Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:05:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Eloi,Eloi, lama sabachthani?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Eloi,Eloi, lama sabachthani?  (Read 5082 times)
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2003, 01:39:53 PM »

matthew 27:46
translation=My GOD my GOD,why have you forsaken me?

What does that mean to you?

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2003, 02:44:51 PM »

Jesus Christ asked this after being in pain and agony for three hours and God allowed it in order to fulfill the atonement for all the sins of the world from beginning to end. But God had not forsaken Him and resurrected Him to His Glory. And ours if we are faithful in Christ.

Matthew 27:45.  Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.
 46.  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?
 47.  Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said, This man calleth for Elias.
 48.  And straightway one of them ran, and took a spunge, and filled it with vinegar, and put it on a reed, and gave him to drink.
 49.  The rest said, Let be, let us see whether Elias will come to save him.
 50.  Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.

Matthew Henry's commentary says:

Matthew verses:  45-50 "During the three hours which the darkness continued, Jesus was in agony, wrestling with the powers of darkness, and suffering his Father's displeasure against the sin of man, for which he was now making his soul an offering. Never were there three such hours since the day God created man upon the earth, never such a dark and awful scene; it was the turning point of that great affair, man's redemption and salvation. Jesus uttered a complaint from Psa. xxii. 1."

Psalms 22

1.  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?
 2.  O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not; and in the night season, and am not silent.
 3.  But thou art holy, O thou that inhabitest the praises of Israel.
 4.  Our fathers trusted in thee: they trusted, and thou didst deliver them.

"Hereby he teaches of what use the word of God is to direct us in prayer, and recommends the use of Scripture expressions in prayer. The believer may have tasted some drops of bitterness, but he can only form a very feeble idea of the greatness of Christ's sufferings. Yet, hence he learns something of the Saviour's love to sinners; hence he gets deeper conviction of the vileness and evil of sin, and of what he owes to Christ, who delivers him from the wrath to come. His enemies wickedly ridiculed his complaint. Many of the reproaches cast upon the word of God and the people of God, arise, as here, from gross mistakes. Christ, just before he expired, spake in his full strength, to show that his life was not forced from him, but was freely delivered into his Father's hands. He had strength to bid defiance to the powers of death: and to show that by the eternal Spirit he offered himself, being the Priest as well as the Sacrifice, he cried with a loud voice. Then he yielded up the ghost.
 The Son of God upon the cross, did die by the violence of the pain he was put to. His soul was separated from his body, and so his body was left really and truly dead. It was certain that Christ did die, for it was needful that he should die. He had undertaken to make himself an offering for sin, and he did it when he willingly gave up his life"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 02:55:27 PM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2003, 03:44:31 PM »

Sometimes I don't see God as a merciful God. He allows us to sin, He sends satan to the world to tempt us so He can save us. To me, it's like a man setting fire to a house so he can run in and rescue people. I'm currently doing a bible study on Samuel and God punishes Saul for making a mistake. Instead of being forgiven, God sends an evil spirit to Saul to make him hate David and try to kill him. I know why God allows people to be cruel to each other but then He punishes us for not being perfect. I can see why some people turn away from God.
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2003, 07:26:31 AM »

The pain Jesus indured for our sins,still brings me sorrow for GOD loved us so much he sent his own son for us to die,what more needs to be said..Praise GOD!

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
PhilMun

Mind your words!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2003, 09:11:46 PM »

Jabez

What Jesus suffered until His death on the cross is beyond words! That is the punishment you and me were supposed to get for our sins.

This site may be of interest to you (if you have not yet seen it):

http://www.cfpeople.org/Apologetics/page51a024.html

Live today as if you stand before God tomorrow! God has no partiality!!
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2003, 01:00:17 AM »

The pain Jesus indured for our sins,still brings me sorrow for GOD loved us so much he sent his own son for us to die,what more needs to be said..Praise GOD!

Amen.    Roy.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2003, 05:01:11 AM »

This means to me that my sin is paid for completely, as Christ's sacrifice was wholly acceptable to God's demand.  He became sin for me.  In becoming sin, God turned from Him - Christ died a spiritual death - separated for the first time from His Father.  This was God's judgment for sin.  Jesus paid it.  What does it mean to me?  That I will never have to face the death that Jesus already did, and was raised, living, both physically and spiritually.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Corpus
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2003, 09:50:17 AM »

Jabez,

I posted this once before here, but it was pre-apocalyptic-ChristiansUnite-collapse, so sorry for those of you old-timers who've already seen it. I'm not saying the following is true (I'm frankly not sure), but it offers some insight into the unique Orthodox view of this.

"Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour.  And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, Lmana sabachthani.  Some of them that stood there, when they heard that, said:  This man calleth for Elias."      Matt:27-45-47

All versions of the Gospels have retained these words in the original tongue and given them a different meaning.  Matthew, according to EASTERN version, does not translate them, because he wrote to the people who had seen Jesus and heard Him preaching.  It also seems probable that the later writers did not agree on its exact meaning when they translated them into Greek.  This term even at present is only used by the Aramaic speaking people in Assyria, the same language which the Galileans spoke at the time of our Lord.  This phrase in Aramaic means, "My God, My God, for this I was kept. (this was my destiny--I was born for this)."

