Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:12:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Am I the only parent who doesn't 'do' Halloween?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Am I the only parent who doesn't 'do' Halloween?  (Read 22603 times)
Sister Sarah

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2007, 10:23:53 AM »

I'm feeling very isolated at the moment. In the small community where I live, there was recently a big Halloween celebration. As a committed Christian, I didn't feel I could allow my children to participate. The older two were devastated at first, but were ok once they got used to the idea. Then I discovered that out of all the children in the Sunday school we go to, mine were the only ones who hadn't been to the Halloween event. I didn't make a big deal of it, but I was very surprised, well shocked, actually, and now I feel so alone. I'm beginning to feel a bit 'weird'. I haven't allowed Harry Potter through the door either, I'm afraid I don't care how well written or entertaining they are, they promote witch craft and the bible clearly tells us that this is wrong. Is there anyone out there who feels the same? Am I really the only one?

Sister Sarah, mother of four
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »

Hi Sister Sarah,

Welcome to Christians Unite forums.

I'm a grandpa myself right now but you aren't alone. I didn't allow Halloween either and I do not like the Harry Potter books for the same reason as you. Don't allow others to make you feel that you should. As we get further toward the end times the more true Christians will be alienated. We must stand strong in the Lord for it is He that will judge us not others around us.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Eva

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 11:06:14 AM »

Hi Sister Sarah:

No you are not alone.  I am the mother of and 8 year old daughter.  I do not decorate, allow her to trick or treat or attend Halloween parties, etc.

I believe this is training her up in the way that she should go.  Do what God directs you to do, regardless of what others think.   

Pastor Roger-I agree with him on the Harry Potter books too.  And we are aliens and foreigners in this world, we should be different.   

Love in Christ, Eva

I can do ALL things through Christ, who strengthens me.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »

Hello Sister Sarah, and welcome to Christians Unite forum. My own daughter is named Sara. Cheesy

Sister you may want to read this thread, on Halloween, Trick or Deception (<---- in the forum.) I posted this back in October 2005.

Eva

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 06:41:09 PM »

Dreamweaver:

Thank you so much for the link.  I am a new to this forum too, and there is so much here it can be a bit overwhelming.

Love in Christ, Eva

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 09:50:22 PM »

Dreamweaver:

Thank you so much for the link.  I am a new to this forum too, and there is so much here it can be a bit overwhelming.

Love in Christ, Eva

Your welcome sister, I had forgotten I had posted that or I would have bumped it up for halloween. If you want to find something specific sister, the easiest way is to use the Advanced Search function.

Eva

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »

Dreamweaver:

Thank you so much for your assistance.  So far, I have checked most of the new posts.

Love in Christ, Eva

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 10:46:01 PM »

Dreamweaver:

Thank you so much for your assistance.  So far, I have checked most of the new posts.

Love in Christ, Eva

Your welcome sister, we the mods don't mind helping everyone out, one way or another.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 11:03:47 PM »

Your welcome sister, we the mods don't mind helping everyone out, one way or another.

Amen. In fact it is our joy to do so.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Eva

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 10:25:50 AM »

Dreamweaver & Pastor Roger:

Many thanks to you both and God Bless you for all you do to bring forth the TRUE interpretations of God's Word and gently correcting misinterpretations.  It's very refreshing.

Love in Christ, Eva

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2007, 12:08:01 PM »

First I would like to welcome you sister Sara, you are not isolated. I too raised 4 children and didn't celebrate holloween, they didn't go trick or trating and I didn't decorate or pass out any candy. Now I have been raising my 2 stepdaughters I've had them for over 8 years, they are 15 and 16 now, and they were very disappointed when I didn't let them do holloween. Now they understand and they are ok with it.

I don't really allow anything that will give the devil a footstep in my house that includes harry potter, mtv, ouija games and many other things that are not of God, but instead are a tool used by the enemy to draw people away from God. I also tought my children that there is no santa clause and that every good gift comes from God. My 2 stepdaughters were very unhappy about that too when I first got them, but now again they understand the truth.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
ludwig

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2007, 11:03:50 AM »

hello sister sarah pastor roger and all the others
i am glad to know that there are christians who oppose introducing halloween and harry potter into the kids' lives. I feel in my gut that the Lord is not pleased either for us to allow those things into the children's lives.  on that note i am also troubled with introducing santa clause. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the