Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:33:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Timeline  (Read 1502 times)
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2003, 05:11:58 PM »

I'll give Timeline this: It tries. Of course, some could consider this the movie's downfall, as most of the time it seems like it's trying too hard. Intrigued by an unusual find in an archaeolgical dig, a group of anthropologists discover that the protagonist's father has been sent back in time while testing a machine that is meant to instantly transport matter from one point to another. They decide that they must go back to 14th century France to find the old archaeologist and bring him back to the present.

While this may sound like an interesting premise for a movie, and it is, the director's execution of Michael Crighton's book is not so smooth. The first, and most obvious example of this is the acting. Did anyone watch that Dinotopia miniseries a few years back? No? Well, the acting was very remniscient of that. In any case, it was poor. The next problem the movie encounters is the lack of consistency. The heroes spend the first three fourths of the movie scampering around France trying to avoid the British. It's unnecessary. And the highly anticipated battle scene at the end of the movie was a letdown. It was too scripted, too quick, too boring. The ending just seemed to be a way to finish the movie, rather than finish the story. There were some unanswered questions that, while not vital to the story, would have been nice to have answered. The love stories seemed like they were there for the sake of being there. And my last complaint is that all the guys had long curly hair, and it was hard to tell them apart at times.

The bad outweighed the good in any case. Some of the good things included the beginning, some parts of the battle were pretty cool, and that there were numerous skirmishes between the French and English throughout the film.

It's a novel (pun intended) idea, but in the end, it's just too Hollywood. After seeing it once, I know I would never see it again (at least, not in the theater), and I couldn't help feeling a little robbed of my time afterwards. I suppose watching The Two Towers the night before didn't help my objectiveness at all, but nevertheless...

2 out of 4 stars.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2003, 07:15:31 PM »

The plot had Stargate rip all over it. The science setting, with all the Arechology of DNA talk, gave it a Jurassic Park feel (big shocker from a Crighton book). The battles and fights Where Braveheart-ish. And Paul Walker is supposedly one of the top actors. Well, that stuff is good, but doesn’t make up for the castle-sized plot holes and extremely poor character Development. The only character they build up a little was Marick. They HAD to build him in like they did, so the end could make since. The movie was good for an escapist Action flick. If you look at sections of the movie, it was good. The plot left much to be desired. And why Chris and home girl hooked up at the end, I will never know. The beginning, they liked each other, but she didn’t want to date the bosses son. After traveling back in time and changing the course of history, what changed about that? NOTHING. He was still the hansom bosses daughter, and she was still one of those stereotypical nerdy chicks Julia Roberts  invented. Of course you knew that would happen from the first 5 minutes when you found out he likes her. Which beings me to complaint number. WAY to predictable. Not every movie can be the Matrix, where the author pulls some crazy twist out and your like "Holy crap, didn't see that coming!" Ofcourse, the "twist" in the Matrix ended up being the downfall of the whole series, so I geuss that is a good thing.

All in all, it is a good movie. Not a “must see” by any means, but if have nothing to do, and a few bucks to burn, go for it.

I'd give it 3 out of 4, because while it didn't go into the depth of a Crighton book, it is a generally "fun" movie, and the costume and props were good and historical.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
a.b.

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2003, 06:48:33 PM »

Thanx for the review.  I had thought about buying it for a Christmas gift but I've changed my mind.

I love Christian movies and family oriented films.  Could you recommend a good one?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2003, 09:45:06 AM »

Timeline One of the Best Movies ever made I give it a ****

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the