Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 02:46:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Favorite Bible Study Guides
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Bible Study Guides  (Read 3475 times)
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2007, 09:47:42 PM »

This seemed to be the best spot for sharing my list of Bibles and Bible Study Guides. I like having choices in researching Bible verses and history, so that I know what I am talking about if someone asks me a question.
1. King James Version Bible
2. The New International Version Bible
3. The Living Bible
4. The Revised Standard Version Bible
5. Life Application Study Bible
6. The New Oxford Annotated Bible
7. The Complete Bible Handbook  by John Bowker
I always compare the verses with the KJV, to be sure the meaning of the verse has not been changed or softened. The New Oxford Bible is the only one that I am not completely comfortable with as it contains books I am not familiar with, as well as, explanations of verses that I can't validate as being true.
However, many people use different Bibles and I feel the need to understand where they are coming from.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »

Hello Islandboy,

I'm not familiar with the New Oxford Bible either, but I am familiar with the other translations that you like to use and quite a few more that aren't on your list. There are many excellent translations of the Bible, and the real standard for comparison is the original Greek and Hebrew. Each of the translations have strengths and weaknesses, so it is good to make comparisons if you have several available. The same would be true for dictionaries, commentaries, ancient language helps, and other tools used to study the Bible.

There was a time when one had to be rich to have a good study library, but times have changed. Computers have made it possible for even lower income folks to have an outstanding study library at little or no cost at all. It wasn't long ago that small study libraries required thousands of dollars, but we can get the same thing free now if we have a computer. Several generations of pastors used to pass the same books around because of the extreme cost involved. I must add that they were treated very carefully and many times used over 100 years. What we put on a single DVD now would fill a large office not too many years ago. This many resources for average people is something to give thanks for.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 11:33 NASB  Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments and unfathomable His ways!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the