Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:24:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Just For Women (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Chicken Soup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Chicken Soup  (Read 147077 times)
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2008, 03:56:53 PM »

What Love Means to a 4-8 Year Old

'When my grandmother got arthritis, she couldn't bend over and paint her toenails anymore.
So my grandfather does it for her all the time, even when his hands got arthritis too. That's love.'

Rebecca- age 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different.
You just know that your name is safe in their mouth.'

Billy - age 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.'

Karl - age 5

'Love is when you go out to eat and give somebody most of your French fries without making them give you any of theirs.'

Chrissy - age 6

'Love is what makes you smile when you're tired.'

Terri - age 4

'Love is when my mommy makes coffee for my daddy and she takes a sip before giving it to him, to make sure the taste is OK.'

Danny - age 7

'Love is when you kiss all the time. Then when you get tired of kissing, you still want to be together and you talk more.
My Mommy and Daddy are like that. They look gross when they kiss'

Emily - age 8

'Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen.'

Bobby - age 7 (Wow!)

'If you want to learn to love better, you should start with a friend who you hate,'

Nikka - age 6
(we need a few million more Nikka's on this planet)

'Love is when you tell a guy you like his shirt, then he wears it everyday.'

Noelle - age 7

'Love is like a little old woman and a little old man who are still friends even after they know each other so well.'

Tommy - age 6

'During my piano recital, I was on a stage and I was scared. I looked at all the people watching me and saw my daddy waving and smiling.

He was the only one doing that. I wasn't scared anymore.'

Cindy - age 8

'My mommy loves me more than anybody
You don't see anyone else kissing me to sleep at night.'

Clare - age 6

'Love is when Mommy gives Daddy the best piece of chicken.'

Elaine-age 5

'Love is when Mommy sees Daddy smelly and sweaty and still says he is handsomer than Robert Redford.'

Chris - age 7

'Love is when your puppy licks your face even after you left him alone all day.'

Mary Ann - age 4

'I know my older sister loves me because she gives me all her old clothes and has to go out and buy new ones.'

Lauren - age 4

'When you love somebody, your eyelashes go up and down and little stars come out of you.' (what an image)

Karen - age 7

'Love is when Mommy sees Daddy on the toilet and she doesn't think it's gross.'

Mark - age 6

'You really shouldn't say 'I love you' unless you mean it. But if you mean it, you should say it a lot. People forget.'

Jessica - age 8

And the final one

The winner was a four year old child whose next door neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.

Upon seeing the man cry, the little boy went into the old gentleman's yard, climbed onto his lap, and just sat there.

When his Mother asked what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said,

'Nothing, I just helped him cry'

Let us fight the good fight!
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2008, 03:40:51 PM »

A Parable of God's Perspective

Bert looked into time from heaven and saw the atrocities carried out in the human realm.  Absolutely aghast, he pointed to one unspeakable scene and asked God about it.  "How can you allow it?  Look what evil is setting in motion down there!"
     "There's no one better than the devil for creating a tragedy like that!" God said.
     "But God, that man is one of your people...oh, that poor man!"
     "I gave freedom to choose between good and evil," God said, his face sad.  "No matter what they choose, they all live there together.  Sometimes, those who choose my way are impacted by those who don't."  He slowly shook his head.  "It's always painful when that happens."
     "But those people right there have no choice," Bert protested.  "Evil is being crammed down their throats!  That isn't choice!"
     Now, Bert," God said patiently, "have I ever let pain go unavenged?"
     "No...no, but..." Bert cringed from the sight, unable to bear any more.
     "Watch!"  God put his arm around Bert's hunched shoulders and turned him again.  "Look right over there, by the wall."
     "That one?  He looks nearly dead.  Is he praying?"
     "Ah, Bert, you should hear his prayers!"  Intense love flashed in God's eyes like lightening.  "Simple prayers from an aching heart.  This is triumph over evil.  Trusting me - that is the choice."  God smiled through sparkling tears of love.  "Isn't he magnificent?"
     Together they stood in silence, and Bert began to see as God did.
     "Now watch this, Bert." God spoke softly, never letting his eyes leave the scene.  He called for Michael and the archangel appeared.
     "Go down and get him, Michael."  The tears of divine joy spilled over.  "I'll arrange the party."

by Robin Jones

Never be afraid to trust
an unknown future
to a known God

Corrie ten Boom
[/i]

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2008, 10:55:50 PM »

I'm not sure if I've done this one before but it's worth repeating, especially in our days and times.

