Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:01:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Dying friend and the gospel
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dying friend and the gospel  (Read 3220 times)
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« on: October 03, 2003, 08:01:24 PM »

Tonight I talked to a friend who is dying of cancer. She's chosen not to reveive treatment. I spoke with her about the gospel and she's afraid of the afterworld, but she doesn't feel the Holy Spirit's prompting. Of course, she didn't really know the gospel before, despite having gone to church for many years, so she hasn't had a chance to seek Him yet. I'm worried about what she will do in the final analysis-she's mad at me for telling her that there is a judgment because it frightened her. As gentle as the rest of the message was, she had to know it. But she got off the phone fast and promised to think about it. If anyone who feels led could please pray that she is saved, that satan will not be permitted to hinder her, and that God would give her peace, she'd have an eternity to thank you. I thank you, too, and wish you many blessings.

Bronzesnake
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2003, 02:39:11 AM »

I am so sorry to hear about your friend Whitehorse.
As you may know I recently lost my brother to cancer. He was 45 and had four young girls. Jim faught his cancer by receiving a very intrusive "whipple" surgery as well as chemo and radiation treatments.
Why does your friend chose to pass on treatment?

My brother was not a believer at the time we learned he had terminal pancreatic cancer, and it took me three years of prayer and ministering to Jim before he accepted Jesus.

Jim was at times angry at me also for telling him he had such a difficult choice to make, then he was frightened, but once he accepted accepted Jesus' promose that He would not leave Jim alone and would acompany him into His presense he lost his fear and lived out his final days without fear.
 Jim took Jesus into his heart about one month prior to his death. Jim mercifully passed suddenly at home with his girls, his wife, myself and my wife at his side. Jesus took him quickly and peacefully to his home, and we will all meet again soon just as Jesus promosed.
I have also recently been informed by my doctors that I have an incurable pancreatic disease although no-one knows how long my pancreas will hold out. I have no fear as I have total faith in Jesus. It also makes it easier knowing my wife and children are all Christians. My only pain comes from the friends and relatives who are as of today, not believers, although I will do my best to pray and minister to them that God's will -will be done.

I am praying for you and your friend Whitehorse.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2003, 09:12:18 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Whitehorse and Bronzesnake,

Whitehorse, I will be praying for your friend daily. I'll also be praying for you that God gives you guidance and patience in leading your friend to Christ.

Bronzesnake, I will continue to pray for you Brother and for your doctors that God gives them guidance in providing the best medical treatment for you.

Love in Christ,
Tom

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2003, 12:35:56 PM »

I'll prayer for them and the family.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2003, 07:30:08 PM »

Thanks guys. I really, really appreciate it.

Bronzesnake, I am more sorry than I can say to hear of your news. Did you get a second opinion on your ailment? Because medicine is so specialized these days that illnesses that begin in other parts of the body don't get recognized, and doctors don't seem to stay too current on research. Are there any new or experimental treatments to your ailments? I'd be happy to look into it if you want. We hate to see you suffering. I'm sure I'm not alone in praying for you.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2003, 05:01:40 PM »

Welcome back, bronzesnake.  I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis; glad( Grin) to hear of your continued faith in Jesus.

I don't know, Whitehorse, maybe watching a good video with her might help, if she can contemplate something like that.

I'm resurrecting( Grin) "The Greatest Story Ever Told", reviewed by current critics as much, much too slow.

But for someone ill or bedfast, its slow, thoughtfull progression from scene to scene I find very "therapeutic", and a helpful reminder to what among the jillion things were are constantly thinking about from day to day is really important.

It's just a thought; maybe she'd agree to watch it in parts with you?  I think it's about 3 1/2 hours long...  I'm really enjoying just the contemplative pace of it.

I'm remembering you and friend and bronze in prayer...

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2003, 09:30:26 PM »

Really good idea, Symphony. And I think I have the movie, too!  Smiley It might be nice for her to watch a movie about it; it would seem less direct than a conversation, now that she has the specifics about how salvation works. It was an odd mix of curiosity and fear. Asking questions, but troubled by the answers, but wanting to know more...strange. I think a movie would be just the thing for her. Thanks for the suggestion-The Greatest Story Ever Told  would be perfect for her. Thanks for the prayers, too.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2003, 08:09:39 PM »

Yes, you're welcome!  

