Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:30:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Psalms
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Psalms  (Read 43433 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2006, 11:51:59 AM »

100. "I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts."

The lowliest man who has the Bible in his heart knows more than the sage philosophers of old. True wisdom is acquired in the path of heavenly precepts.

101. "I have refrained my feet from every evil way, that I might keep Your word."

The blessed man maintains an undeviating course of godliness. Let us diligently mark the perilous way of evil. Let us flee from it as from a pitfall. So shall we keep the path of safety and pure joy.

102. "I have not departed from Your judgments; for You have taught me."

Unless we are apt pupils in God's school we shall not clearly see the heavenward road, and quickly shall we be beguiled by error's snares. It is a happy profession, You have taught me. It may be added, Therefore I am above the reach of harm.

103. "How sweet are Your words unto my taste! yes, sweeter than honey to my mouth!"

Those who make the law their constant feast find in it delicious relish. The heart is more refreshed than the palate can be by the sweetest luxury that nature knows.

104. "Through Your precepts I get understanding; therefore I hate every false way."

It is a solid truth that understanding is obtained by diligent adherence to God's precepts. The sure result is hatred of all false ways. May the Lord teach us, and cause us to walk in truth!

105. "Your word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."

Our path is often through a cloudy land. Safe guidance is provided in the Word. Those who hold this lamp shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life. It will lead to the home in which there is no need of the sun or of the moon to lighten, but the Lord is the light thereof.

106. "I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep Your righteous judgments."

All means should be employed to bind us to unbroken obedience. The vows by which we are consecrated to God's service should stand as a barrier against every straying step. God's covenant of grace is confirmed by oath. Thus, also, should our holy walk be ratified.

107. "I am afflicted very much; quicken me, O Lord, according to Your word."

When afflictions press heavily, the surest relief arises from earnest prayer. Let our petition be for insight into the life-imparting Word.

108. "Accept, I beseech You, the free-will offerings of my mouth, O Lord, and teach me Your judgments."

We should present ourselves, our every faculty and power as a whole burnt-offering to the Lord. But especially, we should bring the calves of our lips. The sacrifice of prayer and praise should never cease. May the Lord of His free grace accept our service! May it be perfumed by the incense of Christ's blood! In this exercise may we advance in heavenly knowledge!

109. "My soul is continually in my hand; yet I do not forget Your law."

The believer counts not his life dear to himself, so that he may finish his course with joy. He is always in the very jaws of death. He lives with wings outstretched to fly away. Paul testified; I die daily. In the extremity of persecution, the fervent desire was to know what God would have him to do.

110. "The wicked have laid a snare for me; yet I erred not from Your precepts."

No plots of the ungodly can compel deviation from God's law. The right way may seem to be beset with perils, but let it be resolutely chosen. Its end is happiness and peace.

111. "Your testimonies have I taken as an heritage forever; for they are the rejoicing of my heart."

The possession of God's truth is an inalienable treasure. It enriches with possessions which never can decay, and which no spoiler can remove. It fills with joy unspeakable. It leads to endless glory.

112. "I have inclined my heart to perform Your statutes always, even to the end."

It is true that God only can incline the heart, but when He works converting change, adherence to God's will seems to be easy service. It becomes the spontaneous effort of the mind. May we thus find that obedience is our ready pathway to the glorious end, which has no end.

cont

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2006, 11:54:57 AM »

113. "I hate vain thoughts; but I love Your law."

Universal is the corruption implanted by the fall. Every imagination is prone to evil continually. The believer is conscious of this, and deeply bewails. The vanity of his thoughts is regarded with intense hatred. His real love is given to the pure Word.

114. "You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word."

The believer has a high fortress in his God. He flees to this hiding-place, and is safe. When the arrows of the foe unsparingly assail, he finds protection under the shield of God. He faints not, for his hope in God is firm.

115. "Depart from me, you evil-doers; for I will keep the commandments of my God."

The presence of evil men gives intense distress. The believer strives to keep far apart, and to give himself wholly to the works of godliness.

116. "Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live; and let me not be ashamed of my hope."

Our natural strength is utter feebleness. Unless upheld by a heavenly arm, we cannot but fall. But we may plead the promises. In this way we continue in lively frame. Thus the head looks up in holy confidence.

117. "Hold me up, and I shall be safe; and I will have respect to Your statutes continually."

There is no safety unless the Lord extends support. May our strength be thus supplied! This help will secure adherence to God's statutes.

118. "You have trodden down all those who err from Your statutes; for their deceit is falsehood."

They cannot escape ruin who wander in devious paths. Divine vengeance is in their rear. They will soon be trampled into perdition. Deceit and falsehood have been their course. The end is misery.

119. "You put away all the wicked of the earth like dross; therefore I love Your testimonies."

Utterly worthless are the wicked. They are lighter than the worthless chaff. The Lord will drive them away. They will no more be seen. They are the blessed who take His testimonies for their enriching treasure.