A Meeting of the Minds

I heard and interesting story on a radio broadcast.  While Benjamin Franklin was in Europe, he met with several of his peers -- "a meeting of the minds," so to speak.  They came together to review various pieces of literature.
     Mr. Franklin chose to read a passage that evoked a curious response from he group.
     "This story must be published!"  the group chorused.  "What's the title?"
     "This is really only part of a story," Mr. Franklin replied, "from a book that you have often ridiculed."
     The group protested, insisting they would not have rejected a story of such impact.
     "In fact," Mr. Franklin continued, "the story that has so moved you all is from the book of Ruth-----from the Bible.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2008, 10:10:18 PM »

A Vision of Forgiveness

Have you ever felt the need for forgiveness...or perhaps the need to forgive?  I meet so many people who are paralyzed in their present circumstances because they're chained to something in their past.  They are either unable to forgive or to accept the fact that they are truly forgiven.
     I once heard [a legend] of a priest in a small midwestern parish who as a young man had committed what he felt was a terrible sin.  Although he had asked God's forgiveness, all his life he carried around the burden of this sin.  He just could not be sure God had really forgiven him.
     One day he was told of an elderly woman in his congregation who sometimes had visions.  During these visions, he had heard, she would often have conversatons with the Lord.  After a while the priest finally got up enough courage to visit this woman.
     She invited him in and offered him a cup of tea.  Toward the end of his visit, he set his cup down on the table and looked into the old woman's eyes.
     "Is it true that sometimes you have visions?" he asked her.
     "Yes," she replied.
     "Is it also true that during these visions, you often speak with the Lord?"
     "Yes," she said again.
     "Well...the next time you have a vision and speak with the Lord, would you ask Him a question for me?"
     The woman looked at the priest a little curiously.  She had never been asked this before.  "Yes, I would be happy to," she answered.  "What do you want me to ask Him?"
     "Well," the priest began, "would you please ask Him what sin it was that your priest committed as a young man?"
     The woman, quite curious now, readily agreed.
     A few weeks passed, and the priest again went to visit this woman.  After another cup of tea he cautiously, timidly asked, "Have you had any visions lately?"
     "Why yes, I have," replied the woman.
     "Did you speak with the Lord?"
     "Yes."
     "Did you ask Him what sin I committed as a young man?"
     "Yes," the woman replied, "I did."
     The priest, nervous and afraid, hesitated a moment and then asked, "Well, what did the Lord say?"
     The woman looked up into the face of her priest and replied gently, "The Lord told me He could not remember."

God not only forgives our sins, He also chooses to forget them.  The Bible tells us He takes them and buries them in the deepest sea.  And as Corrie ten Boom used to say, "He puts up a sign that says, 'No fishing allowed.'"

by Gigi Tchividjian

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2008, 10:33:10 PM »

Amen Grammyluv,

I really enjoy these devotions. They illustrate some of the most beautiful truths in the Holy Bible.

Love In Christ,
Tom

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2008, 03:55:42 PM »

Amen Grammyluv,

I really enjoy these devotions. They illustrate some of the most beautiful truths in the Holy Bible.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thank you Brother Tom.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2008, 04:16:32 PM »

Making Adjustments

An old sea captain named Eleazar Hall lived in Bedford, Massachusetts, during the time great sailing ships.  He was renowned, legendary and revered as the most successful of all sea captains of the day.  He worked harder, stayed out longer, and lost fewer men while catching more fish than anyone else.
     Captain Hall was often asked about his uncanny ability to stay out so long without navigational equipment.  He'd once been gone for two years without coming home for a point of reference.
     Eleazar simply replied, "Oh, I just go up on the deck and listen to the wind and rigging.  I get the drift of the sea, look up at the stars, and then set my course."
     Well, times changed in Bedford.  The big insurance companies moved in and said they could no longer insure the ships if the captains didn't have a certified and properly trained navigator on board.  They were terrified to tell Eleazar.  But to their amazement he said, "If I must, I will go and take the navigational courses."
     Eleazar graduated high in his class, and having greatly missed the sea, he immediately took off for a long voyage.  On the day of his return, the whole town turned out to ask him the question:
     "Eleazar, how was it having to navigate with all those charts and equations?"
     Eleazar sat back and let out a long, low whistle.  "Oh," he replied, "it was simple.  Whenever I wanted to know my location, I'd go to my cabin, get out my charts and tables, work the equations and set my course with scientific precision.  Then I'd go up on the deck and listen to the wind and rigging, get the drift of the sea, look at the stars, and go back and correct the errors that I had made in computation.
     When I heard that, I prayed, Lord, I want to know You that way.  I want to go up on deck, hear Your quiet voice in my heart, consider Your eternal Word, and then go back down below and make adjustments to all those fine, logical, scientific plans I've drawn up in my head.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 17, 2008, 10:21:07 PM »

Love never asks how much must I do,
but how much can I do.

