Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Hell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hell  (Read 1283 times)
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2003, 02:44:00 AM »

When I told my friend, while sharing the Word of God, that millions are on flames right under your feet, she asked, because hell is eternal, where will hell be when the earth will be destroyed by fire? Hence the question;

where is the location of HELL?

Live today as if you stand before God tomorrow! God has no partiality!!
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 03:24:16 AM »

I don't have the scriptures right now, but one would be lead to believe it's in the center of the earth.

Have to say though, this thread looks funny as it basically says from the main menu.  Today at(insert time) in hell.  hehe looks kinda funny.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 04:02:25 AM »

I could be wrong on this one as I'm replying off the top of my head, but there are levels of the place called Sheol.  One level was considered Abraham's Bossom and the other Hades.  Once Christ died, paid the price for sin, conquered death and hell, and rose again, I believe those in Abraham's Bossom were ushered into to the presence of God.  "To be absent from the body is to be present with the Lord," we are now told.  Plus, Christ told the thief that "today you will be with me in Paradise" which I believe was also referred to as Abraham's Bossom.  Christ paid the price, but the payment wasn't accepted as such until He was raised - that is, He had some level of work to accomplish on this wise.  Not quite sure, so don't quote me on this.

As for Hell, or Hades...I believe that is still in effect.  Where is inconsequential and always has been.  Why?  Because it represents where God is not or complete separation from God - Death.  It matters not whether it is up or down, sideways or otherwise.  It simply is, and one day, will be tossed into the Lake of Fire with Satan and his lot, death, and those who denied Christ.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2003, 11:58:38 PM »

Isn't hell simply a tortured sould forever?
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2003, 02:04:38 AM »

Isn't hell simply a tortured sould forever?

No it is a place.

Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2003, 07:52:18 AM »

Hell is without GOD!

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2003, 11:17:17 AM »

Hell is definitely an absence of God which makes for a tortured soul WHEREVER we go.
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2003, 04:16:23 PM »

Hell is definitely an absence of God which makes for a tortured soul WHEREVER we go.

Well the unsaved are certainly absent from God but thet don't always seem to think it's so horrible.

Fire, wailing, and nashing of teeth.  That invovles a place darlin.

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2003, 05:22:01 PM »

I don't know if you realize, Jabez, just how good of a point you made. (You may very well have realized it). But it has to do with the election/rejection issue. The ones who aren't chosen by God don't care if they're saved or not so they don't know what they're missing. The ones who believe that it isn't fair that God doesn't save everyone would hate it if they didn't go to heaven. But they don't have to worry because since God gave them the desire to be saved, they will be. I'm fairly certain my parents weren't saved because they rejected Christ up to the end. But they don't know what they're missing so I don't think they know how bad a place hell is.
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2003, 05:52:25 PM »

Hell

Text:  derived from the Saxon helan, to cover; hence the covered or the invisible place. In Scripture there are three words so rendered:-

(1.) Sheol, occurring in the Old Testament sixty-five times. This word sheol is derived from a root-word meaning "to ask," "demand;" hence insatiableness (Prov. 30:15, 16). It is rendered "grave" thirty-one times (Gen. 37:35; 42:38; 44:29, 31; 1 Sam. 2:6, etc.). The Revisers have retained this rendering in the historical books with the original word in the margin, while in the poetical books they have reversed this rule.

In thirty-one cases in the Authorized Version this word is rendered "hell," the place of disembodied spirits. The inhabitants of sheol are "the congregation of the dead" (Prov. 21:16). It is (a) the abode of the wicked (Num. 16:33; Job 24:19; Ps. 9:17; 31:17, etc.); (b) of the good (Ps. 16:10; 30:3; 49:15; 86:13, etc.). Sheol is described as deep (Job 11:Cool, dark (10:21, 22), with bars (17:16). The dead "go down" to it (Num. 16:30, 33; Ezek. 31:15, 16, 17).

(2.) The Greek word hades of the New Testament has the same scope of signification as sheol of the Old Testament. It is a prison (1 Pet. 3:19), with gates and bars and locks (Matt. 16:18; Rev. 1:18), and it is downward (Matt. 11:23; Luke 10:15). The righteous and the wicked are separated. The blessed dead are in that part of hades called paradise (Luke 23:43). They are also said to be in Abraham's bosom (Luke 16:22).

(3.) Gehenna, in most of its occurrences in the Greek New Testament, designates the place of the lost (Matt. 23:33). The fearful nature of their condition there is described in various figurative expressions (Matt. 8:12; 13:42; 22:13; 25:30; Luke 16:24, etc.). (See HINNOM.)

Easton's Bible Dictionary

Support your local Christian.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the