120. "My flesh trembles for fear of You; and I am afraid of Your judgments."

Who can think of the majesty and glory of God, and not lie low in reverential awe! The contemplation of His righteous judgments is an appalling sight, for an angry God is a consuming fire. Blessed are those who are sheltered in Christ Jesus.

121. "I have done judgment and justice; leave me not to my oppressors."

Happy is the conscience which can testify of sincere effort to act uprightly. Such walk leads to protection. Divine grace will uphold. Then the prayer may truly go forth, Leave me not to oppression, I have striven never to oppress.

122. "Be surety for Your servant for good; let not the proud oppress me."

In the provisions of grace God is engaged to uphold His servants, to avert evil, and to rescue them from oppression. Let the humble go forth pleading, Deal with me according to the everlasting Covenant.

123. "My eyes fail for Your salvation, and for the word of Your righteousness."

Believers long with intense desire to realize the joys of salvation. Their eyes are strained in looking for the shining of God's righteous word upon their hearts.

124. "Deal with Your servant according to Your mercy, and teach me Your statutes."

In deep confession of misery, faith looks for help only from God's mercy. This mercy never fails. It has no bounds. It never can be sought in vain. Its work is to guide safely in the way of heavenly statutes.

125. "I am Your servant; give me understanding, that I may know Your testimonies."

It is happiness to draw near to God with humble profession, that He is the Lord to whose service we are willingly consecrated. This is a good plea for light from heaven to direct our paths.

126. "It is time for You, Lord, to work; for they have made void Your law."

When iniquity abounds, and God's law is utterly despised, the time has come for God to arise, and to maintain His own cause. Let us give Him no rest until He banishes all evil.

127. "Therefore I love Your commandments above gold, yes, above fine gold."

What are all the treasures of earth, compared with the precious Word of God! The believer knows its value, and he regards all earth's wealth as worthless in comparison.

cont

http://www.gracegems.org/
Our literature is public domain—use it in any way you desire.
No monetary donations accepted. "Freely you
have received, freely give." Matthew 10:8

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2006, 12:05:11 PM »

128. "Therefore I esteem all Your precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way."

Admiration of God's law should be universal. Every precept should be regarded as a direct voice from heaven. Every opposing word should be rejected as falsehood and deception. May this be the mold in which our hearts are framed!

129. "Your testimonies are wonderful; therefore my soul keeps them."

Wonderful, indeed, are the revelations of Scripture. They proclaim Him whose name is Wonderful, and who only does wondrous things. The more this Word is studied the stronger will be the effort that the whole life should be framed after its sacred model.

130. "The entrance of Your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple."

The fall extinguished spiritual light. Gross darkness beclouded the mind. But when the rays of the Word illuminate, bright understanding sees God and the way of life. How earnest should be the prayer, "Send out Your light and Your truth, that they may lead me!" Thus the simple obtain wisdom.

131. "I opened my mouth and panted; for I longed for Your commandments."

Man gasping by toil and heat is pictured. He pants for the refreshing breeze. Thus the believer thirsts for the reviving comfort of God's Word.

132. "Look upon me, and be merciful to me, as Your custom is toward those who love Your name."

God's tender mercies ever beam on those who love Him. The Psalmist professes that such is his state, and prays to be remembered in the household of the saints.

133. "Order my steps in Your word; and let not any iniquity have dominion over me."

It is the believer's constant desire that God would guide his footsteps. He hates iniquity, and prays to be delivered from its thraldom.

134. "Deliver me from the oppression of man; so will I keep Your precepts."

Unless the Lord sends help, cruel men will terribly oppress the godly. But upheld by Him, they will persevere in the righteous precepts.

135. "Make Your face to shine upon Your servant; and teach me Your statutes."

Blessed is the state when heavenly smiles shine sweetly on the heart. This is the very foretaste of the heaven of heavens. Those who enjoy these cheering rays will always long to profit in God's school.

136. "Rivers of waters run down my eyes, because they keep not Your law."

Keen is the pain when the godly see God's name profaned, His Word despised, His glory trampled beneath scornful feet. Pious feeling mourns. Streams of sorrow show the intense anguish. Love of God awakens grief when He is despised. May we know this holy sorrow.

137. "Righteous are You, O Lord, and upright are Your judgments."

It is supreme delight to contemplate the glories of holiness, which, as a halo, shine around our Lord. God is holy in all His attributes and works.

138. "Your testimonies that You have commanded are righteous and very faithful."

Every commandment is the essence of holiness. His every word is the splendor of truth. Let the Scriptures be our constant guide. They will sanctify, and mold the inner man in righteousness.

cont

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2006, 12:07:58 PM »

139. "My zeal has consumed me; because my enemies have forgotten Your words."

Strong feelings are excited in the godly breast when disregard of God's Word is seen. It is the actuating principle of His enemies. The righteous burn with zeal to stop it.

