Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:00:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286978 Posts in 27572 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The Proper Gift of God
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Proper Gift of God  (Read 2403 times)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2007, 09:49:06 AM »

1 Corinthians 7:7. "For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that."

What is this proper gift of God that every man has? I assume Paul is talking to every man that is a saint in Christ and not just those at Corinth. What is each man's proper gift, how do we know it, if this is aimed at all faithful men?

ollie

Support your local Christian.
David_james
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 10:25:32 AM »

NLT of that verse is
 I wish everyone could get along without marrying, just as I do. But we are not all the same. God gives some the gift of marriage, and to others he gives the gift of singleness.
So either marrige or love
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2007, 12:15:14 PM »

1Co 7:7  For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that.
1Co 7:8  I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I.
1Co 7:9  But if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn.

Amen David, If we look at the surrounding verses we can see this to be the subject at hand.

Paul is talking about being either married or single. The ability to remain chaste is a gift which it was with Paul. If chastity is not possible then marriage is the other gift that is being spoken of.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:07:48 PM »

I  not sure I see marrage or single as the gift

It seems this proper gift is that which could come from either state of being every man is in, married or single, to serve and give of that gift according to what that state of being allows, either marriage or single. If so what is the gift remains unanswered. The gift for the married may not quite be that as for the single. The single could devote more to it than the married. Paul's reasoning and His desire that all could be as he, single.

ollie
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 01:12:38 PM by ollie » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 02:26:53 PM »

ollie,

Take a look at the context of the entire chapter. It is speaking of chastity versus marriage.

1Co 7:1  Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman.
1Co 7:2  Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband.

Verse one = chastity, verse two marriage in order to avoid fornication.

In verse 7 he states that he wishes that all were as he was ... chaste, for Paul never married. Then Paul uses the word "but". The word but here tells us that the coming statement is in reference to this same subject of chastity.

"But" chastity or marriage are according to what God has given each of us to be able to handle. He continues on in verse 8 that it is good for the unmarried and widows to be as he is ... again he makes a comment about himself being single and chaste. In verse 9 Paul has yet another "but" ... but if they cannot contain (control themselves) then it is better for them to marry than it is to burn.

Also if we look at the original Greek we see that the word "houtō" is used for both the words "manner" and "that" in verse 7. This word means = in this way (referring to what precedes or follows). What precedes or follows was the subject of chastity and marriage.

This writing of Paul's goes along with what Jesus said in Mat 19.

Mat 19:9  And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
Mat 19:10  His disciples say unto him, If the case of the man be so with his wife, it is not good to marry.
Mat 19:11  But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
Mat 19:12  For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

As we can see here (in the bold) it is a gift given by God.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2007, 02:35:43 PM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »

OK, Thank you. I understand better.

ollie

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the