Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:13:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share A Thought
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share A Thought  (Read 35326 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2003, 08:12:35 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall, Forrest, & Brother Love,

AMEN! - Thanks!

I enjoyed your thoughts and hope that many others will also enjoy them.

I give thanks that we can uplift each other with beautiful portions and thoughts about HIS HOLY WORD. I also give thanks that we can pray for and encourage each other to walk closer to HIM in fuller joy and fellowship.

Thanks! This was a nice way to start the day.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2003, 08:15:33 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 17

Assurance of Salvation through Faith:

And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God.  (1Jo_5:11-13)

If we are to grow in grace, we must live by faith. "Therefore it is of faith that it might be according to grace" (Rom_4:16). If our faith is to develop and mature, we must know where faith comes from. Jesus (and His word) is the source of our faith. "Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith . . . faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God" (Heb_12:2 and Rom_10:17). As we get to know our Lord better and better, as we get into His word more and more, our faith grows. As our faith grows, we experience the grace of God in increasing ways. One of the wonderful workings of God's grace is to bring us assurance of salvation through faith.

Some people wonder if they are saved. Others hope that they are saved. Still others think that they might be saved. God wants people to know that they are saved. "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life." Of course, salvation (the gift of eternal life) is given to those who "believe in the name of the Son of God." This means that they trust in the person and work of Christ. They believe He is God, the Son. They believe He died and rose victorious over sin and death. Many who have entered into salvation are, nonetheless, without assurance of this great gift.

Assurance is imparted through the consideration of the previous testimony of the faithful and true word of God. "And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son." The gift of eternal life has truly been provided for by the Lord. However, the Father wants us to be reminded that this eternal life is "in His Son." Everlasting life is not some "packaged blessing" that comes to us separated from Jesus. The life God has for us is found through a dependent relationship with a person, Jesus. If we have Jesus in our lives, we have the life that is found in Him. "He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life." If we have invited the Lord into our lives, He now dwells in us. "As many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God" (Joh_1:12). Jesus gives us assurance of salvation through faith in Him.

Lord Jesus, I thank You for coming into my life when I received You by faith. Therefore, I know that I have eternal life, since that life is in You. Thank You for the grace that brings such assurance through simple faith in You, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:34:05 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2003, 08:30:48 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

In reading the Hoekstra Devotion today, I couldn't help but think about a beautiful hymn, "Blessed Assurance". This thought gave me joy because I have that assurance. "Blessed Assurance, Jesus is mine."

I know that the powers of darkness don't want any child of God to have assurance of salvation. Those dark powers want us to doubt, be confused, and be weak. God wants the opposite, and HE builds our faith and assurance as we study HIS WORD, pray for guidance, seek HIS will, and walk in the SPIRIT. Our joy and comfort in HIM grows with our faith and assurance. Peace and many other GIFTS increase as our faith increases.

Brothers and Sisters, I pray that you enjoy the fullness of joy, comfort and peace IN CHRIST. Smile and KEEP LOOKING UP!

Love in Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 18, 2003, 04:43:20 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 18

Security of Salvation through Faith:

An inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.  (1Pe_1:4-5)

In our previous biblical meditation, we considered the delightful work of God's grace that brings to His children assurance of salvation through faith. "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life" (Joh_5:13). Assurance of salvation pertains to the certainty that we actually are saved. Another related work of God's grace is security of salvation through faith. Security of salvation pertains to the certainty that we will remain saved.

The scriptures offer great confidence that our salvation is eternally secure. Jesus spoke of such security for His sheep. "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand" (Joh_10:27-28). Paul was inspired of the Holy Spirit to write of this grand theme. "For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Rom_8:38-39). What great security is available in Christ!

Yet, other scriptures stir apprehension for some concerning security. "For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit . . . if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance . . . For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins" (Heb_6:4, Heb_6:6 and Heb_10:26). Such verses certainly provoke debate on whether or not one can lose his salvation (or whether a willfully fallen, professing Christian was ever saved or not).