140. "Your word is very pure; therefore Your servant loves it."

The lovely purity of God's Word is wondrous to attract. The godly feel this influence, and delight in it with their whole hearts.

141. "I am small and despised; yet do not I forget Your precepts."

The godly know well their poverty. They often feel that the world regards them with contempt. But these feelings excite warmer desire to be conformed to the Word of God.

142. "Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Your law is the truth."

God's righteousness is exact conformity to His law. The blessed Jesus, in man's nature upon earth, exhibited this righteousness. It is the robe which secures admission into heaven. It is everlasting, and incapable of change or decay.

143. "Trouble and anguish have taken hold of me; yet Your commandments are my delights."

Man is born to trouble, as the sparks fly upward; but no affliction drives the believer from the law which he intensely loves.

144. "The righteousness of Your testimonies is everlasting; give me understanding, and I shall live."

God's law is immutable. No age brings change. Fully persuaded of this truth, the believer prays to be kept in its knowledge. It leads to eternal life. May it be our chosen guide!

145. "I cried with my whole heart; hear me, O Lord. I will keep Your statutes."

Prayer and profession are here combined. Sweet is the union. May they ever be conjoined in us! True prayer is an exercise in which the whole heart puts forth its utmost energy. Prayers should be heartfelt vows.

146. "I cried to You; save me, and I shall keep Your testimonies."

Faith looks back hopefully on the hours in which prayer has been urgent. It supplicates anew for God's saving hand. It resolves to render faithful service in return.

147. "I rise early, before the sun is up; I cry out for help and put my hope in your words."

Faith is impatient to reach the mercy-seat. Before the first rays enlighten the east, it hastens to its morning work of prayer. Its hope rests on the promises of the Word.

148. "My eyes stay open through the watches of the night, that I may meditate on your promises."

Before the evening shadows darken, it hastens again to the glad employ of holy meditation. Stillness aids the calm delight.

149. "Hear my voice according unto Your lovingkindness; O Lord, quicken me according to Your judgment."

The views of God's lovingkindness are incessant joy. Faith expects much. Its hopes are large, according to the measure of God's goodness.

150. "Those draw near who follow after mischief; they are far from Your law."

Plotters of mischief against God's servants are always near. They hate God's law. We here read the complaint of Jesus. But all malice came to nothing.

151. "You are near, O Lord; and all Your commandments are truth."

The workers of mischief are indeed near, but God is far nearer. His presence is granted according to His promises.

152. "Concerning Your testimonies, I have known of old that You have founded them forever."

It is the immovable persuasion of faith that no word of God's mouth can ever fail. The soul is happy which reposes on this rock. May it be our settled resting place!

153. "Consider my affliction, and deliver me; for I do not forget Your law."

It is our privilege to bring afflictions to the mercy-seat. God is always ready to give ear. Relief will not long tarry. Happy is it when we can add the plea that His law rules within us.

154. "Plead my cause, and deliver me; quicken me according to Your word."

All our adversaries are silenced, when our great Advocate appears on our behalf. We may boldly pray, when we seek only the fulfillment of the Covenant of grace.

155. "Salvation is far from the wicked; for they do not seek Your statutes."

Sure is the destruction of the ungodly. Vengeance, righteously denounced, will righteously be executed. Where can hope be found? God's statutes are rejected. Self-willed rebellion fights only that it may fall.

156. "Great are Your tender mercies, O Lord; quicken me according to Your judgments."

The tender mercies of our God exceed all powers to estimate and praise. We need more love in our hearts. Our affections should more warmly burn. Let earnest prayers invigorate our souls. He gives more grace.

157. "Many are my persecutors and my enemies; yet do I not decline from Your testimonies."

Vain is all the rage and malice of the ungodly when God extends His protecting shield. When the enemy comes in like a flood, may we adhere more steadfastly to the rock of our salvation!

158. "I beheld the transgressors, and was grieved; because they kept not Your word."

An ungodly man is the saddest sight on earth. His course is unmixed evil. None gain profit from him. He passes to endless misery. Who can behold and suppress sorrow? This misery results from neglect of God's Word.

159. "Consider how I love Your precepts; quicken me, O Lord, according to Your lovingkindness."

Happy are those who with pure conscience can call on God to behold their devoted attachment to His Word. But still they bewail their dull and lifeless state, and pray for quickening power.

160. "Your word is true from the beginning; and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever."

Truth reigns in every word of Scripture. Its first utterance was true. Truth will pervade it to the end. Let this thought quicken our delight in it. It never can mislead. It will continue to be God's truth through everlasting ages.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2006, 12:09:04 PM »

161. "Princes have persecuted me without a cause; but my heart stands in awe of Your word."

Exaltation to earth's greatness cannot raise the soul to sanctity. The kings of the earth have often been among the foremost to take counsel against the Lord, and against His Anointed. Such conduct is extreme infatuation. But the godly fear not. Those who stand in awe of God can lightly regard man.

