Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 09:52:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Computer Hardware and Software (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Firefox 2.0 Release Candidate 2 has been officially released.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Firefox 2.0 Release Candidate 2 has been officially released.  (Read 8541 times)
Joey

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2006, 05:28:09 AM »

For anyone who may like trying browsers in the early stages. I will probably download this later today, since when a download like this is released for anyone to try, it is normally pretty stable

http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/2.0/releasenotes/

Download link

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/bonecho/all-rc.html
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2006, 07:27:09 AM »

Hello Brother Joey,

THANKS!  I had no idea they were getting this close to a major release. 2.0 is supposed to have huge changes and improvements.

Release Candidate 2 also means they are probably getting pretty close to a final release with nearly all of the bugs and problems worked out. I also suspect that there will be major security improvements.

Thanks for the links. I'll have to decide whether to wait for the full release or not, and much might have to do with some favorite extensions that I use every day. Thanks again.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 10:8-10 NASB  But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2006, 11:03:49 AM »

I'll have to decide whether to wait for the full release or not, and much might have to do with some favorite extensions that I use every day.

That is my concern, too, when going to a new release. I like to wait awhile until the extensions can be updated to be compatible with the new release so that I still have use of them.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2006, 09:38:44 PM »

I read the release notes and it sounds very promising. I probably don't know about much in their list of improvements. There is supposed to be more independence from the hooks to Microsoft that did involve security. If I understand correctly, much will be based on a new, faster, and much more secure version of Java. There is a built-in spell checker that can be used on forums or anywhere else.

I have been looking at the new and updated extensions, and it appears that many of them are upgrading to be compatible with Firefox 2.0. Some of the extensions will no longer be necessary because the functions are already built into the browser. I'll guess that it will only be a matter of weeks before the average user can switch and be able to keep all of their functions - PLUS SOME.

I can't find anything about users having to install a complete new version of Java, so I assume that the biggest and new changes are built in. Regardless, it sounds like fun.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 5:8-9 NASB  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.  Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »

I downloaded the new version, but I haven't insalled it yet. If anyone has please let me know how it works.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 12:26:23 AM »

Sister Maria,

I'm thinking about going ahead with it. I'll let you know. There's only a couple more things that I want to check. My favorite extensions are ready to go with the new version. There's nothing dangerous about trying a release candidate. It might even be fun, and it will auto-update when the next versions come out.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 05:33:30 AM »

I have installed this new version and so far, i like it. Its been stable so far which is the main thing. One of my themes which i use all the time didn't work, but the few extensions that i do have work just fine. As i use firefox 99% of the time, any problems that this browser may have, i am sure i will soon stumble across them. But knowing FF, they will be few and far between

A screen shot of my new browser

I copied this from the Mozilla web site. It will give you a idea what is new and their are some important changes with this new browser

What's New in this Development Milestone

There is a lot in Firefox 2 RC 2 that you can play around with and give us feedback on:

Visual Refresh: Firefox 2's theme and user interface have been updated to improve usability without altering the familiarity of the browsing experience. For instance, toolbar buttons now glow when you hover over them. We will continue to improve the look and feel throughout the release candidate process.

Built-in phishing protection: Phishing Protection warns users when they encounter suspected Web forgeries, and offers to return the user to their home page. Phishing Protection is turned on by default, and works by checking sites against either a local or online list of known phishing sites. This list is automatically downloaded and regularly updated when the Phishing Protection feature is enabled.

Enhanced search capabilities: Search term suggestions will now appear as users type in the integrated search box when using the Google, Yahoo! or Answers.com search engines. A new search engine manager makes it easier to add, remove and re-order search engines, and users will be alerted when Firefox encounters a website that offers new search engines that the user may wish to install.

Improved tabbed browsing: By default, Firefox will open links in new tabs instead of new windows, and each tab will now have a close tab button. Power users who open more tabs than can fit in a single window will see arrows on the left and right side of the tab strip that let them scroll back and forth between their tabs. The History menu will keep a list of recently closed tabs, and a shortcut lets users quickly re-open an accidentally closed tab.

Resuming your browsing session: The Session Restore feature restores windows, tabs, text typed in forms, and in-progress downloads from the last user session. It will be activated automatically when installing an application update or extension, and users will be asked if they want to resume their previous session after a system crash.

Previewing and subscribing to Web feeds: Users can decide how to handle Web feeds (like this one), either subscribing to them via a Web service or in a standalone RSS reader, or adding them as Live Bookmarks. My Yahoo!, Bloglines and Google Reader come pre-loaded as Web service options, but users can add any Web service that handles RSS feeds.

Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.

Live Titles: When a website offers a microsummary (a regularly updated summary of the most important information on a Web page), users can create a bookmark with a "Live Title". Compact enough to fit in the space available to a bookmark label, they provide more useful information about pages than static page titles, and are regularly updated with the latest information. There are several websites that can be bookmarked with Live Titles, and even more add-ons to generate Live Titles for other popular websites.

Improved Add-ons manager: The new Add-ons manager improves the user interface for managing extensions and themes, combining them both in a single tool.

JavaScript 1.7: JavaScript 1.7 is a language update introducing several new features such as generators, iterators, array comprehensions, let expressions, and destructuring assignments. It also includes all the features of JavaScript 1.6.

Extended search plugin format: The Firefox search engine format now supports search engine plugins written in Sherlock and OpenSearch formats and allows search engines to provide search term suggestions.