Jesus did not quote the Psalms.  If He had He would have said these words in Hebrew instead of Aramaic, and if He had translated them from Hebrew He would have used the Aramaic word "nashatani" which means "forsaken me," instead of the word "shabacktani." which in this case means, "kept me."  Even the soldiers who stood by the cross did not understand what Jesus said in that hour of agony and suffering.  They thought that He was calling on Elijah because the word Elijah in Aramaic is "Elia," which is similar to that for God, "Eli."

In those last moments of suffering Jesus watched the crowd, which was composed of Rabbis, Priests, men and women of Jerusalem, who had come up to watch Him die.  Some insulted Him.  Others spitting in His face, and others calling Him names and challenging His claim that He is a man of God but instead that He was a malefactor and sinner.  Jesus only made a statement to Himself and to the friends who were also standing and hiding in the crowds near the Cross.  That He was born for that hour that He may bear witness to the truth and open the way for the others who were to be crucified--that that was His destiny.  That there was nothing else that could have given such a glorious victory as the Cross.

The disciples and women who were from Galilee never for a moment could have thought that Jesus said that God had forsaken Him.  How could He say that when He had told His disciples that the whole world would forsake Him, even they, but that the Father would be with Him.  When He told Peter that if He wished He could bring angels to fight for Him, and when He said, "Father, let it be Thy wish if I should drink this cup."  These words, "Eli, Eli, Lmana sabachthani," even today are used by Assyrians when they suffer and die unjustly.  Instead of complaint and dissatisfaction, they leave everything to God.  They believe that it is God's desire that they should pass through such experiences.
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2003, 12:33:43 PM »

Aside for the pain and suffering Jesus suffered for sure, this does not compare to the horrible expereince of spending the euivalent of an eternity in hell, for all those whose sins he paid for.

And the words why hast thou forsaken me? speaks of being separated for the equivalence of an eternity, from His Heavenly Father (the Holy Spirit) I am not sure any of us can perceive nor understand the significance or plumb the depths of what He really experienced when paying this debt to satisfy a just God.

But, we read at Rom 8:11, that that same Spirit which raised Jesus from dead, dwells in us, and will also give life to our mortal bodies.

Now, not to change the subject, but, Christians need to reconcile a truth, which is revealed in this passage of scripture, concerning Jesus spending the equivalent of an eternity in hell, for those whom He saved.

And that is, did He die, literally for the whole world, and if He did, and it is God who grants forgiveness of sin, faith to believe, why do men perish, since scriptures commands men to repent and believe.

If Jesus died for the sins of the whole world, then men do not perish for their sins, but for one sin only, and that is the sin of unbelief, which is "blasphamy of the Holy Spirit", and if men are saved it is because that is the sin, which has been dealt with, because all other sins have been paid for.

Jesus did not die for just some of the sins men comit, He either died for all of the sins of His people or for the sins of the whole world.

Here is a verse, I always think of, when considering this matter.

Mat 1
20  But while he thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto him in a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto thee Mary thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
21  And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

This seems to indicate He died for His people only, those whom God, gives Him are His people according to Jhn 6:37, and these are the only ones who are raised with eternal life at the last day.  Jhn6:39-40

Any thoughts?

Blessings,

Petro

eliyosef
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2003, 01:52:10 PM »

Psalms 22

1.  My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? why art thou so far from helping me, and from the words of my roaring?

the way to say Why have you forsaken me in hebrew and in Psalms 22:1 is Eli, Eli, Lama Azavtani
What Jesus said on the cross was hebrew but does not mean why have you forsaken me. the word "Sabachthani" come from the root word of "Zebach" which means "to slaughter"  what jesus said to G-d was My G-d, My G-d, Why have you slaughtered me?
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2003, 10:56:16 PM »

Jesus spoke Aramaic which is different from Hebrew. Is that the same translation?
eliyosef
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2003, 01:01:10 PM »

Heidi, yes Aramaic is a different language than Hebrew i will agree with you on that but The words he said were Definately Hebrew because if you look at the Hebrew construct of Psalms 22:1 it is the same as the construct of jesus' words on the cross. the words of Psalms 22:1 "Eli, Eli, Lama Azavtani" and what jesus said on the cross was "Eli, Eli, Lama Sabachthani".. he definately spoke in Hebrew and he definately cried out to G-d to say "why have you Slaughtered me."
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2003, 03:47:40 PM »

Whatever His exact lament was, He was definitely feeling the pain and agony of His crucifixion. But if He never existed, why are we quibbling with these words?
eliyosef
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2003, 02:01:47 PM »

accuracy counts Grin
Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2003, 05:09:41 PM »

Actually, faith is what counts. "Blessed are those who believe without seeing." Your beliefs, Eliyoseph, seem to be contingent on every word. If one of them is wrong, your whole belief system will crumble.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the