Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:31:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286795 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Books (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  The New Life
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The New Life  (Read 11458 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 28, 2006, 06:17:59 PM »

Over the ear also discretion keeps guard. Through the gate of the ear comes to me all the news of the world, all the indiscreet speech of others, to infect me. Very hurtful for the soul is eagerness for news. One can afterwards no more look into one's self: one lives wholly in the world round about. Corinth was much more godless than Athens; but in this last place, where they 'spent their time in nothing else but either to tell or to hear some new thing,' very few were converted. Take heed, says Jesus, what ye hear. (Prov. 2:2; 18:15; Mark 4:24; Acts. 17:21)

* Pr 2:2 So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding;

* Pr 18:15 The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge.

* Mr 4:24 And he said unto them, Take heed what ye hear: with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you: and unto you that hear shall more be given.

* Ac 17:21 (For all the Athenians and strangers which were there spent their time in nothing else, but either to tell, or to hear some new thing.)

On this account, discretion keeps watch over the society in which the Christian mingles. 'He that separateth himself seeketh his own desire.' The child of God has no the freedom to yield himself to the society of the world so much and so long as he would: he must know the will of his Father. (Ps. 1:1; Prov. 28:1; 2 Cor. 6:14; 2 Thess. 3:14; 2 John 10,11)

* Ps 1:1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.

* Pr 28:1 The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

* 2Co 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

* 2Th 3:14 And if any man obey not our word by this epistle, note that man, and have no company with him, that he may be ashamed.

* 2Jo 10 If there come any unto you, and bring not this doctrine, receive him not into your house, neither bid him God speed:

* 2Jo 11 For he that biddeth him God speed is partaker of his evil deeds.

Discretion keeps watch over all lawful occupations and possessions. It knows how gradually and stealthily the love of money, worldly-mindedness, the secret power of the flesh, obtains the upper hand, and that it can never reckon itself free from this temptation. (Matt. 13:22; Luke 21:34; 1 Tim. 6:9,17)

* Mt 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.

* Lu 21:34 And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares.

* 1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
    * 1Ti 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy

And, above all, it keeps watch over the heart, because there are the issues of life, there is the fountain out of which everything springs. Remembering the word, 'he that trusteth in his own heart is a fool,' it walks in deep humility, and it works out salvation with fear and trembling. (Prov. 3:21,23; 4:23; 28:16; Jer. 31:33)

* Pr 3:21 My son, let not them depart from thine eyes: keep sound wisdom and discretion:
    * Pr 3:23 Then shalt thou walk in thy way safely, and thy foot shall not stumble.

* Pr 4:23 Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.

* Pr 28:16 The prince that wanteth understanding is also a great oppressor: but he that hateth covetousness shall prolong his days.

* Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.

And whence has the soul the power to be with a never-resting watchfulness on its guard against the thousand dangers that surround it on all sides? Is it not fatiguing, exhausting, harassing, to have thus to watch always and never to be at rest in the certainty that there is no danger? No: absolutely not. Discretion brings just the highest restfulness. It has its security and strength in its heavenly Keeper, who slumbers not nor sleeps. In confidence in Him, under the inspiration of His Spirit, discretion does its work: the Christian walks as one that is wise; the dignity of a holy prudence adorns him in all his actions. The rest of faith, the faith that Jesus watches and guards, binds to Him in love, and holy discretion springs as of its own accord from a love that would not grieve or abandon Him, from a faith that has its strength for everything in Him.

O Lord my God, guard me, that I may not be of the indiscreet in heart. Let the prudence of the righteous always characterize me, in order that in everything I may be kept from giving offense. Amen.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 28, 2006, 06:18:28 PM »

1. To one who bestowed great care on having his horse and cart in thoroughly good order, it was once said: Come, it is not necessary to be always taking so much pains with this. His answer was: I have always found my prudence paid. How many a Christian has need of this lesson. How many a young Christian may well pray for this -- that his conversion may be, according to God's word, 'to the prudence of the righteous.'

2. Discretion has its root in self-knowledge. The deeper my knowledge of my impotence and the sinfulness of my flesh is, the greater is the need of watchfulness. It is thus our element of true self-denial.

3. Discretion has its power in faith: the Lord is our Keeper, and He does His keeping through the Spirit keeping us in mind. It is from Him that our discretion comes.

4. Its activity is not limited to ourselves: it reaches out especially to our neighbour, in the way of giving him no offense, and in laying no stumbling-block in his way. (Rom. 14:13; 1 Cor. 8:9; 10:32; Phil. 1:10)

* Ro 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

* 1Co 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

* 1Co 10:32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

* Phil 1:10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;

5. It finds great delight in silence, so as to commit its way to the Lord with composure and deliberation. It esteems highly the word of the town-clerk of Ephesus: 'Ye ought to be quiet, and to do nothing rash.'

6. In great generals and their victories, we see that discretion is not timidity: it is consistent with the highest courage and the most joyful certitude of victory. Discretion watches against rashness, but enhances the courage of faith.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 28, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »

XLVIII. MONEY

'Money answereth all things.' -- Eccles. 10:19 'I verily dedicate the silver unto the Lord from my hand.' -- Judg. 17:3
'Thou oughtest therefore to have put my money to the bankers, and at my coming I should have received back mine own with interest.' -- Matt. 25:27

It is in his dealing with the world and its possessions, that the Christian finds one of the opportunities in which he is to manifest his self-denial and the spirit of discretion. (John 17:15,16; 1 Cor. 7:31)

* Joh 17:15 I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
    * Joh 17:16 They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

* 1Co 7:31 And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away.

