Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:38:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Should Christians celebrate holidays when most orginated from the Babylonian's
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Should Christians celebrate holidays when most orginated from the Babylonian's  (Read 2929 times)
Truth1212

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2007, 03:52:34 AM »

I writing this because, I have concerns, that we as Christians are supposed to be separated from the world. But, we practice and celebrate holidays that originated from pagan practices and customs. How do we separate ourselves ?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 04:43:11 AM »

This is a topic that some people insist on debating about. It is one that should not be an area of contention but does end up being so frequently. There are those that insist on putting us all back under laws saying it has to be such and such a way. If we have a gathering (or even if we spend it alone) at halloween, Christmas, Easter or any other days in between it should be to honor Christ above all things in all that we do and say. After all, He is Lord over all and all days belong to Him.

Heb 13:15  By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his name.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:44:42 AM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jimacki

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »

I myself have read Hislops "The Two Babylons" and found it extremely interesting reading as to the origin of todays celebrated holidays, and yet do we cancel out celebrating the birth of Christ because it was combined with the birth of the "Sun god", and moved to December 25?( Now this is my own personal thoughts) I feel its fine to celebrate holidays, just let your children know the true meaning of what your celebrating. For Christmas let them know it is about Christ and that there is no such thing as a "Sant Claus". For Easter let them know it is about the resurrection of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and not about some rediculous rabbit who supposedly goes aroud hiding eggs. Take the paganism out of the holiday and give out the true meaning of why we are celebrating whatever day it is. Lets just get back to the truth.
Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 05:15:43 PM »

In 1979..When I first became a christian...I had a picture of a rainbow on the wall...It was given to me by a dear friend..I was told to take it off my wall that it was demonic..also..other things that I could not imagine were not of God..but..I got into the word of God and the more I read the word..the more I began to see hat all good things come from the Lord..That all that is in the sky..the sea..the rocks..They all praise His name..As a mature christian..I have come to the fact that all that is important is to reach out to others the truth of the gospel as it is so distorted and to stay clear from that which will hinder the work God has given us to do...Fellowship, whether it be in our church..home or in this forum should be pleasing unto God that if anyone would come to this forum that does not know the Lord will not be led astray but can know the love of the brethren and acan come and find the truth that is never up for debate for God's word is final and christians are led by the Spirit and know what is not of God and know what God allows and does not allow for they read His word...Each christian carries the truth of the gospel and it is precious to those who have no hope and are lost..Carry the flame and not the debate and  if there be debate let it lead to the cross..May many come to this forum and find hope and be led by the truth of His word..I am thankful there is a place such as this forum that encourages many to seek the Lord in all things...The scriptures posted will not return void to anyone who comes in confused or seeking...but debate only carries the "ifs" that is the mere thought of man...
fvleo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 01:47:26 AM »

I do believe that celebrating pagan traditions is spiritual adultery.  I also believe that what we ought to be celebrating are the festivals that were given to us in the Old Testament... the heritage we were given by the Father.  Because if we are not celebrating those things that he laid out for us, and not living according to his will which is laid out in the old testament, and instead of that are celebrating gluttony and paganism... where exactly does that leave us spiritually? 

I think that he who believes he has all knowledge, really has nothing at all... and that too is scriptural... we are to continue to search, and to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. 
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 09:51:01 AM »

In 1979..When I first became a christian...I had a picture of a rainbow on the wall...It was given to me by a dear friend..I was told to take it off my wall that it was demonic..

Hi Maryjane, whoever told you that a rainbow is demonic is a not aware that God created the rainbow.
satan is not a creator, he cannot create anything, he uses people by deceiving them and lying, trying to make God's creation evil. Of course rainbows are beautiful I always think of God when I see one and I praise Him for His Majesty and Glory, but I do not worship the rainbow it self .... I pray you will understand what I mean.

Ge 9:13 I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:59 AM »

Should we consider the Sabbath as evil because of the "Witches Sabbath" should we ignore the beauty of the rainbow and forget the covenant that God gave the rainbow as a reminder of because it is used for an evil symbol now?

One man considers one day more sacred than another, another man considers every day alike.  Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind.  He who regards one day as special, does so to the Lord.  Romans 14:5-6

It is ridiculous to consider Sunday, Christmas, Easter or any other day as an evil pagan day when all days belong to Him. It is not the day or the object that saves, it is Jesus and Jesus alone. We should be praising Him and thanking Him daily for His wonderful mercies! This is indeed worshiping Him in truth and in spirit.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
BHarper

Worthy Is The Lamb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 02:09:07 AM »

In 1979..When I first became a christian...I had a picture of a rainbow on the wall...It was given to me by a dear friend..I was told to take it off my wall that it was demonic..

There is nothing demonic about the rainbow, Maryjane.  The bow in the clouds was a token of God's promise to Noah after the Flood ( Genesis 9:12-17 ).  However, in these last days the New Age Movement, which is demonic, has hijacked the symbol and have made it one theirs.  To get a better understanding of this I would recommend a book entitled The Hidden Dangers of The Rainbow by Constance Cumbey which was published by Huntington House in 1983.

« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 02:12:34 AM by BHarper » Logged
ludwig

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 04:14:38 AM »

dear everybody  I refer to truth1212's problem.  to me everyday is the day that the Lord has made; rejoice and be glad in it.  but I think truth1212 is talking about celebrating a festival which originates from the heathen world.  for example Christmas Day.  If you were to trace it you will find its heathen origins.  Today many people celebrate it.  but in various ways and for different reasons.  As Christians we take that as Christ's birthday.  Isn't that so?  Actually Christ was not born on 25 December.  So in effect we take Xmas Day as a day to remember Christ's birth even though Xmas day has its heathen origins.  So is that wrong or right?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 10:42:08 AM »

I noticed that you use the word Xmas as if that word were a pagan word that leaves Christ out of it. Did you know that the word Xmas is derived from Greek. The word Xmas was first used in c.1100 in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as Xres męsse. In 1551 as X'temmas, wherein the X is an abbreviation for Christ in Christmas, from first letter of Gk. Christos.

As for celebrating Jesus on that day, that day as are all days belong to Him.

Maryjane

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2007, 10:35:01 PM »

We celebrate everyday that we are a day closer to His coming and a day given to worship Him and to bring a lost soul to the Lord and to encourage our brothers and sisters..

Pagans are people who live each day thinking they can make it on their own..deceived that there is no
God so they create their own God which the true god of this world is "self"..so many who go to churhc only to find what pleases them and never a thought of what pleases God..Whether or not holidays were from Babylonians or clowns..it is a reminder to many that we do not need a specific day to celebrate but to live each day as if the Lord was coming that day for we do not know the time..but we can be ready..and that my friend is cause for celebration as He will be coming again..
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the