Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 02:07:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286839 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  'Law & Order' president? Fred Thompson may run
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Law & Order' president? Fred Thompson may run  (Read 914 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: March 11, 2007, 05:02:19 PM »

'Law & Order' president? Fred Thompson may run
TV star is pro-life, opposes gun control, supports troop surge, pardon for Libby

Is America ready for a "Law & Order" president?

Actor Fred Thompson, star of the NBC crime drama, thinks so, and is seriously considering a run for the White House.

"I'm giving some thought to it. Going to leave the door open," Thompson, a former U.S. senator from Tennessee said on "Fox News Sunday." "A lot of people think it's late already. I don't really think it is, although the rules of the game have changed somewhat. ... I think people are somewhat disillusioned. I think a lot of people are cynical out there. I think they're looking for something different.

The 64-year-old Republican who has starred in movies such as "The Hunt for Red October," "Cape Fear," and "In the Line of Fire," said he was thinking about a bid after former Senate Majority Leader Howard Baker and other Republicans touted his possible GOP candidacy, trumpeting his conservative positions.

Regarding the issues, Thompson says he:

# Opposes gun control. "You check my record. You'll find I'm pretty consistent on that issue."

# Opposes same-sex marriage, but would let states decide on civil unions. "Marriage is between a man and a woman, and judges shouldn't be allowed to change that."

# Opposes abortion. "I think Roe vs. Wade was bad law and bad medical science. And the way to address that is through good judges. I don't think the court ought to wake up one day and make new social policy for the country. It's contrary to what it's been the past 200 years."

# Supports President Bush's troop surge in Iraq. "Wars are full of mistakes. You rectify things. I think we're doing that now."

# Supports an immediate pardon for former White House Aide Lewis "Scooter" Libby. "This is a trial that never would have been brought in any other part of the world. This is a miscarriage of justice. One man and his wife and 14-year-old and 10-year-old children are bearing the brunt of a political maelstrom here that produced something that never should have come about."

Regarding illegal immigration, Thompson said:

We woke up one day after years of neglect and apparently discovered that we have somewhere between 12 million and 20 million illegal aliens in this country. So it became an impossible situation to deal with. I mean, there's really no good solution. So what do you do? You have to start over. Well, I'm concerned about the next 12 million or 20 million. So that's why enforcement, and enforcement at the border, has to be primary.

I think most people feel disillusioned after 1986 when we had this deal offered to them before, and now we're insisting that, you know, we solve the security problem first, and then we'll talk about what to do with regard to other things — certainly no amnesty or nothing blanket like that.

But figure out some way to make some differentiation between the kind of people that we have here.

You know, if you have the right kind of policies, and you're not encouraging people to come here and encouraging them to stay once they're here, they'll go back, many of them, of their own volition, instead of having to, you know, load up moving vans and rounding people up. That's not going to happen.

Thompson was elected to the Senate in 1994 to fill the unexpired term of Vice President Al Gore. He was chairman of the Senate Governmental Affairs Committee and left Capitol Hill in 2003 to return to acting.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 05:26:43 PM »

His actual voting record:

*  Voted YES on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
* Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
* Voted YES on banning human cloning. (Feb 1998)

# Voted NO on adding sexual orientation to definition of hate crimes. (Jun 2002)
# Voted NO on loosening restrictions on cell phone wiretapping. (Oct 2001)
# Voted NO on expanding hate crimes to include sexual orientation. (Jun 2000)
# Voted NO on setting aside 10% of highway funds for minorities & women. (Mar 1998)
# Voted NO on ending special funding for minority & women-owned business. (Oct 1997)
# Voted YES on prohibiting same-sex marriage. (Sep 1996)
# Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination by sexual orientation. (Sep 1996)
# Voted YES on Amendment to prohibit flag burning. (Dec 1995)

*  Voted YES on increasing penalties for drug offenses. (Nov 1999)
* Voted YES on spending international development funds on drug control. (Jul 1996)

*  Voted NO on funding smaller classes instead of private tutors. (May 2001)
* Voted NO on funding student testing instead of private tutors. (May 2001)
* Voted NO on spending $448B of tax cut on education & debt reduction. (Apr 2001)
* Voted YES on Educational Savings Accounts. (Mar 2000)
* Voted YES on allowing more flexibility in federal school rules. (Mar 1999)
* Voted YES on education savings accounts. (Jun 1998)
* Voted YES on school vouchers in DC. (Sep 1997)
* Voted YES on $75M for abstinence education. (Jul 1996)

* Condemns anti-Muslim bigotry in name of anti-terrorism. (Oct 2001)

Religious affiliation: Protestant.

