Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:59:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  For Men Only (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  can i be gothic and christian at the same time?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: can i be gothic and christian at the same time?  (Read 10961 times)
father ira

View Profile WWW
« on: April 16, 2007, 08:40:11 AM »

can i be Gothic and Christian at the same time?

I'm Gothic because i am depressed and that's the only way i know how to express myself. I am Christian because I love Jesus, I believe he's God and I believe I am his child.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 09:24:13 AM by father ira » Logged
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 09:59:16 AM »

Hi ira,

I still see that you are confused and don't really know who or what you are.

As Christians we have many things to be happy about. Gothic is about enjoying the dark things of life. Being Christian is about enjoying the light. The light of this world is Jesus. Jesus gives us a peace beyond understanding. We have all the reasons a person can have for not being depressed. Yes, even Christians will be depressed once in awhile as we tend to be weak and want to go with the things of this world. Through Christ we can be strong and overcome the depressions of this worldly flesh.

Psa 5:11  But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee.

Psa 35:9  And my soul shall be joyful in the LORD: it shall rejoice in his salvation.

Isa 61:10  I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh himself with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth herself with her jewels.

Psa 89:15  Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound: they shall walk, O LORD, in the light of thy countenance.
Psa 89:16  In thy name shall they rejoice all the day: and in thy righteousness shall they be exalted.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pizza_Mahal

First earth suck.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2007, 10:24:54 AM »

AHEM BRO!

Also are you save yet?

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2007, 11:25:43 AM »

I am Christian because I love Jesus, I believe he's God and I believe I am his child.
If this is the case then why are you depressed?

But let me take a moment and answer your questions as far as being a Goth and Christian.

Now I am sure that the phrase Goth has changed some since my days of youth (When Goth was started), but I do not think the underlying theme was too different.   Now one thing to recognize is that Goth is a social group.  People are Goths not because they are depressed, angry at the world or anything else.  They are Goths because they choose to be.  Depression or whatever is not a unique item to any social group.  There are depressed jocks, dweebs, geeks, and heads...so it just does not matter your mental or emotional state. 

What draws people to social groups?  Acceptance.  People join or merge with certain social groups in order to fit in, find support, friends.  So what does one have to do in order to be "accepted" by the Goth social group?  Where black, use make up to appear paler, unkept hair (washed but not brushed...no one said goths were not sanitary), probably body piercings and the lilke.  So in order to belong to that group one must choose to also conform to that groups standards in order to fit in better.  So more choices.

I have said all of that to bring home the point that social clubs or belonging to any certain group is a matter of choice.  Christ did not discriminate based on social groups or any other factor.  So the quick answer would be that Yes you can be both Goth as well a Christian.  This does come with some however's though.

You must always put Christ first however.  So if being a Goth is more important to you than being a Christian then you begin to have problems.  The Bible warns us to stay clear of temptations that would cause harm to our walk with Christ.  And if the Goth group you are hanging around with is involved in things that are not glorifying God, and can cause harm to your walk with God then I would recommend seriously considering the choices made.  The Bible tells us that we are to also be examples for others to see, that people should see Christ in us in our daily lives.  We are to be lights on top of the hill for all to see, and if something is to dim that light then we are to avoid it or remove that from our lives.  Knowing this we have to evaluate who our friends are and what we do in our lives. 

Now that being said what I am about to say is quite stereotypical.  But based on what I know of Goths and their outlook of things and habits (this coming from myself, who hung around this crowd as a young teen).  Most Goths and the groups are often into music that is does nothing to glorify God, and more often than not, speak negatively of God.  Most Goth groups are "anti-social" to all of society except their own social group, so being a shining light to the world is not a norm in these groups.  Goths may also (but in no means always) into psychotropic drugs, and even if a group is not into drugs the impression by the rest of the world is that they are, so the light again is dimmed.  Many Goths reject the norm or conventions, and rebel against their parents and authority, which is in direct conflict with "respect your parents". 

There is much much more that could be said that will ultimately take the short answer and turn it into a long answer.  But the thing to always remember is that you MUST keep Jesus as your focal point in life.  And no matter what you put your trust in Him and He will see you through it all.  And you may not like what is asked of you at certain times by God, but in the end you will find out that it was in your best interest and in God's best interest.  I grew up with many friends and in many different social groups, from the heads to the goths.  I have but two of them that I still "associate" with on any regular basis.  God has led me away from them, even when one of their mothers passed away, a woman I called mom, I visited but that was it.  I was among Wiccan, atheists, and just about anything else, but Christians.  It not hurts me to see people I called friends on the road to Hell.  But I was not about to abandon my walk with God or even put myself back into that temptation to enjoy their company again when invited. 

