Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:47:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  are there really saints???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: are there really saints???  (Read 2188 times)
peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2003, 05:23:15 PM »

when we refer to someone as a saint, we usually mean that they're a lifesaver, or a great person, or a volunteer junkie, etc.  But my spanish class got onto the topic of Catholic saints the other day.  Apparently, to become a sait, you ahve to be able to levitate, transform into an animal, and be able to heal the sick.  And when I found out that they were canonizing Mother Theresa, it made me begin to wonder on if there were really people who could levitate, etc.  Is there any real proff from the Bible that says God will give certain people abilities for the benifit of mankind, or even have the Virgin Mary appear to an individual with these abilities?  

Do not be decieved,Wormwood.Our cause is never more in danger than when a human,no longer desiring,but still intending to do God's will,looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished,and asks why he has been forsaken,and still obeys.-CS Lewis,Screwtape
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2003, 02:24:41 AM »

Oh joy a bunch of cathlic mysticism.  Anyone who is saved is a saint.  The misconception of the term saint comes from the silly teachings of the cathlolic church.

I was just watching a little bit while changing channels on the south americans and some silly things they do.  They run around beating themselves and torturing themselves as a "penance to God".  Some go as fas as to immitate the crucifixtion of Christ.  How silly of man to think he can try and torture himself to get into God's good graces.

aw

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2003, 10:40:10 AM »

I agree 100%. We are called saints and is a synonym for HOLY because we are "set aaprt unto God."
aw
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2003, 08:03:43 PM »

All that are called by the gospel of Jesus Christ, and obey it are sanctified through His blood and made holy, are saints.

Romans 1:7.  To all that be in Rome, beloved of God, called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.

1 Corinthians 1:2.  Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

1 Thessalonians 4:7.  For God hath not called us unto uncleanness, but unto holiness.

1 Thessalonians 5:14.  Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men.
 15.  See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men.
 16.  Rejoice evermore.
 17.  Pray without ceasing.
 18.  In everything give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
 19.  Quench not the Spirit.
 20.  Despise not prophesyings.
 21.  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.
 22.  Abstain from all appearance of evil.
 23.  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
 24.  Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

2 Thessalonians 1:7.  And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,
 8.  In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:
 9.  Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
 10.  When he shall come to be glorified in his saints, and to be admired in all them that believe (because our testimony among you was believed) in that day.
 11.  Wherefore also we pray always for you, that our God would count you worthy of this calling, and fulfil all the good pleasure of his goodness, and the work of faith with power:
 12.  That the name of our Lord Jesus Christ may be glorified in you, and ye in him, according to the grace of our God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 2:13.  But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:
 14.  Whereunto he called you by our gospel, to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

15.  Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

2 Timothy 1:9.  Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,
 10.  But is now made manifest by the appearing of our Saviour Jesus Christ, who hath abolished death, and hath brought life and immortality to light through the gospel:

1 Peter 1:13.  Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
 14.  As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
 15.  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
 16.  Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

1 Peter 2:9.  But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

jude 1:1.  Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

Those in Christ and such as should be saved are saints.
That is, all true Christians.

The church at Rome teaches falsely about saints. They do not adhere to scripture concerning this and in fact contradict scripture with their own thoughts.

Support your local Christian.
ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2003, 03:47:08 AM »

when we refer to someone as a saint, we usually mean that they're a lifesaver, or a great person, or a volunteer junkie, etc.  But my spanish class got onto the topic of Catholic saints the other day.  Apparently, to become a sait, you ahve to be able to levitate, transform into an animal, and be able to heal the sick.  And when I found out that they were canonizing Mother Theresa, it made me begin to wonder on if there were really people who could levitate, etc.  Is there any real proff from the Bible that says God will give certain people abilities for the benifit of mankind, or even have the Virgin Mary appear to an individual with these abilities?  
Whoever gave you this "Catholic" definition doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

The RCC does have a set of criteria for deciding to canonise someone, but it does not require the sort of things you're talking about.  It does (I think) require them to have performed some sort of miracle.

These are not, anyway, the criteria for being a saint.  They are the criteria the church uses to say "we can see that this person was so clearly and obviously holy that we know he or she was a saint".   The church accepts that the vast majority of saints will never be recognised in this world.  Canonization is the process of recognising [some of] those who can be.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2003, 04:28:57 AM »

Oh joy a bunch of cathlic mysticism.  Anyone who is saved is a saint.  The misconception of the term saint comes from the silly teachings of the cathlolic church.

I was just watching a little bit while changing channels on the south americans and some silly things they do.  They run around beating themselves and torturing themselves as a "penance to God".  Some go as fas as to immitate the crucifixtion of Christ.  How silly of man to think he can try and torture himself to get into God's good graces.

