Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 01:42:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Widely used public school textbook criticized for being too conservative
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Widely used public school textbook criticized for being too conservative  (Read 3845 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: April 18, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »

Widely used public school textbook criticized for being too conservative

An advanced textbook on American government is drawing criticism from scholars for alleged errors concerning climate change and separation of church and state.

The advanced textbook in question is called American Government (Houghton Mifflin) and was authored by James Q. Wilson and John J. Dilulio, Jr. Associated Press reports that a New Jersey high school student pointed out apparent errors in the textbook to the Center for Inquiry, which then released a "scathing report."

Under criticism are statements that cause students to question whether the debate over "global warming" is really over, and whether the issue of "separation of church and state" is being correctly interpreted. Critics also accuse the textbook of having a conservative bias on a number of other issues.

The executive director of Christian Educators Association International (CEAI) disagrees with the critics. "I don't think it's the job of our public schools to indoctrinate children to tell them what they should believe about global warming," says Finn Laursen, "but let's educate them; let's let them [think] like great minds of the past did, and let's let them openly discuss the issues. And if we don't let them know that there are two sides, that discussion won't happen," he contends.

The CEAI leader fears that the advanced students are no longer being as academically challenged as they have been in the past and are also being taught one-sided arguments.

"I think that most would agree that we [as a nation] are not as competitive as we once were, and I personally believe that one of the reasons is that our advanced students are not being challenged to higher levels of thinking," the Christian educator argues. "They're being given one side of topics, told to memorize that and to believe that -- and that does not create great minds, and great thinkers, and problem solvers," he points out.

In Arizona, Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne has said he will not remove the textbook from schools. Horne is quoted by KTAR.com as saying, "the claims made for conservative bias are very mild compared to the liberal bias that I see in most textbooks."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 06:05:17 PM »

It sounds like an excellent text book to me. One that needs to replace the many garbage, liberal text books that we have in our many public schools. Most of the text books we have in our public schools right now promote islam and communism. These books also glorify individuals such as Marx and Che Guevara.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 10:20:39 PM »

This must be a joke. If it is, this is not funny. These so called "liberal" books are contain so many error and lies. Freaky fools, who living lust under a rock. The foolism making me sick.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the