Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Share A Thought
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Share A Thought  (Read 35367 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2003, 01:52:52 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 26

Abraham's Obedient, Earthly Sojourn, by Faith:

By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would afterward receive as an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he was going. By faith he sojourned in the land of promise as in a foreign country, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise; for he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.  (Heb_11:8-10)

Abraham provides one of the most profound studies concerning the extensive consequences of walking by faith. One lesson he offers is that trusting God enables us to obediently leave familiar settings to follow the Lord into new, uncertain situations. Beyond this, Abraham's example sheds light on how to face our entire journey on earth. We see this in Abraham's obedient, earthly sojourn, by faith.

God called Abraham to leave his familiar homeland and to follow Him to a new land that the Lord would give him. "Now the LORD had said to Abram: 'Get out of your country, from your kindred and from your father's house, to a land that I will show you' " (Gen_12:1). Abraham obeyed the Lord by stepping out into this monumental change. "By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out to the place which he would afterward receive as an inheritance." He trusted the Lord to lead him, even though he was given no indication of where this land would be. "And he went out, not knowing where he was going." When he arrived in the land, his faith again was exercised by having to sojourn there, as if he were an alien in a foreign land. "By faith he sojourned in the land of promise as in a foreign country." Year after year, he moved about in tents with his son and grandson, who were also promised this same land: "dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise."

There certainly are times when the Lord calls us to follow Him into monumental rearrangements. Only trusting our Lord, as Abraham did, will sustain us. Still, whether circumstances are shifting or stable, we are to face all of life's journey as he did. This world is promised to God's children some day. "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth" (Mat_5:5). Until the Lord makes it so, we sojourn here as visitors (in the world, but not of it), walking with our God and being used by Him. Meanwhile, like Abraham, we are waiting by faith for an everlasting city that man cannot produce. "For he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God."

Lord God of Abraham, for any changes that You want to lead me into, I want to trust You, as Abraham did. Lord, for all of my sojourn here on earth, I look to You to keep me and use me — as I await Your return, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2003, 03:11:19 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 27

Abraham's Patient, Heavenly Pilgrimage, by Faith:

These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland.  (Heb_11:13-14)

We looked at Sarah's testimony here in Hebrews previously (in the meditations on God's promises). Consequently, we will press on to consider a strategic extension of Abraham's testimony concerning his obedient, earthly sojourn, by faith. Therein, we saw him traveling through life on earth as an alien, a stranger (in the world, but not of it). Now, we will see Abraham's patient, heavenly pilgrimage, by faith. His previous testimony concluded with this pilgrimage theme: "For he waited for the city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God" (Heb_11:10). Early in the present continuing testimony, the two themes are coupled. "They were strangers and pilgrims on the earth." A stranger (sojourner) is one who does not belong to the given locale. The pilgrim is one who is marching toward a given spiritual destination.

Abraham and his family (Sarah, Isaac, and Jacob) were promised the land flowing with milk and honey. "These all died in faith, not having received the promises." They did not personally experience the possessing of the promised land. Yet, they lived with a sense of guaranty that God would fulfill His promises: "but having seen them afar off were assured of them, embraced them." They fully accepted the certainty that the Lord would some day give that land to their seed. Meanwhile, they confessed that they were content to live as strangers concerning this world and as pilgrims anticipating the world to come: "and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth."

Now, the pilgrimage aspect of Abraham's testimony (and his family's) is emphasized. "For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland." As the years passed and the promised land was not given to them, their hearts yearned for a true, lasting, eternal homeland. "For those who say such things declare plainly that they seek a homeland." God wants to develop this perspective of heavenly pilgrimage in our hearts as well. "Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul" (1Pe_2:11). The Lord wants us to set our daily course toward heaven, rejecting earthly cravings that diminish spiritual vitality.

Father God, You have fulfilled so many promises for me here on this earth. I praise You and thank You for such loving grace. Still, my heart yearns for that which heaven alone can provide. Thus, I press on as a pilgrim, bound for my homeland above.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2003, 07:55:27 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 28

More on Abraham's Patient, Heavenly Pilgrimage, by Faith:

And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return. But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.  (Heb_11:15-16)

Abraham (and his family) lived as "strangers and pilgrims on the earth" (Heb_11:13). He lived as an obedient sojourner here on earth, trusting God to lead him about as one who was in the world, but not of the world. He also lived as a patient, heavenly pilgrim, trusting God to lead him eventually to the eternal homeland that awaits all who have saving faith in the Lord. We have a similar calling from the Lord. "Beloved, I beg you as sojourners and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts which war against the soul" (1Pe_2:11).

