Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Denominations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denominations  (Read 8020 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 10:29:36 PM »

Amen Brothers and Sisters!

All of the denominations, labels, and tags will be gone for eternity with JESUS. If we are able to look back and reflect, many of our divisions will seem silly. I was just thinking about the Apostle Paul and him saying that he would prefer to know little else than JESUS CHRIST and HIM crucified for us. This is our Salvation and the central focus for our lives, but we know that our Lord and Saviour arose from the dead and LIVES. We arose from the deadness of our sins and LIVE a NEW and Eternal Life because HE LIVES! It's amazing how sweet our fellowship can be when we keep our eyes and hearts on JESUS. WE LIVE IN HIM!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Bernadette

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 03:52:20 PM »

The Catholic Church is not a denomination in reality....only in general conversation is it acceptable to refer to it that way.   The fact that it is not a denomination does not diminish in any way the wonderful brotherhood in Christ that we all share through our Baptism.  I know it's not commonly done by most, but it behooves us to read about the early fathers of the Church....the church as it was from Jesus' assension through the first 300 years.  Then the next section of the second 300 years, etc.  Christianity was illegal for quite some time and it is fascinating to learn what happened.  For the first 300 years, one who was chosen to lead the Christians...pastorally speaking...was to know that a brutal death was in store.....we call martyrs.  It took alot of commitment to take on a leadership position.  The reason it is not a denomination, however, is because the Church was named "Catholic" before the end of the first 100 years after Jesus' assension.  The first great schism took place 1,000 years later when the Eastern Catholics broke from the Western Catholics (Constantinople from Rome).  However, to this day, both are in complete agreement in liturgy and in sacraments.  And both are Catholic Churches.  In fact, there are several Catholic Churches all in agreement with liturgy and sacraments and have the same Pope, such as the Chaldeans and the Byzantines.  To say "Roman Catholic" is a misnomer.  We are accurately....Catholic of the Latin Rite.  Roman is a term used just within the last 100 years or so in conversation but the Catholic Church documents say "Latin Rite." 
When Calvin and Luther broke away, they did not get rid of all of the teachings.  They wanted to get away from the Bishop's misuse of their power.....and rightfully so!!  Some stayed with the Church and fixed it from within.  Those were the days when there was no separation from Church and State.  Bishops lived in the castles.  Henry the 8th, wanting a divorce, could not get Thomas More (Bishop) to agree to go against the Church so he killed him.  Thomas More is a martyr to die for his faith.  Any and every Christian who dies upholding Christianity is a martyr.  It's just that the Catholic Church recognizes these people with the honor of the title "martyr."  As I said, it is very interesting to read about the early fathers.....by that I mean those men who kept Christianity alive during the first 300 years after Jesus' assension.....NO small task for these great men (and women!!)  God bless you, my brothers and sisters in Christ.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2007, 04:14:04 PM »

Hi Bernadette,

Denomination is a man made name given a religious organization whose congregations are united in their adherence to its beliefs and practices. That makes the Catholic church a denomination. Irregardless of whether you consider it a denomination or not we do not do catholic vs protestant here either.

The word catholic does mean universal and there is only one true universal church and that Church is made up of the body of Christ, those who have accepted Christ as their Saviour with Jesus Christ very God as the head of that Church.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Bernadette

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2007, 04:28:55 PM »

I don't do Catholic vs Protestant either.  I was Methodist long before I became Catholic and love all my Christian brothers and sisters equally.  But, when one person mentioned Lent, it appeared to me that immediate responses started with "you don't have to do that" which does sound like leading someone away from the Catholic ways of doing things.  Of course we are all one in Christ.  That being said and believed by me, I would not try to steer someone away from something sounding "Catholic."  Doing that, does make it a Catholic vs Protestant answer to the man's initial question.  It only becomes a problem when a Catholic gives a view?
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2007, 04:39:31 PM »

It was said that Lent is not a requirement and it definitely is not and that statement has nothing to do with Catholic vs Prostestant. It was also clearly stated that there was nothing wrong with observing it if he so desired.

Col 2:13  And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;
Col 2:14  Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross;
Col 2:15  And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.
Col 2:16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:
Col 2:17  Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Col 2:18  Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
Col 2:19  And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.
Col 2:20  Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
Col 2:21  (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
Col 2:22  Which all are to perish with the using;) after the commandments and doctrines of men?

Col 2:23  Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body; not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 08:09:25 PM »

for those who favor NLT, like me

13 You were dead because of your sins and because your sinful nature was not yet cut away. Then God made you alive with Christ. He forgave all our sins. 14 He canceled the record that contained the charges against us. He took it and destroyed it by nailing it to Christ’s cross. 15 In this way, God disarmed the evil rulers and authorities. He shamed them publicly by his victory over them on the cross of Christ.
16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new-moon ceremonies or Sabbaths. 17 For these rules were only shadows of the real thing, Christ himself. 18 Don’t let anyone condemn you by insisting on self-denial. And don’t let anyone say you must worship angels, even though they say they have had visions about this. These people claim to be so humble, but their sinful minds have made them proud. 19 But they are not connected to Christ, the head of the body. For we are joined together in his body by his strong sinews, and we grow only as we get our nourishment and strength from God.
20 You have died with Christ, and he has set you free from the evil powers of this world. So why do you keep on following rules of the world, such as, 21 “Don’t handle, don’t eat, don’t touch.” 22 Such rules are mere human teaching about things that are gone as soon as we use them. 23 These rules may seem wise because they require strong devotion, humility, and severe bodily discipline. But they have no effect when it comes to conquering a person’s evil thoughts and desires.
heirtoHisriches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 11:04:46 PM »

There's nothing wrong with it... and I thought nothing about Catholics or any other religion when I responded to his question.  I simply mentioned  that I don't.  I did make it clear or at least I hope that I did that the best way for anyone to decide for themselves is to find out as much about any thing that they possibly can.  I figured that since he was asking he wasn't already catholic, the best way to chose what faith (denomination (which method of worship)) is best for you is to find out what it's all about.

And basically that's all I was saying.  I do apologize if you felt that "started something" in here simply because you mentioned another faith, but not taking any sides here (and I haven't been here very long), I have taken this forum to be a Christian forum and the jist of the leadership here doesn't practice the faith of catholicism.

"There is no substitute for what is right.  And that which is Truth will always be Truth whether if I believe in it or not."
David_james
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 11:15:21 PM »

no no no why does this happen to me? Please lock this
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:25:10 PM »

This topic is locked.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the