Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:06:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Good Works Poll Question
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Are good works required for Salvation or to maintain Salvation?
Yes - 2 (13.3%)
No - 13 (86.7%)
I don't know. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 14

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Works Poll Question  (Read 10992 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2007, 12:21:40 PM »

Grammyluv Said:

Every morning I get up and I can hardly wait to see what someone has posted on these polls and I am disappointed.  Of over 3,000 members there are only 4? 5? of us willing to jump up.

Cheesy   Sister, we had close to 10,000 members at one time, but many of them hadn't been here in years, so their accounts and membership were canceled. We have lots of folks who only log in once in a while, but we have tons of readers. We average over 12,000 page views per day, and we'd love to have many more people actively participate every day. That might be something like us saying that it would be wonderful if all Christians studied their Bibles every day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2007, 01:17:30 PM »

Cheesy   Sister, we had close to 10,000 members at one time, but many of them hadn't been here in years, so their accounts and membership were canceled. We have lots of folks who only log in once in a while, but we have tons of readers. We average over 12,000 page views per day, and we'd love to have many more people actively participate every day. That might be something like us saying that it would be wonderful if all Christians studied their Bibles every day.

Love In Christ,
Tom

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

Oops!  Sorry Tom.  Not what I meant at all.  Just trying to urge more to participate.  Grin

Let us fight the good fight!
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »

Oops!  Sorry Tom.  Not what I meant at all.  Just trying to urge more to participate.  Grin

Sister Yvette,

I understood completely and didn't think anything bad at all. It would be interesting to see about a dozen Christians discussing this issue.

Love In Christ,
Tom

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 02:01:42 PM »

Sister Yvette,

I understood completely and didn't think anything bad at all. It would be interesting to see about a dozen Christians discussing this issue.

Love In Christ,
Tom

KEEP LOOKING UP!!

Oh.  Well in that case....of all the things I've lost.....I miss my mind the most!  Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 02:25:50 PM »

Oh.  Well in that case....of all the things I've lost.....I miss my mind the most!  Grin

Remember now that you were the one that said that. Oops ... that's right you can't remember it without a mind.   Grin Grin Grin

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2007, 02:37:24 PM »

Grin   Grin   ROFL!

That reminds me of a dream I had last night. I dreamed that I was awake and woke up to find out that I was asleep.

I also made a mistake and tried to unlock the house with the car key. It started up, so I drove it around the block.

So, just remember:  wherever you go - there you are.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2007, 02:50:39 PM »

Remember now that you were the one that said that. Oops ... that's right you can't remember it without a mind.   Grin Grin Grin

Grin   Grin   ROFL!

That reminds me of a dream I had last night. I dreamed that I was awake and woke up to find out that I was asleep.

I also made a mistake and tried to unlock the house with the car key. It started up, so I drove it around the block.

So, just remember:  wherever you go - there you are.

It's not nice to pick on little old ladies....why, I have a half a mind..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .................

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2007, 02:58:13 PM »

It's not nice to pick on little old ladies....why, I have a half a mind..............zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz .................

At least you found half of it.   Grin Grin Grin  Now you just need to keep that half awake.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2007, 03:22:04 PM »

You Guy's are Killing me ROFL Cry Cry Cry
YLBD
ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »

for by grace are you saved through faith, not of works lest any man should boast.
only the shed blood of Jesus can save us from our sins. We do good works after we
are saved because we love our savior, and because he has removed the stoney heart in
us and but in a heart that can feel. "for love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of
God and knoweth God, he that loveth not knoweth not God FOR GOD IS LOVE

respectfully yours in Jesus

ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 04:35:58 PM »

for by grace are you saved through faith, not of works lest any man should boast.
only the shed blood of Jesus can save us from our sins. We do good works after we
are saved because we love our savior, and because he has removed the stoney heart in
us and but in a heart that can feel. "for love is of God and everyone that loveth is born of

ravenloche

Nicely put.  Cheesy

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2007, 06:29:30 AM »

ravenloche

AMEN RAVENLOCHE!