Abraham understood that spiritual sojourners and heaven-bound pilgrims must stay away from earth-bound cravings that undermine one's godly quest. "And truly if they had called to mind that country from which they had come out, they would have had opportunity to return." Abraham and his seed had many tests and trials in their pilgrimage with the Lord. If they had set their attention on the country they forsook, they would have been tempted to return there. The enemy of our souls wants to wage war against us by ensnaring us again in the world that we have forsaken: "in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air" (Eph_2:2). Everyone is vulnerable to such attack. Even one of Paul's early associates in ministry fell prey to this enticement. "Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world" (2Ti_4:10). Thus, the Lord warns us to stay away from any indulgent relationship with the world. "Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him" (1Jo_2:15).

Instead, we are to desire the priorities of Abraham and his family. "But now they desire a better, that is, a heavenly country." Even though the land of promise was in their inheritance some day, they hungered for the ultimate realities of heaven above. Such heaven-focused faith is pleasing to our heavenly Father. "Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them." In this heavenly city ("the city of the living God — Heb_12:22), we will dwell forever with our glorious Lord!

Lord God, the only true and living God, I regret those times that the world has drawn my attention away from my heavenly homeland. I cry out to You — please anchor my heart in heaven above, that I might thereby please You in my pilgrimage here on earth below, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2003, 06:35:02 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 29

Isaac and Jacob Viewing the Future, by Faith:

By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come. By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph.  (Heb_11:20-21)

Since we have previously considered Abraham's offering of Isaac (again, in the section on God's promises), let's move on to consider Isaac and Jacob. While pronouncing prophetic blessings upon their descendants, these two men became examples of viewing the future, by faith.

The first example given, Isaac, actually occurred in the midst of a deceitful plot by one of his own sons. Isaac wanted to pass on a blessing to his oldest son, Esau. "Now it came to pass, when Isaac was old and his eyes were so dim that he could not see, that he called Esau his older son and said to him . . . 'Make me savory food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die' " (Gen_27:1, Gen_27:4). Jacob (the supplanter or "schemer") disguised himself and lied to his father, attempting to steal the blessing. "And Jacob said to his father, 'I am Esau your firstborn . . . sit and eat of my game, that your soul may bless me' . . . And he did not recognize him . . . so he blessed him" (Gen_27:19, Gen_27:23). Although Esau later was given a blessing as well, the blessing for Jacob passed on the headship of the family to this younger son. "Be master over your brethren, and let your mother's sons bow down to you" (Gen_27:29). When informed of the deceit, Isaac let the blessing stand. The Lord indicates this was an act of faith in the purposes of God.

The second example given, Jacob, also occurred in an unusual setting. Joseph was bringing his two sons, Ephraim and Manasseh, to his father for a family blessing. "Now the eyes of Israel were dim with age, so that he could not see. Then Joseph brought them near him, and he kissed them and embraced them" (Gen_48:10). Joseph brought Ephraim (the younger) toward Jacob's left hand and Manasseh (the firstborn) toward his right hand. However, Jacob crossed his hands, thereby switching the primary blessing. "And Joseph said to his father, 'Not so, my father, for this one is the firstborn; put your right hand on his head.' But his father refused and said, 'I know, my son, I know. He also shall become a people, and he also shall be great; but truly his younger brother shall be greater than he' " (Gen 48:18-19).

These actions may not seem significant to us. Yet, the Lord lists them as notable steps of faith in Him. These blessings reflected and instituted aspects of God's sovereign plans, in spite of inappropriate scheming and established traditions.

O sovereign Lord, I bow in faith to Your perfect plans and purposes. What a comfort to know that Your will cannot be thwarted by inappropriate schemes or established traditions. Teach me to view the future with faith in Your wisdom and Your sovereignty, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2003, 09:47:34 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 30

Joseph Also Viewing the Future, by Faith:

By faith Joseph, when he was dying, made mention of the departure of the children of Israel, and gave instructions concerning his bones.  (Heb_11:22)

When Isaac and Jacob pronounced blessings upon their posterity, they exemplified viewing the future, by faith. When Joseph requested that his bones some day be buried in the land of promise, he was also viewing the future, by faith.

Joseph's journey to leadership in Egypt was marked with alternating battles and blessings. His brothers had betrayed him and sold him into slavery. "Midianite traders passed by; so the brothers . . . sold him to the Ishmaelites for twenty shekels of silver. And they took Joseph to Egypt" (Gen_37:28). Soon, Joseph found blessing under the care of Potiphar, an Egyptian captain who purchased him. "And his master saw that the LORD was with him and that the LORD made all he did to prosper in his hand. So Joseph found favor in his sight, and served him. Then he made him overseer of his house, and all that he had he put in his hand" (Gen_39:3-4).

