Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:43:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Denominations
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Denominations  (Read 8010 times)
David_james
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:06:14 AM »

Okay first I don't know if that is spelt right, second I don't know if this is the right forum.

Now I know there is no Denominations on here, but I know I need to know. I don't know if it's important to know but I think it will be important for me soon.

Now my questions: How many are there? What are they? How are they different? Now I don't need to know them all but I don't want to offend anyone.

Thank you
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 10:37:24 AM »

Okay first I don't know if that is spelt right, second I don't know if this is the right forum.

Now I know there is no Denominations on here, but I know I need to know. I don't know if it's important to know but I think it will be important for me soon.

Now my questions: How many are there? What are they? How are they different? Now I don't need to know them all but I don't want to offend anyone.

Thank you

Hello Brother David,

This is a great question, and I'm not sure there is an answer. They are almost beyond counting now, and key words in the name don't necessarily tell you anything these days. As an example, I'm sure there are probably over 60 varieties of Baptists. Most of them are probably pretty fundamental and obviously Christian, but a few might not be. There are some cult type movements that borrow portions of names that are well known so they can get started more quickly. I really shouldn't have just picked on Baptists, because the same is true for many other key words in various denominational names.

I have a dictionary with over 4,000 cults listed, and some of them do contain key words of denominational names that aren't cults at all. So, a keyword denominational name over the door of a church could mean good teaching or false teaching.

Very generally, Christianity is a broad category of churches that traditionally have been centered on CHRIST and the CROSS. Again very generally, Christianity believes in the Holy Trinity as absolute deities:  GOD THE FATHER, GOD THE SON, AND GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT - YET THE THREE BEING ONE ALMIGHTY GOD. However, there are some churches that call themselves Christians who deny one or more of the Holy Trinity. In my opinion, these churches that deny one or more of the Holy Trinity are simply cults and not Christians at all. They deny the teachings of the Holy Bible, and many of them have their own Bibles written to fit their own specific beliefs. A few examples of those denying one or more of the Holy Trinity are Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, Later Day Saints, Armstrongites, and many you wouldn't even recognize the names.

There are tons of places calling themselves churches who worship other gods (little "g") and they are false religions that have nothing to do with the worship of the only LIVING GOD. Many of these include Islam, Buddhist, Hindu, other Eastern Religions, satan worshipers, wiccans, pagans, witches, warlocks, etc.

Brother David, the answer to your question would probably be somewhere over 50,000, and there are more springing up every day - some good and some completely false. A key question always involves what they believe about JESUS CHRIST, the CROSS, and the Holy Trinity. Many false religions can be identified quickly because they deny that JESUS CHRIST is GOD or they deny GOD THE FATHER OR GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT. Many false religions don't recognize JESUS CHRIST at all, and other false religions say he was just a man, messenger, preacher, or just anything else other than GOD made manifest in the flesh.

Brother David, I wish that I could give you a better answer, but I don't think anyone knows how many new churches formed just today and whether they are true or false. I could have grossly under-estimated the number of false and true religions. I guessed over 50,000 and it could easily be over 100,000. However, I did at least try to give you an answer the best I could.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 103:11 NASB  For as high as the heavens are above the earth, So great is His lovingkindness toward those who fear Him.

David_james
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:35:21 AM »

Thank you, that did answer some of it. Another friend answered the rest. Obviously talking about true churches, that they believe and do things abit, but all believe that God sent Jesus, only son, to die on the cross for our sins.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 01:21:52 PM »

Hi David,

There are some cults that believe that God sent Jesus to die on the cross for our sins yet at the same time believe that Jesus was nothing more than a man. It is important, as Brother Tom said, to know that Jesus was fully man and fully God Himself for only God is perfect and could be a perfect sacrifice our sins. Jesus was and is perfect, without all blemish.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
David_james
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:29:02 PM »

I thank you for the information. I thought it was a simple question but Obviously I was very wrong.
I know Jesus was not just a man but God in appearance of man ( hope I said that correctly )

The original reason I asked was because I am interested in partaking ( is that the right word? ) in Lent. I never heard much about it until recently from a good Christian friend who I think is catholic ( sorry if spelt wrong ). Even though she said she knows people who aren't Catholic do Lent, I can't help but think about what my Christian parents would think since I was not brought up with it. Of course they will still love me. It could just simply be because since Lent has rules, they didn't want to force things on us.

I hope I didn't offend anyone.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 03:00:18 PM »

Hi again David,

I am sure there is no offense taken. As Brother Tom said, it is a great subject.

Yes, Lent is recognized by various denominations. There is nothing wrong in observing Lent if you so desire. There is also nothing wrong in not observing it. Like the Bible tells us, "whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him".