In light of this, where do we turn to settle eternal security? We must turn to the Lord in faith. The children of God have a rich salvation inheritance waiting in glory: "An inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you." Day by day, we can enjoy the blessing of being guarded by God's power for this salvation, if we are depending upon the Lord: "who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time." Security of salvation is known through day by day faith in the Lord Jesus.

Lord God of my salvation, I praise You that eternal security is available in Christ through faith. At times, I have tried to find security of salvation through theological debates with others. Lord, I gladly trust you to keep me this day by Your power, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:36:15 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2003, 05:31:42 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 19

Protection from the Devil through Faith:

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith.  (1Pe_5:8-9)

As we walk by faith, God's grace is imparted into our lives, bringing us many blessings in our Lord. We have seen that among these heavenly delights are assurance of salvation and security of salvation. "These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life . . . who are kept by the power of God through faith for salvation ready to be revealed in the last time" (1Jo_5:13 and 1Pe_1:5). Related to these is protection from the devil through faith.

Godly Christian living involves a spiritual gravity and a spiritual attentiveness. "Be sober, be vigilant." These necessary traits that the Lord wants to develop in us do not nullify the reality of joy and peace in the Lord. However, such earnestness is mandatory due to the enemy that we have. "Because your adversary the devil walks about." We do have a committed and intimidating spiritual opponent, and he has an organized army of fallen, rebellious, demonic cohorts. "For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places" (Eph_6:12). The intention of our spiritual foe is deadly. He goes about "like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour." Our enemy is not merely desiring to frustrate us or make us miserable. He wants to devour us, to devastate our lives. Jesus stated the matter this way. "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy" (Joh_10:10).

Although our adversary is relentless and imposing, God's gracious remedy is simple and effective. "Resist him" We are to oppose him. We are to stand against him. How are we to accomplish this? Are we to pit our own strength against his? Never! We effectively stand against him by being "steadfast in the faith." We simply continue trusting in the great truths of God's word, which declare Christ as victor over our foe. "For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil . . . Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it [the cross] " (1Jo_3:8 and Col_2:15). By faith, we renounce the enemy and submit to our Lord. Thereby, God promises us that the enemy will flee. "Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you" (Jam_4:7).

Dear Lord, mighty conqueror, what a joy it is to know that You have defeated the enemy and his demonic conspirators. What grace You offer in providing protection from the devil as I simply resist him by trusting in You. Praise Your victorious name!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:39:00 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2003, 05:00:11 AM »

I simply resist him by trusting in You. Praise Your victorious name!

Amen

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2003, 05:46:08 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 20

Victory over the World through Faith:

For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?  (1Jo_5:4-5)

The enemy of our souls would love to devour our lives. "Your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (1Pe_5:Cool. We can enjoy protection from the devil through faith. "Resist him, steadfast in the faith" (1Pe_5:9). When the enemy cannot devastate us by direct attack, he still desires to pull us down into defeat, using the pitfalls and temptations that are available to him throughout the entire world system. "The whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one" (1 John 5:19). All of the unredeemed, as well as all of their cultural networks, are under the influence of the evil one. Nevertheless, we have available to us daily victory over the world through faith.

The only people who can ever walk in victory over the world are born again believers in Jesus Christ. "For whatever is born of God overcomes the world." We urgently need the overcoming grace of God, because of the avenues of earthly enticements that the devil can use against us. "For all that is in the world — the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life — is not of the Father but is of the world" (1Jo_2:16). Through the world around us, our spiritual foe wants to draw us into ungodly areas that our flesh craves, our eyes covet, or our pride wants to feast upon. The path of victory is traveled by faith. "And this is the victory that has overcome the world — our faith." We initially entered into the victory of Christ by placing our faith in Him. "Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?" We continue to experience all the manifold ramifications of that victory through day by day dependence upon the Lord.

Jesus taught these truths when He was here upon earth. "In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world" (Joh_16:33). It is absolutely certain that the world will bring to us all many troubles and trials. Our fully sufficient hope is the Lord Jesus Christ. The world came against Jesus with all of its plots and ploys. Our Lord and Savior never succumbed at any point. He is the one we are to rely upon, in order to walk in victory ourselves. "You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world" (1Jo_4:4). Trusting in the victor allows us to walk in His victory.