Since it is in money that all value or property on earth will finds its expression, so it is especially in his dealing with money that he can show whether he is free from worldliness to deny himself and to serve his God. In order rightly to comprehend this, we must consider for a little what falls to be said about money.

What is money the token of? It is the token of the work by which a man earns it: of his industry, and zeal, and ability in that work: of his success and the blessing of God upon the work. It is also the token of all that I can do with money: the token of the work that others would do for me, of the power that I thereby have to accomplish what I desire, of the influence which I exercise on those that are dependent upon me for my money: a token of all the possessions or enjoyments that are to be obtained by money: a token of all upon earth that can make life desirable: yea, a token of life itself, which without the purchase of indispensable food cannot be supported.

Money is thus, indeed, of earthly things, one of the most desirable and fruitful. No wonder that it is thus esteemed by all. What is the danger of money? What is the sin that is done with it, that the Bible and experience should so warn us to be prudent in dealing with it? There is the anxiousness that knows not if there will be sufficient money. (Matt. 6:31)

* Mt 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?

There is the coveteousness that longs too much for it. (1 John 2:16)

* 1Jo 2:16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

There is the dishonesty that, without gross deception or theft, does not give to a neighbour what belongs to him. (Jas. 5:4)

* Jas 5:4 Behold, the hire of the labourers who have reaped down your fields, which is of you kept back by fraud, crieth: and the cries of them which have reaped are entered into the ears of the Lord of sabaoth.

There is the lovelessness that would draw everything to one's self and does not keep another. (Luke 16:21)

* Lu 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

There is love of money, which seeks after riches and lands in avarice. (1 Tim. 6:9,10,17)

* 1Ti 6:9 But they that will be rich fall into temptation and a snare, and into many foolish and hurtful lusts, which drown men in destruction and perdition.
    * 1Ti 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.
    * 1Ti 6:17 Charge them that are rich in this world, that they be not highminded, nor trust in uncertain riches, but in the living God, who giveth us richly all things to enjoy

There is robbery of God and the poor in withholding the share that belongs to them. (Prov. 7:24,26; Ma 3:8)

* Pr 7:24 Hearken unto me now therefore, O ye children, and attend to the words of my mouth.
    * Pr 7:26 For she hath cast down many wounded: yea, many strong men have been slain by her.

* Mt 3:8 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 28, 2006, 06:19:55 PM »

What is the blessing of money? If the danger of sin is so great, would it not be better if there were no money? Is it not better to be without money? No: even for the spiritual life money may be a great blessing: as an exercise in industry and activity, (Prov. 13:4; 18:19)

* Pr 13:4 The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.

* Pr 18:19 A brother offended is harder to be won than a strong city: and their contentions are like the bars of a castle.

in care and economy: as a token of God's blessing upon our work: (Prov. 10:4,22)

* Pr 10:4 He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich.
    * Pr 10:22 The blessing of the LORD, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it.

as an opportunity for showing that we can possess and lay it out for God, without withholding it or cleaving to it; that by means of it we can manifest our generosity to the poor and our overflowing love for God's cause: (Isa. 47:7,8,10,11; 2 Cor. 8:14,15)

* Isa 47:7 And thou saidst, I shall be a lady for ever: so that thou didst not lay these things to thy heart, neither didst remember the latter end of it.
    * Isa 47:8 Therefore hear now this, thou that art given to pleasures, that dwellest carelessly, that sayest in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me; I shall not sit as a widow, neither shall I know the loss of children:
    * Isa 47:10 For thou hast trusted in thy wickedness: thou hast said, None seeth me. Thy wisdom and thy knowledge, it hath perverted thee; and thou hast said in thine heart, I am, and none else beside me.
    * Isa 47:11 Therefore shall evil come upon thee; thou shalt not know from whence it riseth: and mischief shall fall upon thee; thou shalt not be able to put it off: and desolation shall come upon thee suddenly, which thou shalt not know.

* 2Co 8:14 But by an equality, that now at this time your abundance may be a supply for their want, that their abundance also may be a supply for your want: that there may be equality:
    * 2Co 8:15 As it is written, He that had gathered much had nothing over; and he that had gathered little had no lack.

as a means of glorifying God by our beneficence, and of spreading among men the gold of heavenly blessing: (2 Cor. 9:12,13)

* 2Co 9:12 For the administration of this service not only supplieth the want of the saints, but is abundant also by many thanksgivings unto God;
    * 2Co 9:13 Whiles by the experiment of this ministration they glorify God for your professed subjection unto the gospel of Christ, and for your liberal distribution unto them, and unto all men

as a thing that, according to the assurance of Jesus, we can exchange for a treasure in heaven. (Matt. 19:21; Luke 12:33)

* Mt 19:21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.

* Lu 12:33 Sell that ye have, and give alms; provide yourselves bags which wax not old, a treasure in the heavens that faileth not, where no thief approacheth, neither moth corrupteth.

And what is now the way to be freed from the danger and to be led into the right blessing of money?

