Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:29:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Don't answer Census, don't face going to jail
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Don't answer Census, don't face going to jail  (Read 2320 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:31:41 AM »

Don't answer Census,
don't face going to jail 
Government demands answers, but
official confirms penalties not applied

Another month is coming, and another 250,000 forms are being mailed out in the U.S. Census Bureau's perpetual American Community Survey, which demands responses to personal questions about a family's lifestyle, housing accommodations, work schedules, physical and mental disabilities, income and the like.

That means roughly 250,000 times recipients will see the warning that participation is required by law, and there are penalties including fines for not answering each question. But, in fact, U.S. Census Bureau officials say they've never had anyone prosecuted for refusing to provide those intimate details to the government.

"The Census Bureau has never prosecuted anybody," spokesman Clyve Richmond told WND. "We try to work with people and explain how useful the information is."

As WND has reported, the U.S. Census Bureau switched from the surveys once every 10 years, called for in the U.S. Constitution, to annual surveys sent to three million households, to keep the government's data more up-to-date.

The issue arises periodically about the invasion into a family's privacy by the questions, including:

* Does this house, apartment, or mobile home have COMPLETE plumbing facilities; that is, 1) hot and cold piped water, 2) a flush toilet, and 3) a bathtub or shower?

* At any time DURING THE PAST 12 MONTHS, did anyone in this household receive food stamps? If so, how much?

* Do you have a mortgage and if so, how much is it?

* Because of a physical, mental, or emotional condition does this person have any difficulty in doing any of the following: learning, dressing, bathing or getting around?

* Has this person given birth in the last year?

* What time did this person go to work?

* How much did this person make in salaries? Interest? Retirement?

There are several Internet blogs where consumers sound off, including Survivalerts, where "Mark" submitted a copy of a letter to his state senator asking if he supported the survey, and "under what authority I am being required – under the penalty of fines – to give up my privacy under the Bill of Rights and be forced to give the Census Bureau information on my private life."

(Story continues below)

"As a U.S. citizen (I know that really doesn't mean anything anymore) I DEMAND THAT YOU REPRESENT ME and work with other representatives, state and federal, to abolish this outrageous 'survey,' which is nothing more than a Moscow-style attempt to gather information on citizens. The questions on this survey have nothing to do with the Census as outlined by the Founders – they are offensive, unconstitutional, and un-America."

Mark told WND the government already has most of the information, through tax records, work records, and various accesses to utility records and the like. "All this information the government already has. They just want me to do the research for them," he said.

But he also expressed concern about the security of private information.

"Sandy Berger could get this, put it in his socks and walk out with it," he said.

And he objected to having the government collect his information and provide it to other private entities. The Census' own documentation provides that the information is "made available to federal, state and local governments and also to the public. The data will enable your community leaders from government, business and nonprofit organizations to plan more effectively."

"Walt," wrote about how he'd been approached a number of times: "The ACS lady came by for her second visit around 6:00 yesterday afternoon. I happened to outside and greeted her at her car door – she never got out. I advised her that the owner or owners of the information she is seeking have not authorized it to be released…"

"Reasoning with a Census 'field representative' is like reasoning with a Jihadist. They believe what they are being paid to do is worthwhile, BUT cannot and will not do anything if you just refuse to play their game. Be polite if you wish. Frankly, I lost my cool and yelled 'don't talk about fining me, DO IT! You'll get plenty of publicity!'" added "Scribe."

While the prosecutions haven't happened yet, the mailings, phone calls and door-knocking have, and will continue, Richmond said.

"We'll get tired and go away eventually," Richmond told WND. "But we might knock on your door a whole bunch of times."

There are about 5,000 "field representatives," who work not only on the ACS but other Census programs as well, available to call or visit those targeted by the Census, Richmond said.

"We are very persistent," he said.

Richmond told WND the questions haven't changed significantly since the 1980s or 1990s, and the government really believes there is a purpose behind the individual queries.