Lord Jesus, the world has surely brought me many difficulties and temptations. Yet, You are the overcoming victor, so I look to You for personal victory day by day. How blessed I am to have living in me the one who is far greater than the enemy who roams about in the world, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:40:54 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

joyunending

He is Risen!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2003, 10:13:44 AM »

What a great post!!  Some of these thoughts and scriptures are sooooo uplifting!!! Praise God!
  Some of my favorites,
  If we love one another, God lives in us and His love is made complete in us... 1 John 4:12

Who is wise and understanding among you?  Let him show it by his good life.... James 3:13

Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12

A new command I give you: As I have loved you, so you must love one another... John 13:34

The Lord said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness... 2 Cor. 12:9

Let the heavens rejoice, let the earth be glad; let them say among the nations, "The Lord reigns!" 1 Chron. 16:31

What a wonderful book He left us to read and read and read and never get tired of it ... Always finding something 'new' that He has to reveal to us!!
        GOD IS GOOD,,,,,, Joy Grin Grin Grin

Love in Him,  Joy
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2003, 09:47:36 PM »

What a wonderful book He left us to read and read and read and never get tired of it ... Always finding something 'new' that He has to reveal to us!!
        GOD IS GOOD,,,,,, Joy Grin Grin Grin

Oklahoma Howdy to JoyUnending,

AMEN! I really enjoyed your post. The RICHES of HIS WORD are truly unending and past finding out.

In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2003, 06:16:42 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 21

The Extensive Consequences of Walking by Faith:

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.  (Heb_11:1-3)

In order to live by grace, we must be willing to walk by faith. For those who actually depend upon the Lord day by day, (thereby accessing His grace), the scriptures regularly proclaim the extensive consequences of walking by faith.

First, let's consider the significant characteristics of faith. "Now faith is the substance of things hoped for." Faith is the assuring confirmation of the wonderful things that we anticipate God will do. As faith grows in the promises and purposes of God, that faith becomes an increasing substantiation of the certainty of those heavenly plans of God. Also, faith is "the evidence of things not seen." Faith is the convicting verification of realities the human senses cannot observe. Faith convinces us of the absolute existence of God and His angels, Adam and Eve, the devil and demons, heaven and hell, and the prophets and apostles of old.

Next, let's consider some of the living results of faith. "For by it the elders obtained a good testimony." By faith men and women of generations past established a godly witness concerning their relationship with the Lord. "By faith Abel . . . By faith Enoch . . . By faith Noah . . . By faith Abraham . . . By faith Sarah . . . By faith Isaac . . . By faith Jacob . . . By faith Joseph . . . By faith Moses . . . By faith the harlot Rahab . . . [and others]" (Heb_11:4-5, Heb_11:7-8, Heb_11:11, Heb_11:20-23, Heb_11:31). Their testimonies were exceedingly diverse. Yet, the common elements were their trust in the Lord and the glory such faith brought to His name.

Last, let's consider some of the spiritual understanding of faith. "By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible." God has shaped the heart of all humanity so that the observation of creation guarantees a universal conviction of Himself as creator. "For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead" (Rom_1:20). His holy scriptures then explain how He created all visible things. "By the word of the LORD the heavens were made, and all the host of them by the breath of His mouth" (Psa_33:6).

Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, creator of heaven and earth, I bow before You in faith. I rejoice in the assurances, convictions, and understandings of faith. I have a deep desire to obtain a good testimony through faith in You, for Your honor and glory, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:43:42 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2003, 06:39:45 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 23

Enoch's Pleasing Walk with God, by Faith:

By faith Enoch was translated so that he did not see death, "and was not found because God had translated him"; for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. But without faith it is impossible to please Him.  (Heb_11:5-6)

It is the will of God that we learn to walk in a manner pleasing to the Lord: "that you may have a walk worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing Him" (Col_1:10). Again, such godly living can only be developed by faith. Much helpful insight into such a life is provided in Enoch's pleasing walk with God, by faith.