Yet, another battle arose. Joseph was imprisoned by the lies of Potiphar's wife, who resented Joseph's refusal of her sensual advances. " 'He came in to me to lie with me, and I cried out with a loud voice' . . . Then Joseph's master took him and put him into the prison" (Gen_39:14, Gen_39:20). More blessing came as the Lord granted Joseph favor with the prison keeper. "And the keeper of the prison committed to Joseph's hand all the prisoners . . . because the LORD was with him; and whatever he did, the LORD made it prosper" (Gen_39:22-23). Another battle ensued, as one of Pharoah's servants forgot Joseph's kindness to him in prison. "The chief butler did not remember Joseph, but forgot him. Then it came to pass, at the end of two full years, that Pharaoh had a dream" (Genesis 40:23-41:1). Two years later, Joseph's interpretation of Pharoah's dream would bring Joseph to his position of authority in Egypt. "You shall be over my house, and all my people shall be ruled according to your word; only in regard to the throne will I be greater than you" (Gen_41:40).

Faith in the Lord certainly sustained Joseph and brought him to God's desired place of service and opportunity. Yet, our present verse reveals that Joseph's basic interest was not his own blessing and advancement. Joseph had a heart for the plans and purposes of God. As he viewed the future, he was convinced that the Lord would some day bring His people back to the land of promise. His request to have his bones buried in the land of promise was an expression of his faith in the promises of God. "God will surely visit you, and you shall carry up my bones from here" (Gen_50:25).

Lord God of eternity, as I alternate between the battles and blessings of life, help me to view the future by faith. Remind me that Your everlasting purposes can guide and shape my temporal circumstances, in Jesus name, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2003, 07:38:44 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - October 31:

Moses' Parents Acting Courageously, by Faith:

By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden three months by his parents, because they saw he was a beautiful child; and they were not afraid of the king's command.  (Heb_11:23)

Our present study reveals another strategic illustration of the extensive consequences of walking by faith. Fear is one of the major threats to living as God intends. Faith in God brings the courage that is needed to overcome fear. Moses' parents are outstanding examples of acting courageously, by faith.

Moses' parents ("Amram . . . Jochebed" — Exodus 6:20) faced a dreadful dilemma. Jochebed had just given birth to Moses. Pharoah, who was fearful of the rapidly growing slave population, had previously ordered the death of all male Jewish newborns. "The king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives . . . and he said, 'When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birthstools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live' " (Exo_1:15-16). However, the midwives had faith in the Lord and spared the male babies at birth. "The midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive" (Exo_1:17).

Moses' parents had a similar, courageous faith in God. "By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden three months by his parents . . . and they were not afraid of the king's command." Nevertheless, their baby was still in danger, since Pharoah had also commanded all the Egyptians to destroy any male babies that they might discover. "Pharaoh commanded all his people, saying, 'Every son who is born you shall cast into the river' " (Exo_1:22). When they could no longer effectively hide Moses, Jochebed put him in a simple ark in a place where he might be rescued. "When she could no longer hide him, she took an ark of bulrushes for him, daubed it with asphalt and pitch, put the child in it, and laid it in the reeds by the river's bank" (Exo_2:3). God honored the faith of these courageous parents, allowing the Pharoah's daughter to discover Moses' floating basket and to respond with mercy. "And when she had opened it, she saw the child, and behold, the baby wept. So she had compassion on him" (Exo_2:6).

Moses' parents courageously risked their lives in order to do that which would be pleasing to God. Their action was based upon their faith in God. Whenever necessary, we too can act courageously, if we rely upon our great God. "In God I have put my trust; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?" (Psa_56:11).

Dear faithful Lord, when I am intimidated by the threats or pronouncements of others, please remind me of Your faithfulness to the parents of Moses, that I too might have courage to do that which would please You, through Christ, my Lord, Amen.

Ralph

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2003, 06:10:29 PM »

hanks, BEP, for opening this topic. One of my happy places in Scripture is Genesis chapters 13, 14 and 15. Notice the order in Scripture of three things in these three chapters and then contemplate the unfolding of God's eternal decree in that same order in time.
  Chapter 13--God's promise to Abraham concerning his fleshly seed.

Chapter 14--Abraham's encounter with Melchizedec, a type of Christ

Chapter 15--God's promise to Abraham concerning his heavenly (spiritual) seed.

