Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:35:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Parenting (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Family Values and Dedication
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Family Values and Dedication  (Read 3022 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2006, 12:21:51 AM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I hope there is a lot of participation in this thread, mainly because it is an important topic we should all think about and talk about. Please don't anyone think that the purpose here is to point any fingers, assign blame, or make this a negative conversation. My intentions are the opposite, and I hope that those who participate in this thread think about these issues for positive change in our families.

1 - Generally, can it be said that less and less attention and dedication to the things of the LORD is a reality in the Christian families of today? YES - I think this is a true statement, and I would be talking about overall Christian teaching and Christian leadership within the family on a daily basis. I would be talking about simple things like family devotions together, family prayer together at least before every meal, and dedication to teaching the things of the LORD within the family. So, I'm not just talking about trying to get everyone to church on Sunday for an hour or two each week, rather every day actions to show GOD the proper honor and make JESUS CHRIST the most important topic in that home.

2 - I am a grandfather, and I will tell you that I came from a family with parents who were dedicated to GOD in the raising of their children every single day. I give thanks for them and know that I was a very lucky child to have parents with their family priorities in order for the LORD. I will quickly admit that I didn't do nearly as good and dedicated a job for my children, and I'm almost sure there is an overall trend to do less and less within the family for the LORD. I don't say this to give any excuse for my failures, rather as an important topic that is worthy of discussion for all Christians.

3 - I could have offered all kinds of other EXCUSES for some of my failures, but the plain and blunt truth probably involves a change of priorities in our Christian homes that isn't good. These changes of priorities appear to be getting greater and greater while the dedication and time spent for the LORD in every day family life is getting less and less. It is being said that grown children from Christian families are less and less literate about the Holy Bible and the things of the LORD. Is this true? YES - I think that it is true, so what is the cause? OR, a better question might be what excuses are we giving?

4 - Generally, was it 30 or 40 years ago when priorities started changing for Christian families? One of the excuses that I gave was working shift work and sometimes having to work 2 and 3 jobs to get the bills paid. This might sound like a pretty good excuse, but it really isn't in most cases. Why was I working 2 and 3 jobs while my children were young? We wanted more than what we needed, and we had to pay for things like bigger houses, better cars, and all kinds of things that WERE NOT necessities. SO, did the THINGS take priority over the Christian training and Christian leadership of the family? I plead GUILTY! I might offer another excuse that might make me feel better, but it would be just another EXCUSE: my children probably got more Christian training and attention than many other children did. This should be recognized as just another EXCUSE and COP-OUT for a responsibility and dedication to the LORD that was neglected because of THINGS. Generally, is this true and is the responsibility and dedication still declining? YES - I think this is a true statement.

5 - Is there a valid excuse for grown children from Christian parents to be Biblically illiterate? Don't we all know that the answer is "NO!" Do we know yet that many problems with young people is directly because of neglect in teaching the things of the LORD? YES - we know that! Do we know there is an overall decline in the morals of our society and hard facts that show the results of a decline in morals? YES - the hard statistics are staggering, and they many times result in grief and misery for those who neglected their Christian family responsibilities.

6 - Do most Christians understand and believe that children are a gift from GOD, and those children belong to GOD? YES - I think that most Christian parents understand this basic Biblical principle. In all reality, hasn't GOD appointed us to be caretakers of the children that HE gave us? YES - this is a true statement. Is there anything more important than bringing a child up in the things of the LORD? NO - CHRIST is to be the head of the home and the highest priority of the home. Is there many times a horrible price to pay when we neglect our most basic Christian responsibilities within our families? YES!

Brothers and Sisters, I hope this topic is worthy of thought, prayer, discussion, and action. I plead GUILTY first, so if there are any fingers to point, I pointed at myself first. Please join in and share your thoughts. How much peace and joy would be possible if we could all say 2 Timothy 4:7-8?

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Timothy 4:7-8 NASB  I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith; in the future there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day; and not only to me, but also to all who have loved His appearing.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2006, 01:56:10 AM »

Amen brother. I think that many of us can plead guilty to this. I know that I am one of those. The answer to this is love. Do we love the Lord enough to follow His instructions? Do we love our children enough to insure that they are on solid ground in the Lord?