162. "I rejoice at Your word, as one who finds great treasure."

The Word of God is the treasure of treasures. It makes wise unto salvation. It enriches with imperishable wealth. Shall the man rejoice who discovers earthly treasures, and shall he not rejoice who finds the pearl of great price?

163. "I hate and abhor lying; but I love Your law."

Truth is a pure and lovely grace. Let us regard with detestation every deviation from the paths of truth. Let us give our hearts to the law, which is God's truth in the highest.

164. "Seven times a day do I praise You because of Your righteous judgments."

No praise can suffice to give due adoration to the Lord. Let His praises ever be on our lips. In His righteous judgments we shall find unending theme.

165. "Great peace have those who love Your law; and nothing shall offend them."

What can disturb the calm tranquillity of those whose affections revel in the Word of God? They proceed on earth's journey safely; nothing can cause them to fall fatally.

166. "Lord, I have hoped for Your salvation, and done Your commandments."

Here we have the sweet profession of established faith. It rejoices in the full assurance of hope, that God's salvation is its possession. In this glad persuasion the life is conformed to strictest obedience.

167. "My soul has kept Your testimonies; and I love them exceedingly."

The path of godliness is exceeding joy. The more we walk in it the more will delight abound.

168. "I have kept Your precepts and Your testimonies for all my ways are before You."

The believer ever realizes that God sees him. He does not want any word or work hidden from his Heavenly Father. May we ever walk in the bright sunshine of His light! Let us call Him to be our constant witness.

169. "Let my cry come near before You, O Lord; give me understanding according to Your word."

The believer's life is prayer. His faith assures him that every supplication will be heard. He feels especially his ignorance. Hence he seeks wisdom from God, who gives liberally and upbraids not.

170. "Let my supplication come before You; deliver me according to Your word."

The prayer is often repeated that in gracious answer deliverance may come. He trusts in the Covenant of grace.

171. "My lips shall utter praise, when You have taught me Your statutes."

Strong is the desire that due praises may be rendered. Hence the constant prayer that heavenly understanding may be given.

172. "My tongue shall speak of Your word; for all Your commandments are righteousness."

Sweet is the conversation when God's Word is the theme. How worthless in comparison are the chatterings of earthly folly!

173. "Let Your hand help me; for I have chosen Your precepts."

Strong is the plea; Lord, You know that deliberately I choose Your way. We may then boldly ask for help, and help will quickly fly to our side.

174. "I have longed for Your salvation, O Lord; and Your law is my delight."

Happy is Jacob's testimony, "I have waited for Your salvation." David similarly professed, "I have longed for Your salvation." Such saints have great delights. Their joy flows from the Word of God.

175. "Let my soul live, and it shall praise You; and let Your judgments help me."

Liveliness of soul is the Spirit's gift, and it will show itself in abounding praises.

176. "I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek Your servant; for I do not forget Your commandments."

The experienced saint is always conscious of his frequent errings. Unless the Good Shepherd seeks the straying sheep, it will wander farther from the fold. Therefore prayer is made to God to restore the soul from devious paths. This prayer is enforced by the profession that God's commandments abide in the heart

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2006, 02:53:10 AM »

Psalm 120

This Psalm depicts the unhappy condition when slanders assail, and the soul is tossed on billows of disquietude. Prayer is the unfailing refuge.

1. "In my distress I cried to the Lord, and He heard me."

Scripture faithfully proclaims that much tribulation is the believer's lot in this world. But it stops not with a mournful note. It also reveals the remedy in every period of distress. The remedy is prayer. This exercise never fails to bring relief. A distinct example stands before us. The Psalmist, mourning in the depths of trouble, lifts up a supplicating voice. God's ears are graciously open. We shall have sorrow. Let us similarly cry, and we shall find that sorrow leads to joy.

2. "Deliver my soul, O Lord, from lying lips, and from a deceitful tongue."

A particular distress is now named. The exact petition is adjoined. Slander and untruthful reports constitute the trial. The believer is often called to this endurance. If David is the speaker, we hear him mourning the cruel charge of Doeg. If the blessed Jesus is the prominent personage, we know that things were laid to His charge which He knew not of. But whenever such cruelty occurs, God is a sure refuge. No bitter arrow wounds when His shield shelters.

3-4. "What shall be given to you? or what shall be done to you, you false tongue? Sharp arrows of the mighty, with coals of juniper."

Admonition is made with the slandering accuser. He is warned that he cannot expect immunity. God will vindicate His children. He will bring fierce destruction on malignant slanderers. Images vividly express the terrible aspect of this punishment. Miseries shall pierce false hearts, as arrows flying from a mighty bow. Fire shall consume them, as the fierce coals of juniper.

5. "Woe is me, that I sojourn in Mesech, that I dwell in the tents of Kedar!"

