Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:56:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What new revelation did Jesus bring to the world?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What new revelation did Jesus bring to the world?  (Read 3877 times)
surrendersacrifice

View Profile
« on: January 03, 2008, 11:11:50 PM »

He revealed to us that God’s love for us is so great that although we betrayed Him and were unfaithful to Him, He humbled Himself to take a human form and suffered the most painful death in order to free us from the slavery of sin.  Furthermore, He commanded us to love one another the same as He has loved us (John 15:12). He also tells us that if we love Him we will keep His commandments (John 14:21). Should not we, therefore, sacrifice our life for even those who hurt us and are unfaithful to us?

surrendersacrifice:
God stayed faithful to His promise although we were unfaithful to Him, betrayed Him and killed Him. He expressed it by accepting death in order to compensate for our sins. Furthermore, He commands us to love one another in a similar manner (Jn 13:34).
Eva

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 05:30:41 PM »

He revealed to us that God’s love for us is so great that although we betrayed Him and were unfaithful to Him, He humbled Himself to take a human form and suffered the most painful death in order to free us from the slavery of sin.  Furthermore, He commanded us to love one another the same as He has loved us (John 15:12). He also tells us that if we love Him we will keep His commandments (John 14:21). Should not we, therefore, sacrifice our life for even those who hurt us and are unfaithful to us?

Very good, Thanks!!!

Love in Christ, Eva

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 03:08:53 AM »

I realize this is all part of your works-based thoughts about Salvation that are completely wrong. Taken out of context, this makes for a twisted statement that doesn't resemble the intent of the writer or of GOD.

NO, we should not sacrifice our life for those who hurt us, NOR is there any hint in the Holy Bible that we should do so. I would sacrifice my life for JESUS CHRIST or as a matter of defense, but this isn't required by the Bible either.

BLUNTLY - This is nothing but false teaching that sounds good on the surface. If one looks at it and your web site carefully, it's FALSE TEACHING!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:32:27 AM »

Should not we, therefore, sacrifice our life for even those who hurt us and are unfaithful to us?

This statement does sound very similar to the false teachings of islam.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:49:52 PM »

This is a good study. This past week I've seen real examples of Christ's love thru other extraordinary people, including a holocaust survivor that forgave her captors after she turned to Christ; and a woman from the states, who's committed to telling the Palestinians about Christ. Her house and cars were both bombed. But she and others that are working with her continue to show Christ's love and many Palestinians are turning to Christ. Amazing!

Paul says in I Corinthians 13, "Without love I am nothing." Whatever we are doing, if we don't do it with love, we do it in vain. Selfless love is expressed in actions that don't benefit us in any way, actions solely for another's benefit.

Paul is saying that if we're claiming to be believers but aren't bearing the fruit of love then our witness to the world is nothing more than a clanging cymbal. Many religious leaders during Jesus' time had turned God's Word from a thing of genuine love for God and for their fellow man into a legal document for an externatl form of righteousness. Jesus, and later Paul, knew these pitfalls would occur when handling God's Word. Paul wrote that God's Word could be abused as a way of finding favor with God. It would be outward piety, without heartfelt love, but as a way to earn God's favor. The fruit of that kind of observance would be legalism, not love. External piety, not transformed hearts. Empty external observances aren't what God wants from us.

That is why Jesus teaches us that the greatest commands are to love - love of God, love of our fellow man. When we submit our lives to God's Word out of love for God and love for others, genuine change takes place.  I believe when we allow the Spirit of God to live within us, He will work through us and our actions and produce in us a genuine love for others.

Jesus said, "In everything therefore, treat people that same way you want them to treat you, for this is the Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 7:12)

"...You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Matthew 19:19)

"And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength."
"The second is this, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these." (Mark 12:30-31)

"And He said to him, "What is written in the Law? How does it read to you?" And he answered, "You shall love the LoRD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind; and you neighbor as yourself." And He said to him, "You have answered correctly; Do this and you will live." (Luke 10:26-28)

From James:

"If, however, you are fulfilling the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you are doing well." (James 2:Cool

From Paul:

"For you were called to freedom, brethren; only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another. For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." (Galatians 5:13-14)

From John:

"This is how we know that we love the children of God: by loving God and carrying out His commands. This is love for God: to obey His commands. And His commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith." (I John 5:2-4)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 05:20:15 PM »

Hi Barbara,

While you are correct and those that forgave their oppressors are definitely correct in doing so this does not mean that we are to lie down like sheep and allow those that wish to kill us and our loved ones free reign to do so. We can love our enemies without giving into or allowing their evil ways.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »

Hello Sister Barbara and All,

There is much more to this story than what first meets the eye, and there is much more that isn't on the forum or has been removed from the forum. This is one of those things that may look reasonable on the surface if you only get selected bits and pieces. This particular thread is less reasonable than some if you look at the details. There isn't any requirement, real or assumed, for Christians to give up their lives in love of the devil, evil, or their enemies. The rest of the story that isn't here is worse, so you are really seeing bits and pieces of something VERY FALSE. Here's a saying that's probably been heard by many Christians: "Hate the sin - Love the Sinner". What if we changed this to: "Love the sin - Love the Sinner" and added a bunch more that doesn't resemble the Bible at all?

