Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286796 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 2861 times)
Angie

Normal people scare me!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 09, 2003, 01:37:53 PM »

Hey. I haven't been here in forever.

Anyways, at my last youth group metting we were discussion why we believe in God. It got very interesting hearing all the different responses. I'd like to hear yours.

So, why do you believe in God?

"I like peanut butter!" ~Me
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 11:33:38 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Angie,

First, welcome back, it's nice to see you back on Christians Unite.

For me, God's WORD represents the only reasonable and logical history of Creation and mankind. All of the TRUTH is in God's Word, and the appreciation of this TRUTH grows as your faith and fellowship with the Lord and Saviour grows. The FAITH in Jesus Christ becomes ROCK-SOLID as you grow and mature in HIS WORD. When Jesus becomes an ABSOLUTE REALITY, more of more of the TRUTH is revealed in HIS WORD.

God's Love is REAL and it is proved over and over again in the heart of each of HIS children. HE becomes more real than our own existence and it becomes clear that HIS HOLY WORD is the only TRUE and completely accurate account of all in infinity past and future. HIS children don't understand all of HIS WORD, but we will one day in GLORY as we spend eternal life with HIM.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 02:08:57 AM »

Hey. I haven't been here in forever.

Yes it has been quite some time, I had thought you had abandoned us, Welcome Back!

Anyways, at my last youth group metting we were discussion why we believe in God. It got very interesting hearing all the different responses. I'd like to hear yours.

That is simple, even though I was raised with a belive in a Creator yet in a cult, after getting out I was disillusioned,and belived that there was no GOD I prayed asking that He prove Himself to me.  He did then He led me in a study of His word to prove His love for his Creation, and His plan.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 08:54:18 AM »

SOunds good guys. One last reason: 95% of the world believes in a deity of some kind. And 2/3 of the 5% that don't are those "enlightened" 12 year olds you find on chatrooms all the time. I find it hard to believe a middle schooler who has never left the comfort of his home town is wiser then the Pope, the Dalai Lama, and PhDs the world over. That is why I believe in God.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
KiwiChristian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 02:55:42 PM »

hi Angie, what a great thread!!!  Cheesy
I've always believed in God - I was raised that way but I think there is a difference between believing in God and knowing God - does that make sense? I hope so.
I don't just believe in God but I also know God because he has helped me so much since I became a born again Christian.  he is always there for me.  The Psalms are right when they say that he is our rock, our salvation, our counsellor and our helper.  I just think He is awesome!!!
No other "faith" or "religion" could give me the peace I feel in my heart that God has given me.

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2003, 08:10:16 PM »

Another way to look at it would be, why *not* believe in God? Let's begin with the fact that we have creation. So that should indicate the presence of God. So if we ask people why they don't believe, not for proof they don't believe, the reasons they will give will fall into an emotional category, not a rational one. They will say there's too much suffering. Or that Christians are a bunch of hypocrites. While it's true that unseemly behavior from Christians has actually turned some people off, this shouldn't prevent them from seeing the exsistence of God in what He created. Christianity, btw, is the only religion that offers atonement for sin.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2003, 08:37:10 PM »

Hmmm.  Now that's interesting.  Why NOT believe in God.

Now that's turning the tables(AND deflecting a typical but very loaded and unfair question in the first place).

Yes, why NOT believe in God.

Because I'm selfish, that's why.  And everyone who doesn't believe in God is selfish.  And that's the answer.

But to answer the original question, I believe b/c it makes perfect sense.  But I need help believing.

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2003, 08:48:42 PM »

Because I can't not.  I've tried, at times, & I just can't manage it.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2003, 01:27:06 AM »

Why?  Because He is believable.  That is, because He is trustworthy, and what He says can be believed.  I believe in God because I believe God as He has revealed Himself to me.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
PhilKosba

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2003, 04:42:59 AM »

Why do I believe in God?

BECAUSE, God is

My Creator
My Redeemer
My Father
My Sustainer
My Provider
My Healer
My Bread
My Teacher
My Guide
My Counselor
My King
My Master
My Saviour, My LORD Jesus Christ, my Everything!
The One Who died for me in my stead to take my away sins and iniquities to take me home!

Why do YOU, Angie, believe in God (or, do you not believe in God)?

Cry from the Hell: "Why did I ignore Jesus?"
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2003, 05:17:45 PM »

Now that's turning the tables(AND deflecting a typical but very loaded and unfair question in the first place).

Because I'm selfish, that's why.  And everyone who doesn't believe in God is selfish.  And that's the answer.

But to answer the original question, I believe b/c it makes perfect sense.  But I need help believing.

Well, I think in this case reversing the question is helpful, because I think it gets more accurately to the heart of the real issue. We start with evidence of God's creation, so if there is a reason for someone not to believe in God, it would have to overturn this basic principle. Which can never be done. Once it is established that the argument is emotional rather than rational, the reasons not to believe in God rise to the surface where they can be addressed.

Blessings,
Whitehorse

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 10:42:18 PM »

Because I can't not.  I've tried, at times, & I just can't manage it.
Great answer.

Support your local Christian.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2003, 10:50:50 PM »

God only offers hope in this life for a better way through His Son. Man's way seperate from God appears hopeless. History of man has proven this.

That is one of my "why I believe God and in and of Him."
« Last Edit: November 15, 2003, 10:51:45 PM by ollie » Logged

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2003, 12:29:18 PM »

thanks, Ollie.

WH:  Well, I think in this case reversing the question is helpful, because I think it gets more accurately to the heart of the real issue. We start with evidence of God's creation, so if there is a reason for someone not to believe in God, it would have to overturn this basic principle. Which can never be done. Once it is established that the argument is emotional rather than rational, the reasons not to believe in God rise to the surface where they can be addressed.

Yes, starting with just what "is", instead of what "isn't"(hehe).
Which shows that their argument is "emotional".  Hmm, I hadn't thought of it that way.

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 07:46:07 PM »

Now this is hitting the nail on the head!

Selfish, indeed.  It seems logical to me that every one would want to be selfishly saved and receive eternal life.
 So in this respect it is probably selfish and a bit egotistical and plays on our self importance.

The only thing wrong with this theory is, "selfish" cannot be for any one believing in God as it is a quality of the adversary and not of the Spirit.
 You see if one believes in God, one must also believe in the opposing force, the adversary, the devil. Therfore selfish is out.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the