You keep Jesus in your life and keep your life trusting in Him and listen to Him when He talks to you and I have a feeling that you will find yourself moving further and further from Goth lifestyle.  I would strongly recommend that you get yourself involved in the activities in your church.  You will find much more supportive and caring friends there than you ever could in a secular social group.  And none that will love you more than fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. 

So in reality the answer to your question is that being a new creature in Christ you may belong a goth group, but if you truly turn your life over to Christ and let Him drive, then you will soon no longer be with that group but join in the fellowship of other brothers and sisters.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
father ira

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2007, 11:45:58 AM »

AHEM BRO!

Also are you save yet?

I know I am.

Now I am sure that the phrase Goth has changed some since my days of youth (When Goth was started), but I do not think the underlying theme was too different.   Now one thing to recognize is that Goth is a social group.  People are Goths not because they are depressed, angry at the world or anything else. 

One thing about being a goth is realizing your mortality and this is what i believe about being a goth. I don't hang out with social groups and I don't try to fit in.. I like being alone and there are times I don't want to be alone. Its just no one understands me. Not that I enjoy the dark sides of life, I also enjoy how foolish people are. Even me.

As for music, I Serve God through His music, win souls through Godly music, Exalt His majesty, proclaim His love, share God's music and impact the nations.

I've been hiding this and I don't think its obvious, I have a crush on darkness Cheesy. I don't know why. It just feels good when being alone in the dark..thinking things, expecting the unknown (if you know what I mean).

I didn't know why I said I was depressed. Maybe its just in my mind. Well thanks for answering folks. Its almost 12am in the morning here and I think i'm gonna stay up for a while. God bless

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 05:17:37 PM »

Hi father ira,

Coming from a similar background years ago....not goth, but heavy rock, I can relate to the being attracted to dark thing in a way.  I also recall a type of depression that had a certain self indulging enjoyment to it if you will (as odd as that sounds).   Not like the typical depression most people relate to.   At least I think this is what you are talking about.

I'm not sure I can provide you better answers than you've already received from PR and Brother Jerry though.   Those are great replies to your questions.   If you are feeding on the word of God (reading scripture daily) I am sure you will start viewing all this differently, even if it takes a while. 

It might sound like a real typical answer to hear that, but there really is something about that book.   When you bury yourself into its pages, your thoughts, your attitudes, lifestyle, EVERYTHING, begins to change.   Not that God wants to change you into some bible thumping person wearing white all the time...lol, but there is an inward change that happens in the mind and spirit, that transform believers into the likeness of Christ.

You said that you were saved.....Are you reading scripture daily, and do you attend some sort of fellowship with other believers?

Blessings

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
father ira

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 04:12:46 AM »

Hi father ira,

Coming from a similar background years ago....not goth, but heavy rock, I can relate to the being attracted to dark thing in a way.  I also recall a type of depression that had a certain self indulging enjoyment to it if you will (as odd as that sounds).   Not like the typical depression most people relate to.   At least I think this is what you are talking about.

I'm not sure I can provide you better answers than you've already received from PR and Brother Jerry though.   Those are great replies to your questions.   If you are feeding on the word of God (reading scripture daily) I am sure you will start viewing all this differently, even if it takes a while. 

It might sound like a real typical answer to hear that, but there really is something about that book.   When you bury yourself into its pages, your thoughts, your attitudes, lifestyle, EVERYTHING, begins to change.   Not that God wants to change you into some bible thumping person wearing white all the time...lol, but there is an inward change that happens in the mind and spirit, that transform believers into the likeness of Christ.

You said that you were saved.....Are you reading scripture daily, and do you attend some sort of fellowship with other believers?

Blessings

Thanks to this reply. To be honest, I don't read the scriptures daily. I used to read alot and have devotion alot but for some reason...my fire faded. My poem notebook kinda become my bible. If you want to know why, just pm me. I don't want to show  my inner self just yet.  And yes, I attend fellowship with other believers but i'm not happy being with them....and again pm me if you want to know. i need someone who i can open to.

~cheers
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 09:28:28 AM »

Hey Father ira.

