Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:08:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit  (Read 1185 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: March 01, 2008, 10:50:23 AM »

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit

John the Baptist was a grizzly guy. The Bible describes his clothes as made of camel's hair, a far cry from the soft fabrics we put on today. Here was a man who could survive and thrive in the wild, eating locusts and honey for nourishment.

But even more notable than his unusual clothing was John's complete and consuming conviction that the “kingdom of heaven was near.” With no fear, he prepared the way of the Lord, calling on sinners to confess their sins, repent, and be baptized. He could have cared less about his own image or reputation. He had a message from God!

John even took on the Pharisees, calling them a “brood of vipers”- harsh words for cultural icons. But John was a man who called it like he saw it. Unafraid of personal consequences to himself. And it was this man God chose to baptize His Son.

How I wish I could have been there, standing on the shores of Galilee, witnessing the baptism of Jesus. What a glorious day that must have been!

John and Jesus waded into the waters of Galilee, and an incredible thing happened. In Matthew 3:16 and 17, the Bible notes the presence of all three persons of the Godhead: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Matthew records: “After being baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending as a dove [and] lighting on Him, and behold, a voice out of the heavens said, ”˜This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well-pleased.'”

What an awesome experience it must have been to hear the voice of God, to see the heavens burst open, and to watch the Holy Spirit descend! What a glorious imprimatur on Jesus' public ministry and a personal confirmation for John the Baptist that God was with him.

There is a great old hymn written by Reginald Heber in 1826, “Holy, Holy, Holy.” The refrain declares: “God in three Persons, blessed Trinity.” The Trinity, God in three Persons, marks a divine blessing on Jesus' baptism in Galilee. But the story does not end there! God, in His fullness, continues to empower and enable the Church: at the commissioning of Matthew 28:19, at Pentecost, and through the indwelling of believers today.

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit were present with John as He baptized Jesus. God is also present today with you and with me. Friend, God is at work in us, enabling us to carry out His message of redemption, reminding us that the kingdom of heaven is drawing ever closer, and urging us to disciple all nations in His holy name.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the