Let God be Lord over your money. Receive all your money with thanksgiving, as coming from God in answer to the prayer: 'Give us this day our daily bread.' (1 Chron. 29:14)

* 1Ch 29:14 But who am I, and what is my people, that we should be able to offer so willingly after this sort? for all things come of thee, and of thine own have we given thee.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 28, 2006, 06:21:09 PM »

Lay it all down before God as belonging to Him. Say with the woman: 'I verily dedicate the silver unto the Lord.' (1 Tim. 4:4,5)

* 1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
    * 1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Let your dealing with your money be a part of your spiritual life. Receive, and possess, and give out your money as one who has been bought at a high price, redeemed, not with silver and gold, but with the precious blood. (Luke 19:8)

* Lu 19:8 And Zacchaeus stood, and said unto the Lord; Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor; and if I have taken any thing from any man by false accusation, I restore him fourfold.

Make what the word of God says of money, of earthly good, a special study. The word of the Father alone teaches how the child of the Father is to use blessing.

Reflect much on the fact that it is not given to you for yourself alone, but for you and your brethren together. The blessing of money is to do good to others, and make them rejoice. Remember especially that it can be given up to the Father and the service of His kingdom for the upbuilding of His spiritual temple, for the extension of His sway. Every time of spiritual blessing mentioned in Scripture was a time of cheerful giving for God's cause. Even the outpouring of the Holy Spirit make itself known in the giving of money for the Lord. (Ex. 36:5; 1 Chron. 29:6,9; Acts. 2:15; 4:34)

* Ex 36:5 And they spake unto Moses, saying, The people bring much more than enough for the service of the work, which the LORD commanded to make.

* 1Ch 29:6 Then the chief of the fathers and princes of the tribes of Israel, and the captains of thousands and of hundreds, with the rulers of the king's work, offered willingly,
    * 1Ch 29:9 Then the people rejoiced, for that they offered willingly, because with perfect heart they offered willingly to the LORD: and David the king also rejoiced with great joy.

* Ac 2:15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.

* Ac 4:34 Neither was there any among them that lacked: for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the prices of the things that were sold

Christian, understand it: all the deepest deliberations of the heart and its most spiritual activities can manifest themselves in the way in which we deal with our money. Love to God, love to our neighbour, victory over the world by faith, the hope of everlasting treasure, faithfulness as steward, joy in God's service, cheerful self-denial, holy discretion, the glorious freedom of the children of God, can all be seen in the use of money. Money can be the means of the most glorious fellowship with God, and the full enjoyment of the blessedness of being able to honour and serve Him.

Lord God, make me rightly discern in what close connection my money stands with my spiritual life. Let the Holy Spirit lead and sanctify me, so that all my earning and receiving, my keeping and dispensing of money may always be well-pleasing to Thee and a blessing to my soul. Amen.

1. John Wesley always said that there were three rules about the use of money which he gave to men in business, and by which he was sure that they would experience benefit.

Make as much money as you can. Be industrious and diligent.

Save as much money as you can. Be no spendthrift, live frugally and prudently.

Give away as much money as you can. That is the divine destination of money; that makes it an everlasting blessing for yourselves and others.

2. Acquaint yourself with the magnificent prayer of David in 1 Chron. 29. Receive it into your soul; it teaches us the blessedness and the glorification of God that spring from cheerful giving.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2006, 06:22:12 PM »

XLIX. THE FREEDOM OF THE CHRISTIAN

'Being made free from sin, ye became bond-servants of righteousness. Being made free from sin, ye have your fruit unto sanctification.' -- Rom. 6:18,22
'But now we have been discharged from the law.' -- Rom. 7:6 'The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.' -- Rom. 8:2

Freedom is counted in Scripture as one of the greatest privileges of the child of God. There is nothing in history for which nations have made great sacrifices except freedom. Slavery is the lowest condition into which man can sink, for in it he can no longer dispose of himself. Freedom is the deepest need of his nature.

To be free, then, is the condition in which anything can develop itself according to the law of its nature, that is, according to its disposition. Without freedom nothing can attain its destiny or become what it ought to be. This is true alike of the animal and man, of the corporeal and the spiritual. It was for this cause that God in Israel chose the redemption out of the slavery of Egypt into the glorious liberty of God's people, as the everlasting type of redemption out of the slavery of sin into the liberty of the children of God. (Ex. 1:14; 4:23; 6:5; 20:2; Deut. 24:8)

* Ex 1:14 And they made their lives bitter with hard bondage, in morter, and in brick, and in all manner of service in the field: all their service, wherein they made them serve, was with rigour.

* Ex 4:23 And I say unto thee, Let my son go, that he may serve me: and if thou refuse to let him go, behold, I will slay thy son, even thy firstborn.

* Ex 6:5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel, whom the Egyptians keep in bondage; and I have remembered my covenant.

* Ex 20:2 I am the LORD thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

* De 24:8 Take heed in the plague of leprosy, that thou observe diligently, and do according to all that the priests the Levites shall teach you: as I commanded them, so ye shall observe to do.

On this account, Jesus said on earth: 'If the Son shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.' And the Holy Scriptures teach us to stand fast in the freedom with which Christ made us free. A right insight into this freedom opens up to us one of the greatest glories of the life that the grace of God has prepared for us. (John 8:32,36; Gal. 4:21,31; 5:1)

* Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
    * Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

* Ga 4:21 Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law?
    * Ga 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

* Ga 5:1 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

In the three passages, from the Epistle to the Romans, in which sanctification is dealt with, a threefold freedom is spoken of. There is freedom from sin in the sixth chapter, freedom from the law in the seventh, freedom from the law of sin in the eighth.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2006, 06:22:59 PM »

There is freedom from sin (Rom. 6:7,18,22).