Enoch was one of our earliest forefathers. "Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah" (Gen_5:21). After the birth of Methuselah (who became, at 969 years, the oldest man ever on earth), Enoch began a three hundred year long journey of close fellowship with God. "After he begot Methuselah, Enoch walked with God three hundred years" (Gen_5:22). After three centuries of spiritual intimacy, Enoch was taken into heaven without experiencing death. "And Enoch walked with God; and he was not, for God took him" (Gen_5:24). Enoch's intimacy with God and his unique home going were related to a life of reliance upon the Lord. "By faith Enoch was translated so that he did not see death . . . for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God." Of course, what was so pleasing to God about Enoch's walk was his trust in the Lord. "But without faith it is impossible to please Him."

Enoch is a wonderful reminder of what life is all about — walking with God by faith throughout our days on earth, then walking right on into the presence of God in heaven someday. Many will eventually do this, like Enoch, without facing death. "For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord" (1Th_4:16-17). Others may face death, but the key ingredient of fellowship on earth right on into heaven is the same. "I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand. You will guide me with Your counsel, And afterward receive me to glory" (Psa_73:23-24).

Dear God of heaven and earth, I desire to please You by a life of faith here on earth. Help me to walk closely with You day by day throughout my pilgrimage here below. I eagerly anticipate the day that I will forever be with You in the fullness of Your glorious presence in heaven above, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:46:13 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2003, 09:43:39 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

There will be a delay until Sunday for my normal posts here. I am away from home. My daughter offered me a chance to take care of the grandsons for a couple of days. She had to twist my arm real hard, but I finally gave in.  Grin

Her computer is better than mine, but I don't have any of my software here. I'm trying to make do with stuff I've never used before, and that is hard for an old guy.   Grin

Keep looking up!

Love in Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2003, 01:31:53 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 22

Abel's Acceptable Worship Sacrifice, by Faith:

By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, through which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and through it he being dead still speaks.  (Heb_11:4)

The Lord desires that people become true spiritual worshipers of Him. "The hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him" (Joh_4:23). This can only become a reality through faith in the Lord. One helpful example of this is Abel's acceptable worship sacrifice, by faith.

Cain and Abel were two sons of Adam and Eve. The time came when they both offered sacrifices unto the Lord. "And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the LORD. Abel also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of their fat" (Gen_4:3-4). The sacrifice of Cain was rejected by God, whereas Abel's sacrifice was accepted. "And the LORD respected Abel and his offering, but He did not respect Cain and his offering" (Gen_4:4-5). Our primary verse tells us why Abel's gift of worship was acceptable to the Lord. "By faith Abel offered to God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain." Abel's sacrifice was given by faith. It came from a heart that believed in the Lord and trusted in His righteous ways. "The sacrifice of the wicked is an abomination to the LORD . . . but He loves him who follows righteousness" (Pro_15:8-9). When the Lord accepted Abel's offering, He was declaring that Abel was righteous in His sight: "through which he obtained witness that he was righteous." Elsewhere, the word confirms that Cain was an unbeliever; whereas, Abel walked in righteousness. "Cain . . . was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous" (1Jo_3:12).

When we offer worship sacrifices to the Lord, He is looking on our hearts. Are we trusting in Him? Are we yielding to the righteous paths that His word has set forth? Whether we are offering praise, giving thanks, doing good deeds, or sharing our resources with others, we are to do it all by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ. "Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name. But do not forget to do good and to share, for with such sacrifices God is well pleased . . . you . . . are being built up a spiritual house . . . to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ" (Heb_13:15-16 and 1Pe_2:5).

Dear heavenly Father, I want to be a true spiritual worshiper of You. I repent of any sacrifices that I have offered from self-interest or self-righteousness. I want to offer my worship to You through faith in Jesus Christ, my Lord, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:50:49 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2003, 01:47:32 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 24

More on Enoch's Pleasing Walk with God, by Faith:

By faith Enoch was translated so that he did not see death . . . for before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.  (Heb_11:5-6)

Before Enoch was taken to heaven, he walked with God in a manner that pleased the Lord. Enoch's faith in God is what was pleasing unto Him. "Before his translation he had this testimony, that he pleased God. But without faith it is impossible to please Him." Pleasing God, as Enoch did, should be our desire.

