Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:12:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  God's Will Or Our Will?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: God's Will Or Our Will?  (Read 1180 times)
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2003, 11:04:53 AM »

I have a question about prayer. How much of the prayer that we do is our will and how much is wanting God's will? For example in a life or death situation, how much of our prayer reflects our desire for that person to live as opposed to wanting what God knows is best for that individual? Isn't real love wanting what God wants for each person?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2003, 09:52:15 PM »

Heidi, I absolutely love your posts. They are so refreshing. It's amazing you should ask this question because I've just been musing about it myself tonight.

One example I've been contemplating is church unity, and the lack thereof. Good and bad applications of both, appplications made according to our own desires. For example, after reading Ephesians, we see such a focus on unity, because God is testifying something to the spirit world with our obedience and unity. But how little we think of this. How much easier it is to fester on petty issues and fail to stand up to real ones. Distortion of every kind because of small, temporal desires. And the Bible even says some will fall away because of these self-chosen desires in the parable of the seed and the four types of soil. Matthew 13:1-23.

Verse 22: He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

What a great question. So many applications to the problem, but only one simple solution: wnat what God wants. Pray according to His will, and we will not become bitter. Do according to His will, and we will find fulfillment. Have His prioritues, and our problems become blessings.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2003, 10:06:51 PM »

Thank you, whitehorse.   Grin   Good points.  Praying in the Will of God.

Heidi, yes, thank you.

These days, life being so short and all, I'm conscious of life after death etc.

One thing's occurred to me:  What if God says, "Gee, Symph, I was GOING to do this, and this, and that, and this over here, and that over there.  I was going to heal this person, or resolve that conflict, or help this person over here see a little clearer.  And I kept waiting for you to pray about those things, since YOU were the one there involved with them.

"But NO, you were bitter, or resentful(like Jonah?), or jealous, or arrogant.  And you never prayed in or for those situations.  If you'd just SAID something, you would have unleashed my saving grace.

"But NO, you were all wrapped up in yourself.

"I couldn't do anything in those situations.

"And they're all overwith now.  Too late to do anything about them."

(From the verse that says, "and he could not do many mighty works there, for they did not believe in him"...??)

So I'm wondering, if maybe in some light God's Will is not in fact dependent on "our will"--our will to let Him act and move...

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2003, 11:32:43 PM »

Hi Heidi!

Good posting! Always, but always, we must ask that Father's Will be done in our lives. Always.  Sometimes it may be hard to accept, but, all things work together fopr good for those who love God.
Father knows our genes, what is stored in our brains (something man can't find out!) what we need, and, what we want.  BUT, HE will ALWAYS give us what we NEED.  There are many words in the Bible pertaining to this very question, but I believe Jesus sumed it up when He gave the example prayer of Our Father.  "THY WILL BE DONE ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN"
He also stated that our Father knows what things we have NEED of before we ask Him.
He will never let us down if we ask for His Will to be done.  It could mean He wants us to go anywhere in the world, or, the losing of a loved one.  But, HE is in control of the lives of His children.  And, that in itself is the most precious knowledge one can have.

Love...Tamara.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2003, 01:46:24 PM »

Thanks you guys! I actually agree with all of you. After reading your posts, I think the best bet is to acknowledge our desires in our prayer but let Him know that we are ready to submit to His will even though we may want it otherwise. That way, we are being honest about our desires but will also submit ourselves.

The reason i brought this up is that my friend who's dying of cancer seems so intent on her KNOWLEDGE that God wants her to live. I feel like she's using God to heal her rather than simply wanting Him in her life. I realize she's in a very difficult situation and has many feelings and conflicts to overcome. But if she would just leave those conflicts at the cross and submit herself to His will, whatever it may be, THEN He can work miracles in her if He so chooses. She's mad at me now because she doesn't think I want God to heal her wich is NOT tha case at all. I just want what God wants for her because i don't know His will regarding her life. In some ways i feel like a traitor, but I feel led to ask Him to heal her, if it's in His will. otherwise, i feel like I'm giving Him orders.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2003, 05:37:37 PM »

Symphony, you're right-God is sovereign. He ultimately directs things the way He wants them to go. Please don't be too hard on yourself about things that are past.

As far as opportunities, we're all in the same boat. We all miss opportunities and at times we become distracted away from the eternal purpose by the temporal one. It happens to everybody.

Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2003, 07:29:23 PM »

Absolutely true Whitehorse!
We must be fully submitted to Father, as Jesus said "I would that you should have good health".
That is Father's dearest wish for his fully submitted children. Good health brings all the benefits of life.  
Don't feel a traitor Heidi.  You are human. Father is in control of the situation.  Remember, He is watching your heart as you pray!
Love..Tamara.
sissy_momof2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2003, 07:27:32 AM »

Hello friends,
I am so built up by what all of you have posted.
Heidi - I am so sad for your friend, and for you.  It is very hard when a friend thinks you have disserted them.  I believe from your post - you have a wonderful heart and attitude about her situation.  It is indeed a hard life situation, one we will all come to eventually.  Life is temporary - but we are bound for a far better place.

I think the key to everything is to turn over what we humans think we have - control.  We really don't have it - we just think we do.  I know in my own life it seem I come from a long line of very strong-willed women.  It has not been easy at times for me to turn over "control" but when I have let go- it has always turned out better than I would have ever thought.  There are so many scriptures that teach this life lesson - that if we but let the Lord have his have way, we can live a far better life.  

My Dad, who was a spiritual giant,  always had the attitude "if the Lord wills".  He went to his grave with this attitude and it infected many people who would not have otherwise darkened the door of a church building.

So Heidi - don't lose hope for your friend.  Just give your friend love.  Bear with her as her mind is trying to grasp what may be in store.  Anyone who is struggling with the possibility of dying soon goes through many emotions.  Sometimes they may say things they would not ever have said if they were not so emotionaly upset and scared of the unknown.  And they don't mean them.  I know it hard for you when your friend says things that hurt, and you just want to give her something to hold on to.

I pray that the way you minister to your friend will have an impact on her life and that she will see your true motives and not lash out toward you.

P.S. I'm sorry if I veered off track too much here on my post.

In Christian Love,
Sissy

sissy_momof2
sissy_momof2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2003, 08:13:32 AM »

I'm back.  Found something that is appropriate to this question:

"The government of God is not, as Satan would make it appear, founded upon a blind submission, an unreasoning control.  It appears to the intellect and the conscience.  "Come now, and let us reason together," is the Creator's invitation to the beings He has made.  Isaiah 1:18. God does not force the will of His creatures.  He cannot accept an homage that is not willingly and intelligently given.  A mere forced submission would prevent all real development of mind or character; it would make man a mere automation.  Such is not the purpose of the Creator......He invites us to give ourselves to Him, that He may work His will in us.  It remains for us to choose whether we will be set free from the bondage of sin, to share the glorius liberty of the sons of God."

This spoke to me...hope it helped.....Sissy

sissy_momof2
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2003, 08:26:29 AM »

Thankyou Sissy!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the