* Ro 6:7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.
    * Ro 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
    * Ro 6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

Sin is represented as a power that rules over man, under which he is brought and taken captive, and that urges him as a slave to evil. (John 8:34; Rom. 7:14,23; 2 Pet. 2:19)

* Joh 8:34 Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin.

* Ro 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
    * Ro 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

* 2Pe 2:19 While they promise them liberty, they themselves are the servants of corruption: for of whom a man is overcome, of the same is he brought in bondage.

By the death of Christ and in Christ of the believer, who is one with Him, he is made entirely free from the dominion of sin: it has no more power over him. If, then, he still does sin, it is because he, not knowing his freedom by faith, permits sin still to rule over him. But it by faith he fully accepts what the word of God thus confirms, then sin has no power over him: he overcomes it by the faith that he is made free from it. (Rom. 5:21; 6:12,14)

* Ro 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

* Ro 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
    * Ro 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.

Then there is freedom from the law. This leads us deeper into the life of grace than freedom from sin. According to Scripture, law and sin always go together. 'The strength of sin is the law:' The law does nothing but make the offense greater. (Rom. 4:15; 5:13,20; 7:13; 1 Cor. 15:56)

* Ro 4:15 Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, there is no transgression.

* Ro 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.
    * Ro 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

* Ro 7:13 Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.

* 1Co 15:56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.

The law is the token of our sinfulness, cannot help us against sin, but with its demand for perfect obedience gives us over hopeless to the power of sin. The Christian who does not discern that he is made free from the law will still always abide under sin. (Rom. 6:15; 7:5)

* Ro 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.

* Ro 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Christ and the law cannot rule over us together: in every endeavour to fulfil the law as believers, we are taken captive by sin. (Rom. 7:5,23)

* Ro 7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.
    * Ro 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

The Christian must know that he is entirely free from the law, from the you must that stands without us and over us: then for the first time shall he know what it is to be free from sin.

Then there is also freedom from the law of sin, actual liberation from the power of sin in our members. What we have in Christ, freedom from sin and from the law, is inwardly appropriated for us by the Spirit of God. 'The law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus made me free from the law of sin and of death.' The Holy Spirit in us takes the place of the law over us. 'If ye are led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.' Freeing from the law is not anything external, but takes place according to the measure the Spirit obtains dominion in us and leads us. 'Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.' According as the law of the Spirit rules in us, we are made free from the law, from the law of sin. We are then free to do what we, as God's children, would fain do, free to serve God. (2 Cor. 3:17; Gal. 5:18)

* 2Co 3:17 Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

* Ga 5:18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2006, 06:23:47 PM »

Free expresses a condition in which nothing hinders me from being what I would be and ought to be. In other words, free is to be able to do what I would. The power of sin over us, the power of the law against us, the power of the law of sin in us, hinder us. But he that stands in the freedom of the Holy Spirit, he that is then truly free, nothing can prevent or hinder him from being what he would be and ought to be. As it is the nature of a tree to grow upwards, and it also grows as it is free from all hindrances, so a child of God then grows to what he ought to be and shall be. And according as the Holy Spirit leads him into this freedom, there springs up the joyful consciousness of his strength for the life of faith. He joyfully shouts: 'I can do all things in Him that strengtheneth me.' 'Thanks be unto God which always leadeth us in triumph in Christ.'

Son of God, anointed with the Spirit to announce freedom to the captives, make me also truly free. Let the Spirit of life in Thee, my Lord, make me free from the law of sin and of death. I am Thy ransomed one. O let me live as Thy freed one, who is hindered by nothing from serving Thee. Amen.

1. The freedom of the Christian extends over his whole life. He is free in relation to the institutions and teachings of men. 'Ye were bought with a price: become not bond-servants of men.' ( 1 Cor. 7:23; Col. 2:20)

* 1Co 7:23 Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men.

* Col 2:20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances

He is free in relation to the world, and in the use of what God gives: he has power to possess it or to dispense with it, to enjoy it or to sacrifice it. (1 Cor. 8:8; 9:4,5)

* 1Co 8:8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.

* 1Co 9:4 Have we not power to eat and to drink?
    * 1Co 9:5 Have we not power to lead about a sister, a wife, as well as other apostles, and as the brethren of the Lord, and Cephas?

2. This freedom is no lawlessness. We are free from sin and the law to serve God in the Spirit. We are not under the law, but give ourselves, with free choice and in love, to Him who loved. us. (Rom. 6:18; Gal. 5:13; 1 Pet. 2:16)

* Ro 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.

* Ga 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

* 1Pe 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.

Not under the law, also not without law; but in the law; a new, a higher law, 'The law of the Spirit of life,' 'the law of liberty,' the law written in our hearts, is our rule and measure. (1 Cor. 9:21; Jas. 1:15; 2:12)

* 1Co 9:21 To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

* Jas 1:15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.

* Jas 2:12 So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.

In this last passage the translation ought to be: 'bound by a law to Christ.'

3. This freedom has its subsistence from the word and also in it: the more the word abides in me, and the truth lives in me, the freer I become. (John 8:31,32,36)

* Joh 8:31 Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
    * Joh 8:32 And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
    * Joh 8:36 If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2006, 06:24:18 PM »

4. Freedom manifests itself in love. I am free from the law, and from men, and from institutions, to be able now like Christ to surrender myself for others. (Rom. 14:13,21; Ga. 5:13; 6:1)

* Ro 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
    * Ro 14:21 It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.

