Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 04:48:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286839 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Recipe Thread For Healty Eating
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Recipe Thread For Healty Eating  (Read 857 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: February 14, 2008, 12:38:01 AM »

We were just talking about different recipes and healthy eating in the Coffee Time thread. Brother Tom thought that maybe some people here would be interested in seeing some of these recipes. Maybe you have some of your own that you might like to share with others also.

I'm going to start out with an old deep south bread recipe that i like real well. I got this recipe from an elderly neighbor woman while I was in Memphis, TN. It's a great tasting bread, high in fiber, low in sugar and low in gluten.

Measure   Ingredient
1 cup    Water
¾ cup    Beans,Black,Dry,
     Cooked,Drained. Packed
1½ tablespoon    Applesauce
1½ tablespoon    Honey
¾ teaspoon    Salt
1½ cup    Whole-Wheat Flour
1½ cup    Bread Flour
1½ teaspoon    Yeast

This bread works just as well by using Lentils in place of the black beans. I can't tell that there are beans in it. A great bread to go with some homemade soup.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 12:09:51 AM »

THANKS BROTHER!

Please consider this recipe to be snagged. I talked with my wife about homemade bread, and she thinks it would be a great idea.

My wife and I have both had the flu, so I don't have much of a contribution right now for this thread. I do know that many average people couldn't do WORSE in how bad their diets are.

I do know this - FAST FOOD is only good if it comes that way in nature. In other words - fruits and vegetables. Many things are best when they are simply cleaned and eaten raw. I also know that we overcook many vegetables and cook the nutrients out of them. Steaming is a good alternate method of cooking vegetables. If the vegetables are completely soft, the steaming was too long. These are general rules of thumb that I know to be correct, and they wouldn't apply all of the time.

It's also been a proven fact that variety and controlling quantity of many foods is very important. In general, our bodies were designed to eat fruits and vegetables, but small quantities of meat can be healthy if it's cooked correctly. Small quantities of fish, turkey, and chicken should be the primary meats, and baking should be the method. Generally, we can have red meat in small quantities every now and then, but this should not be a regular practice. All of us probably need to avoid fried and greasy foods, especially young people. We are currently in the midst of a health and obesity epidemic among our children because of what we feed them. Some of them will suffer various illnesses most of their lives because of what we fed them.

Snacks are a big problem for all of us, especially our children. However, snacks can be and should be healthy. Some kids turn their noses up at things because we have taught them to. Children do emulate us, and they remember what we say about various foods. Snacks could be slices of bananas, apples, oranges, celery, carrots, etc. I think that most people would be surprised to find out how tasty these kinds of snacks are. Our children can be encouraged to do many things that are healthy for them, and these good habits will be good for everyone in the house. 

Generally, we need to throw soda pop out of the house and drink more water and fruit juices. Recent indications are that soda pop of any kind is like a mild poison, and there is no such thing as soda pop helping someone trying to lose weight - diet pop or not. In fact, recent indications are that diet pop is worse for weight gain than regular pop. Regardless, it's a chemical mixture, and you really don't want to know what you're drinking.

My wife and I are on a diet, and we've been given considerable literature about healthy foods. However, there are many tricks to make those healthy foods taste better, and that's what we're trying to learn right now. I find it ironic that the diet we're on should be the normal diet of an average family, NOT simply the diet of folks needing to lose weight or having health problems. A good and healthy diet can prevent weight gain and many health problems, so we should all be on a HEALTHY FOOD DIET!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the