Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:06:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286777 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Question to anybody...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question to anybody...  (Read 1918 times)
tpique1

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2006, 10:02:09 PM »

Is the word "heathen" offensive to you as a Christian?

It's used in the Bible over 140 times, and Jesus personally used the term twice in the NT. Heathen is defined in the looser sense as: an unconverted member of a people or nation that does not acknowledge the God of the Bible.

Some guy on another board reported me to the moderators for disrespecting him by calling him (purely innocently) a heathen.

I was told to use the more politically correct term: unbeliever.

If Jesus would have called the Canaanite woman a dog in America today, I wonder how people would react? What if Jesus were to use the term heathen? What if Paul were to use the term sodomite?

How politically correct do you have to get with the Gospel before it isn't the Gospel anymore?

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 10:17:26 PM »

PC is a pain.

Heathen in the Bible more correctly means a tribe, more specifically a non-Jewish one. Modern dictionaries however describe the word as meaning "strange or uncivilized". So I could see how some may be offended by it.

To answer your first question  ....  no I am not offended no matter what I am called. I am secure in what and who I am so such words do not offend. They simply tell me who I am talking with.

Unfortunately Jesus would probably be treated in the same manner now as He was then by many people.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 12:33:41 AM »

Ditto

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
twistedLinen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 05:03:19 AM »

you may not have meant it to offend that person, but it turned out that way, so it was a provocative word. Since we're in a christian forum, or maybe not a christian one but the fact that you yourself is a christian you should at least consider the part of the other person. You know there are people who are easily offended by words. so just be careful..

Ephesians 4:29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
Len

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 09:23:37 AM »

There are many versions of the Bible and maybe some do not use "heathen" but another word that means the same but does not offend.

The thing is, "offense" is in the eye of the offended. Much like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". And typically when someone is offended by Scripture, it is a result of one of two things...ignorance of the Word or lack of repentant heart.

When I go to church on Sunday mornings, I get a good dose of God's Word. Most of the time I "get my toes stepped on". It does not really offend me because I know that I am in need of change, growth. I don't want my "ears tickled". I want my "toes stepped on". I want to know God's truth and how it applies to my life. The result is a growing, joyous life.

But I know that there are many who don't like that. Does that mean that the truth should be compromised? "May it never be!" There are some who will never be reached because they want only what they want. We can never justify compromising God's Word in the name of not offending those people. The best thing to do at that point is to pray that the Holy Spirit would soften their heart, enabling them to receive truth in whatever words it may come.

Now if you are one on one with someone, I think it's OK to be "tactful" but still uncompromising. THAT can sometimes be difficult if not impossible. But that's a problem to be dealt with by the Holy Spirit, not us.

"The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore, I will hope in Him."
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 11:32:25 AM »

Amen Len!

As a child I relished the moments with my Dad where I received patient yet firm instruction. I felt the love and concern for me to do what is right. That is how I see it when I am receiving the word. Our Father is giving us instructions and sometimes it does hurt but it is out of His love for us that He wants us to do what is right.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Rookieupgrade1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 11:50:42 AM »

Our loveing Father reprimands us as He sees fit. Just as Christ used the term Heathen......sometimes the reprimand is harsh. I think that the closer the relationship with God id the more Harsh these reprimands become.

At that point we are not going to run away from out loveing Father because he smacks us in the head for doing something really stupid. But the non-believer on the other hand needs to feel His love and kindness and learn that he or she needs to work to become more like Christ before the use of harsh terms.

Now we enter into the not so general area of this principal which is the individual who needs a good tounge lashing to get their attention. Christ used harsh terms redilly on those that proclaimed to follow God and really did not. He used terms that really got their attention an pointed out their errors. He also used kindness and love when the situation called for it.

We should take the time to get to know the individual we are dealling with before we committ to one method or the other.

G

Gary

just doing my best to follow..........
Whitestone

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 10:45:16 AM »

I wonder if the Pharisees were offended when Jesus called them snakes, vipers, whitewashed sepulchers and sons of the devil...I wonder if the ""leaders" in the temple were offended when He violently sacked their operation and called it a den of thieves. I wonder if we have a completely twisted idea of what is and is not inappropriate offensiveness.

WS
Len

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 11:51:46 AM »

I wonder if the Pharisees were offended when Jesus called them snakes, vipers, whitewashed sepulchers and sons of the devil...I wonder if the ""leaders" in the temple were offended when He violently sacked their operation and called it a den of thieves. I wonder if we have a completely twisted idea of what is and is not inappropriate offensiveness.

WS

I posted above that "offense" is in the eye of the offended. So I think you may have a point.

I bet they were offended. It was that mindset that plotted to have Jesus killed.

"The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore, I will hope in Him."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the