* Ga 5:13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

* Ga 6:1 Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted.

5. This glorious liberty to serve God and our neighbour in love is a spiritual thing. We cannot by any means seize it and draw it to us. It becomes known only by a life in the Holy Spirit. 'Where the Spirit of the Lord is there liberty.' 'If ye are led by the Spirit, ye are not under the law.' It is the Holy Spirit that makes free. Let us suffer ourselves to be introduced by Him into the effectual glorious liberty of the children of God. 'The Spirit of life in Christ Jesus freed me from the law of sin and of death.'

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 28, 2006, 06:24:57 PM »

L. GROWTH

'So is the kingdom of God, as if a man should cast seed upon the earth; and should sleep and rise night and day, and the seed should spring up and grow, he knoweth not how. The earth beareth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, then the full corn in the ear.' -- Mark 4:26-28 'The Head, from whom the whole body increaseth with the increase of God' -- Col. 2:19
'That we may grow into Him which is the Head, even Christ, from whom the whole body maketh the increase.' -- Eph. 4:15,16

Death is always a standing still: life is always movement, progressiveness. Increase or growth is the law of all created life; consequently, the new life in man is destined to increase, and always by becoming stronger. As there are in the seed and in the earth a life and power of growth by which the plant is impelled to have its full height and fruit; so is there in the seed of the eternal life an impelling force by which also that life always increases and grows with a divine growth, until we come to a perfect man, to the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ. (Eph. 4:12; 2 Thess. 1:4)

* Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

* 2Th 1:4 So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure

In this parable of the seed that springs up of itself, and becomes great and bears fruit, the Lord teaches us two of the most important lessons on the increase of the spiritual life. The one is that of its self-sufficiency, the other that of its gradualness.

The first lesson is for those that ask what they are to do in order to grow and advance more in grace. As the Lord said of the body: 'Which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto his stature? consider the lilies of the field how they grow;' so He says to us here that we can do nothing, and need to do nothing, to make the spiritual life grow. (Matt. 6:25,27,28)

* Mt 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
    * Mt 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
    * Mt 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin

Do you not see how, while man slept, the seed sprang up and became high, he knew not how, and how the earth brought forth fruit of itself? When man has once sowed, he must reckon that God cares for the growth: he has not to care: he must trust and rest. And must man then do nothing? He can do nothing: it is from within that the power of life must come: from the life, from the Spirit implanted in him. To the growth itself he can contribute nothing: it shall be given him to grow. (Ps. 92:14; Gal. 2:20; Col. 3:3)

* Ps 92:14 They shall still bring forth fruit in old age; they shall be fat and flourishing;

* Ga 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

* Col 3:3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.

All that he can do is to let the life grow. All that can hinder the life, he must take away and keep away. If there are thorns and thistles that take away place and power in the soil which the plant should have, he can take them away. (Jer. 4:13; Matt. 13:22,23)

* Jer 4:13 Behold, he shall come up as clouds, and his chariots shall be as a whirlwind: his horses are swifter than eagles. Woe unto us! for we are spoiled.

* Mt 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
    * Mt 13:23 But he that received seed into the good ground is he that heareth the word, and understandeth it; which also beareth fruit, and bringeth forth, some an hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty.

The plant must have its place in the earth alone and undivided. For this the husbandman can care: then it grows further of itself. So must the Christian take away what can hinder the growth of the new life: to surrender the heart entire and undivided for the new life, to hold it alone in possession and to fill it, so that it may grow free and unhindered. (Son. 2:15; Heb. 12;1)

* So 2:15 Take us the foxes, the little foxes, that spoil the vines: for our vines have tender grapes.

* Heb 12:1 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us

The husbandman can also bring forward what the plant requires in the way of food or drink: he can manure or moisten the soil as it may be needful. So must the believer see to it that for the new life there is brought forward nourishment out of the word, the living water of the Spirit, by prayer. It is in Christ that the new life is planted: from Him it increases with divine increase: abide rooted in Him by the exercise of faith: the life will grow of itself. (John 15:4,5; Col. 2:6,7)

* John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
    * John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

* Col 2:6 As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:
    * Col 2:7 Rooted and built up in him, and stablished in the faith, as ye have been taught, abounding therein with thanksgiving.

Give it what it must have: take away what can hinder it: the life will grow and increase of itself.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 28, 2006, 06:25:37 PM »

Then comes in the second lesson of the parable: the gradualness of the growth: 'first the blade, then the ear, then the full corn in the ear.' Do not expect everything at once. Give God time. By faith and endurance we inherit the promises: the faith that knows that it has everything in Christ: the endurance that expects everything in its time according to the rule and the order of the divine government. Give God time. Give the new life time. It is by continued abiding in the earth that the plant grows: it is by continuous standing in grace, in Christ Himself, in whom God has planted us, that the new life grows. (Heb. 3:13; 6:12,15; Jas. 5:7)

* Heb 3:13 But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

* Heb 6:12 That ye be not slothful, but followers of them who through faith and patience inherit the promises.
    * Heb 6:15 And so, after he had patiently endured, he obtained the promise.

* Jas 5:7 Be patient therefore, brethren, unto the coming of the Lord. Behold, the husbandman waiteth for the precious fruit of the earth, and hath long patience for it, until he receive the early and latter rain.