Updates to the extension system: The extension system has been updated to provide enhanced security and to allow for easier localization of extensions.

Client-side session and persistent storage: New support for storing structured data on the client side, to enable better handling of online transactions and improved performance when dealing with large amounts of data, such as documents and mailboxes. This is based on the WHATWG specification for client-side session and persistent storage.

SVG text: Support for the svg:textpath specification enables SVG text to follow a curve or shape.

New Windows installer: Based on Nullsoft Scriptable Install System, the new Windows installer resolves many long-standing issues.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 07:07:58 AM »

Wow, I use FireFox 100% of the time and really like it already but I think that I am going to like it even more with all the new features you listed above. Those look like some really great changes.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 07:20:37 AM »

Thanks Brother Joey!

You just convinced me to go ahead with the new one. I'll install it sometime today. One of my favorite extensions that I use all the time is ScrapBook, and it's already updated for use with Firefox 2.0. I know that the huge selection of extensions really make Firefox a lot of fun. BUT, Firefox alone represents a big upgrade from Internet Explorer.

So far, I would compare the quality of the programmers of Firefox with anyone, including the commercial programs. In fact, I think they are better. The same is true for other "Open Source" type programs like Open Office. We're talking about OUTSTANDING, first class FREE software.

Love In Christ,
Tom

3 John 1:2-4 NASB  Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth. I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

Joey

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 07:37:13 AM »

Thanks Brother Joey!

You just convinced me to go ahead with the new one. I'll install it sometime today. One of my favorite extensions that I use all the time is ScrapBook, and it's already updated for use with Firefox 2.0. I know that the huge selection of extensions really make Firefox a lot of fun. BUT, Firefox alone represents a big upgrade from Internet Explorer.

So far, I would compare the quality of the programmers of Firefox with anyone, including the commercial programs. In fact, I think they are better. The same is true for other "Open Source" type programs like Open Office. We're talking about OUTSTANDING, first class FREE software.

Love In Christ,
Tom

3 John 1:2-4 NASB  Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. For I was very glad when brethren came and testified to your truth, that is, how you are walking in truth. I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

Your welcomed Brother Tom. Let me know what you think, once you have been using it a little. So far, i'm really impressed with it.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2006, 06:38:17 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I've had the new version installed on my computer now for about 8 hours. I must say that it wasn't any trouble at all to upgrade, and most of my extensions are still good and work. Right now, I'll say that it is stable, fast, and much better with more features. I haven't even tried some of the new things yet.

I'm familiar with "Live Bookmarks" because I've used them before. This is just a real quick way to get a list of news feeds. It shows you just a title for a news story, and you can click on the ones that you want to read completely.  "Live Bookmarks" does not give you a brief of the story, so it doesn't do what many news-readers do. BUT, there are a couple of other choices for news that are already built in if you want more than just a news headline. I haven't tried it yet, so I don't know how good it is - the Google News Reader is built into the browser. "My Yahoo" is also built into the browser, so there are two other news options without buying or adding news programs. I think that I will try the Google News Reader and see what it does. One always has the option to switch back to the quicker and more limited "Live Bookmarks". I might also add there are other news options built into Thunderbird if you use that as your FREE email program. You can subscribe to news feeds in Thunderbird and get them like you get email. So, the folks who want to stay completely up to date with the latest news have 4 options between Firefox and Thunderbird - both completely FREE and excellent programs.

Everything I've seen so far in Firefox 2.0RC2 is slick, faster, and more powerful than Firefox 1.5.0.7. The menus are better and choices light up as you move your mouse over them. The bookmark system is much better, has a cleaner look, and might have some editing features I haven't tried yet. The new Firefox also has a spell checker. It does work just fine, but I have another spell checker that I like better. There might be more improvements planned for future versions of the spell checker, and I will try it again. I think that I got spoiled with the interface of the other spell checker I've used for a long time, and I already have many spellings from the Holy Bible already in it. I would be willing to spend the time to add Bible words to the Firefox dictionary if the interface was a little bit more friendly. For many, the already installed spell checker in Firefox will be fine, and it does work well. New dictionaries are also being made for it right now.

Overall, I'm very impressed with everything I've tried in the new Firefox. It is a slick, professional product that's FREE, and I have no doubt that it will compete with any of the commercial products. In other words, I expect Firefox and Thunderbird to keep their number ONE ratings from many reviews.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Romans 5:17-18 NASB  For if by the transgression of the one, death reigned through the one, much more those who receive the abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.  So then as through one transgression there resulted condemnation to all men, even so through one act of righteousness there resulted justification of life to all men.

Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 05:19:18 AM »

I used FireFox 2.0, but I didn't like is much as 1.5   Roll Eyes

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 12:20:56 AM »

I used FireFox 2.0, but I didn't like is much as 1.5   Roll Eyes

Sister, a lot might depend on what extensions you want to use or are using. Many of the newest extensions are really sharp, and they depend on the power of the new browser engine. It also ends some security problems. Much might also depend on how you have your overall system set up and your connection type. I still have the old and slow dial-up, and Firefox 2.0 is faster for my system. Folks with the lightning speed connections might not even notice the extra speed that's possible with Firefox 2.0, but it made a huge difference for me.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 111:4 NASB  He has made His wonders to be remembered; The LORD is gracious and compassionate.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the