World Vision, Outreach and Zondervan, and culminates in Faith in Action Sunday, which takes place on April 27, 2008.

Faith in Action commissioned the national study to determine Christians' attitudes toward helping the poor in their communities. In addition, the program helps Christians invite members outside of their church to join in serving. In an expression of hope, two- thirds of respondents said they "wished their church partnered with a non-Christian organization to help the poor in my community."

More than 20,000 Christians at more than 200 churches have participated in a Faith in Action Sunday throughout the United States. The movement continues on April 27, 2008 when an additional 300 churches nationwide will close their doors and complete their Faith in Action programs with community-wide projects to help the poor and disadvantaged.

Many Christians who have participated in the Faith in Action campaign have fueled their endeavors with the Faith in Action Study Bible, published by Zondervan with commentary notes by World Vision. Additional information is available at www.putyourfaithinaction.org.

About Faith in Action Faith in Action is a resource developed by Christian humanitarian organization, World Vision, church communication resources provider, Outreach, Inc., and Christian communications company, Zondervan. Faith in Action features a campaign kit which includes a step-by-step approach to transforming a congregation and reaching the community.

http://news.christiansunite.com/Religion_News/religion07129.shtml

Additional information on ChristiansUnite.com is available on the Internet at http://www.christiansunite.com/
Copyright © 2007 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »

Sounds great...but personally I would say keep the church open on Sunday and do the community service throughout the week....Then get a bus ministry going or something to get the people you are trying to help over to the church on Sunday so they too can enjoy a service and maybe....just maybe get witnessed to instead of simply fed.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 03:29:19 PM »

Sounds great...but personally I would say keep the church open on Sunday and do the community service throughout the week....Then get a bus ministry going or something to get the people you are trying to help over to the church on Sunday so they too can enjoy a service and maybe....just maybe get witnessed to instead of simply fed.

I agree completely Brother Jerry. There must be a time for "spiritual" food for all Christians to help our Spirits stay healthy and become stronger. I personally believe this should be given more time and importance than physical food for our bodies EVERY DAY. Maybe this program is based on the premise that many won't give additional time on other days.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the