A departure time and location and destination, for example, tells road planners where to focus their resources, he said. Reports that some homes don't have full bathrooms – having only a shower or something – could indicate a region of poverty, he said.

Besides the constitutionally required allocation of federal representation based on the Census every 10 years, billions of dollars in federal funds are allocated based on an assessment of survey responses, Richmond said.

He also said he understands concerns people raise about their confidential information and its potential uncontrolled release. He said that's why federal government Census bureau workers are subject to fines and jail for releasing such information inappropriately.

"About the last year or so, we've been getting more and more of those concerns: people don't want to respond. They just don't believe the federal government or anyone can keep their information secret anymore," Richmond said.

"We do safeguard it as well as we can," he said, describing the process that allows information to be accessible only by those with clearance, and handled only by fulltime employees at the Census processing center in Indiana.

He said the information is stored in computers that are not even connected to the Internet.

But other critics pointed out that the Census letters are mailed through ordinary mail, and those who object should just ignore them.

Wrote Cathy, "Try to ignore them, they have no talking points for that. They don't understand the right to privacy."

"Well it has been about a month and a half. All seams (sic) to be over and I am not in jail," added "Just Me."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 01:21:28 PM »

While the prosecutions haven't happened yet, the mailings, phone calls and door-knocking have, and will continue, Richmond said.

"We'll get tired and go away eventually," Richmond told WND. "But we might knock on your door a whole bunch of times."

There are about 5,000 "field representatives," who work not only on the ACS but other Census programs as well, available to call or visit those targeted by the Census, Richmond said.

"We are very persistent," he said.

Bull!!

I have yet to see one on my door step, neither have any of my neighbors. We are in an area that has been forgotten. None of us have gotten anything in the mail either.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 02:01:08 PM »

They can knock all they want.  They would have no way of knowing the Hard Head that lives behind my particular door!  I'm like this: It's MY door and it's MY phone.  I only answer it when I feel like it.  Ask my family! Tongue

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 02:20:14 PM »

It's good to have a skillet proof head.   Cheesy Cheesy

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »

It's good to have a skillet proof head.   Cheesy Cheesy

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 03:17:31 PM »

grammy is that you?    Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 07:52:58 PM »

grammy is that you?    Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

And I didn't say it grammy

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2007, 01:00:48 AM »

Alright you two!  I just now got back to this thread and see that you've been entertaining yourselves at my expense again!  I can see that I'm going to have separate you two before I can get any sleep tonight!

PR         DW

Goodnight!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2007, 02:40:30 AM »

Alright you two!  I just now got back to this thread and see that you've been entertaining yourselves at my expense again!  I can see that I'm going to have separate you two before I can get any sleep tonight!

PR         DW
Well brother, I see she thinks we are Heckle and Jeckle. Little does she know, we aren't magpies...................... Grin Grin

Goodnight!

Good night sister, sleep well. Be safe riding that bike

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 10:04:59 AM »

Well brother, I see she thinks we are Heckle and Jeckle. Little does she know, we aren't magpies...................... Grin Grin

Nope, not magpies Old Featherhead, but we are pretty good at throwin' pies.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 10:18:29 AM »

Nope, not magpies Old Featherhead, but we are pretty good at throwin' pies.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

OOO YEAH, good ole pie throwing, we haven't done that in a while. Grin

I want mine with fresh strawberries and real whipped cream. If I'm going to break my diet it might as well be worth it  Grin Grin Grin

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2007, 12:41:05 PM »

Old Featherhead?? Remember your older then I am brother. Grin Grin Grin

I would say we are pretty good at tossing pies.  Grin Grin Grin Grin

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2007, 01:42:45 PM »

Old Featherhead   Grin Grin Grin Grin

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2007, 01:53:41 PM »

PK        DW          BlkEye

Otherwise known as....

I'm cracking myself up! 

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2007, 02:04:56 PM »

I'm cracking myself up! 

Looneytoons in action.   Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the