This should be our priority and not the things of this world. It is easy for us to fall prey to putting our priorities in the wrong order. We love our families so we feel the need to provide them with many things of this world, dvd players, video games, TV's, two brand new cars or more, maybe even a boat and home twice the size that we really need. In order to do so we sacrifice. Both parents end up working at least one job each and maybe even two or three just to have all things.

I found myself doing just that, working many long hours and spending many months away from my family. Then when I was with my family I found myself putting my priorties elsewhere and making excuses for not doing the things that we should.

It is important that we realise that we need to put emphasis in both ours and our families lives in the things of God. If we truly love our families we need to consider the spiritual health of that family.

As I posted in another thread here (Restore Christian America) we can see the results in the U.S. in general of not having the proper training in the lives of our young people. This responsibilty does not lie with schools only. It is the foundation and responsibility of the Christian family and it begins and ends right at home.

When we ignore or fail in this then we fail our children leaving them open to the influence of the sinful things of this world.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 02:00:28 AM »

Something that I think would be appropriate and applicable to this thread is a post that I made some time ago that emphasises the role of the parent in God's eyes.

God has delegated the authority and responsibility to teach and raise children to the parents first. Parents can delegate their authority to teach and raise children to someone else, but they can never delegate their responsibility to teach their children to anyone else. God will hold parents responsible for what education their children receive (whether from teachers, books, projects, or peers). To whom much is given, much is required. We have a free choice in this country to not send our children to an ungodly public school—we will, all the more, be responsible. Remember, our children are dying souls entrusted to our care!

I. The raising of children is delegated to parents by God:

1. A. Psalm 127:3-5 (“Behold, children are a gift of the Lord; the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one’s youth. How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them; they shall not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gates.”)

2. B. Gen. 33:5, 48:8-9; Isa.8:18; Heb. 2:13 (“Children whom the Lord has given me”)

3. C. Matt. 22:21 (Render to Caesar that which is Caesar’s, and unto God that which is God’s—our children are God’s)

4. D. Training of children was not delegated to the state. The only Biblical accounts of states education were coerced: i.e. Moses, Joseph, Daniel, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.

II. Children, however, are still considered by God to be His (Therefore, children are a gift of stewardship and parents do not own the children):

1. A. Ezekiel 16:20-21 (“You slaughtered My children and offered them up to idols ...”

2. B. Psalm 139:13-16; Job 10:8-12; Isaiah 49:1,5; Jeremiah 1:5; Luke 1:41,44 (God’s claim to unborn children)

III. God has given us certain conditions we are commanded to meet when raising children (part of our stewardship responsibility):

1. A. Ephesians 6:4 (“Fathers, do not provoke your children to wrath, but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.”) Fathers have the greatest responsibility in training their children in the Lord and disciplining them. Are fathers “provoking” their children by sending them to public school?

2. B. Deuteronomy 6:6-9 (also see Deuteronomy 4:9, 11:18-21) We are commanded to diligently teach our children God’s commandments and principles all the time. Sunday school is not enough—children in public school are taught to think as non-christians thirty or more hours a week.

3. C. Psalm 78:1-11 (Teach God’s principles to your children all the time so they will teach their children and so “that they should put their confidence in God and not forget the works of God.”)

4. D. Exodus 13:8,14; Joshua 4:20-22,24 (Teach you children what God has done).

5. E. Proverbs 6:20-23 (Children’s responsibility to obey parents’ teachings who in turn, should be teaching God’s principles)

6. F. Psalm 1:1-2 (Meditate on God’s law day and night); Proverbs 23:7 (“For as a man thinks, so is he”) Children in public school are being taught to think like non-Christians.

7. G. II Corinthians 10:5 (Take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ)

8. H. Isaiah 54:13 (“And all your children shall be taught of the Lord; and great shall be the peace of your children.”); John 21:15 (“Feed My lambs” and “Feed My sheep”).