So, some may be somewhat confused about the stance the moderators have taken, mainly because you see only selected bits and pieces. The links to the rest of it have been removed. The teaching of Love from the Holy Bible is real, true, and extremely important. We firmly believe this teaching. However, it is such an important teaching that it's very sad to twist it and misuse it grossly.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour Forever!

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 06:46:34 PM »

OK - you're right, I am confused  Huh

I know we're to 'love our enemies' but would never, ever say that we should give in to their evil ways. I do, however, admire missionaries who risk their lives to bring the Gospel to those that are ignorant or uninformed and would be lost without the witness of these people. Am I right to think we're in agreement?

Never, would I say to give in to the way of the devil - I would never assimilate - even at the cost of my life - I would not deny Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior. But I know we move out of our 'comfort zone' every time we tell a lost soul about our Lord. Many go way out of their comfort zone and throughout history have lost their lives for the sake of the lost. Apparently, there's something here I don't understand.

From what you say, blackeyedpeas, I didn't see most of what's going on here.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 07:00:15 PM »

Am I right to think we're in agreement?

I am sure that we are, sister. What the missionaries do is in fact very admirable. Many of them are indeed Soldiers of the Lord.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 07:30:24 PM »

Hello Sister Barbara,

We are in complete agreement. Several generations in my family have been missionaries, and they are more than willing to face the danger and risk their lives to get the work done. The overall conditions of danger for missionaries around the world have gotten much worse over the last few years. This does not mean that the work has slowed or stopped. Many are losing their lives in doing the LORD'S WORK, but they are giving their lives to the LORD, not the devil. "Love" does not mean "calling evil good", nor does it mean passively laying down and giving up to evil.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Barbara

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 07:56:48 PM »

I get it. I see what you're saying.

Love is so important, Our Lord is the embodiment of love. But He will judge and do battle in the end. There are so many Biblical precedents for destroying evil. God Himself (Who is Jesus Christ) has on many occasions told the Israelites to go into battle and not even take cattle or any thing that belonged to the enemy - to destroy them COMPLETELY.

Many, including my nephew who just got back from Iraq in November and was with the first wave that entered Afganistan, have gone to war to battle the enemy. The Lord would have us battle, at the cost of our lives, to preserve what is good. The command of God is do not murder (in the original Hebrew), it is not 'do not kill'.

We would not, and cannot according to God, enable evil in His Holy land. If we gave the enemy what they wanted, Israel would be non-existent and the Israeli people would be wiped off the face of the earth. But God will not allow this. He said, "I will bless those that bless you, and curse those that curse you."

War unfortunately is a necessary evil. Killing is the result of sin, and it shows the ugliness as well as the result of sin. The pictures that came out of the concentration camps during WWII showed us what evil is and it is rearing it's ugly head again. My father was in that war and lost a leg. Many lost their lives. But they did it out of love in order to stop the carnage. They fought for our God given freedom to worship our Creator. And that war accomplished God's will and the State of Israel was born in a day according to prophecy.

We do have to love our enemies. But we cannot allow the enemy to do unspeakable evil. As the saying goes, What it takes for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 08:17:40 PM »

I get it. I see what you're saying.

Love is so important, Our Lord is the embodiment of love. But He will judge and do battle in the end. There are so many Biblical precedents for destroying evil. God Himself (Who is Jesus Christ) has on many occasions told the Israelites to go into battle and not even take cattle or any thing that belonged to the enemy - to destroy them COMPLETELY.

Many, including my nephew who just got back from Iraq in November and was with the first wave that entered Afganistan, have gone to war to battle the enemy. The Lord would have us battle, at the cost of our lives, to preserve what is good. The command of God is do not murder (in the original Hebrew), it is not 'do not kill'.

We would not, and cannot according to God, enable evil in His Holy land. If we gave the enemy what they wanted, Israel would be non-existent and the Israeli people would be wiped off the face of the earth. But God will not allow this. He said, "I will bless those that bless you, and curse those that curse you."

War unfortunately is a necessary evil. Killing is the result of sin, and it shows the ugliness as well as the result of sin. The pictures that came out of the concentration camps during WWII showed us what evil is and it is rearing it's ugly head again. My father was in that war and lost a leg. Many lost their lives. But they did it out of love in order to stop the carnage. They fought for our God given freedom to worship our Creator. And that war accomplished God's will and the State of Israel was born in a day according to prophecy.

We do have to love our enemies. But we cannot allow the enemy to do unspeakable evil. As the saying goes, What it takes for evil to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Sister Barbara, I had to quote your entire post and say AMEN! You've already said it best, so I have nothing to add except I GIVE THANKS!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the