Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 08:32:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286797 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  About You! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hello, I am new here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hello, I am new here  (Read 179557 times)
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2007, 07:23:54 PM »

So far the alligators have stayed in the river. At nighttime if you shine a flashlight across the water, and see red eyes will reflecting back at you, that is an alligator. The males make a loud grunting noise during mating season, mostly heard at night. Yes, the little ones are interesting to watch. The lily pads are a wild plant, but get pretty yellow flowers on them.
The only thing I have run into out in the yard at night is the occasional raccoon or possum, or armadillos.

I didn't realize you had armadillos in FL.  Somehow thought only the South West had those.  I've never seen one.

I recently read a book of true stories about Crocodile attacks.  Of course, as you probably know, they are much more dangerous than alligators.  The stories were quite thrilling and alot of people were killed....some survivors miraculously escaped the crocs and told their stories.

One lady (naturalist) in Australia had a bad feeling but went out again in a canoe anyway.  It started to get stormy.  She was attacked in the canoe, and the croc kept doing underwater death rolls with her.  She managed to escape and climb a tree in the swamp.....he jumped up and grabbed her again doing more death rolls.  Finally, she managed to get behind a tree in the swamp to evade him.  Then she had to walk through the swamp at night to try to escape.   That evening a ranger happened to look to see if the canoe was back....when it wasn't he put out a search for her, and they found her.  She survived.  She always walked many miles each day, so I guess her physical fitness helped her in all of this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2007, 07:26:13 PM by Debp » Logged

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2007, 08:22:40 PM »

I like that alligator picture. looks like he has someone's false teeth. I have only seen crocodiles in wildlife parks and zoo attractions, but I have heard they are really nasty. Most of the stories I have heard about alligator attacks have been about dogs and children, with them either swimming or walking along a bank where a alligator was nearby. Although, every now and then one gets an adults arm when they have reached into the water for something.
As far as the armadillos go, they have spread over here from Texas, and have been sited as far north as North or South Carolina. They just dig for grubs in the yard. We also get moles that make tunnels just under the surface of the soil. Today coming home I saw two large pileated woodpeckers up in a palm tree. They are black with red heads.
Once in a long while we see manatee's in the river. The babies are really cute. They eat the water weeds mostly, but I have seen them strip the leaves off of Brazilian pepper trees.

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2007, 10:48:19 PM »

Grin    Grin

All I can say is please call the white coats if you ever catch me near Florida waters at night.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2007, 06:18:14 PM »

I like that alligator picture. looks like he has someone's false teeth. I have only seen crocodiles in wildlife parks and zoo attractions, but I have heard they are really nasty. Most of the stories I have heard about alligator attacks have been about dogs and children, with them either swimming or walking along a bank where a alligator was nearby. Although, every now and then one gets an adults arm when they have reached into the water for something.
As far as the armadillos go, they have spread over here from Texas, and have been sited as far north as North or South Carolina. They just dig for grubs in the yard. We also get moles that make tunnels just under the surface of the soil. Today coming home I saw two large pileated woodpeckers up in a palm tree. They are black with red heads.
Once in a long while we see manatee's in the river. The babies are really cute. They eat the water weeds mostly, but I have seen them strip the leaves off of Brazilian pepper trees.

Wow, that's great you see Manatees.  I understand they are very gentle.

Love dreamweaver's dizzy penguin in the strait jacket! lol

...walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace. Eph. 4:1-3
islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2007, 08:08:58 PM »

I have heard that too, of course I have only seen them swimming and watching the formation of bubbles coming up from under water and watching them swim very fast to a new spot and then seeing the bubbles there. One day down by our dock a manatee cow stuck her head out of the water and it looked like a regular cows nose only solid gray in color. It was so neat to see it and I stood frozen in one place so she would be at ease and stay longer. It was there about five minutes then she sank down in the water and swam away.  Cool

Be not weary in your serving; Do your best for those in need; Kindness will be rewarded by the Lord who prompts the deed.
Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2007, 06:22:43 PM »

I have heard that too, of course I have only seen them swimming and watching the formation of bubbles coming up from under water and watching them swim very fast to a new spot and then seeing the bubbles there. One day down by our dock a manatee cow stuck her head out of the water and it looked like a regular cows nose only solid gray in color. It was so neat to see it and I stood frozen in one place so she would be at ease and stay longer. It was there about five minutes then she sank down in the water and swam away.  Cool

Sounds wonderful to see.  I love all wildlife.   Once in a while when I am able to get to the zoo, it is so relaxing to watch the animals.  Also there are alot of trees and flowers there (it's a botanical garden, too), and the wind sounds so nice blowing through the trees.  I guess I notice this more since I live in the heart of the city.

