Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:35:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Challenges I have faced...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Challenges I have faced...  (Read 4319 times)
StrikeToWin

View Profile
« on: January 31, 2008, 12:02:26 AM »

On a daily basis, I deal with peole that are non-believers and have to try and defend my position and beliefs without being able to quote scripture or even being able to mention God.  As soon as I do the person attacks my beliefs, however I would still like to be able to be a witness to this person regardless of their beliefs, lifestyle or opposing position.  Some of the topics that have come to me recently are same-sex marriage, abortion, stem cell research and alcoholism.  As a Christian do you have any suggestions on how to approach these subjects with a non-believer without using my Bible? 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 12:25:55 AM »

It has been my experience that if a person is actively involved in a sin that they will not listen to others whether they are approached with scripture or any other manner unless they are ready to do so anyway. The usual response is "I have heard it all and I don't believe it and I'm going to live as I want to." If drugs, alcohol, gambling, or any other sinful lifestyle has a grip on them they will not listen until they are ready to. They must first come to the realization that what they are doing is a destructive lifestyle and then they must want a way out. They must be first willing to listen to that voice speaking to them, the knocking at the door.

Personally I am not ashamed of the Gospel and I go straight into it. Not in an overbearing manner but in one that shows love and concern for them. If they are not willing to listen at least I have planted the seed and if they ever become ready to listen they know that I am there ready to help, ready to lead them to our Lord and Saviour. In the meantime I pray for that person that God will open their eyes to what they are doing to themselves. Prayer is an important part of witnessing. We should also ask for God's guidance in how we present His word to them before we even start. Then trust in Him to guide us.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:57:32 AM »

StrikeToWin,

There are many different things and ways in which we can approach and talk about the Gospel.  As PR said NEVER be ashamed of your faith.

Some things that I would like to suggest to you are these

1) Study your Bible daily. 
2) Take a Bible with you to work and read it a little bit during your lunch break or other breaks.  One of the biggest shows of your faith is to show that you are studying the Word of God regularly. 
3) Talk to your Pastor or Deacons on soul winning techniques.  When your church has visitation go with them and ask to be teamed up with more experienced people and watch how they talk with people.

And when talking to these people do not hesitate to walk away from the conversation if it gets to the point of personal attacks.  If they are not willing to talk about it without getting personal then they are not willing to listen to the gospel anyways.  And taking the high ground on it and walking away is nothing to be ashamed of.

Hope that helps a little.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
StrikeToWin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 10:42:25 AM »

I understand what you are both saying and I do most of those things.  But what I run into is a person that says, "OK, convince me that what I'm doing is wrong without making it religious".  That is where it becomes difficult.  I've been called a religious nut, or an ultra conservative Christian, close minded and I'm actually Ok with all of those things, but I just feel like if I can begin to break down those barriers and stereotypes that people lump me into then it will open up more opportunities to witness. 

I read and study my Bible daily and I have prayed about this and had numerous conversations with my pastor and some of the deacons in our church.  Sharing Christ with others is not a problem for me and though I may not be the most learned person in the world, I think that there are many opportunities to witness in these groups if only we can firtst break down some walls and defenses that people have thrown up to debunk what they call "religious nuts".
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »

"OK, convince me that what I'm doing is wrong without making it religious"

This is the first sign that these people are not going to listen to what we have to say and even using human logic does not move to convince them of anything. It is an indication that they think themselves smarter than a "religious nut" whom they think follows beliefs without any sort of reason. Without the use of God's word then anything becomes morally acceptable and they know this, hence the reasoning for setting this ground rule in the discussion. No matter how learned a person may be on any given subject they realize that the worst they could do is to reach a draw with that person, a stalemate. For then it simply becomes their opinion vs yours. By falling into this in any discussion you are actually entering their world, their territory. All rules of the discussion becomes theirs and all true reasoning is lost to them, which actually was the case to begin with.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 02:29:56 PM »

It is like the 10 lepers who Jesus healed, only one thanked Him and if you have ever seen a leper, hands feet faces are eaten away, this would have been healed the moment Jesus spoke. Jesus did nothing without the Father that the Father be glorified.
So  we are to be like Jesus, we will tell the very word and nothing of ourselves but the light of Jesus that shines and draws the lost and hurting and at that time we are given the words to speak.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 03:01:22 PM »

I always like to fire back "OK, convince me that what I'm doing is wrong without not making it religious, and let us remember that morals come from religion."

