Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:37:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Well, speak of the Devil! (Know your enemy)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Well, speak of the Devil! (Know your enemy)  (Read 2092 times)
Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2003, 07:28:29 AM »

I thought we needed a thread like this...

Some questions/comments I have, regarding Satan:

In Luke 10:18, Jesus says, "I saw Satan fall like lightening from heaven". This is spoken directly after the seventy disciples return from their fruitful "mission trip". Now, I have always been told that this verse refers to an event that happened around the beginning of Time, when Satan wanders the earth and Men first rebel. But recently I read in my commentary that it means, rather, that Jesus speaks specifically about the miracles His discples were able to do, i.e. casting out demons, etc. That "falling from heaven like lightening" actually means that, while the 70 were evangelizing, Jesus beheld Satan being thrown from the throne of men's hearts.

The Greek word Jesus uses for "heaven" does not refer to a place of worship, or throne, though. The word literally means "heavens; skies".   Huh Now I'm confused, lol!

A comment: The root word for Seraphim means "fiery (or copper-colored); serpent". Isaiah says that he sees these "fiery serpents" when he enters the presence of the Lord, and is terrified because he is of unclean lips. The Seraphim had wings, as well. This makes me ask: if the Seraphim were (theoretically speaking) like "dragons" in appearance, was Satan's form in the garden of Eden so very different than the one he had before? I always wondered why he would take the shape of a snake. (By the way; the word used to describe the "snake" was different than many other instances of "snake" in the Bible. It means, basically, "serpent", and the word that preceeds it and is incredibly similar means "copper or brass." Are we talking copper-colored (fiery) serpent here? And then when God curses him, he is told that he must crawl on his belly in the dust. Someone suggested that snakes might have once had legs. Could he have had wings?  Huh Interesting stuff.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Jesussavedusall

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2003, 10:22:49 PM »

Evolution says no, but it sounds like you are talking about a dragon or something. A dragon, not unlike Trogdor!  Grin
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 10:23:38 PM by Jesussavedusall » Logged
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2003, 08:30:59 AM »

Evolution says no, but it sounds like you are talking about a dragon or something. A dragon, not unlike Trogdor!  Grin
Never heard of Trogdor, but I believe in dragons!  Grin Grin Grin

Jesussavedusall

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2003, 03:23:53 PM »

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail58.html

This is where I got that from Strong Bad email. It's so funny!
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2003, 02:58:25 AM »

Very interesting posting Wilowbirch.  It has given me much room for thought indeed.   Satan was once a very beautiful being.  But through reading your letter I have wondered iof the term 'snake' was actually a snake as we know them.  In Australia, people use the term 'snake' for a devious person.
I wonder......? Undecided

Love...Tamara
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2003, 07:36:02 AM »

Some of the "snakes" in our Bible just mean snake; others, especially when speaking of Satan or sea-monsters, refer to "serpents" instead. I think there are very subtle differences between the two. Just a thought.  Smiley

Also, an interesting thing (from Michiganian history):

Amerindian legends (as well as Egyptian) have a creature called Me-she-pe-shiw (spelled different ways; we get our "Mississppi" from it) who was often depicted as a cat or tiger, although many of the pictures of this monster include horns and tail-spikes, as well as scales and a tapering, toothy mouth unlike a feline's, and he is sometimes called a dragon, or serpent.
According to legend, Meshepishiw was driven from the heavens by the Mighty Warrior, and fell into the sea. He was angry that his evil had been exposed, and he sought to rule earth as its Creator. He now seeks to destroy the souls of the dead as they travel from earth to the abode of the dead.
Serpents are considered the servants of this dragon, and a Thunderbird supposedly chases them away once a year.
Even though he has fallen from heavenly grace, Amerinds account to him much power and knowledge.