I just had a funny thought, you probably have the most replies under your welcome post.  People probably think....wow, is Islandboy popular....look at all the replies welcoming him!  Smiley

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »

I have always lived in the country, but watching wildlife is still a worthwhile hobby. What is it like living in a big city in California? For that matter, I have never been out there but have always thought it would be neat to see the surfers on those big waves.
I do have quite a few reply posts, don't I. Well, maybe we have shared some interesting nature facts that everyone will enjoy.
 Wink Roll Eyes

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2007, 12:28:59 AM »

I have always lived in the country, but watching wildlife is still a worthwhile hobby. What is it like living in a big city in California? For that matter, I have never been out there but have always thought it would be neat to see the surfers on those big waves.
I do have quite a few reply posts, don't I. Well, maybe we have shared some interesting nature facts that everyone will enjoy.
 Wink Roll Eyes

Well, Los Angeles is very multi-cultural with people from all over the world, lots of sightseeing and activities (many of them free), good public transportation (including a great subway with large colorful art in each station and some light rail trains, too).

Each area of the city can be different.  We have super rich areas, medium rich and, of course, poorer areas.  Since L.A. was founded by the Spanish in 1781, we have alot of Spanish architecture/influence.   Olvera Street where L.A. began is very interesting....Mexican shops and Mexican cafes in original quaint buildings.  Lots of colorful Mexican handicrafts.  I can get there in 8 minutes on the subway and Olvera Street feels like a mini-vacation.  Lots of tourists there.  We also have a good-sized Chinatown and a smaller Little Tokyo with good Asian food.

Our downtown area is getting nicer and nicer....many fountains, sculptures and mini-parks.  But since people are more interested in living in downtown, the condos and apartments are getting more and more expensive.  Homes and rents are very expensive all over L.A.  So many condos, etc, being built....it is unbelievable.  They are even going to create a 17 acre park in downtown.  Lord willing, I'll look forward to seeing that.

Our Wilshire Blvd runs 16 miles from downtown to the ocean in Santa Monica.  There is a scenic park (bluff) overlooking the ocean and also Santa Monica pier which has a small amusement park, cafes and some artists on it.  There is also an old carousel on the pier.....a bargain at 50 cents a ride.  Smiley  The bus runs out to the pier, takes about an hour but it's a nice route for tourists along Wilshire Blvd....you pass the art and car musuems, La Brea Tar Pits and park, Beverly Hills, etc.

I'm near a subway station, church, library, markets, banks and restaurants....so it is easy for me to get around.  But sometimes my feet get a little tired.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 12:33:56 AM by Debp » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2007, 01:52:39 AM »

Hello Debp,

It sounds really nice and pretty. I've heard about home cost, rent, and living expenses in California, Florida, and other more expensive places in the country. I really don't know how some folks make it. My son was stationed at San Diego while he was in the Navy. He did have a small apartment, but it took 3 other sailors all going in together to afford it. We did visit there once, and it was beautiful. My son is out of the Navy now and has a really good job in Florida. We've also visited there once. All I can say is that my wife and I can't afford to live in either place. They were gorgeous places to visit, but WOW! were they expensive. We have what I would call a lower, middle income for Oklahoma. My wife and I are both happy in Oklahoma, and that's a good thing because that's all we can afford. My wife will retire soon, so we will have to cut some more expenses. Things will be close, but we almost have some things paid off. In short, I don't understand how some of the younger folks make it in even the less expensive areas to live. I'm not talking about fancy living, just the necessities or a tiny bit more. For young couples raising children who have average jobs, I have no idea how they make it with today's prices even here in Oklahoma.

This brings up some news I heard recently. I understand that food prices are going to skyrocket this summer, and many of the items are needed by young families (i.e. milk). So, it appears that times are going to get even harder.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2007, 03:36:23 PM »

Thanks for sharing, that sounds really beautiful and like an interesting place to live. You are lucky to live close to what you need, meaning transportation and shops, and etc...
I live outside the city, in the country. We are lucky enough to own our small house and being Florida residents have homestead exemption on our house, money off taxes. But everywhere food is getting more expensive and insurance is out of sight. But your right, things are getting worse. I have been reading about the North American Union, and all that it entails combined with this immigration bill, and it is heartbreaking what our government is doing to its own people. I have put links to the info on my website.
As for living in Oklahoma, aren't you concerned about tornadoes? Thats right up there with hurricanes. Do you have a good storm cellar? In Florida, we can't have cellars, to close to the water table. So we have shutters on all our windows and everything is tied down and we do allot of praying.