Yes: give the new life only sufficient time: time in prayer: time in intercourse with God: time in continuous exercise of faith: time in persistent separation from the world. Give it time: slow but sure, hidden but real, in apparent weakness but with heavenly power, is the divine growth with which the life of God in the soul grows up to the perfect man in Christ.

Lord God, graciously strengthen the faith of Thy children, that their growth and progress are in Thy hands. Enable them to see what a precious, powerful life was implanted in them by Thyself, a life that increases with a divine increase. Enable them by faith and patience to inherit the promises. And teach them in that faith to take away all that can hinder the new life, to bring forward all that can further it, so that Thou mayest make Thy work in them glorious. Amen.

1. For a plant, the principal thing is the son in which it stands and out of which it draws its strength. For the Christian, this also is the principal thing: he is in Christ. Christ is all: he must grow up in Him, for out of Him the body obtains its increase. To abide in Christ by faith -- that is the main thing.

2. Remember that faith must set itself towards a silent restfulness, that growth is just like that of the lilies on God's hands, and that He will see to it that we increase and grow strong.

3. By this firm and joyful faith, we become 'Strengthened with all power according to the might of His glory, unto all patience and long-suffering with joy.' (Col. 1:11)

4. This faith, that God cares for our growth, takes away all anxiety, and gives courage for doing the two things that we have to do: the taking away of what may be obstructive to the new life, the bringing forward of what may be serviceable to it.

5. Observe well the distinction betwixt planting and growing. Planting is the work of a moment: in a moment the earth receives the seed: after that comes the slow growth. Without delay -- immediately must the sinner receive the word: before conversion there is no delay. Then with time follows the growth of the seed.

6. The main thing is Christ: from Him and in Him is our growth. He is the soil that of itself brings forth fruit, we know not how. Hold daily intercourse with Him.

There is a book 'Abide in Christ' (Nisbet & Co.), with meditations for a month on the blessed life of continued fellowship with Him.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 28, 2006, 06:26:23 PM »

LI. SEARCHING THE SCRIPTURES

'O how love I Thy law: it is my meditation all the day.' -- Ps. 119:97
'Ye search (or search ye) the Scriptures: and these are they which bear witness of Me.' -- John 5:39
'The word did not profit them, because they were not united by faith with them that heard.' -- Heb. 4:2

At the beginning of this book there is more than one passage upon the use of God's word in the life of grace. Ere I take leave of my readers, I would fain once again come back to this all-important point. I cannot too earnestly and urgently address this call to my beloved young brothers and sisters: Upon your use of the word of God your spiritual life in great measure depends. Man lives by the word that proceedeth from the mouth of God. Therefore seek with your whole heart to learn how to use God's word aright. To this end, receive the following hints. Read the word more with the heart than with the understanding: with the understanding I would know and comprehend; with the heart I desire, and love, and hold fast. Let the understanding be the servant of the heart. Be much afraid of the understanding of the carnal nature, that cannot receive spiritual things. (1 Cor. 1:12,27; 2:6,12; Col. 2:18)

* 1Co 1:12 Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ.
    * 1Co 1:27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are
    * mighty;

* 1Co 2:6 Howbeit we speak wisdom among them that are perfect: yet not the wisdom of this world, nor of the princes of this world, that come to nought:
    * 1Co 2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

* Col 2:18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind

Deny your understanding, and wait in humility on the Spirit of God. On every occasion, still keep silent amidst your reading of the word, and say to yourselves: this word I now receive in my heart, to love and to let it live in me. (Ps. 119:10,11,47; Rom. 10:8; Jas. 1:21)

* Ps 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
    * Ps 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
    * Ps 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.

* Ro 10:8 But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

* Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.

Read the word always in fellowship with the living God. The power of a word depends on my conviction regarding the man from whom it comes.

First set yourself in loving fellowship with the living God under the impression of His nearness and love: deal with the word under the full conviction that He, the eternal God, is speaking with you; and let the heart be silent to listen to God, to God Himself. (Gen. 17:3; 1 Sam. 3:9,10; Isa. 50:4; 52:6; Jer. 1:2)

* Ge 17:3 And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,

* 1Sa 3:9 Therefore Eli said unto Samuel, Go, lie down: and it shall be, if he call thee, that thou shalt say, Speak, LORD; for thy servant heareth. So Samuel went and lay down in his place.
    * 1Sa 3:10 And the LORD came, and stood, and called as at other times, Samuel, Samuel. Then Samuel answered, Speak; for thy servant heareth.

* Isa 50:4 The Lord GOD hath given me the tongue of the learned, that I should know how to speak a word in season to him that is weary: he wakeneth morning by morning, he wakeneth mine ear to hear as the learned.

* Isa 52:6 Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.

* Jer 1:2 To whom the word of the LORD came in the days of Josiah the son of Amon king of Judah, in the thirteenth year of his reign.

Then the word certainly becomes to you a great blessing. Read the word, as a living word in which the Spirit of God dwells, and that certainly works in those that believe. The word is seed. Seed has life, and grows and yields fruit of itself. The word has life, and of itself grows and yields fruit. (Mark 4:27,28; John 6:63; 1 Thess. 2:13; 1 Pet. 1:23)

* Mr 4:27 And should sleep, and rise night and day, and the seed should spring and grow up, he knoweth not how.
    * Mr 4:28 For the earth bringeth forth fruit of herself; first the blade, then the ear, after that the full corn in the ear.

* Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

* 1Th 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

* 1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 28, 2006, 06:27:23 PM »

If you do not wholly understand it, if you do not feel its power, carry it in your heart; ponder it and meditate upon it: it will of itself begin to yield a working and growth in you. (Ps. 119:15,40,48,69; 2 Tim. 3:16,17)

* Ps 119:15 I will meditate in thy precepts, and have respect unto thy ways.
    * Ps 119:40 Behold, I have longed after thy precepts: quicken me in thy righteousness.
    * Ps 119:48 My hands also will I lift up unto thy commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in thy statutes.
    * Ps 119:69 The proud have forged a lie against me: but I will keep thy precepts with my whole heart.

* 2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
    * 2Ti 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

The Spirit of God is with and in the word.

Read it with the resolve to be, not only a hearer, but a doer of the word. Let the great question be: What would God now have of me with this word? If the answer is: He would have me believe it and reckon upon Him to fulfil it: do this immediately from the heart. If the word is a command of what you are to do, yield yourself immediately to do it. (Matt. 5:19,20; 7:21,24; Luke 11:28; Jas. 1:21,25)

* Mt 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
    * Mt 5:20 For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

* Mt 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    * Mt 7:24 Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

* Lu 11:28 But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.

* Jas 1:21 Wherefore lay apart all filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to save your souls.
    * Jas 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

O there is an unspeakable blessedness in the doing of God's word, and in the surrender of myself to be and to act just as the word says and would have it. Be not hearers, but doers of the word.

Read the word with time. I see more and more that one obtains nothing on earth without time. Give the word time. (WStS Note: Emboldened emphasis is ours.) Give the word time, at every occasion on which you sit down to read it, to come into your heart. Give it time, in the persistence with which you cleave to it, from day to day, and month after month. (Deut. 6:5; Ps. 1:2; 119:97; Jer. 15:16)

* De 6:5 And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might.

* Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

* Ps 119:97 MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.

* Jer 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

By perseverance you become exercised and more accustomed to the word: the word begins to work. Pray, be not dispirited when you do not understand the word. Hold on: take courage: give the word time: later on the word will explain itself. David had to meditate day and night to understand it.

Read the word with a searching of the Scriptures. The best explanation of the Bible is the Bible itself. Take three or four texts upon a point: set them close to one another and compare them. See wherein they agree and wherein they differ; where they say the same thing or again something else. Let the word of God at one time be cleared up and confirmed by what He said at another time on the same subject: this is the safest and the best explanation. Even the sacred writers use this method of instruction with the Scriptures: 'and again.' (Isa. 34:16; John 19:37; Acts. 17:11; Heb. 2:13)

* Isa 34:16 Seek ye out of the book of the LORD, and read: no one of these shall fail, none shall want her mate: for my mouth it hath commanded, and his spirit it hath gathered them.

* Joh 19:37 And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced.

* Ac 17:11 These were more noble than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness of mind, and searched the scriptures daily, whether those things were so.

* Heb 2:13 And again, I will put my trust in him. And again, Behold I and the children which God hath given me.

Do not complain that this method takes too much time and pains: it is worthy of the pains: your pains will be rewarded. On earth you have nothing without pains. (Prov. 2:4,5; 3:13,18; Matt. 13:44)

* Pr 2:4 If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;
    * Pr 2:5 Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God.

* Pr 3:13 Happy is the man that findeth wisdom, and the man that getteth understanding.
    * Pr 3:18 She is a tree of life to them that lay hold upon her: and happy is every one that retaineth her.

* Mt 13:44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.

Even the bread of life we have to eat in the sweat of our face. He that would go to heaven never goes without taking pains. Search the Scriptures: it will be richly recompensed to you.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 28, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »

Young Christian, let one of my last and most earnest words to you be this: on your dealing with the word of God depend your growth, your power, your life. Love God's word then; esteem it sweeter than honey: better than thousands of gold or silver. In the word, God can and will reveal His heart to you. In the word, Jesus will communicate Himself and all His grace. In the word, the Holy Spirit will come in to you, to renew your heart and all your thoughts, according to the mind and will of God. O, then, read not simply enough of the word to keep you from declension, but reckon it one of your chief occupations on earth to yield yourself that God may fill you with His word, that He may fulfil His word in you.

Lord God, what grace it is that Thou speakest to us in Thy word, that we in Thy word have access to Thy heart, to Thy will, to Thy love. O forgive us our sins against Thy precious word. And, Lord, let the new life become so strong by the Spirit in us, that all its desire shall be to abide in Thy word. Amen.

Psalm 119. In the middle of the Bible stands this psalm, in which the praise and the love of God's word are so strikingly expressed. It is not enough for us to read through the divisions of this psalm successively: we must take its principal points, and one with another seek what is said in different passages upon each of these. Let us, for example, take the following points, observing the indications of the answers, and seek in this way to come under the full impression of what is taught us of the glory of God's word:--

1. The blessing that the word gives. Verses, 1,2,6,9,11,14,24,45,46,47, and so on.

* Ps 119:1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
    * Ps 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
    * Ps 119:6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
    * Ps 119:9 BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
    * Ps 119:11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
    * Ps 119:14 I have rejoiced in the way of thy testimonies, as much as in all riches.
    * Ps 119:24 Thy testimonies also are my delight and my counsellors.
    * Ps 119:45 And I will walk at liberty: for I seek thy precepts.
    * Ps 119:46 I will speak of thy testimonies also before kings, and will not be ashamed.
    * Ps 119:47 And I will delight myself in thy commandments, which I have loved.