In that same order, God in time dealt first with Abraham's seed according to the flesh. Genesis 13

Then, the glorious wonder of His appearing and work, Christ
Jesus, Lord of heaven and earth; Him of whom Melchizedec was a type Genesis 14

Thirdly, in the same sequence, the gospel is sent to all Abraham's seed according to the faith of Abraham.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2003, 08:09:27 PM »

Hoekstra Devotion - November 1

Moses Refusing Egypt, Choosing God's People, by Faith:

By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin.  (Heb_11:24-25)

The natural tendency of humanity is to desire privilege and pleasure. Moses certainly had these two abundantly available to him in Egypt. Yet, he demonstrated the impact that trusting in the Lord can have by refusing Egypt and choosing God's people.

When the daughter of Pharoah discovered baby Moses, she decided to raise him as her child. "Moses was born . . . and he was brought up in his father's house for three months. But when he was set out, Pharaoh's daughter took him away and brought him up as her own son" (Act_7:20-21). As an offspring of the palace, Moses had access to the very best of human education, and he became proficient in all that was provided for him. "And Moses was learned in all the wisdom of the Egyptians, and was mighty in words and deeds" (Act_7:22). In terms of conventional earthly perspectives, Moses was guaranteed a life of privilege and pleasure.

However, when he reached the age of relative maturity, his heart was drawn in a distinctively different direction. "But when he was forty years old, it came into his heart to visit his brethren, the children of Israel" (Act_7:23). The wording implies that he had been taught of his link with the Israelites as he was growing up in Pharoah's household. Eventually, his heart was stirred by this connection, and he made a life-shaping decision, by faith. "By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter." He decided to renounce his place of privilege in Pharoah's family and to identify himself with God's people. He was aware that this choice was a renunciation of a pleasure-filled life and would inevitably lead to suffering: "choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin."

To commit to the palace would have been pleasurable, but sinful. Furthermore, those sinful pleasures would have been temporary. On the other hand, the blessings of following the leading of the Lord would last forever. Moses' heavenly perspective was much like the Psalmist "For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand [that is, anyplace else]. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness" (Psa_84:10).

Heavenly Father, help me to discern whenever the offer of human privilege is competing with Your will for my life. Please give me a heart to identify with Your people, even though inconvenience or suffering might result. Strengthen my faith to choose eternal blessings over the passing pleasures of sin, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 02, 2003, 07:56:46 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - November 2

Moses Esteeming Christ's Riches above Egypt's, by Faith:

By faith Moses, when he became of age, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter, choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God than to enjoy the passing pleasures of sin, esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt; for he looked to the reward.  (Heb_11:24-26)

By faith, Moses renounced his place of privilege in Pharoah's family, choosing to identify himself with God's people. He knew that loss and suffering awaited him. Yet, he was strengthened to make this life-shaping decision by esteeming Christ's riches above Egypt's, by faith.

When Moses identified with the Israelites, he was joining himself to the people of the Messiah, the Anointed One (the Christ). From the earliest days, the people of God had been promised an Anointed Deliverer. "And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He [the Savior] shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel . . . I will bless those who bless you, and I will curse him who curses you; and in you [by the coming of Messiah] all the families of the earth shall be blessed . . . The scepter shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh [the Prince of Peace] comes; and to Him shall be the obedience of the people" (Gen_3:15; Gen_12:3; and Gen_49:10).

Yet, this heaven-sent King, as well as His people, would encounter reproach. "He is despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and acquainted with grief. And we hid, as it were, our faces from Him; He was despised, and we did not esteem Him . . . Also the sons of those who afflicted you shall come bowing to you, and all those who despised you shall fall prostrate at the soles of your feet; and they shall call you The City of the LORD, Zion of the Holy One of Israel" (Isa_53:3 and Isa_60:14). In spite of such reproach, Moses joined himself to the Messiah and His people. Moses understood that it was more enriching to stand with a divine, though despised, Messiah than to have all the material treasures of Egypt: "esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt." He made this wise evaluation by considering the eternal consequences: "for he looked to the reward." He anticipated eternal realities that subsequent men of God would powerfully proclaim. "God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever . . . . Whereas you have been forsaken and hated . . . I will make you an eternal excellence, a joy of many generations" (Psa_73:26 and Isa_60:15).

Dear Jesus, the Christ, my Messiah, I want to stand with You and Your people, even if it means sharing in Your reproach. I know that You will strengthen me now and be my portion forever. By Your eternal excellencies make me a joy to others now, as I await with eager anticipation Your everlasting kingdom, Amen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2003, 06:46:36 AM »

Hoekstra Devotion - November 3

Moses Leading Israel Out of Egypt, by Faith:

By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king; for he endured as seeing Him who is invisible.  (Heb_11:28)

Moses left Egypt on two occasions, involving two distinctly different sets of circumstances. On the first occasion, he left Israel behind in Egypt, going out in fear. On the second occasion, he is seen leading Israel out of Egypt, by faith.