I certainly am all ears if you want to talk about this more.  The PM feature on the board is not available.  The admins had to turn it off because there were some trouble makers using it to harass members, so I'm afraid we will have to speak here.  But we can do just that!   Smiley    I for one would love to hear more about you, and what you're going through.

You mention a few things in some of your posts, that shed some light on things I believe, but I want to ask a few questions in order to make sure I understand where you are spiritually.   I  hope you don't mind?   Smiley

If I may ask, how is it that you came to know the Lord?  If you could, just give brief background on that, and then we'll talk some more.

btw, I work fairly long hours between weds through friday, so I might be a bit slow in replying, so don't think I forgot about you or anything if I take long to respond.   

As the terminator would say..."I'll be back"   Cheesy 

Tim

Keltoi

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 06:28:57 PM »

It really depends on whether you are "Goth" in mindset or simply "image".   If you truly accept Jesus Christ as your Savior and sincerely attempt to live your life by His message, you will be fine.  Realizing your own mortality is an important part of being Christian, because we believe in eternal salvation.   

"Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 11:50:23 AM »

Ira, a plain and simple answer NO. Jesus told us what we ought to do and what we should stay away from.

You cannot serve two masters.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 08:40:29 AM »

Father Ira,

I'm still interested in talking with you about all this, anytime you like.

Blessings!

Tim

ravenloche

I am a messianic christian

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 01:06:27 AM »

Ira:

I am going to give you an answer that will no doubt raise some eyebrows!

yes! You can do anything you want and serve God, but: (there is always a
but) when you get serious with yourself about serving God you will find
that your "want to" will begin to change.

We serve God not because we have to, but rather because we want to!
No one told me to quit drinking, I just no longer had a desire, I had found
a new wine. I no longer spoke foul language, not because someone told
me it was wrong, rather like King David in the psalms God put a new song
in my mouth, even a song of praise unto him.

So many people try to convince others that they need to change because of
the result and payment due for sin(the wages of sin is death) but I would
rather point out the blessings of realizing the true nature of God.

God loves us totally, completely, and unconditionally. Not because it is something that he does, but rather it is because he is love itself.
The closer we draw to him the more we become like him; and the less we
think, and do the things we once did.

I thank God that he does not see me for what I was, nor does he see me
for what I now am, but rather he looks thru the rose colored glasses called
the blood of calvary and sees me for what I will be in him.

Grow in God, keep your eyes on him, and I promise you that as you change,
it will be what both of you want to happen.

I hope this helped you, and I will pray that Jesus show you the full truth of
Rom. 8:1, and Gal 5:1

respectfully yours in Jesus

ravenloche

if not you, who? if not now, when?
if not here, where? if it is to be it is up to me!
John 3:17 for he came not into the world to condemn the world, but that the world thru him might be saved! Rom 8:1 there is therefore no con-
demnation to those who are in
christ Jesus...
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 01:30:17 AM »

Ira:

I am going to give you an answer that will no doubt raise some eyebrows!

yes! You can do anything you want and serve God, but: (there is always a
but) when you get serious with yourself about serving God you will find
that your "want to" will begin to change.

We serve God not because we have to, but rather because we want to!
No one told me to quit drinking, I just no longer had a desire, I had found
a new wine. I no longer spoke foul language, not because someone told
me it was wrong, rather like King David in the psalms God put a new song
in my mouth, even a song of praise unto him.

So many people try to convince others that they need to change because of
the result and payment due for sin(the wages of sin is death) but I would
rather point out the blessings of realizing the true nature of God.

God loves us totally, completely, and unconditionally. Not because it is something that he does, but rather it is because he is love itself.
The closer we draw to him the more we become like him; and the less we
think, and do the things we once did.

I thank God that he does not see me for what I was, nor does he see me
for what I now am, but rather he looks thru the rose colored glasses called
the blood of calvary and sees me for what I will be in him.

Grow in God, keep your eyes on him, and I promise you that as you change,
it will be what both of you want to happen.

I hope this helped you, and I will pray that Jesus show you the full truth of
Rom. 8:1, and Gal 5:1

respectfully yours in Jesus

ravenloche

Father Ira, I hope you are still around to read the above post.  I think this is a very good answer.  We all grow in our spiritual lives....don't give up your faith in Christ.

In a couple of other posts here, people wanted to pm Ira and vice versa (apparently, there is no pm feature at this site anymore).    Feel free to use the pm feature at Cpals.net, if you need to talk to someone privately.  God bless and keep you.

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the