Here is a lamentation that abode so long continues in the midst of the cruel and idolatrous. Let us seek more the sweet communion of saints. Let us long more for the fellowship of heaven, where love shall be the pervading atmosphere, and praise the never-ending song.

6-7. "My soul has long dwelt with him who hates peace. I am for peace; but when I speak, they are for war."

If the blessed Jesus found such to be His case, can His followers expect a better state! But let us never be provoked to render evil for evil, but on the contrary, blessing. Let us pray that the God of peace may give us peace, always and by all means.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2006, 02:55:47 AM »

Psalm 121

True safety is from God alone. His protecting care is portrayed in attractive colors. May they win us to place all confidence in Him!

1-2. "I will lift up my eyes to the hills, from where comes my help. My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

The pious child of Israel turned in devotion to the hill on which the Temple stood. He saw in it a type of Jehovah's presence. The lesson is here taught that all protection comes directly from our Heavenly Father. With confidence let us uplift our eyes to Him. He is the fountain of all grace. He, whose omnipotent word called heaven and earth into existence, can by the same word make all providences to promote His people's good.

3-4. "He will not allow your foot to be moved; He who keeps you will not slumber. Behold, He who keeps Israel shall neither slumber nor sleep."

The believer often moves on slippery ground. Various enemies, also, dash against him. Left to himself, how quickly will he fall! But the Lord upholds him, so he stands as a rock against the lashing billows. The care which preserves him never relaxes its watchful guardianship. The eyes of the Lord, through day and night, from the opening to the closing of the year, are fixed immovably on His waiting people.

5-6. "The Lord is your keeper; the Lord is your shade upon your right hand. The sun shall not smite you by day, nor the moon by night."

Volumes are contained in the words, The Lord is your keeper. It is re-echoed by the Apostle—We are kept by the power of God through faith unto eternal life. They are indeed securely kept who are encircled by their omnipotent God. In their Zionward march they are exposed to scorching rays. But as the pillar of cloud spread sweet refreshment over Israel's hosts, so the Lord wards off the adversary's piercing darts. To His people He is as the shadow of a great rock in a weary land.

7. "The Lord shall preserve you from all evil; He shall preserve your soul."

All strength and joy are included in the promise that God shall preserve us from all evil. The believer may exult in the assurance that all the assaults of Satan and the powers of darkness shall inflict no deadly wound. The soul shall live unharmed. It shall be brought in safety to the heavenly home.

8. "The Lord shall preserve your going out, and your coming in, from this time forth, and even forevermore."

The pilgrimage may seem tedious. We may have many changes. We may be emptied from vessel to vessel. But final rest is secured. Through God's protection, heaven shall be attained. Let us lift up our heads with joy, and shout thanksgivings.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2006, 02:57:48 AM »

Psalm 122

The beauty and the glory of the Church of Christ are here typically represented. Let prayer be fervent for the Church.

1-2. "I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord. Our feet shall stand within your gates, O Jerusalem!"

Joy gladdened the Israelite's heart when invited to proceed in happy company to the appointed worship at Jerusalem. He would rejoice in the hope of seeing the royal city and the Temple of his God. His spirit would exult in prospect of joining in the prayers and praises of the sanctuary. Gladness would largely revel when he exclaimed, Our feet shall stand within your gates, O Jerusalem! Similar is the pious joy with which every true believer hastens to the Church's festivities. It is celestial happiness to join in common prayer, to lift up the voice in common praise, and to hear the proclamation of the glorious truths of Christ's gospel. But what lips can tell the joy of entering the New Jerusalem; and seeing our God face to face, and joining in the everlasting hallelujahs? With this bright prospect gladdening our souls may we go on our way rejoicing!

3. "Jerusalem is built as a city that is compact together."

Nothing could exceed the magnificence of the city of God. It abounded with all that art and wealth could contribute. Thus it stood the admiration of the world. Its perfect arrangements present a faint image of the glory of the New Jerusalem. The Spirit, by the pen of the enraptured John, describes the glorious scene. But splendid images cannot reach the reality. To know what heaven is, heaven must be entered. May we rejoice in the thought that each day brings us nearer to it!

4-5. "Where the tribes go up, the tribes of the Lord, to the testimony of Israel, to give thanks unto the name of the Lord. For there are set thrones of judgment, the thrones of the house of David."

Three times each year the males of the house of Israel were enjoined to attend the solemn feasts, to enter the Temple, which contained the testimony of the Lord, and there to bless His holy name. The day approaches when all who have rejoiced in Christ shall meet in the New Jerusalem. They shall come from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south, with joy and gladness, with thanksgiving, and the voice of melody. Let us see to it that we, also, shall have our place in this innumerable multitude. Believers are kings and priests now unto God. Then shall the promise be fulfilled, I say unto you, That you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit on the throne of His glory, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

6-7. "Pray for the peace of Jerusalem; those shall prosper who love you. Peace be within your walls, and prosperity within your palaces."

