Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286810 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Readers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Readers  (Read 1648 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: December 15, 2006, 08:28:09 PM »

MCGUFFEY's Eclectic Readers are excellant source books for homeschoolers. They were written by Rev. William Holmes McGuffey starting in 1841. Even though these books are rather old the materials in them are still applicable and very useful today in teaching a child.

This first reader of 1841 introduces children to McGuffey's ethical code. The child modeled in this book is prompt, good, kind, honest and truthful. This first book contained fifty-five lessons.

The second reader appeared simultaneously with the first and followed the same pattern. It contained reading and spelling with eighty-five lessons, sixteen pictures and one-hundred sixty-six pages. It outlined history, biology, astronomy, zoology, botany; table manners, behavior towards family, attitudes toward God and teachers, the poor; the great and the good. The duties of youth are stressed. Millions of pioneer men and women were alumni of this second reader college, they were able to read and write English.

The third reader was much more formal. It contained rules for oral reading of it's fifty-seven lessons. This book contained only three pictures and was designed for a more mature mind, of junior high standing today.

The fourth reader was an introduction to good literature. It contained British poetry and used the Bible among it's selections. This text was addressed to the highest grade in schools, it's difficulty compared to that of American secondary schools. It discussed Napoleon Bonaparte, Puritan fathers, women, God, education, religion and philosophy.

The fifth reader was designed for elocutionary exercises to increase articulation, inflection, pitch, accent, rate, emphasis and gesture. It contained poetry and prose by Sigourney, Montgomery, Addison, Irving, Young and Byron.

In the sixth and final reader of 1885, there were 186 selections, 111 great authors were quoted such as Shakespeare, Longfellow, Dickens and Addison. The theme of the selections included several forms of composition, description, narration, argumentation and exposition. In this book there were also seventeen selections from the Bible.

The readers were very moralistic in tone.

This 6 series books can be obtained through Project Gutenberg for free along with a Speller. Just go to:

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

and enter MCGUFFEY in the site search engine.

This series can also be obtained brand new through various online book stores as a complete set.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 07:52:44 AM »

THANKS PASTOR ROGER!

I just saw this and went to the site. I got the text versions first and see that they have much larger PDF versions that probably contain graphics, maybe even like the originals.

I'm very happy to get this link. I hope to review some of the PDF's today and maybe even get a couple of them made into heavy stock books for my grandsons.

THANKS AGAIN!

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 143:8 NASB  Let me hear Your lovingkindness in the morning; For I trust in You; Teach me the way in which I should walk; For to You I lift up my soul.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 08:24:03 AM »

You're most welcome brother. Yes the pdf files on it does contain a picture of the cover and all the original pictures throughout the book.

I forgot about your wanting to do that for your grandsons until just now. Yes, it would make for a wonderful book for them.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the