Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 02:14:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286978 Posts in 27572 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Universalism?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Universalism?  (Read 2073 times)
LittlePilgrim

Little pilgrim, walking down the road of life...

View Profile
« on: July 31, 2006, 09:23:53 PM »

Alright... Firstly, in case any red flags were raised by the title of this thread, I am NOT speaking of traditional, polytheistic universalism (That is, 'everyone worships the same god in their own way and everyone will be allowed into heaven in the end because a loving god would never send anyone to hell...' mentality.)

Actually, what I am speaking of is Christian Universalism. Or rather, that is what I am asking about. It was something brought up on another Christian discussion forum. As I understand it, Christian universalists believe that every person is covered by the blood of Jesus, and that in the end, when all things are restored, they too will be. Their belief seems to line up more with the catholic doctrine of purgatory than traditional universalists.

Here's the major problem I have with it. I believe that the sacrifice of Jesus is SUFFICIENT for all humanity and more. But I do not believe it is BENIFICAL to all humanity... That is, not everyone will share in its blessings. And for all the debate I've seen on this issue, I've never seen an answer to a very simple question I put forth.. That is, why is John 3:16 worded as it is?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever BELIEVES in Him should not perish but have everlasting life..."
(Emphasis mine)

Why is this verse, which is the one verse in the Bible written especially so that the unbeliever can understand it, worded to say that whosoever BELIEVES in Jesus will inherit everlasting life? Doesn't Universalism fly in the face of this?

Has anyone here ever heard of this form of universalism? What do you know of it, and what are your thoughts on it? I'd appreciate any insight you could offer. Smiley

For I am only human, not some hero of the faith/ I'm merely an example of God's mercy and His grace/ I keep my eyes on Jesus when my gains become a loss/ As I stumble to the cross. -Stumble, Timothy Mark
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2006, 09:54:36 PM »

Nope.. never heard of it, Sounds like another Cult,, trying to take out any meaning to the very verse you gave;
"For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever BELIEVES in Him should not perish but have everlasting life..."
. to be saved.. is very simple... to Believe in Jesus/have Faith in Him....
That is, 'everyone worships the same god in their own way and everyone will be allowed into heaven in the end
well... not everyone does worship the same God... I mean... Either ya believe in what the Holy Bible tells ya from the Alpha to the Omega ... that there is one God and THE only way to the Father is JESUS!

( I just worked a long day... so forgive me if I don't make sense here.. I'm wiped out... LOL)

LittlePilgrim

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2006, 10:03:09 PM »

I totally agree with that last statement, Tina. However, I don't know enough about CU to agree with your first or not. That's why I'm asking. I want to find out as much as I can from a Biblical perspective. Smiley

For I am only human, not some hero of the faith/ I'm merely an example of God's mercy and His grace/ I keep my eyes on Jesus when my gains become a loss/ As I stumble to the cross. -Stumble, Timothy Mark
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »

Yes I have heard of it. It is not Biblical either. Christian Universalism is also known as Universal Reconciliation. This is the doctrine or belief that all will eventually find salvation and reconciliation with God, going to heaven sometime after death. This is a non-Biblical teaching. As difficult as it is to accept not all will be saved. John 3:16 must be taken into context with the rest of scripture and not by itself.

Jam 2:19  Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.

Take note the wording of the verses that follow John 3:16.

Joh 3:17  For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.
Joh 3:18  He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

What is it that we must believe? Not just in Him but on Him. That He came into this world to save us through His shed blood on the cross. Those that do not believe in and on Him fully do no more than the devils. This is what is meant by faith saves.

Eph 2:8  For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Those that believe in this false theology overlook the scriptures that tell us that not all will be saved but this is not the doing of God but of men rejecting Him.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
LittlePilgrim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 10:34:35 PM »

Thanks for the input, Pastor Roger. I always look forward to seeing what you have to say on such matters. Smiley

I agree that it is not a Biblical doctrine. I guess that's why it disturbs me to see a few otherwise wonderful Christians falling into its snare.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 10:47:14 PM »

You're most welcome. I'm glad to be of assistance.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 10:57:15 PM »

I did a thread on cults, you might want to look there.

Cults, Different groups

LittlePilgrim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 11:32:55 PM »

Thanks for the link, Dreamweaver. I wish you would keep updating that thread as it was quite interesting. But I understand if your responsibilities as a mod prevent you from doing so. Smiley

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 12:39:12 AM »

I will try LP sometime, to update it LP. Cheesy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the