Moses' first departure saw him fleeing for his life, fearing what the Pharoah might do to him. Moses' heart had been drawn to the people of God. He went out to consider their situation. "When Moses was grown . . . he went out to his brethren and looked at their burdens. And he saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his brethren" (Exo_2:11). Moses killed the Egyptian and buried him in the sand. When his brethren became aware of this reckless deed, Moses was frightened. "So Moses feared and said, 'Surely this thing is known!' When Pharaoh heard of this matter, he sought to kill Moses. But Moses fled from the face of Pharaoh and dwelt in the land of Midian" (Exo_2:14-15). So, Israel was left in Egypt in bondage, and Moses' desire to see God's people delivered was thwarted.

Moses' second departure found him leaving courageously, with no fear of what Pharoah might do. "By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king." Much had transpired between these two departures. For forty years, Moses had humbly tended sheep on the back side of the desert. "Now Moses kept the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God" (Exo_3:1). There, the Lord revealed Himself to Moses in a burning bush, sending him back into Egypt to demand the release of God's people. "I am the God of your father — the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob . . . Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt" (Exo_3:6, Exo_3:10). So, Moses boldly confronted one of the most powerful leaders in the world. "Thus says the LORD God of Israel: 'Let My people go' " (Exo_5:1). Then, the Lord performed awesome wonders until He caused the will of mighty Pharoah to be broken. "The LORD struck all the firstborn in the land of Egypt . . . So Pharaoh rose in the night . . . Then he called for Moses and Aaron by night, and said, 'Go, serve the LORD as you have said' " (Exo_12:29-31). The ultimate difference in this second departure was that Moses had seen the Lord and had learned to trust in Him. "For he endured as seeing Him who is invisible."

O Lord God, awesome deliverer, I know what it is to run away from situations in fear. I also know what it is to lead out in faith. The difference, Lord, is seeing who You are and what You alone can do. Please reveal Yourself to me that my faith might grow!

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 03, 2003, 06:48:51 AM »

"Be gentle with yourself,
learn to love yourself,
to forgive yourself,
for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others."
                                              ~Wilfred A. Peterson~

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 03, 2003, 04:55:49 PM »

learn to love yourself,
to forgive yourself,
for only as we have the right attitude toward ourselves can we have the right attitude toward others."
                                              ~Wilfred A. Peterson~

Brother Love Smiley

Thanks BEP for your daily messages and thank you Brother Love for the above quote.

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2003, 03:40:58 AM »

Here's a song that I've come across.  Many of you probably know it, but it has been such a blessing to me lately that I felt it would be good to share...

How deep the Father’s love for us,
   How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son,
   And make a wretch His treasure?

How great the pain of searing loss?
   The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
   Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon the cross
   My sin upon His shoulders!
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
   Call out among the scoffers!

It was my sin that held Him there
   Until it was accomplished!
His dying breath has brought me life
   I know that it is finished!

I will not boast in anything;
   No gifts, no power, no wisdom!
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
   His death and resurrection!

Why should I gain from His reward?
   I cannot give an answer!
But this I know with all my heart,
   His wounds have paid my ransom!

God bless!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2003, 03:46:19 AM »

Here's a song that I've come across.  Many of you probably know it, but it has been such a blessing to me lately that I felt it would be good to share...

How deep the Father’s love for us,
   How vast beyond all measure,
That He should give His only Son,
   And make a wretch His treasure?

How great the pain of searing loss?
   The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One
   Bring many sons to glory.

Behold the Man upon the cross
   My sin upon His shoulders!
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice
   Call out among the scoffers!

It was my sin that held Him there
   Until it was accomplished!
His dying breath has brought me life
   I know that it is finished!

I will not boast in anything;
   No gifts, no power, no wisdom!
But I will boast in Jesus Christ,
   His death and resurrection!

Why should I gain from His reward?
   I cannot give an answer!
But this I know with all my heart,
   His wounds have paid my ransom!

God bless!

Amen Allinall, thanks for posting it.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2003, 09:03:57 PM »

learn to love yourself,
to forgive yourself,
                                              ~Wilfred A. Peterson~

Brother Love Smiley

Oklahoma Howdy to Brother Love,

Thanks! My wife saw this and took it to school to share it with her fellow teachers. This poem speaks volumes. My thoughts were fairly simple on this. Jesus forgives us, so we can forgive ourselves and be more effective in HIS service. Thanks again.

In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the