2. The appellations that in this psalm are given to God's word.

3. How we have to handle the word. (Observe -- walk -- keep -- mark -- and so on.)

4. Prayer for divine teaching. Verses 5,10,12,18,19,26.

* Ps 119:5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
    * Ps 119:10 With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
    * Ps 119:12 Blessed art thou, O LORD: teach me thy statutes.
    * Ps 119:18 Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.
    * Ps 119:19 I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.
    * Ps 119:26 I have declared my ways, and thou heardest me: teach me thy statutes.

5. Surrender to obedience to the word. Verses 93,105,106,112,128,133.

* Ps 119:93 I will never forget thy precepts: for with them thou hast quickened me.
    * Ps 119:105 NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
    * Ps 119:106 I have sworn, and I will perform it, that I will keep thy righteous judgments.
    * Ps 119:112 I have inclined mine heart to perform thy statutes alway, even unto the end.
    * Ps 119:128 Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.
    * Ps 119:133 Order my steps in thy word: and let not any iniquity have dominion over me.

6. God's word the basis of our prayer. Verses 41,49,58,76,107,116,170.

* Ps 119:41 VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
    * Ps 119:49 ZAIN. Remember the word unto thy servant, upon which thou hast caused me to hope.
    * Ps 119:58 I intreated thy favour with my whole heart: be merciful unto me according to thy word.
    * Ps 119:76 Let, I pray thee, thy merciful kindness be for my comfort, according to thy word unto thy servant.
    * Ps 119:107 I am afflicted very much: quicken me, O LORD, according unto thy word.
    * Ps 119:116 Uphold me according unto thy word, that I may live: and let me not be ashamed of my hope.
    * Ps 119:170 Let my supplication come before thee: deliver me according to thy word.

7. Observance as the ground of confidence in prayer. Verses 77,159,176.

* Ps 119:77 Let thy tender mercies come unto me, that I may live: for thy law is my delight.
    * Ps 119:159 Consider how I love thy precepts: quicken me, O LORD, according to thy lovingkindness.
    * Ps 119:176 I have gone astray like a lost sheep; seek thy servant; for I do not forget thy commandments.

8. Observance as promised upon the hearing of prayer. Verses 8,17,33,32,44.

* Ps 119:8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
    * Ps 119:17 GIMEL. Deal bountifully with thy servant, that I may live, and keep thy word.
    * Ps 119:33 HE. Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end.
    * Ps 119:32 I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.
    * Ps 119:44 So shall I keep thy law continually for ever and ever.

9. The power to observe the word. Verses 32,36,41,42,117,135,146.

* Ps 119:32 I will run the way of thy commandments, when thou shalt enlarge my heart.
    * Ps 119:36 Incline my heart unto thy testimonies, and not to covetousness.
    * Ps 119:41 VAU. Let thy mercies come also unto me, O LORD, even thy salvation, according to thy word.
    * Ps 119:42 So shall I have wherewith to answer him that reproacheth me: for I trust in thy word.
    * Ps 119:117 Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: and I will have respect unto thy statutes continually.
    * Ps 119:135 Make thy face to shine upon thy servant; and teach me thy statutes.
    * Ps 119:146 I cried unto thee; save me, and I shall keep thy testimonies.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 28, 2006, 06:28:35 PM »

10. The praise of God's word. Verses 54,72,97,129,130,144.

* Ps 119:54 Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.
    * Ps 119:72 The law of thy mouth is better unto me than thousands of gold and silver.
    * Ps 119:97 MEM. O how love I thy law! it is my meditation all the day.
    * Ps 119:129 PE. Thy testimonies are wonderful: therefore doth my soul keep them.
    * Ps 119:130 The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.
    * Ps 119:144 The righteousness of thy testimonies is everlasting: give me understanding, and I shall live.

11. The confident confession of obedience. Verses 102,110,121,168.

* Ps 119:102 I have not departed from thy judgments: for thou hast taught me.
    * Ps 119:110 The wicked have laid a snare for me: yet I erred not from thy precepts.
    * Ps 119:121 AIN. I have done judgment and justice: leave me not to mine oppressors.
    * Ps 119:168 I have kept thy precepts and thy testimonies: for all my ways are before thee.

12. Personal intercourse with God, seen in the use of Thou and I, Thine and Mine.

I have merely mentioned a few points and a few verses. Seek out more and mark them, until your mind is filled with the thoughts about the word, which the Spirit of God desires to give you. Read with great thoughtfulness the words of that man of faith, George Mueller. He says: 'The power of our spiritual life will be according to the measure of the room that the word of God takes up in our life and in our thoughts.' After an experience of fifty-four years, I can solemnly declare this. For three years after my conversion I used the word little. Since that time I searched it with diligence, and the blessing was wonderful. From that time, I have read the Bible through a hundred times in order, and at every time with increasing joy. Whenever I start a fresh with it, it appears to me as a new book. I cannot express how great the blessing is of faithful, daily, regular searching of the Bible. The day is lost for me, on which I have used no rounded time for enjoying the word of God. 'Friends sometimes say: I have so much to do, that I can find no time for regular Bible study. I believe that there are few that have to work harder than I have. Yet it remains a rule with me never to begin my work until I have had real sweet fellowship with God. After that I give myself heartily to the business of the day, that is, to God's work, with only intervals of some minutes of prayer.'

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the