Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:57:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Slowly re-discovering I have faith
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Slowly re-discovering I have faith  (Read 1147 times)
Bucky

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2007, 10:19:54 PM »

Not too long ago, it would have been hard to imagine me seeking out advice and fellowship from Christians, but my perspective on life has changed considerably in recent months. I got saved and baptized in a Baptist Church but attended  Assemblies of God churches for the majority of my childhood and teenage years. I believed strongly in Christ and Christian values until my latter teenage years, read my Bible and prayed every day, went to church twice a week, but then changed dramatically. What happened from there is a blur, but to make a long story short, I had a very rebellious time in my life and entirely rejected Christianity for over a decade. Last year, things culminated with drug abuse, a nervous breakdown, and hospitalization from an attempted suicide. It was at that lowest point, that I finally understood the completely hopeless path in life I'd chosen and slowly, I've worked to change my life for the better. The turning point for me was remembering what it felt like when I was saved, when I was baptized, and a few profound experiences I had with Christ early on in my life and realizing no matter how rotten I'd been, He was still there, watching and waiting for me to come back to Him. Now, as I'm approaching turning 32 years old, I'm mellowing out and rethinking a lot of hurtful things I've said and done. Looking back, it is as if I've built an entire identity on being a hateful, angry person, especially towards Christians. Anyway, as I said before, my perspective has changed. At the risk of sounding hokey, I sincerely feel like God is moving in my life and calling me back. It's a confusing time for me, but I was hoping to be able to talk to people. I haven't been in a church in 14 years, but I am planning on going back soon. I'm finding it tough to get the courage to do as I'd have to take that step alone into a place where I'd feel like an outsider. I haven't decided whether or not to go back to the old church I attended as a child or seek out a new one, but I'm taking things slowly. I probably won't post much here, but I'm reading and learning. If anyone has any advice, I welcome it. I'm grateful to have a place to go semi-anonymously to be able to gain insight and hopefully find good advice. I'm far from a perfect person, but I'm trying to learn to be a better one and coming here is just one more baby step for me in a new direction. Anyway, thanks for having me and thanks for reading.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 10:37:35 PM »

Hi Bucky,

Welcome to Christians Unite. I do hope and pray that you find what you are looking for. I also pray that you make the right decision in getting back into a good church. You do not have to be alone in making that step. Jesus will be with you and leading you in the right direction if you but let Him. As a child of God you would not be alone nor an outsider. As for being a perfect person, there is no perfect person on earth without Christ. It is He that works within us to perfect us and that work will not be finished until He returns to call us home.

I sincerely hope that you do read the abundant information here and that you will feel free to ask any questions that you may have. One of the most important things that a Christian can do to strengthen their walk in Christ is to be in fellowship with other Christians. For this reason I pray that you will join us in some wonderful Christian fellowship.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Bucky

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:42:11 PM »

Thank you! I've definitely found a lot of excellent reading here.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 06:31:35 AM »

Hello Bucky!

WELCOME!

I really enjoyed reading your testimony. I love to hear about how GOD works in our lives. I must also say that there's nothing "hokey" about talking about how GOD works in our lives. GOD wants to work in and through all of us. For a Christian, our ultimate happiness is when we yield to HIS Will and give ourselves over to HIM. After all, we were bought by the precious Blood of JESUS CHRIST on the CROSS. HE pulled us out of the pit and rescued us from the curse of sin and death. In fact, we are HIS Purchased Possession - we belong to HIM. These facts should give us gratitude overflowing and love for HIM in all that HE means to us. HE Loved us first, even when we were lost in our sins and in the darkness.

Many Christians have a time of rebellion in their lives, and I respect you for the courage of your testimony. I will pray that your strength in HIM increases each day. You've already told us that you didn't enjoy the darkness. You're in the LIGHT now, and you don't ever have to go back into that pit of darkness again. The LIGHT of course is JESUS CHRIST. There is great Power in GOD'S WORD, including Power from GOD to resist the devil. We don't rely on our own power to Walk in the LIGHT, rather GOD'S POWER. I will be praying for you.

I sincerely hope that you enjoy Christians Unite. I look forward to reading your posts and having fellowship with you.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2007, 09:20:45 AM »

Welcome Bucky

Already much good advice and encouragement can be found.  I would strongly recommend reading James and Hebrews often.  THey deal with faith and faith building quite alot.

I have a warning for you as well.  You had talked about unsurity as far as going back to church.  And the comment below
I'm grateful to have a place to go semi-anonymously to be able to gain insight and hopefully find good advice.
Although you will gain a ton of insight and advice here.  For your spiritual growth I would strongly recommend praying that God will lead you to a church and I would recommend that you start going to some local churches.  I believe it is vitally important for a Christian to be involved with the church, even if that involvement is just attending regularly.  And Satan can quite easily begin to inject his ideas of "bad" church and how good it feels to be "anonymous" and thus keep you from attending. 

Well warning aside I say read on.  Enjoy and if you ever have any questions on anything never hesitate to ask.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2007, 10:37:57 PM »

Welcome Bucky, Glad to have you with us. You've been given a lot of good advice and there is always someone here to answer
questions or just make you laugh with good Christian humor. Look forward to reading your posts.   Smiley Smiley Smiley

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007, 12:19:06 AM »

Hello Bucky, welcome to Christians Unite forum.

ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 08:37:36 AM »

no matter how rotten I'd been, He was still there, watching and waiting for me to come back to Him

Hello Bucky,

Welcome you to the forum. You brought tears to my eyes as I read your post. God Bless you son! And one of the most important things you said is what I have 'quoted' above here!

Your Sister in Christ... Tina

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the