9. I. Jeremiah 10:12 (“Thus saith the Lord, learn not the way of heathen nations.”) Isn’t that what our children are learning in the public schools?

10. J. Colossians 3:1-3 (“Keep seeking the things above, where Christ is . . . set your mind on things above, not on the things that are on the earth.”) The things above are God’s words recorded in Scripture. The Bible is the “blueprint” for all areas of life.

11. K. Matt. 16:23 (Peter, thinking like a humanist, told Jesus he wouldn’t have to die. Jesus said, “Get behind me Satan! You are a stumbling block to me: for you are not setting your mind on God’s interests, but man’s.”

12. L. Matt. 22:37 (“You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your should, and with all your mind. This is the greatest and foremost commandment.”) How can our children love God with their mind when public school trains their minds to ignore God?

13. M. Luke 6:40 (“A pupil is not above his teacher but everyone after he has been fully trained, will be like his teacher—a blind man cannot guide a blind man, can he? Will they not both fall into a pit?”) Are spiritually blind teachers teaching our children and leading them astray?

14. N. Romans 12:2 (“Be not conformed to the pattern of this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”) Public schools conform our children to the pattern of this world.

15. O. Prov. 22:6 (“Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old, he will not depart from it.”) We need to train our children in God’s ways now so they will walk in righteousness as adults.

16. P. I Samuel 15:1-23 (“To obey is better than sacrifice.”) Are we trying to make a “sacrifice” to God by sending our children to public school to “save souls” while disobeying God’s clear commands to us concerning raising our children?

IV. Good versus bad “socialization” of children:

1. A. Proverbs 13:20 (“He who walks with wise men, will be wise but a companion of fools will suffer harm”)

2. B. I Corinthians 15:33 (“Be not deceived; bad company corrupts good morals”)

V. Content of true education:

1. A. Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:7 (“Fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge”)

2. B. Proverbs 2:6, 9:10 (“The Lord gives wisdom; from His mouth comes understanding.”)

3. C. Colossians 1:16-17, 2:3 (All things created by Him and for Him, he holds all together.) James 1:5 (In Christ are all treasures of wisdom)

4. D. II Timothy 3:15-17 (“. . .continue in the things you have learned and become convinced of . . . and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.”)

5. E. II Tim. 2:15 (“Study to show yourself approved to God, handling accurately the Word of truth.”)

6. F. James 3:13-18 (Wisdom not from above is earthly, natural, demonic. Wisdom from above is “pure, peaceable, gentle, reasonable, full of mercy and good fruits, unwavering, without hypocrisy.”) Whose wisdom are your children being taught?

7. G. Psalm 119:97-101 (The goal of education is to train children in God’s law so they can govern themselves, be wiser than their enemies, have more insight than their teachers, understand more than the aged).

8. H. Matthew 18:6 (Whoever harms one of these little ones who believe in Me, it would be better for Him that a millstone hung about his neck and he drowned in the sea.) Are we harming our children if we send them to public school?

Thoughts to remember: God’s truth and His principles are the foundation of all knowledge; children must not only be taught to believe as Christians but also to think as Christians; God’s principles must be taught to children in a comprehensive manner on a daily basis; God’s truth speaks to every academic discipline. Where would Satan like our children to be taught? Sending our children to modern public education is like playing Russian roulette with their souls!

“I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.” III John 4

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 02:35:53 AM »

AMEN BROTHER ROGER!

I think this is a great start to a critical, top priority discussion for Christians. I'm very happy that you quoted many beautiful portions of Scripture that are an ultimate source of instructions for Godly parents. There is a lot of meat in the study of these portions of Scripture, and they are all worthy of the time it takes to understand them.

Brother, thanks for a meaningful way to start this discussion. I hope and pray that all Christian parents study these portions of Scripture as time permits and join in this discussion with us. I'm hoping and praying right now that GOD leads us into a Bible study and discussion that will positively impact all of our families. This is GOD'S will for us, so I know HE will help us if we just pray and yield.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Galatians 4:4-6 NASB  But when the fullness of the time came, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the Law, so that He might redeem those who were under the Law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. Because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying, "Abba! Father!"

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the