Right On! Brother

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
avemaria

+JMJ+

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2003, 08:58:33 PM »

The word "canon" comes from the Greek word kanon meaning a standard or measuring rod.

The custom of canonization began in the early church by popular acclamation. Hence the custom of calling all the apostles "Saint."

The Roman Catholic Church since the 10th century has officially applied the standard of holiness of life to certain individuals who lived exemplary Christian lives and through a lengthy process of prayer and study have declared that the individual is in heaven.

Contrary to the belief of some, the Church does not "create" saints, but simply applies the standard of gospel holiness to those God permits the Church to know are in heaven with Him. One principle way for God to affirm the presence of an individual in heaven with Him is through the performance of miracles through the intercession of that person.

Ave Maria, gratia plena, Dominus tecum. Benedicta tu in mulieribus, et benedictus fructus ventris tui, Iesus. Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis peccatoribus, nunc, et in hora mortis nostrae. Amen
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2003, 10:29:50 PM »

Oh boy... Be gentle, guys. Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2003, 01:02:24 AM »

On another forum, someone posted a lengthy list of padre pios accomplishments.

As I recal one of the claims made which qualified him, for catholic sainthood, was;

His own claims made by himself to have shed his own blood for hundreds of peoples and the remission of their sins.

Yet as I understood from the article, padre pio, died of old age .

It still to this day somehow, does not sound right to me..

Petro

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2003, 02:47:17 AM »

The word "canon" comes from the Greek word kanon meaning a standard or measuring rod.

I know of only one biblical Measuring Rod...and we all "fall short" of That.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2003, 06:00:42 AM »

Quote from: Saved_4ever on October 08, 2003, 02:24:41 AM

I was just watching a little bit while changing channels on the south americans and some silly things they do.  They run around beating themselves and torturing themselves as a "penance to God".  Some go as far as to immitate the crucifixtion of Christ.  How silly of man to think he can try and torture himself to get into God's good graces.

Once Again, RIGHT ON!!!!!

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2003, 11:13:58 AM »

I'm going to let Ave clean his/her own mess up, but I'm going to correct Brother Love here. This beating he was referring to is a heresy in the Catholic Church. A Heresy founded in Protestantism, I might add.

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2003, 12:43:28 PM »

Saints or Holy Ones- set apart (Rom 1:7, 1 Sam 2:9)  

All true Christians are saints in the Biblical sense of the word (Eph 1:12-14, 1 Pet 2:5-9.

Not perfect nor called saints because of anything they do but, because they have accepted Jesus as Lord and Savior (Phil1:1, 4:21)

Leave it to man and his devisive ways to define they who are sanctified  by God, for service to Him.

This is why, the religious institutions have competing stables of saints, to be prayed to, and sought out in times of need
of need.

One must belong to the institution which has the saint which is associated to one of its faithfull, leave the chuch lose your saint.

It is just all nonsense..

Petro

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2003, 04:23:08 PM »

Ok, I geuss I will join in. Cheesy

Why are you always so hung up on titles? Don’t focus to much on the definition of the word. “Saint” is just a silly title. We are all saints, just like we all the priesthood of believers. So what if we use the title of “Saint” for special Christians. It is just a name, what’s in a name? It doesn’t make you any less of a saint? No, it doesn't. Just because Paul is a Saint doesn't mean you are not one. You just don't have an offical title. Is that all you want? Because if so, I can mail you a peice of paperfrom' Print Shop" to hang on your wall Grin Wink

Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2003, 06:30:39 PM »

Ok, I geuss I will join in. Cheesy

Why are you always so hung up on titles? Don’t focus to much on the definition of the word. “Saint” is just a silly title.

Is thios yopur definition of a saint??

We are all saints, just like we all the priesthood of believers.

That is what you say...

So what if we use the title of “Saint” for special Christians.

Special christians??...............I never heard of such a thing??

It is just a name, what’s in a name?

God loves names, and a name says it all.  

Isa 56
4  For thus saith the LORD .............
5  Even unto them will I give in mine house and within my walls a place and a name better than of sons and of daughters: I will give them an everlasting name, that shall not be cut off.

God renamed every one of the men He called in the OT.

It doesn’t make you any less of a saint? No, it doesn't. Just because Paul is a Saint doesn't mean you are not one. You just don't have an offical title. Is that all you want? Because if so, I can mail you a peice of paperfrom' Print Shop" to hang on your wall Grin Wink

Would you pray to me if you gave me this official title??

You are not only silly, you are dangerous...you know just enough about scripture to lead people away from God, with your thoughts and ideas..instead to HIM

Petro
« Last Edit: December 18, 2003, 09:22:11 PM by Petro » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the