Frederick A. Agar

There are many ways to measure success;
not the least of which is the way your child describes you
when talking to a friend.

Author Unknown

Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him
make her sorry to see him leave.

Martin Luther

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:12 PM »

Legacy of an Adopted Child

Once there were two women who never knew each other.
One you do not remember, the other you call Mother.
The first one gave you life, and the second taught you to live it.
The first gave you a need for love, and the second was there to give it.
One gave you a nationality, the other gave you a name.
One gave you the seed of talent, the other gave you aim.
One gave you emotions, the other calmed your fears.
One saw your first sweet smile, the other dried your tears.
One sought for you a home that she could not provide,
The other prayed for a child and her hope wasnot denied.
and now you ask me through your tears
The age-old question through the years,
Heredity or environment-
Which are you the product of?
Neither, my darling...neither;
Just two different kinds of love.

author unknown

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 22, 2008, 12:07:57 AM »

Being a Friend

We all know or knew someone like this!!

One day, when I was a freshman in high school,

I saw a kid from my class was walking home from school.

His name was Kyle.

It looked like he was
carrying all of his books.

I thought to myself, 'Why would anyone bring home all his books on a Friday?

He must really be a nerd.'

I had quite a weekend planned (parties and a football game with my friends tomorrow afternoon), so I shrugged my shoulders and went on.

As I was walking, I saw a bunch of kids running toward him.

They ran at him, knocking all his books out of his arms and tripping him so he landed in the dirt.

His gla sses went flying, and I saw them land in the grass about ten feet from him.He looked up and I saw this terrible sadness in his eyes

My heart went out to him. So, I jogged over to him as he crawled around looking for his glasses, and I saw a tear in his eye.

As I handed him his glasses, I said, 'Those guys are jerks.
'

They really should get lives.

' He looked at me and said, 'Hey thanks!'

There was a big smile on his face.

It was one of those smiles that showed real gratitude.

I helped him pick up his b ooks , and asked him where he lived.

As it turned out, he lived near me, so I asked him why I had never seen him before.

He said he had gone to private school before now.

I would have never hung out with a private school kid before.

We talked all the way home, and I carried some of his books.

He turned out to be a pretty cool kid.

I asked him if he wanted to play a little football
with my friends

He said yes.

We hung out all weekend and the more I got to know Kyle, the more I liked him, and my friends thought the same of him.

Monday morning came, and there was Kyle with the huge stack of books again.

I stopped h im and said, 'Boy, you are gonna really build some serious muscles with this pile of books everyday!

' He just laughed and handed me half the books.

Over the next four years, Kyle and I became best friends..

When we were seniors we began to think about college.

Kyle decided on Georgetown and I was going to Duke.

I knew that we would always be friends, that the miles would never
be a problem.

He was going to be a doctor and I was going for business on a football scholarship.

Kyle was valedictorian of our class

I teased him all the time about being a nerd.

He had to prepare a speech for graduation.

I was so glad it wasn't me having to get up there and speak

Graduation day, I saw Kyle.

He looked great.

He was one of those guys that really found himself during high school.

He filled out and actually l o oked good in glasses.

He had more dates than I had and all the girls loved him.

Boy, sometimes I was jealous!
Today was one of those days.

I could see that he was nervous about his speech.

So, I smacked him on the back and said, 'Hey, big guy, you'll be great!'

He looked at me with one of those looks (the really grateful one) and smiled.

' Thanks,' he said.

As he started his speech, he cleared his throat, and began

'Graduation is a time to thank those who helped you make it through those tough years.

Your parents, your teachers, your siblings, maybe a coach...but mostly your friends...

I am here to tell all of you that being a friend to someone is the best gift you can give them.

I am going to tell you a story.'

I just looked at my friend with disbelief as he told the
story of the first day we met.

He had planned to kill himself over the weekend.

He talked of how he had cleaned out his locker so his Mom wouldn't have to do it later and was carrying his stuff home.

He looked hard at me and gave me a little smile.

'Thankfully, I was saved.

My friend saved me from doing the unspeakable.'

I heard the gasp go through the crowd as this handsome, popular boy told us all about his weakest moment.

I saw his Mom and dad looking at me and smiling that same grateful smile.