We are exhorted to be constant in our prayers, that God's choicest blessings may descend upon the Church and make it fit for the inheritance of glory. Prayers for others are true prayers for ourselves. When we seek mercy on the Church in general, mercy will be given to us, as to all the members of it.

8-9, "For my brethren and companions' sakes, I will now say, Peace be within you. Because of the house of the Lord our God I will seek your good."

Two grand motives are assigned for these prayers, the love of our brethren and our delight in the glory of God. May these motives ever swell in our hearts. Asking peace for others, we shall enjoy peace ourselves. If we honor God, He will honor us.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2006, 02:59:36 AM »

Psalm 123

Contempt and derision should quicken our flight to the mercy-seat.

1. "Unto You lift I up my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens."

The Psalmist holds in his hand a cup overflowing with bitter waters of distress. But he knows from whom relief can be obtained. He looks away—He looks aloft—He looks on high—He looks to the heaven of heavens—He looks to his God and Father in Christ Jesus. High indeed is His glorious throne, but the eye of faith can reach it. It sees seated thereon His Father invested with all abundance of power, and beaming with all smiles of love. Let us fear no trouble, which brings us to this light.

2. "Behold, as the eyes of servants look unto the hand of their masters, and as the eyes of a maiden unto the hand of her mistress; so our eyes wait upon the Lord our God, until He has mercy upon us."

A homely similitude shows the intense and patient watchings of faith. The devoted servant diligently observes his master. He studies to learn his will. His desire is to execute his wishes. So faith is ever studious to ascertain what God would have us to do. It looks upward, not doubting that God will guide with His eye. Faith, also, is very patient. It humbly waits until mercy is given. He who thus watches will surely find that mercy in due time will radiantly shine forth.

3-4. "Have mercy upon us, O Lord, have mercy upon us; for we are exceedingly filled with contempt. Our soul is exceedingly filled with the scorning of those who are at ease, and with the contempt of the proud."

The cry for mercy is strong and importunate. It will not cease until mercy's wings flutter around. It is especially urged by the contemptuous bearing of the ungodly. They scornfully deride the humble followers of the Lamb. But great will be the change, when the proud are cast into outer darkness, and the lowly raised to their eternal thrones. Let us be the true followers of the meek and lowly Jesus, that we may dwell with Him forever.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2006, 03:01:26 AM »

Psalm 124

All deliverance is freely given by the hand of God. To Him let grateful blessings ever be ascribed.

1-5. "If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, now may Israel say; If it had not been the Lord who was on our side, when men rose up against us; then they would have swallowed us up quick, when their wrath was kindled against us; then the waters would have overwhelmed us, the stream would have gone over our soul; then the proud waters would have gone over our soul."

Many are the adversaries of God's children. They are headed by the arch-enemy, the devil. He is depicted as a lion for strength, a serpent for subtlety, a dragon for fierceness. He is aided by followers who are a legion for multitude. Tender feeling is a stranger to such foes. Like the waters of an overwhelming flood, they would work utter desolation. Their malice must succeed, if One mightier than the strong one interposed not. But the Lord is ever near to support His people. Vain is all hostility. His aid is perfect victory.

6. "Blessed be the Lord, who has not given us as a prey to their teeth."

The soul is represented as a defenseless lamb trembling in the fangs of a ravenous beast, ready to mangle, eager to devour. But rescue intervenes. So our Heavenly Father delivers from the teeth of the devouring lion. Let grateful thanks be devoutly given.

7. "Our soul has escaped as a bird out of the snare of the fowlers; the snare has broken, and we have escaped."

Another image represents the soul entangled in the fowler's net. A kind hand brings escape. When the case seems to be hopeless, mercy gives freedom. Again let praises shout aloud.

8. "Our help is in the name of the Lord, who made heaven and earth."

Surely we must perish if earth only rendered aid. But the great Creator who sits on the throne of omnipotence puts forth His might in our defense. This power is an impregnable fortress of defense. Let us thank Him, bless Him, and adore.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2006, 03:03:19 AM »

Psalm 125

This ode sings a blessed description of God's children. Earnest prayer is the fitting conclusion.

1. "Those who trust in the Lord shall be as Mount Zion, which cannot be removed, but abides forever."

It is the blessing of blessings to put all trust in God. Those who thus cling to Him shall never be cast off. Perils may surround them, but hostile might shall not prevail. As easily might puny man cast down the loftiest mountains as adverse power shake the firm stability of this faith. May this trust nerve us in the Christian warfare!

2. "As the mountains are round about Jerusalem, so the Lord is round about His people from henceforth, even forever."

Jerusalem was guarded by natural barriers. Surrounding mountains spread protecting arms. This image shows the safety of God's people. On all sides He stands their sure protection. He must be removed or vanquished before an adversary can touch them. Our life is hidden with Christ in God. Can safety be more safe?