One of the things most associated with the period of Lent is fasting. I know that you have some health considerations as do many of us on the forum here. If you intend to observe the fasting I would suggest checking with your Dr to insure it is alright to do so. I for one am not able to fast. One day of fasting puts me in the hospital.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Bernadette

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 08:17:31 PM »

Hey, David,
The important thing here seems to be that if you have a feeling that won't go away...in your heart of hearts...that you should be observing Lent, then by all means, pray about it.  Ask the Lord to make your path clear.  Then listen to the small, still voice of your heart which is where you find the answer to your prayer.   If you do feel you should observe Lent, then learn what you can about what Lent is all about.  Fasting is not required if health reasons would permit it.  And, it doesn't have to be a serious health problem...it can be just feeling light headed if you don't eat.  Fasting isn't every day and I have never found it to be difficult if done correctly.  In truth, observing Lent is spending Ash Wednesday through Easter Sunday emersed in our Lord's life in those days, what he taught, in the sacrifices He made for you...for us all.  God knows your heart better than you do and will meet you exactly where you are.  He will guide you.  May I add, you will not hear answers with the TV and radio on.  Only in silence can you truly hear in your heart.  Always give Him praise and thanksgiving for all everyday things we too often ignore.  And, by the way, Catholic is not considered a denomination.  The important thing for you is to pray and listen.  God bless you on your journey with the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit.
David_james
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2007, 10:50:52 PM »

thank you for your help
But I do think catholic is a Denomination of Christianity
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 10:54:35 PM »

Hi Bernadette,

Welcome to Christians Unite. I look forward to seeing more of your post.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 10:57:12 PM »

thank you for your help
But I do think catholic is a Denomination of Christianity

Hi David. Denomination is a name for a group or organization so yes Catholic as used to mean Roman Catholic would be a denomination also.

heirtoHisriches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 01:54:32 PM »

...If you do feel you should observe Lent, then learn what you can about what Lent is all about...

Hello David, this really is an excellent question and understanding it can be key in many ways.  I hold some more rigorous views on denominations, because sometimes the slightest change from truth can lead you barrelling down a rabbit hole of pitch darkness.  But I think a point that Bernadette made here is the best way to not lose focus.

The Holy Scriptures tell us to "Study to show thyself approved...a workman...rightly dividing the Word of Truth..."  In my honest opinion, the only way to do that is to know what there is to know about whatever you plan on getting involved with.  Use the internet if you have to, I, for one, still have a library card to the local library.  Research it, pray about it and try to understand what kind of role it will play in your relationship with God, remembering that anything that takes your attention off of God is not good.  Don't get "caught up" in the practice or the act and forget what or who it's about.

The reason for so many denominations out there in the world today is because there are so many variations from what is truth, the slightest change in precepts and concepts.  I for one, don't like to participate in anything I don't understand.  I have been freed from having to "work" the traditions of the law & spirit because of Jesus Christ's sacrifice.  And I mean no offense, either.

God bless you and may He reveal to you what you need to know to make the right decisions in your life for His glory.  And don't forget His Word tells us in James Chapter 1 Verses 5 & 6 ...That if any of you is lacking in wisdom, let him ask of God...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 01:58:14 PM by heirtoHisriches » Logged

"There is no substitute for what is right.  And that which is Truth will always be Truth whether if I believe in it or not."
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 06:38:47 PM »

HeirToHisRiches Said:

The reason for so many denominations out there in the world today is because there are so many variations from what is truth, the slightest change in precepts and concepts.  I for one, don't like to participate in anything I don't understand.  I have been freed from having to "work" the traditions of the law & spirit because of Jesus Christ's sacrifice.  And I mean no offense, either.

Amen Brother!

I agree completely. The traditions and rituals of men has been a problem for thousands of years, and it continues. What many people don't understand is that the traditions and rituals of the Old Testament were simply shadows of what was to come - JESUS CHRIST. JESUS CHRIST is the absolute, LIVING REALITY, and HE replaced the shadows.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Hebrews 4:16 NASB  Therefore let us draw near with confidence to the throne of grace, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 07:43:05 PM »

I'll be the spoil sport here I guess, denominations are man made. 

heirtoHisriches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 08:08:27 PM »

@ DreamWeaver - Now that also speaks volumes, ...When He returns for His Church, He will gather His Church not His churches.  There is one God and one Truth, and those who have accepted it will be accepted in.

Spoilsport?  I beg the differ.

"There is no substitute for what is right.  And that which is Truth will always be Truth whether if I believe in it or not."
David_james
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 08:19:53 PM »

exactly why we don't do Denominations here. Either you're a Christian or you're not.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the