Not until that moment did I realize it's depth.

Never underestimate the power of your actions.

With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

For better or for worse.

God puts us all in each others lives to impact one another in some way.

Look for God in others.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2008, 06:33:52 PM »

Spring Filly

Spirited spring filly
flicking your head
sniffing the warm
newness of the breeze
What a beauty
you are
running free
over the fresh
green earth
Don't you know
to be of use
to your master
you must be broken?

Nancy Spiegelberg

LAUGHTER

He who laughs....lasts.

Tim Hansel

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 24, 2008, 10:36:41 PM »

Let Go

A little child playing one day with a very valuable vase put his hand into it and could not withdraw it.  His father, too, tried his best, but all in vain.  They were thinking of breaking the vase when the father said, "Now, my son, make one more try.  Open your hand and hold your fingers out straight as you see me doing, and then pull."
     To their astonishment the little fellow said, "Oh no, father.  I couldn't put my fingers out like that, because if I did I would drop my penny."
     Smile, if you will....but thousands of us are like that little boy, so busy holding on to the world's worthless penny that we cannot accept liberation.  I beg you to drop that trifle in your heart.  Surrender!  Let go, and let god have His way in your life.

Dr. Billy Graham

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 27, 2008, 11:54:32 AM »

Psalm 32:9
Be ye not as the horse, or as the mule, which have no understanding: whose mouth must be held in with bit and bridle, lest they come near unto thee.

Miriam did exactly as she pleased, whether it was wise or not. Her stubborn streak was a mile wide, and no one could dissuade her, once her mind was made up. On many occasions she had been hurt simply because she refused to use good sense. Each lesson she encountered she chose to ignore, so very little growing ever took place. In time Miriam grew bitter and angry because her unhappiness grew.
Let's face it: We need guidance. Our willfulness gets us into trouble when we refuse to unite it with common sense. Our Lord is the author of good sense and levelheadedness. It only makes sense that we should turn our lives over to Him. He is faithful to guide and direct us. He teaches and nurtures us, enabling us to be the best that we can be.

Prayer:

Break my willful pride, O Lord, and let me recognize my limitations. Nee ding guidance is not weakness. Help me to see the strength which can only come from depending on You. Amen.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2008, 08:00:42 PM »

WHY DID JESUS FOLD THE NAPKIN?

An unusual approach to a biblical story...

Why did Jesus fold the linen burial cloth after His resurrection? I never noticed this...

The Gospel of John (20:7) tells us that the napkin, which was placed over the face of Jesus, was not just thrown aside like the grave clothes. The Bible takes an entire verse to tell us that the napkin was neatly folded, and was placed at the head of that stony coffin.

Early Sunday morning, while it was still dark, Mary Magdalene came to the tomb and found that the stone had been rolled away from the entrance. She ran and found Simon Peter and the other disciple, the one whom Jesus loved .
She said, 'They have taken the Lord's body out of the tomb, and I don't know where they have put him!' Peter and the other disciple ran to the tomb to see. The other disciple out ran Peter and got there first. He stooped and looked in and saw the linen cloth lying there, but he didn't go in.. Then Simon Peter arrived and went inside. He also noticed the linen wrappings lying there, while the cloth that had covered Jesus' head was folded up and lying to the side.

Is that important? Absolutely! Is it really significant? Yes! In order to understand the significance of the folded napkin, you have to understand a little bit about Hebrew tradition of that day. The folded napkin had to do with the Master and Servant, and every Jewish boy knew this tradition. When the servant set the dinner table for the master, he made sure that it was exactly the way the master wanted it. The table was furnished perfectly, and then the servant would wait, just out of sight, until the master had finished eating, and the servant would not dare touch that table, until the master was finished. Now if the master was done eating, he would rise from the table, wipe his fingers, his mouth, and clean his beard, and would wad up that napkin and toss it onto the table. The servant would then know to clear the table. For in those days, the wadded napkin meant, 'I'm done'. But if the master got up from the table, and folded his napkin, and laid it beside his plate, the servant would not dare touch the table, because……

The folded napkin meant, 'I'm coming back!' 

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2008, 10:21:40 PM »

AMEN!

This is beautiful and so true. We serve a LIVING LORD AND SAVIOUR, JESUS CHRIST! Our Life is in HIS, so this is something for us to give THANKS for every day. It gives me great JOY to know that I'm one of HIS Purchased Possessions. HIS Blood has washed my sins away, and I give THANKS this world is NOT my HOME!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour Forever!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 49 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the