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

Hello StrikeToWin,

Your problem appears to be trying to do things without the Bible. GOD said it first and BEST! After all, HE is the CREATOR. The biggest problem people face today is being LOST WITHOUT JESUS. They pay with dreaded diseases, slow and painful deaths, and an Eternity of PUNISHMENT. There are many who won't listen to GOD'S Plan of Salvation because they would rather continue in their sin and self-destructive course. Regardless, the attempt is never wasted. Use the full strength Gospel of the Grace of GOD. If they don't want to listen, hand them a Bible tract or tell them they can contact you later if they change their mind. Regardless, tip-toeing through the tulips with politically correct stuff is probably one of the reasons why they are still in their condition. Tell the blunt truth from the Bible with some compassion and pray that GOD will soften the person's heart. Millions are dying around the world every year from dreaded diseases directly tied to their sin, and that's just the beginning of their torment. Attempting to tell them the BLUNT TRUTH would be very kind.

I want to repeat something that's already been said:  I'm not ashamed of the Gospel of the Grace of GOD. It is still the most powerful message in the world, and GOD has promised to use it for HIS Purposes and stated that it will not return void.

Don't worry about what they don't want to hear. Offer the TRUTH that will save them and pray that GOD will lead and guide you. Let GOD worry about the rest.

GOOD NEWS!

1:  Romans 3:10 NASB  as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE; THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD; ALL HAVE TURNED ASIDE, TOGETHER THEY HAVE BECOME USELESS; THERE IS NONE WHO DOES GOOD, THERE IS NOT EVEN ONE."

2:  Romans 3:23  NASB  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

3:  Romans 5:12  NASB  Therefore, just as through one man sin entered into the world, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men, because all sinned--

4:  Romans 6:23  NASB  For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

5:  Romans 1:18  NASB  For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,

6:  Romans 3:20  NASB  because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

7:  Romans 3:27  NASB  Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith.

8:  Romans 5:8-9  NASB  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

9:  Romans 2:4  NASB  Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

10:  Romans 3:22  NASB  even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction;

11:  Romans 3:28  NASB  For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

12:  Romans 10:9  NASB  that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;

13:  Romans 4:21  NASB  and being fully assured that what God had promised, He was able also to perform.

14:  Romans 4:24 NASB  but for our sake also, to whom it will be credited, as those who believe in Him who raised Jesus our Lord from the dead,

15:  Romans 5:1  NASB  Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ,

16:  Romans 10:10  NASB  for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

17:  Romans 10:13  NASB  for "WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED."

Thanks be unto GOD for HIS unspeakable GIFT!, JESUS CHRIST, our Lord and Saviour forever!

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »

It has been my experience that if a person is actively involved in a sin that they will not listen to others whether they are approached with scripture or any other manner unless they are ready to do so anyway. The usual response is "I have heard it all and I don't believe it and I'm going to live as I want to." If drugs, alcohol, gambling, or any other sinful lifestyle has a grip on them they will not listen until they are ready to. They must first come to the realization that what they are doing is a destructive lifestyle and then they must want a way out. They must be first willing to listen to that voice speaking to them, the knocking at the door.

Personally I am not ashamed of the Gospel and I go straight into it. Not in an overbearing manner but in one that shows love and concern for them. If they are not willing to listen at least I have planted the seed and if they ever become ready to listen they know that I am there ready to help, ready to lead them to our Lord and Saviour. In the meantime I pray for that person that God will open their eyes to what they are doing to themselves. Prayer is an important part of witnessing. We should also ask for God's guidance in how we present His word to them before we even start. Then trust in Him to guide us.

Amen

Let us fight the good fight!
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »

Not by might..not by power but by God's Spirit can any man be drwn to Christ Jesus for ther glory belongs to th Lord..Until a man is saved..they act lost for they are lost..but praise be to God that when a man comes to the Lord, ther is new life and the old nature dies with the washing of God's Word..
Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 09:52:59 AM »

God words is like a sword, so stab them! Just like blackeyedpeas say!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the