3. "For the rod of the wicked shall not rest upon the lot of the righteous; lest the righteous put forth their hands unto iniquity."

Hostile might may often rage against the righteous. Foes may threaten to trample them beneath their feet. But God will check the overbearing enmity. If trials should long prevail there might be peril, lest the spirits of the righteous should faint. Fear of desertion might open the door to many doubts. But all such danger is averted by the hand of God. His ready help restores confiding hope.

4. "Do good, O Lord, to those who are good, and to those who are upright in their hearts."

Believers are described as good. The name is explained by the Spirit as implying the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and of faith. It is proof that no deception is harbored in their hearts. Prayer is made that God would visit them with goodness. This prayer indited by the Spirit amounts to a heavenly promise that they shall receive such honor.

5. "As for such as turn aside unto their crooked ways, the Lord shall lead them forth with the workers of iniquity; but peace shall be upon Israel."

Transition of scene shows the deceitful followers of evil led forth by God to merited execution, while the true Israel rejoice in abundant peace. May this happy state be our glad portion! Grant it, Heavenly Father, for Your love's sake, in Christ Jesus.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2006, 11:48:59 AM »

Psalm 126

Restoration from captivity is the Lord's gracious work. In due time the sorrow of the righteous shall be swallowed up in joy.

1. "When the Lord turned again the captivity of Zion, we were like those who dream."

When the days of Babylonish bondage were fully run, what transports of joy thrilled through Israel's sons! Their minds were almost bewildered by the grand event. The good tidings seemed almost as the mocking of an illusive vision of the night. So when deliverance from Satan's yoke is realized, what floods of delight overpower the soul! We were born captives in the devil's prison-house, his shackles held us tightly bound. We were slaves toiling under a cruel tyrant. But when Jesus comes and grants liberty we awake to a new world of happiness. We breathe the air of freedom. We exult with joy unspeakable and full of glory. We are tempted to exclaim, "Can this be real?"

2. "Then our mouth was filled with laughter, and our tongue with singing; then said they among the heathen, The Lord has done great things for them."

Their homeward march was lively with exuberant thanksgiving. The voice of pious melody was heard around. The heathen beheld the marvelous return. At once they exclaimed that One mightier than man had come forth for their rescue. May we ever ascribe our redemption to free grace!

3. "The Lord has done great things for us, whereof we are glad."

The Lord, indeed, has done great things for us. Omnipotence has mightily come forth to save us from the grasp of Satan. Jesus, the incarnate God, has grappled with our deadly foe. He has snatched us from his thraldom. The great God brings salvation. Shall we not rejoice and sing!

4. "Turn again our captivity, O Lord, as the streams in the south."

When the heat of summer burns, many torrents show dry channels. The cattle, thirsting for refreshing waters, are mocked with empty beds. But when the rains return, their channels are again replenished, and gladness smiles beside their banks. So when the days of banishment are passed, the captives move homeward with delight. May the Lord speedily bring this joy to those who groan beneath Satan's cruel yoke!

5-6. "Those who sow in tears shall reap in joy. He who goes forth and weeps, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him."

An image from rustic life gives comfort. The husbandman in hopeful toil casts the seed into the furrows. Months pass and there is no sign of life. In due season spring returns. The fields again are clad with verdure. Summer glows with ripening rays. The harvest is gathered in amid full shouts of joy. So a long period of dreary waiting may depress the soul; but the promised deliverance comes, and sorrow flees in shouts of fervent joy. May this be speedily our glad experience.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 29, 2006, 11:52:24 AM »

Psalm 127

Safety and success can only come from God. Pious families are multiplied by His blessing.

1. "Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain who build it; except the Lord keep the city, the watchman wakes but in vain."

It is a blessed lesson in the Spirit's school that God's all-ordering hand and all-controlling power direct events. He sits upon the throne of universal sway. Prosperity abounds only as furthered by His will. Failure undermines all efforts which rest not on His sovereign desire. All labor is but nothingness except He commands the blessing. Without Him workmen toil to gain vanity. Guards may surround the city with much show of force, but if the Lord is absent their weapons and vigilance end in defeat. Jesus comforts with the assurance that all power is His in heaven and in earth. Let us flee to Him and cling to Him. Then we shall surely prosper. Adversity can never frown when Jesus smiles.

2. "It is vain for you to rise up early, to sit up late, to eat the bread of sorrows; for so He gives His beloved sleep."

It is sad when men consume their time and energies in fruitless toil. If God is forgotten, and His aid unsought, the midnight hours and the early dawn are vainly spent in labors. Profitless is all exercise of mind and body if He is excluded who alone dispenses blessings. Shut out the sun, and there is no light. Omit the ball, and empty is the cannon's sound. Let His servants make Him their all, and He will cause them to repose in peace. Tranquil confidence will trust events to His guardian care, and thus sweet calm will soothe the breast.