Brother, it's great to hear from you. I give thanks that our works have nothing to do with obtaining or maintaining Salvation. The Perfect and Completed Work of JESUS CHRIST on the CROSS is our Salvation. We have nothing of any worth to add to the Perfect Sacrifice of JESUS CHRIST. Our good works are nothing but our expressions of love and appreciation for what JESUS CHRIST has already done and completed most perfectly.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks be unto God for His unspeakable GIFT, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour Forever!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2007, 07:25:17 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

Performing good works and/or obeying the Law has never Saved a single person, nor have these things maintained the Salvation of a single person.

GOD will judge our good works for rewards that have nothing whatsoever to do with Salvation. The Bible instructs us to perform good works and defines what GOD will consider to be good works. Good works are part of our personal relationship with GOD, but they don't result in Salvation or loss of Salvation. Good works are also part of our living testimony before men. There are many areas of the Bible that instruct us and exhort us about what to do and how to live as Christians. In fact, there are instructions for every area of our lives. These ARE NOT Salvation issues, rather they are ways that "our joy might be more full" as Christians. Fulfilling these instructions as Christians effects everyone around us and is a "reasonable service" for GOD.

Brothers and Sisters, there is NO glory in Salvation for man - all Glory MUST and does go to GOD. Mankind will never have anything to brag about - ZERO! If we Glory in anything it MUST be in CHRIST!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 2:16 NASB
nevertheless knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the Law but through faith in Christ Jesus, even we have believed in Christ Jesus, so that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by the works of the Law; since by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified.

Romans 3:19-28 NASB
Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin. But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus. Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law.

Romans 4:1-6 NASB
What then shall we say that Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh, has found? For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God. For what does the Scripture say? "ABRAHAM BELIEVED GOD, AND IT WAS CREDITED TO HIM AS RIGHTEOUSNESS." Now to the one who works, his wage is not credited as a favor, but as what is due. But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness, just as David also speaks of the blessing on the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:

Ephesians 2:8-10 NASB
For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Galatians 3:2-3 NASB
This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh?

1 Corinthians 3:11-15 NASB
For no man can lay a foundation other than the one which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man builds on the foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each man's work will become evident; for the day will show it because it is to be revealed with fire, and the fire itself will test the quality of each man's work. If any man's work which he has built on it remains, he will receive a reward. If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2007, 09:46:08 AM »

Amen Brother Tom.

I voted NO, salvation comes only through accepting the free gift of God. If we do not accept Jesus as our Lord and Savior, no amount of good works can save us. Of course this does not mean that if we see a brother or sister in  need  we shouldn't help them, we should show the love that we receive in the fruits of the Spirit when we receive Jesus into our hearts. But good works alone will NOT save us.

Once we receive Jesus as our Savior our hearts are changed and we do good works not because we want salvation, but because we have the love of the Holy Spirit. We do it not to be praised or receive recognition from others. We shouldn't even let anyone else know that we are doing it, God will be our rewarder.

Mt 6:1 ¶ Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven. (KJV)

Mt 6:2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. (KJV)

Mt 6:3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: (KJV)

Mt 6:4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly. (KJV)

Salvation

Ac 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Joh 3:17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

Joh 10:9 I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.
 Ac 2:21 And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Ac 4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Ac 15:11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

Joh 3:15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
 Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »

AMEN SISTER MARIA!

If any Christian stops and considers what GOD has given us and what JESUS CHRIST did on the CROSS for us, the result should be a heart overflowing with gratitude.

GOD tells us that our good works must be motivated by love - not duty. For the same reasons, GOD tells us that our good works must not be done for personal recognition before men. These types of works will be burned up.

Most Christians don't give a second thought to rewards that are over and above what GOD has already done for us. We also don't do good works for rewards. We do good works because we love GOD and love others. Any other motive will cause the work to be burned up. If we consider the Promises of GOD for Eternity, what more could we possibly ask of GOD? BUT, GOD has told us there is more in this short life and for Eternity to come.

This does NOT mean that GOD will answer all of our prayers in this short life, but HE will hear our prayers and answer those that are within HIS Will for us. Whatever our circumstances are in this short life, our hearts should be full of love and gratitude for what GOD has done for us. What GOD gave us is priceless, and we can't ever repay HIM, so Salvation is NOT on the installment payment plan.

For our part, our good works should make us feel good because we are loving and helping someone other than ourselves. It must be done gladly and with love because anything else will be burned up.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Timothy 2:1-3 NASB
You therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. The things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, entrust these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. Suffer hardship with me, as a good soldier of Christ Jesus.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the