Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:26:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Airport with footbaths turns to intimidation
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Airport with footbaths turns to intimidation  (Read 789 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2007, 08:59:56 AM »

Airport with footbaths turns to intimidation
Questioner told to 'not try to stir the pot on this topic'

An official with Kansas City International Airport apparently has tried intimidation in an effort to eliminate discussion about the recently installed footbaths, after repeated denials they are intended for Muslims to perform their footwashing ritual before their prayers.

"That's the way I perceived it," Kevin Peterson told WND in a telephone interview.

Peterson said he shares his name with a union steward for the Air Traffic Controllers Union at Kansas City's airport, but he is not the same individual. He was sent an e-mail from airport spokesman Joe McBride, who assumed he was writing to the union steward.

"The Indianapolis Star reports that the Indianapolis Airport is installing Muslim foot-washing basins in an upcoming renovation," Peterson wrote. "The paper says that Muslim footwashing basins are already installed at KCI.

"Are you planning to issue a denial as to the purpose of the KCI basins to the Indianapolis Star?" he asked.

"I assume you are the Kevin Peterson who is the union steward for the air traffic controllers union," the e-mail signed, electronically, with McBride's name, said.

"Point number one on the first e-mail suggests that your [sic] are in the control tower near the cab facility. I read your previous e-mail on this topic. Your stance is not in the best interest of the airport and the federal government, your employer," the e-mail said.

"I give you the professional courtesy of not commenting or participating in any news media activity regarding ATC union issues, although I am always asked to comment. I ask that you give us the same courtesy and not try to stir the pot on this topic," the e-mail continued.

Then at the end, he adds: "If you are not that Kevin Peterson, I apologize for the above commentary. Either way, I welcome your call to discuss the issue."

WND reported earlier that KCI admitted installing foot-washing benches in a restroom at the airport, but denied they are intended for Muslim cab drivers.

"Recently, a small expansion was made to the building," McBride told WND at the time. "Included were wash areas used for any wash purpose by any of the users, including filling car wash buckets."

He insisted the wash benches were not "built for the exclusive use of any ethnic group or culture." However, the department director in an earlier statement to WND appeared to contradict that claim.

"The majority of our drivers are Muslim, so preventing them from praying at all was not an option, especially in our public terminal restrooms," said Mark VanLoh, director of the Kansas City Aviation Department. "This was the best solution, and those facilities were added without public money."

He added that cab drivers paid for construction through a one-dollar per-trip fee.

In October 2005, the KCI Airport Police first solicited advice from other law enforcement regarding "wash bench facilities for those of Islamic faith," according to internal e-mails obtained by WND. In one e-mail sent to members of the Airport Law Enforcement Agencies Network, or ALEAN, KCI Airport Police brass asked, "If you do have such an area, do you refer to this location as a place for those of Islamic faith to [go to] prepare themselves for worship?"

The KCI Airport Police are responsible for the taxicab drivers and the building they use at the airport to wait on fares. The building contains the restroom with the four new foot-washing benches.

Peterson told WND he had asked about the issue in May, and never got a response. Then when he followed up after the recent Indianapolis report, he got the note from McBride.

He said clearly there's an "undercurrent" in the note. "It sounded like he was trying to intimidate," he said. "If he thought I was John Q. Citizen, I either would not have gotten a response, or I would have gotten a more thoughtful response."

Some 250 taxicab drivers operate at KCI Airport in Missouri, one of the largest airports in the U.S., linking some 10 million passengers between mid-America and other U.S. cities. One internal KCI Airport Police email said "approximately 70% of the drivers are [of] Middle Eastern heritage and practice the Islamic faith."

Muslims are required to wash their feet and other body parts before praying to Allah five times a day. They often complain that public restroom sinks do not accommodate their needs. Floor-level basins and benches make it easier for them to perform their foot-washing ritual.

Other major airports have dealt with increased demands from Muslim cab drivers. Cabbies at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, for instance, recently caused a stir when they refused to carry passengers possessing alcoholic beverages or accompanied by seeing-eye dogs. Alcohol is forbidden in Islam, and dogs are considered unclean.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:41:33 AM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2007, 09:38:17 AM »

I wonder what would happen if non-muslims decided to start using those foot washing basins? Hmmmm...  Might be a nice way to relax just before boarding an airplane!!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2007, 09:42:46 AM »

Since they said it was a building where the taxi cab drivers wait for their fairs I was wondering if anyone was allowed to use the building besides the taxi drivers.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2007, 10:15:12 AM »

HEEEYY! That was my idea... I thought we should have the president of Iran (i'mjustanut) take off his shoes and soak in a pan of clorax and then in a pan of boiling hot water, but he better wash his own feet.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2007, 12:35:40 PM »

Hmmm...would like to see them try and stop me from soaking my tootsies in there....would consider getting bad case of athletes foot or worse just to stick them in there Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the