When I was caring for someone dying once, I strangely found that just sitting with him watching--of all things--golf, was "therapeutic".  It's slow, thoughtful, the narrator talks in a low voice.  The patient just lay there transfixed, and it had a "suspence" all its own; we forgot where we were.

Those things that we active folk easily pass by, are seen differently by someone literally facing "death".

Cool that you have a copy!!

I really like the scene where Jesus is climbing, and comes into that cave with Satan sitting there.  And Satan's little monologue, while he sits there eating, looking at Jesus.  The acting and scene is perfect.  

peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2003, 09:57:32 PM »

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your friend. I just lost my grandmother to bone cancer in july.  Death is indeed terrifying sometimes, and the idea of standing before the throne of God, who will make our judgement is even more heart-pouinding.  But when you have Jesus by your side, death simply becomes the next great adventure.  With your friend, here are my thoughts.  I believe that God puts us through a test at least once through our lives.  Towards the end of this test, I believe we come to a "breaking point," where we either recognize the test is from God and to surrender to his will; or to turn away from the "higher being" in defiance.  Many turn back towards the Lord, but a few who are weak, tierd, and sick(which I'm sure we can all relate to at one point) seem to want to keep wandering away from this being that caused you so much pain.  Now, here is what I think you can do to help her.  Be with her at that breaking point, and help her see that God did this out of love.  I know she does not need a reason to be angry with the Lord, but help her see that if she had never gotten sick in the first place, she might not have ever reached this breaking point (for example, putting off God till' next Sunday at church. Mankind is foolish in thinking that "we'll have time to be a better christian later," because then God simply bombards us with issues until we are forced to face Him, instead of procrastinating with our Chrisian life-does anybody get what im talkng about? lol sry, kinda rambling).  In conclusion, she will eventually realize that she cannot fight through life and travel through death on her own, and it is up to you and your friend to help her make the right choice, or the stubborn, mankind choice.  I will be sure to include both of you in my prayers, expecially that she reaches this breaking point before it is too late.  I have no doubt that you will be able to create a miracle tho!   Wink.

Do not be decieved,Wormwood.Our cause is never more in danger than when a human,no longer desiring,but still intending to do God's will,looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished,and asks why he has been forsaken,and still obeys.-CS Lewis,Screwtape
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2003, 10:35:02 PM »

You beautiful people. Thank you so much.

Symphony, you're right. That's just what she needs. That's really insightful, too, about someone dying seeing and even needing different things than we do. At least I feel like I'm going into this with some idea-it feels really awkward to see someone who is a friend and knowing they're not going to be around too much longer. What on earth do I say to her?

Peachykeen, that is really neat what you wrote about the crossroads and being tested to the limit. I just heard a sermon about it the other say, too, on the radio. Maybe God wants me to really hear this, because you're right-that's where this is for her. She's frightened because even though she went to church all those years, she never really thought about sin and salvation and judgment, and now she has to and it's scary for her.

You guys are really insightful and it is very refreshing to read. Thank you.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 09:01:10 PM »

Smiley
peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2003, 09:27:14 PM »

I'm praying everyday for both of you!  I'm just happy to help  Grin.

Do not be decieved,Wormwood.Our cause is never more in danger than when a human,no longer desiring,but still intending to do God's will,looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished,and asks why he has been forsaken,and still obeys.-CS Lewis,Screwtape
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2003, 02:53:32 PM »

Peachykeen, thank you.

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2003, 07:31:57 AM »

Whitehorse, I stand in accord with all other prayers.  I am so sad for your friend.  Just tell about the Gopspel gently and show love to this poor soul.  She needs all the love and support she can have right now.  I pray the Father's peace will fall on her to enable her to hear your words.  And heed them.  In Jesus Name. Amen.
You are doing a wonderful job Whitehorse.  Hang in there for her.

Love...Tamara.
peachykeen

No, I really AM a llama

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2003, 02:40:33 PM »

How is your friend doing, Whitehorse?  I've been praying and wondering.  Also, I was wondering if you'd be interested in getting her to listen/read a book that might help her.  When my Grandmother passed away this summer, it was literally The Case For Christ that saved her in the end.  Hope things are going well!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the