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2003, 08:52:54 AM »

The description sounds something like one of our Australian reptiles with horns & tail spikes.  Yet he's a cute little fellow!
Australian Aboriginal legends speak of the serpent snake. Or the Rainbow Snake.  Quite amazing isn't it?  So many cultures hold the snake in their creation legends.  I forget the whole story of the aboriginal (Oz) legend.  Many aboriginals have been taught the Bible, but still hold fast to their legends.  Nothing in the world can change their minds about that snake!
To me theyare yukky things.  But, in Austrlaia they are a protected species.  We are not permitted to kill one. We must stand aside and let it go as people in the city (the 'greenies)
hold that everything has a right to live.

Love...Tamara.
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2003, 06:43:35 PM »

The description sounds something like one of our Australian reptiles with horns & tail spikes.  Yet he's a cute little fellow!
Australian Aboriginal legends speak of the serpent snake. Or the Rainbow Snake.  Quite amazing isn't it?  So many cultures hold the snake in their creation legends.  I forget the whole story of the aboriginal (Oz) legend.  Many aboriginals have been taught the Bible, but still hold fast to their legends.  Nothing in the world can change their minds about that snake!
To me theyare yukky things.  But, in Austrlaia they are a protected species.  We are not permitted to kill one. We must stand aside and let it go as people in the city (the 'greenies)
hold that everything has a right to live.

Love...Tamara.

In Pennsylvania USA, there is a $5,000 fine if you kill a rattlesnake. (If it kills you, well, you shoulda know'd better'n to wander aroun' in snake territory without yer high boots!)  Grin

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2003, 11:17:51 PM »

Yes. I can believe that.  I don't know who sets there laws & rules for mankind but it's easy to see we are not a protected species Willowbirch!
Getting to know your enemy is something we should all do. The snake is an enemy to man.  It won't hurt you if you dont hurt it, but is even a little child happens to tread on the tip of it's tail it will strike, and the little one is dead unless immediate action is taken with either, our knowledge, or the knowledge of those in the hospitals.  
On Australia, in the outback where Ilive, if a dog is bitten bu a snake, we have to immediately cut the tip is it's little ear off in order for the blood to flow out of it's little body.  This takes exactly 3 days, and 3 nights to eradicate.  Then the little dog (or big dog) is at the door waiting to be fed and watered.  But, they have to be kept in a shaded p[lace while recovery is taking place and just kept an eye on.
We have to know the snake in order to combat it's poison.  Likewise with mankind.  It's always better to be safe than sorry in this issue.  Mankind's poison is a slow death. They can kill in so many ways.  One of the most common is mental anguish or stress.  I know it well belonging to a family in which I am the walking human joke.  Yet, the first one they run to if they need someone.  Now, I run when I see them coming.  I don't want to run the risk of treading on those vipers tails!!!

Love....Tamara
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 07:18:06 AM »

Amen, Tamara! And thank you for your interesting story about snake-bite treatment, I have never heard of that!

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2003, 04:23:43 AM »

We learn from one another in more ways than one Willowbirch.
Talking of snakes. Guess what I caught in the snake net today?  Yep!  A four foot King Brown trying to get in my back door!  It was dead in the net..but!
Another good thing we do in the outback here is, if we have hurt ourselves and the bleeding is profuse, to stop the bleeding, we wind cobwebs around our finger & place it on the wound.  Stops the bleeding instantly!  Amazing what our Father has for us should we be harmed in anyway isn't it?

Love...Tamara
Willowbirch
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2003, 07:32:38 AM »

Yes, cobwebs are wonderful for that! They stop the blood even better than a bandage! (And, they're free!) Goldenrod is very good to cleanse the wound afterward, as are many herbs. God gave us amazing things. Wow!

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2003, 01:40:04 PM »

Yes, I find enormous useage of herbs and ancient treatments Willow.  It's an amazing earth.  It's such a pity medicine and the big Medical Companies have smothered the useage of herbs.  But, I reckon the big drug companies may be one of the enemies we should know about huh?

Love...Tamara
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the