Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 12:07:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A QUESTION ON TITHING
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A QUESTION ON TITHING  (Read 3591 times)
rapha777

Shalom

View Profile WWW
« on: November 10, 2003, 10:22:26 AM »

Dear Friends,

A couple of days ago, I received the following question about Tithing. The brother that asked me the question I know face to face!  Last time I answered a question on tithing and about the verses in Malachi I lost some friends ... shortly thereafter I received a curt reply saying they wanted to be struck off my E- Mail list. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated about the following inquiry.

Many thanks in advance and God bless,

Rapha

... a question in Malachi, are those verses on tithes specifically for Jews? When Malachi was written there were no Christians, immediately the Jews knew exactly what Malachi meant, that is robbing God of tithes and offerings. According to Deuteronomy 14 tithing was to be eaten at God' s designated place, like a holiday, every 3 years the tithe was to help the Levites, they copied the scriptures etc, tithes were for widows, orphans etc, the tithes eventually went to the high priest who offered up animal sacrifices---that' s what tithing really meant, this is very important, you are under a curse if you did not keep the offerings--they are burnt offerings, peace offerings, fellowship offerings-etc. They killed animals to make an atonement before God---therefore only Jews under the old law covenant can keep those verses in Malachi--all the rules and requirements of the law have been nailed to the cross, we are now free for Christ is our offering, under the new covenant we serve out of love through the work of the spirit of God. Therefore whatever we give must be from the heart freely, you could still give 10% or 50%--the question is are you doing it under grace or under law--that is out of love or out of fear, the Lord does not change but there are different covenants, God deals differently with us under grace and differently under the law. New testament giving is not grudgingly or force, but as you purpose or decide in your own heart to give 2.Corin.9 v.7, Abraham gave out of thankfullness, God bless, ... from S

... for I am the LORD that healeth thee. ( Exodus 15: 26 )
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2003, 11:08:16 AM »

So, what is wrong with 2 Cor 9;

7  Every man according as he purposeth in his heart,...not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver.

People always add to Gods word, what they think Gods word means.

The above verse says it all, why add to it;  it says nothing of 10% to 50%.

Notice what Paul says, in the preceding verse;

6  .................He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully.

Thats it,  The rest can be left up to the individual...

Blessings,
Petro

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 12:43:58 PM »

I agree completely with Petro and will offer some addotional thoughts.

1. Jesus called tithing law. (Mt 23:23) Pay tithes of mint, etc but ignore the weightier matters of the LAW. We are not under law but grace.

2. Abraham paid tithes before the law is another argument. However, it was a 1- time event and it was of the "spoils."

3. The concept of 10% for God and 90% for me should be abolished.

4. Concerning Malachi (the only Italian prophet pronounced Ma lach e), notice that both tithe(s) and offerings(s) are plural. There were several of them according to Jewish law, and since the LAW stands as a complete unit, it has to be followed en toto and not cherry picked to suit our doctrine.

5. There is no commandment or beseeching for the church to give 10%, but, of course, it can be used as a guide as the Lord directs.

6. Concerning "rebuking the devourer," that has already been done.

7. The windows of heaven have already been opened and the blessings poured out. (Romans 8:32) "Charge them that are rich in this world not to trust in uncertain riches, but the living God who RICHLY GIVES us ALL things to enjoy."

8. I think some use when the cash flow is low to scare people into giving. It is time we use the N.T. guidelines as Petro has stated.

aw
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 05:05:45 PM »

"NO MORE TITHING"

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=1023
« Last Edit: November 10, 2003, 05:11:09 PM by Ambassador4Christ » Logged

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 05:45:33 PM »

"NO MORE TITHING"

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen! We are co-laborers with Christ as well as heirs of God and joint heirs with Jesus and He owns it all- the silver, gold, sheep on a thousand hills, and the entire universe.
aw

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=1023
rapha777

Shalom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2003, 09:12:33 AM »

Many thanks for your replies. I noticed a few words earlier this year about the subject passage in Malachi 3 and that is in verse 6

" For I am the LORD, I change not; "

In context the passage reads:-

Mal 3: 6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

7 Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? 8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 9 Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes,...

I believe also that giving should be an extension of a Christian' s relationship with the Lord. In other words, the Christian should be giving according to his leading in the Spirit.

Every blessing,

Rapha.

P. S. Please also note Genesis 28 : 22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

... this happened along time before the law was given unto Moses!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 09:18:29 AM by rapha777 » Logged

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2003, 11:37:15 AM »

I agree as after all, its His to begin with- the gold is His and the silver and the creator of the heavens and the earth and all that dwelleth therein.

aw
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2003, 12:37:14 PM »

Mal 3: 6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

There are two houses that are being saved;

The House of Israel includes all those who are and come excersizing the same FAITH as that of Abraham which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Speaking of Abraham;

Rom 4
12  And the father of circumcision to them who are not of the circumcision only, but who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

And these are the ones who are justified THROUGH FAITH.

Rom 3
29  Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
30  Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith

ALL The gentiles are included in these, and this one House.

The Second House is that of Jacob, these are them of the circumcision, who are saved BY FAITH

Rom 3
Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.

Of these two the Apostle Paul, assures us God is making one new man (Eph 2:15), together for an habitation of God through the Spirit. (Eph 2:22)

The Jews, today, make the same mistake Christians do, as rapha has in reading Mal 3;  they the Jews say they are Israrel when clearly they are not is as much as the scripture is concerned.