Debp
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2007, 07:59:18 PM »

Hello Debp,

It sounds really nice and pretty. I've heard about home cost, rent, and living expenses in California, Florida, and other more expensive places in the country. I really don't know how some folks make it. My son was stationed at San Diego while he was in the Navy. He did have a small apartment, but it took 3 other sailors all going in together to afford it. We did visit there once, and it was beautiful. My son is out of the Navy now and has a really good job in Florida. We've also visited there once. All I can say is that my wife and I can't afford to live in either place. They were gorgeous places to visit, but WOW! were they expensive. We have what I would call a lower, middle income for Oklahoma. My wife and I are both happy in Oklahoma, and that's a good thing because that's all we can afford. My wife will retire soon, so we will have to cut some more expenses. Things will be close, but we almost have some things paid off. In short, I don't understand how some of the younger folks make it in even the less expensive areas to live. I'm not talking about fancy living, just the necessities or a tiny bit more. For young couples raising children who have average jobs, I have no idea how they make it with today's prices even here in Oklahoma.

This brings up some news I heard recently. I understand that food prices are going to skyrocket this summer, and many of the items are needed by young families (i.e. milk). So, it appears that times are going to get even harder.

I've been in this apartment for many, many years because I could never afford to move, as other rents are more expensive.  In L.A. we have "rent control"....they can only raise the rent a certain percentage each year.  But now they are adding in extra percents if the landlord pays gas and/or electric.  (We pay our own electric.)  So this year we got a 6% increase....it was $46 extra each month!  That's alot to mom and me.  But we are grateful we are able to pay it....and go day by day.  If we ever get forced out of this building (some buildings are converting to condos), then we'll have to see what to do then.

In case anyone is interested (I am from Pittsburgh, PA), the homes there seem quite reasonable.  It's a nice city if you don't need to work.  I have lovely memories of growing up there, but unless I'm really led, I can't see moving back there.  It's hard for me to think of making a major move after doing it once before (Pittsburgh to L.A.).

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2007, 08:34:41 PM »

There are allot of nice homes for sale in Pennsylvania, but the reason everyone wants to sell their homes is because jobs are few and far between. And the heating oil and gas prices have gone through the roof. My mothers gas (heating) bill was $300, a month during the winter in 2005. This past winter she was paying $900 a month. It is a hard choice to make in moving up there. We would have to readjust to the cold weather and driving on icy roads.
The homes here in Florida, are to the point that people can't afford to move or can't sell their houses. Prices for used trailers are really high as well. I don't see things getting better, although, I don't have a clue on how to fix the problem. We can vote people out of office, but how are we to really know the next one will do any better.
 Undecided

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2007, 01:04:48 AM »

I knew that someone would ask about Oklahoma tornadoes. YES, we have them all the time, and we've even had several close to us recently. My folks had a storm shelter while we were growing up, but none of us have had one since then. We just pray and try to get in the center of the house away from windows. On the really bad nights, we get in the bathtub and try to pull some kind of padding over us.   Cheesy

I think that many things are what you get used to. I would much rather be around tornadoes than hurricanes or earthquakes. I've worked almost in them many times. I conclude that cars and many other things are much more dangerous. We just try to pay attention, take reasonable precautions, and pray.

islandboy
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2007, 01:45:14 PM »

I have only seen pictures of tornadoes in your State, on the news. When I still lived up north three tornadoes came together and cut a two mile wide path across forest land and parts of the town my mother lives in. Then just a few years ago one came through PA, and knocked down the famous Kinzua Railroad Bridge. I heard it cut a two mile swath as well.
I don't care for hurricanes at all, but one advantage is you know it's coming and you have time to get out and leave or get ready to ride it out. So far we have had only a few trees down with no property damage. But like you say be prepared with food & water, and keep praying.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2007, 07:31:26 PM »

I've noticed a change in weather patterns over about the last 10 years, and it appears to have something to do with the jet-stream. Tornadoes aren't limited to just this part of the country anymore. In fact, some of the worst ones are likely to pop up just about anywhere. This really is another possible sign of the end of this age when you look at all kinds of natural disasters around the world.

I told you that I didn't like earthquakes, but we live almost on top of a major fault-line. It's been inactive for a long time, but that's like a lot of other things that are ticking away like a time-bomb. Volcanoes are another example. I simply know that GOD is in charge. We try to use some common sense, so we don't sit on railroad tracks or other like examples. The times foretold in the Bible will most certainly come, but Christians have OTHER things to look forward to.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Isaiah 2:1-5 NASB  The word which Isaiah the son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem. Now it will come about that In the last days The mountain of the house of the LORD Will be established as the chief of the mountains, And will be raised above the hills; And all the nations will stream to it. And many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, To the house of the God of Jacob; That He may teach us concerning His ways And that we may walk in His paths." For the law will go forth from Zion And the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And He will judge between the nations, And will render decisions for many peoples; And they will hammer their swords into plowshares and their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, And never again will they learn war. Come, house of Jacob, and let us walk in the light of the LORD.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 42 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the