For more on his voting record:

http://www.ontheissues.org/Senate/Fred_Thompson.htm

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 07:07:35 PM »

Hello Brother Roger,

Thanks for posting this. I'm really very happy to hear about this. Frankly, I'm not very excited about the other candidates. I don't need 100% agreement on all of the issues, but agreement on the most important issues is almost a must.

I like Fred Thompson and will take a serious look at him. I remember when he left politics and started his acting career on Law and Order. He would be a very experienced candidate and already has a lot of respect. Most of the other candidates in both parties are carrying some pretty serious baggage. I'm not aware of any serious baggage that Fred Thompson is dragging behind him.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 07:51:39 PM »

So far he does appear to be the best candidate there is.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2007, 09:37:49 AM »

So far he does appear to be the best candidate there is.

AMEN to that.

Christians have to take very seriously what goes on in our country. We have to take a stand for our beliefs no more just being quiet 
WE HAVE TO GET INVOLVED
We as Christian American Citizens also have rights and ways of defending our faith. When I asked my pastor how do we go about doing these things and that we can get involved is through an organization called Liberty Counsel. I am not posting the link because it is a non profit organization and it does ask for donations. The following is a segment of one of the policies Liberty Counsel stands for.

Liberty Counsel is a nonprofit litigation, education and policy organization dedicated to advancing religious freedom, the sanctity of human life and the traditional family. Established in 1989, Liberty Counsel is a national organization with offices in Florida and Virginia, and hundreds of affiliate attorneys in all 50 states.

March 2, 2007

Twelve Students Receive 10-Day Suspension
for Praying Before School

Today twelve high school students at Heritage High School in Vancouver, Washington were suspended for ten days for gathering to pray before school!

Liberty Counsel is providing legal assistance to the students who were suspended. Most of the students are immigrants from Russia. It is sad that they were stopped from praying here in the land of the free.

Christians too have ways of fighting back and not just sitting waiting for things to just happen

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:59:24 AM »

There are a number of such organizations as Liberty Council. They are all fighting for our liberties as Christians. The American Center for Law and Justice (ACLJ), the Alliance Defense Fund (ADF), and the Thomas More Law Center are just a few of these that are fighting against such groups as the ACLU and in support of Christians freedoms and the Constitution.

Yes this is an excellent way for Christians to fight back. If we cannot have the freedoms necessary to speak out the truth of our Lord then we cannot spread the Gospel to help save the lost.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:17:07 AM »

Amen Brother and a lot of Christians are unaware of such organizations that help fight for Christian and moral values. Even I didn't know of some of those you posted, but I do have others that I am going to be posting on with links that do not violate our rules.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 11:05:55 AM »

Hello Sister Maria,

I'm going to guess that some of those organizations you mentioned wouldn't violate our rules at all, as they are already heavily involved with Christians Unite. If you take a look in our Christian News area, you will see quite a few pretty quickly. Two immediate examples I can think of without looking are the American Family Association and Agape Press. If they are already part of Christians Unite's distribution network, there shouldn't be any problem at all in mentioning them on the forum with links. They would be considered to be brother and sister type organizations that have already joined together for common goals. There has been a close relationship with many of them for years.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Ephesians 4:4-6 NASB  There is one body and one Spirit, just as also you were called in one hope of your calling; one Lord, one faith, one baptism, one God and Father of all who is over all and through all and in all.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »

Thanks for all of the info.  We must aggressively fight for our rights as Christians.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 01:41:59 AM »

Good Info..

He would have my vote...anyone that can keep McCoy in line gets my vote any day of the week Wink

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the