The house of Israel are all those who come to faith in God, while in uncircumcision(Rom 4:12c), who also walk in the steps of that faith of our father Abraham, (Rom 4:12b)

The House of Jacob, are the physical seedline of Israel (Jacob), they will be saved BY FAITH (Rom 3:30)

The promises which were made to Abraham, were made while he was in uncircumcision, and when it was confirmed to him almost, 20 some odd years later was he given the sign of circumcision. (Rom 4:8-18)

Presently the House of Israel is being saved, and so is the House Jacob, however the day is coming when the remanent of the House of Jacob will be saved as a nation.

Rom 11, speaks of this, to some extent.

Here is the promise of the New Covenant;

Jer 31
31  Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32  Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

This is speaking of both Houses.

Note 32, this is not speaking of Abraham, Isaac or Israel (Jacob), this is peaking of their patriarchs at the begining of the exile from Egypt, that is the covenant which they received at Mt Sinai, where the Law was given to them.
430 years after the covenant was confirmed with Abraham, on the same Mount.

The jews are confused and still believe that that covenant given at Mt Horeb (Sinai), was the same one given confirmed with  Abraham.

Jaocb will be saved, in the day of Jacobs trouble, in the Day of the Lord.

Blessings,

Petro
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 12:43:41 PM by Petro » Logged

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2003, 12:51:11 PM »

Petro,
Does this explain the the differences between Abraham's offspring as the "sand on the beach" versus the "stars in the sky?"

aw
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2003, 09:21:45 PM »

Petro,
Does this explain the the differences between Abraham's offspring as the "sand on the beach" versus the "stars in the sky?"

aw

aw,

Actually what you reference is the spiritual (stars in the sky) seed and the physical seed (sand on the beach).

I am making the distinction between, the two houses of Israel, and both are represented by spirititual and physical seed.

Isarael, for instance, is a physical nation and a spiritual house made up of the circumcised and uncircumcised, who have the same faith of Abraham, which he had being yet uncircumcised.

Jacob, are the tribes of Israel the nation, and a spiritual house, all are the circumcised and observe the Law of Moses, even the strangers among them.

Both houses will be united into one, an known as Israel. (Rom11:26)

This is two spoken of in Eph 2:13-22.

Our righteousness is an imputed righteousness, just as Abrahams righteousness was imputed to him.(Rom 4:23-24)

Imputed is defined as :

To Count, or assign to the account of another (Psa 32:2, Rom 4:Cool

I keep sharing Rom 4, with everyone who will receive it, herein, over and over, showing that Abraham believed God always pointing to the fact that there are two aspects of of the word believe, which need to understood, before christians can understand that faith is a gift by God through His Grace.

Trusting Gods word is a form of believing without commitment.The natural man is able to produce this type of belief, he can also obey, but no matter how much he does either he is unable to save himself, because he is bondage to SIN.

Trusting Gods word, can become belief with commitment, and this is what is needed to obtain Saving Faith, and Saving Faith is focused on the object of The Blood of Jesus shed at the cross, for sin.

While the full blown belief, when placed on Gods Word, invites Gods Grace to produce saving Faith in the individual, it is not anything any man can produce nor the result of anything he does, nor concludes using logic or worldly wisdom nor understanding,

The righteouness that is imputed to our account, is Jesus righteousness, which we grasp by this faith.

Understanding this frees one from bondage to the Law of Sin and Death.

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: (Eph 2:8-9)

I posted all this in order to show that the jews today, believe the believeing in the Messiah, and keeping the Law of Moses (the Torah) is essential to eternal life, even self professed christians teach this,today,  

They believe and teach that it is faith in Jesus and obeying some kind of laws, which in the end will produce eternal life, and if one does not keep certain commandments he will not be saved,  they don't see salvation as being in the present state, and obedience to commandments as evidence confirming this fact in the individual.

Why??  Because they do not believe Gods word, pure and simple.

This is why they hold to faith and work, as evidence to their salvation.

They are all confused....keep praying Bro..

God Bless,
Petro
« Last Edit: November 11, 2003, 09:35:15 PM by Petro » Logged

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2003, 12:36:30 AM »

Got it and thanks,

aw
rapha777

Shalom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2003, 06:11:41 AM »

Also the laborer deserves to be paid! The laborers in this case are those who teach, preach and live by God' s word as examples of faith.

I have been full time with the Lord since 1988 and rely on gifts from God' s people. One month ... not too long ago I received a total of about $ 20.00 US in gifts!

Shalom,

Rapha.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2003, 11:57:48 AM »

Also the laborer deserves to be paid! The laborers in this case are those who teach, preach and live by God' s word as examples of faith.

I have been full time with the Lord since 1988 and rely on gifts from God' s people. One month ... not too long ago I received a total of about $ 20.00 US in gifts!

Shalom,

Rapha.

Rapha,

Praise the Lord, He has supplied all your needs for 25 years.

Tithing is between God and His people, He is the one that loosens the pursue strings.

Remember;

Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

God Bless,

Petro

rapha777

Shalom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 06:16:54 AM »

Petro, actually 15 not 25 years!

Many thanks for your reply. The latest encouragement I received from the Lord was: " I will help you!"

"...The Lord is my helper, ... " { Hebrews 13 : 6}

Man and woman can walk away when it gets tough but Praise the Lord He does not... He stays with you !

Every blessing,

Rapha.

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 06:25:06 AM »

... a question in Malachi, are those verses on tithes specifically for Jews?

The Answer is YES!

Only guys like Benny Hinn, Robert Tilton, 700 Club and you believe the people should support you.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the