3-5. "Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord; and the fruit of the womb is His reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man, so are children of the youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."

It is a lovely scene when pious parents sit surrounded by a pious progeny. The happy circle gives evidence that God's favoring smile beams on the family. Heavenly feeling pervades the house. Love of God, faith in the redeeming blood and covering righteousness of Christ, are ruling principles. There is joy in present communion and in anticipation of eternal fellowship. The godly union, also, is strength. No enemies can resist the arrows aimed by a giant hand. Thus foes prevail not over this holy company. No shame or confusion depresses their heads. They boldly meet all adversaries. Who will not serve the blessed Lord, and delight in the heritage which is His people's crown!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 29, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »

Psalm 128

Manifold blessings belong to those who fear the Lord. May we gaze on the display until it is our own realized enjoyment!

1. "Blessed is everyone who fears the Lord; who walks in His ways."

The fear of the Lord is an inestimable gift. Let it be sought with our whole hearts. Let it be diligently nurtured. It comes from above. It is the Spirit's work. It is the herald of a train of countless blessings. It is evidenced by close adherence to the Gospel-rule. Those who fear God will dread the slightest wandering from His path.

2. "For you shall eat the labor of your hands; you shall be happy, and it shall be well with you."

The grace of fear will work diligence in all appointed works. Indolence is a mark of gracelessness. Abundant fruit follows Christian toil. No good thing shall be withheld. True happiness fills the hearts which tremble at the Word. God will cause the sunshine of prosperity to brighten in their homes. Who will not pray, Lord, give us this blessed fear! As heaven is high above the earth, so great is His mercy towards those who fear Him.

3. "Your wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of your house; your children like olive-plants round about your table."

Not only shall prosperity attend the customary employ of the hands, but domestic joys shall be dispensed as the Lord thinks well. His blessing will fill the cup of family happiness to overflowing.

4-6. "Behold, that thus shall the man be blessed that fears the Lord. The Lord shall bless you out of Zion; and you shall see the good of Jerusalem all the days of your life. Yes, you shall see your children's children, and peace upon Israel."

Spiritual blessings shall especially be multiplied. The prosperity of the Church shall be seen, and shall augment the bliss. Converts shall spring up as among the grass, as willows by the watercourses. They shall fly as doves to their windows. Lord grant these blessings, and may our eyes behold the peace of Your children! So shall we love and praise You more and more! Let us ever bless the Holy Spirit for thus alluring us to Gospel-walk. The picture is enchanting. The real enjoyment exceeds description.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 29, 2006, 11:59:41 AM »

Psalm 129

Incessant were the troubles of Israel. But they destroyed them not. A prophetic voice here sounds, foretelling evil's final woe.

1-2. "Many time they have afflicted me from my youth, may Israel now say; Many times they have afflicted me from my youth; yet they have not prevailed against me."

The burning bush is a fit type of God's servants in this evil world. The flames encompassed every branch and leaf, but still the verdure bloomed. The devouring blaze was powerless to reduce to ashes. Thus the Church is in constant peril, but still it lives beautiful in freshness and in unfading vigor. Each page of its history recites fearful attacks, but still the inward life survives and no decay appears. The story of each individual believer is similarly the record of trials, troubles, persecutions, and distresses. But still the raging billows engulf not the little bark. It maintains its course. It finally reaches the peaceful haven.

3. "The plowers plowed upon my back; they made long their furrows."

This image shows the cruel malice of relentless foes. As the plough urged by much strength deeply penetrates the ground, so scourges and vindictive blows have mangled suffering saints. We here especially see the suffering Jesus. Hear His piteous cry; "I gave My back to the smiters and My cheeks to those who plucked off the hair." See His afflicted form; "His visage was so marred more than any man, and His form more than the sons of men." While we behold, let adoration swell more warmly, for by His stripes we are healed.

4. "The Lord is righteous; He has cut asunder the cords of the wicked."

Vain are the cruelties of the wicked. Their shackles cannot detain. The Lord wills deliverance. The chains are broken, and His people are free. So Jesus was bound in vain. He rises conqueror over Satan and the grave. He mounts victorious to the courts of heaven.

5-8. "Let them all be confounded and turned back who hate Zion. Let them be as the grass upon the housetops, which withers afore it grows up. With which the mower fills not his hand, nor he that binds sheaves his bosom. Neither do those who go by say, The blessing of the Lord be upon you; we bless you in the name of the Lord."

A graphic image shows the worthless and ignominious state of the wicked. Grass on the dry house-top has no root. It appears only to wither. No mower gathers it. No reaper adds it to his sheaves. It yields no good. So the wicked are seen only to be scorned. Soon they pass away. No benefit results from them. No blessing cheers them. Shall we have portion with them? Forbid it, gracious Lord! We receive You as all our hope and our salvation.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the