Many people waste their lives by aiming at pleasing themselves. Their lives are choked with self-indulgence. "And the ones that fell among thorns are those who, when they have heard, go out and are choked with cares, riches, and pleasures of life, and bring no fruit to maturity" (Luke 8:14). They have ignored the fact that pleasing self cannot lead to spiritual growth and Christlikeness. "We then who are strong ought to bear with the scruples of the weak, and not to please ourselves . . . For even Christ did not please Himself"  (Rom_15:1, Rom_15:3). Others live in carnal bondage to human opinions. Their consistent priority is to please people. This was part of King Saul's downfall. "Then Saul said to Samuel, 'I have sinned, for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD and your words, because I feared the people and obeyed their voice' " (1Sa_15:24). We cannot aim to please man and still serve God. "Do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a servant of Christ" (Gal_1:10).

Living to please God is what we were created for. This can never happen apart from faith. "Without faith it is impossible to please Him." Coming to the Lord in true biblical faith begins with a conviction that God exists. "For he who comes to God must believe that He is." Additionally, God-pleasing faith eagerly anticipates the Lord's gracious response to all who truly seek Him. "He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him." Although there are many blessings that result from pursuing  the Lord, the ultimate reward is God Himself. God told this to Abraham. "After these things the word of the LORD came to Abram in a vision, saying, 'Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your exceedingly great reward' " (Gen_15:1).

Lord God almighty, too often I have aimed at pleasing myself. At other times, My goal was to please people. Thank You for Your patience and forgiveness. Now, my heart desires to please You in all things. By faith, I know that You exist. By faith, I seek You, anticipating the grand reward of knowing You better and better, in Jesus name, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:53:29 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2003, 01:50:32 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 25

Noah Building an Ark, by Faith:

By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen, moved with godly fear, prepared an ark for the saving of his household, by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.  (Heb_11:7)

At times, the Lord asks His people to engage in assignments that seem to make no sense at all. Perhaps, it is a task that we have never undertaken. Perhaps, it is preparation for a problem that we have never encountered previously. One of the most profound examples from such categories was Noah building an ark, by faith. His example is profound both in the circumstances that he faced, as well as the extent of the impact of his faithful response.

The extreme wickedness of humanity was the setting. "Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually" (Gen_6:5). A worldwide flood would be man's deserved judgment. "So the LORD said, 'I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth . . . I Myself am bringing the flood of waters on the earth' " (Gen_6:7, Gen_6:17). Noah was an upright man who lived in close fellowship with the Lord. He would be graciously delivered. "But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD. . . . Noah was a just man, perfect in his generations. Noah walked with God" (Gen_6:8-9).

To build an ark for a monumental flood must have appeared absurd in a world that had never experienced such a phenomenon. Nonetheless, Noah fully accepted this divine admonishment, even though he had never witnessed what God was warning about. "By faith Noah, being divinely warned of things not yet seen . . . prepared an ark." His faithful obedience was motivated by holy respect for the Lord and for all of His pronouncements: "moved with godly fear."

The consequences of his labor of faith were far-reaching. His own family was saved: "prepared an ark for the saving of his household." By Noah's godly trust, the rest of the world was condemned for their ungodliness and unbelief: "by which he condemned the world." Noah himself became numbered among those who illustrate that the Lord's righteousness is received by trusting Him: "and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith." Additionally, he became a reminder of being ready for the return of the Lord. "But as the days of Noah were, so also will the coming of the Son of Man be" (Mat_24:37).

Dear Lord, please teach me to respond in faith, as Noah did, whenever You call me to a perplexing assignment. Also, as impending judgment awaits the growing worldwide ungodliness, help me to proclaim Christ as the present ark of rescue, while eagerly anticipating His return, Amen.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2003, 05:48:23 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the