Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:52:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  CHRISTIAN?
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Are all thoughts saved ie."born agian" Christian?
YES - 1 (16.7%)
NO - 5 (83.3%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CHRISTIAN?  (Read 13435 times)
Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2003, 09:15:19 PM »

Let me try to explain the way I understand Christian to mean.
              Are all Christians saved? Yes
              Are all truly saved people Christian? No
                                        Why?
        ACTS 11:26 And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.

The why it was explained to me the reason the disciples were called Christian was that they followed Christ's way that they were Christ/ like, and to me it seems that the ones who become saved yet remain babes in Christ, and not grow, are they Christian? I do not see how they could be for they wouldn't know Christ's ways, even a disciple by Strong's a disciple is a pupil, or a student, thus one excepts Christ as their personal savior yet never grow much past that point, the way I understand they wouldn't be a Christian. An example would be like AAAAmember ex roommate and her boyfriend, http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=1538    Even though they say that they are saved " and I'm not saying there not saved" they should that they were not Christian.
          It is my believe that it isn't the world that use the name Christian to freely, but most of us have gone along with it many say that when you first saved that you are a Christian, its as if the name, or title we call our faith means little to many. To me one should earn the name that it be special.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2003, 09:54:34 PM »

It is clear that many who consider themselves christians, will be surprised on that day to find out Jesus never, knew them.

And it is not a case of having known them at one time, Jesus says;

"...then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Yet they by their own words, testify, asking;

"have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?"  (Mat 7:22)

It appears, that the deception of being a christian concerning these, is such that they will be completely deceived believing they do God a service, claiming to be His people.

It reminds me of those who murdered Jesus, they actually believed they were doing God a service by killing a person they perceived was a heretic, when He was speaking the truth to them.

The same thing the Roman Catholic church did, in using the state governmental authorities to persecute, torture and murder  Christians that did not disagree with them in the dark ages, they certainly thought they were doing God a service.

Rest assured the delusion is sent to them by God, to believe a lie, since they have rejected the truth.

It is written;

He taketh the wise in their own craftiness.  And again, The Lord knoweth the thoughts of the wise, that they are vain.   (1 Cor 3:19-20)

Blessings,
Petro

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2003, 10:05:02 PM »

Forrest,

In light of your explanation of what you are saying, I would say "No."  I understand you to be saying that just being saved doesn't make one a Christian, and I agree.  Here's why:  Jesus said that if one was to be His disciple he must be ready to obey by doing x, y, and z.  One cannot be a disciple without being saved, yet one can obviously be saved without being a disciple.  I think the old illustration suits best.  If you were brought to trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  I've always seen that to be in reference to the obedient life of a disciple rather than that of a prodigal son, as opposed to salvific grace.  I can see the point, and the question is a good one.  We must be obedient, and we must not only make sure to be ready to give a reason of the hope that is within us, but be attentive not to bushel our light, so as that hope may be clearly seen.  

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2003, 08:04:16 AM »

Forrest,

In light of your explanation of what you are saying, I would say "No."  I understand you to be saying that just being saved doesn't make one a Christian, and I agree.  Here's why:  Jesus said that if one was to be His disciple he must be ready to obey by doing x, y, and z.  One cannot be a disciple without being saved, yet one can obviously be saved without being a disciple.  I think the old illustration suits best.  If you were brought to trial for being a Christian, would there be enough evidence to convict you?  I've always seen that to be in reference to the obedient life of a disciple rather than that of a prodigal son, as opposed to salvific grace.  I can see the point, and the question is a good one.  We must be obedient, and we must not only make sure to be ready to give a reason of the hope that is within us, but be attentive not to bushel our light, so as that hope may be clearly seen.  

If one is saved, he is also equipped by God the Holy Spirit.

Jesus said:

Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
  Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
  And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
  Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
  Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
  (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
  But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
(Mat 6:25-33

But when they deliver you up, take no thought how or what ye shall speak: for it shall be given you in that same hour what ye shall speak. (Lk 12:22)

His Word (Mat 6:33) herein recorded by Mathew, are not spoken to those who are saved yet!  

He is speaking to those who will be saved..

Anyone who is truly saved, has at his disposal the entire benefits which come with being an heir, of the King, nothing lacking.

It just appears that way, and it really is because of unbelief, perhaps it is brought by unfaithfulness or lack of faith.

This is the sin that so easily besets Christians;  lack of faith.

How else can Christians claim to be of God, and not believe His WORD, and there seems to be more than a few.

The only other expalnation is that they deceive themselves in believing they are, christian,  when in fact they are not.

Blessings,
Petro
« Last Edit: November 25, 2003, 08:05:30 AM by Petro » Logged

Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2003, 10:37:11 PM »

John 1:12, 13; John 3:3. Very clear. VERY clear.
  "But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God which were born..."
"Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2003, 07:23:28 AM »

No real disagreements here Petro my brother, but I think he's making a distinction in wording.  Jesus did put the stipulation on being His disciple.  I suppose the real question should be, is every saved person a disciple?  I agree that God equips all saved people with His Spirit, even enables them via that Spirit and His word to be the very disciples worthy of the distinction of being called "Christian."  But God expects obedience on our part.  What of those believers, like Demas, who love this present world and refuse to obey?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2003, 11:41:32 AM »

No real disagreements here Petro my brother, but I think he's making a distinction in wording.  Jesus did put the stipulation on being His disciple.  I suppose the real question should be, is every saved person a disciple?  I agree that God equips all saved people with His Spirit, even enables them via that Spirit and His word to be the very disciples worthy of the distinction of being called "Christian."  But God expects obedience on our part.  What of those believers, like Demas, who love this present world and refuse to obey?

Amen,  The work of God, is that everyone who sees the son, and receives Him, comes top full blown faith in Him, it is not a work man does himself.

I t can only be accomplished by God the Holy Spirit.

The reason why some do not appear to be full blown believers is because some are babes, and others stunted in their growth, they simplhy stumble at the word, because they do not study it, in the light of the teaching of the Comforter.

Blessings,  Petro

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2003, 02:09:39 AM »

The reason I posted this poll was to get a general idea on others thinking on this, for I am getting upset, and perturbed with how most people seem to think if you go to church, or your father did, that they were born in the USA that makes them a Christian. At work I've two who go to Church, and claim to have accepted Christ as their savior yet they seem to do everything that they can to drag my Savior, and Lord Jesus Christ through the mud with them self, I know there isn't much I can do but it drags every other true Christian down with them.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2003, 01:14:28 AM »

We know them by their fruits brother.  Some will claim something they don't have, others will ignore something they do have to their own detriment and to the detriment of the testimony of Christ.  But then, are those who obediently follow Jesus any better?  Do we not all do harm to the testimony of Christ by our sin?  Just read some of the posts in this forum and see where each of us takes a biblical truth, and turns it into a personal issue when disagreed with!  Praise God that He forgives our sin, and that in His grace, He is glorified.

But God, being rich in mercy, because of the great love with which he loved us, even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ--by grace you have been saved-- and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.

Ephesians 2:4-7

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2003, 02:21:51 AM »

Allinall,

Well said and well taken brother.  In searching my own heart, I think I could ask it like this; Am I using God, or is he using me?

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2003, 02:46:56 AM »

Allinall,

Well said and well taken brother.  In searching my own heart, I think I could ask it like this; Am I using God, or is he using me?

Amen brother!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the